Chapter 21

Worth The Bets

A/N: I know this story has a very slow update and I would like to apologize for that. So here's a new chapter and I hope you enjoy it (Sorry that it is not that long) Don't forget to subscribe and leave comments below. Love ya :D

~~~~~

 

After 3 hours of endless training, I am finally in my zone even though I am exhausted. Mr. Kevin has finally asked Junsu and I to have a battle after all what we did was punching and kicking on the punching bag. My hair starts to get messy so I take off my gloves and tie it into a neat ponytail. Junsu is already in the middle of the mattress. I know he has been waiting for the moment to punch me on the face for a very long time.

I put back on my gloves with the help from Mr. Kevin. When I have my gloves on, I walk to the middle of the mattress and face Junsu.

“Remember, I don’t want you to break each other. This is just a practice. Take it a little bit lightly. We need your limps for the real tournament. I will take the score. 3 hits for you to win” Mr. Kevin says. We just nod as a sign that we understand what he wants for tonight’s practice. “You may start now”

Junsu and I get into our position. We stare into each other’s eyes. I wait for him to attack me first because that is how I always do in the ring. He takes a step toward me and gives me an under chin fist. I am fast enough that I dodge it. I steady my breath and attack him on his waist with a side kick. He flinches because of the pain but it isn’t strong enough for him to fall. I quickly step forward and wrap my hand around his neck. With my other hand, I give him several punches on his stomach. He tries to avoid it when I lock his leg with my leg and that makes him fall on his back. He groans in pain.

Without thinking further, I sit on him. I try to punch him on his face but he avoids it with his hands.  I punch him on his chest and when he finally moves his hands away, I punch him on the face. He screams in pain.

“That’s a point for Lee Junka. Get up Kim Junsu. You are humiliating me” Mr. Kevin says.

I get up from Junsu and I help him to get up. “Is that legal? Punching in the chest?” he asks. I could clearly see from his face that he’s frustrated that I got the first point on our first match.

Mr. Kevin nods.  “That’s legal. You can do that during the tournament” 

Junsu gently rubs his chest with his gloved hand. “But it almost killed me. What if the punch is too strong that I stop breathing and die immediately?” he complains.

“You are not going to die. A punch on the chest is not that painful compared to on your stomach or on your ribs. A punch on the chest will only give you a temporary shock. That’s it” Mr. Kevin explains.

Junsu glares at me. I just shrug. I don’t really know the rules or how biologically our body works. I only fight just like how I always did in the ring.

“I think we should take a break. We’ve been training for 3 hours straight. We are exhausted and my body is starting to get sore” he complains again.

I never hear he complain anything about the training. I thought he might be really tired or something was going wrong that he isn’t being himself today. He nudges my elbow and I quickly nod. “Yes. We need a rest. Both physically and mentally” I say.

“10 minutes break and we will continue this fight. There will be no training for tomorrow but we will be having training for the next few days until the competition day. Do we have the deal?” Mr. Kevin asks.

I am pretty surprise of that sudden deal. I shrug. “I don’t mind. I’m okay with it”

I look at Junsu and he looks like he’s thinking of something. At that moment I know that there is something wrong between the brothers but I decide not to interfere. They are so good at hiding their relationship as biological brothers so I think this problem of theirs should be remain unknown as well.

“Deal” Junsu says.

“Good” Mr. Kevin says before he walks out of the gym, leaving only Junsu and I.

I walk to my bag pack that I put against the wall. I take out my water bottle and drink the water in it. Junsu sits against the wall while he wipes his sweat with a small towel.

“He’s crazy” he mutters.

I heard what he said but I pretend I don’t because I really don’t want to get involve with their problems. Instead, I just keep on drinking my water until it becomes empty. I put back the bottle inside the bag and take out my phone.

There is a message from Mina. It has been awhile since I last heard of her. I open the text message.

“UNNI! HELP!”

From the message I know something is not right. Suddenly, my phone rings and it is Nina who is calling me this time.

“Hello” I say as I answer the phone.

“Unni. Is Mina with you right now?” she asks on the line. Her voice sounds like it’s an emergency and she sounds nervous.

“No. She’s not with me. Why?” I ask.

I can hear she sobs on the line. It must be something awful. “Mina ran away from home. She left a note saying that she’s leaving to achieve her dream as a boxer. In that note, she said that she finally met an organization that could make her dream comes true and I thought she ran away to you”

I gasp. The news shocks me. “She’s not with me. Actually, I haven’t meet or contact her for quite a long time. Where is your brother? Does he know about this too?” I ask.

“He is not at home and I’ve tried calling him but he didn’t answer the phone” she explains. I can hear that she’s about to burst into tears.

Only then I remember about the organization. The organization that lures young girls into what-so-called a boxing organization, but they are actually an organization for ion. Sir Scott had warned me about it few days ago. Mina had definitely fallen for the tricks and I know just where to find her.

“Where are you now and where is your mother?” I ask.

“We are at home and mum doesn’t know about this yet because I know that she will freak out” she says.

“Okay Nina. First, I need you to calm down. Then, I need you to tell your mum and ask her to make a police report immediately. After that, I need you to stay at home with your mother in case she comes home. Don’t forget to call your brother and inform him as well. Let him go and find her. I think I know where she went because I’ve heard about this organization.” I explain. “I will find her”

“Okay unni. Please be careful” she says.

“You too” I say before I hang up.  I quickly keep my phone inside the bag and zip it.

“Where are you going? You sound like there is an emergency” Junsu asks.

I put on my bag strap on my shoulder. “Please tell Mr. Kevin that there really is an emergency and I cannot continue the training. I will make up the remaining training hours the day after tomorrow. I have to go now. Bye” I say as I run out of the gym. I hear Junsu shouts my name but I ignore him because I have to get hurried.

As soon as I get outside of the school, I see a man about to get on a taxi. I dash towards him, push him away and hope on. The man yells at me from outside the taxi but I already asked the taxi driver to start driving. I direct him to the warehouse of the illegal match. I don’t know how I know this but I’m pretty sure Mina must be there since Sir Scott said that these people claimed that they are from Sir Scott’s organization but they are not. So I assume that they aim for girls that always come to watch the match.

After 20 minutes of drive, I arrive at the warehouse. I paid the taxi driver and quickly get out from the taxi. I look around the surrounding – searching if there is any spot that looks suspicious to me.

Suddenly, I see a black van drives into an alley between the old buildings across the warehouse. The building used to be a law firm but after they’ve gone through bankruptcy, they left it abundant and unrepaired. It is not being properly maintained that a lot of trees grow around the building and creating a jungle around it. I carefully cross the road and head to the building.

I slowly and quietly walk along the alley to the back of the building. The alley is dark but I still can see the path – thanks to the dimmed wall lamps for every 5 meters, which I have no idea how it can still light up even though the building has been abundant for quite a few years. Someone must have been using it. Only the back of the building is shining brightly. I lean against the wall as I see the van stops in front of a metal door. Soon after that, the door opens and a man with messy facial hair stands at the threshold. “What do you want?” he asks.

I listen to their conversation just to make sure that they are really as what I expected. If they are not, I will just have to get out of here as soon as possible before they see me.

The man whom drove the van got out from the van. He takes out a box of cigar from his pocket. He lights one up and blew the excess smoke into the air. “I am here for the delivery”

 “Wait here” the messy man says.

“How is she?” the driver asks before the messy man could turn around to go back inside.

“She’s strong but not strong enough. We gave her the pills so she is unconscious and weak right now. She is actually quite heavy for a skinny girl” the messy man explains.

The pills. I don’t think it is just a regular type of pills that make you pass out. Probably it is some kind of drugs that make people weak both physically and mentally.

“Okay then. Just bring her out. We don’t want to waste any more time” the driver complains.

The messy man gets back inside. I rummage through my bag to look up for my jacket but I left it at the gym. I only wear a singlet, a long track pants and my sports shoes. I totally forgot that it is cold outside. I was such in hurry that I forgot my jacket. Then I fish out my phone and quickly text  Junyoung.

“Come to the back of the building across the warehouse quickly and save your sister”

I keep back my phone inside the bag and ignore the cold when I see the messy man comes out again with another man. This man has a mask on his face and he is carrying someone. The messy man holds the door for the masked man. The masked man walks out of the door with a girl in his hand. From the long black hair, I recognize her as Mina and she really is!

I look around me if there is anything I can grab as defense or as weapon. Luckily, I find a few metal rods on the floor near my feet. I put my bag down and I bend down to take the road. Suddenly, I hear the sound of trigger so close to my ear.

“Put that down” a man’s voice says. I did as what he told me. “Get up and put your hands up” he continues. I put my hands up into the air and slowly get up. “Now turn around”

I did as what he told me. I turn around to face him. He isn’t the driver or the messy man. He is someone else. His head is bald and he has earrings on both of his ears.  He has an abstract shaped tattoo on his neck that snake up to his face and he is wearing a black leather jacket with black jeans.

“I know you” he says while the gun is still pointed at my head. “You are Lee Junka. You are the girl from the match across this building. I can’t believe I’ll meet you here in this condition” A mocking smile curved on his old and wrinkled face. “What are you doing here?”

“I’m here to beat you up” I answer with a smirk.

“Nice try girl” Suddenly, we heard someone calls his name.

“Hey. What are you doing there?” It’s the driver’s voice. I am still standing near the building so the people at the back alley still can’t see me. Probably they can’t see that this baldy’s hand is pointing out with a gun in his hands too. That is why he asked. “Come on. We have to go now”

“You should come here. I met someone interesting here” This time, it’s a smirk instead of the mocking smile. I try to get the thoughts of how awful he looks like with that abstract tattoo moves whenever he smiles or smirks. It is quite disturbing actually. Then, I hear footsteps walking towards us.

I know that no I am in danger. So I grab the gun he is holding with both hands when he’s still talking and I give him few knee kicks on his stomach making him groans in pain.  He loosens the grip on his gun so I quickly take the gun and give him an under-chin fist. A kick on his rib and he fell on the road – unconscious.

Since I have the gun in my hands, I hold it tight and reach my hands out before I turn to the back of the building. I never use a gun before or see a real one so it makes me nervous. But I have seen this many times in the movie so there should be not a problem to me. I try to steady my breath and maintain my calm expression. I don’t want them to think that I’m scared. So I have to always look calm.

I face the driver. The driver has a gun as well and he is pointing at me. “Put your gun down” I say.

Then suddenly, the messy man comes out from the building and walks towards us with his gun in his hands – pointing at me.

“You!” the messy man yells. ”Put your gun down!” I look at them and I know I am outnumbered. I did as what they told me. I put the gun down and slide it to them. I spot a metal rod just about my reach. “Get up now and put your hands behind your head” he shouts.

My eyes are fixed on them – trying to convince them that I am not going to do anything. So, I just follow his order. I slowly get up and put my hands behind my head. I thought of a trick just to distract them for a moment. I remember that they have put Mina inside the van. I widen my eyes as I look behind them and make a surprise expression.

“Mina! Help me!” I scream.

Both of them turn their heads over their shoulders. For that instant, I kick both of their hands and their guns are thrown right away. I bend down to take the metal rod I saw earlier. The driver is about to attack me from my back but I elbow him hard on his private area. He groans in pain as he covers his private area – trying to reduce the pain.

I see the messy man is trying to get the gun but I am faster. I dash to him and when he just about to bend down, I hit his back with the metal rod. He takes a few steps back. He then kicks me on my side. I didn’t manage to avoid it but I hit his side with the metal rod follow by a strong poke on his stomach. He grasps the rod with both of his hands and pulls it from me. I then kick his hands that the rod is thrown away. I approach him and give him a few of knee kicks as I hold his head down.

I take a glance behind me and I see the driver has managed to stand straight again. I give the messy man the final blow with an under chin punch. It is strong that he actually is thrown back a little before he falls on the road with blood dripping from his mouth and nose.

I turn to look at the driver and I was in ready position. He approaches me and punches me on my face but I manage to avoid it with both of my hands. My fingers are curled into a fist and I put them up – blocking from getting more punches on the face. He punches me several times until my shield is weak and I can’t block it anymore. He takes the opportunity by punching hard on my cheeks. I get thrown away and fall on my side. I could feel the inside of my mouth bleeds. The punch was so strong that it takes me awhile to get back to my senses. I spit out the blood that pooled inside my mouth and I shake my head.

The driver approaches me and he kicks me on my ribs. That is very painful as I spit more blood and groan in pain. He is about to kick me again but I am faster than him this time. I kick him at his private area again. He back away. I punch him on his face follow by a kick on his side. I kick him under his face and he is thrown away. He falls on the road and is unconscious.

I waste no time. I quickly run to the van and slide open the back door.  Mina is lying on the seat at the back – still unconscious. 

I hear someone calls my name. “Junka”. I turn my head to where the voice comes from and Junyoung is standing there alone at the corner. His shirt wets with sweat and he looks like he is out of breath. He looks at the 3 unconscious men on the road and turns his gaze back at me.

I can’t read his expression because he is still handsome even in this situation. I shake my head and I beckon to him. “Your sister” I say as I try to steady my breath. “She’s unconscious” I point inside the van.

He dashes to me. I step away to give him enough space to look at his sister. I can feel the blood that is pooling inside my mouth so I spit it on the road.

Junyoung gets on the van as he tries to wake Mina up. He slightly slaps her face few times while calling out her name. “Yah Moon Mina. Wake up. It’s me! Your oppa. Wake up now!”  

After that I hear a mumble. “Oppa?” Mina says.

“I think you should carry her” I say. Junyoung looks at me with a worry expression. “I heard they said they gave her some pills. I think it is some kind of drug. Her eyes are still heavy to open and I don’t think she can walk on her own” I add.

To my surprise, he nods. I thought he would say something like, ‘Who are you to give me this kind of advice?’

He helps Mina to sit first. I take her hand and I wrap it around my neck.  Junyoung gets out of the van and he puts his hands under her knees and behind her back. I help Junyoung by wrapping Mina’s hand around his neck so that she will not fall.

Junyoung turns on his heels and he starts walking fast. I follow him from behind. Mina’s eyes flutter as she is trying to fix it with the dim lights around us. Suddenly, she shouts, “Unni!”

My head suddenly feels hurt and I hear the sound of glass shattering. I put my hand behind my head and I can feel there is some kind of thick liquid on it. I look at my hand and examine the liquid. It’s blood. I look at the person who hit me. It is the man with the mask. I’ve totally forgotten about him when I fought with the other two men. I look at the shattered glass on the road. It’s the beer bottle. Since my ears are ringing from the hit, I can’t hear anything. All I can hear is inaudible sound. I can feel my blood running down on the back of my neck but I ignor it.

Instead of feeling pain, I am actually feeling angry because I hate it when people attack me from behind and by surprise. To me, it’s a coward act. I stare into the man’s eyes and I know he’s scared even though half of his face is covered with the mask. “You shouldn’t attack a boxer from behind” I say.

I land a punch on his face follow by a strong kick under his chin. He is thrown away and he falls on the road immediately.

I turn to look back at Junyoung and Mina is now conscious enough that she is standing on her feet but still leaning onto her brother. I know they are scared of me. I can see it on their faces. My head is spinning and my ears are ringing. I try to endure the pain as I walk to the wall at the corner to pick up my bag.

I feel someone grabs me by my elbow but I harshly jerk my arm away. My head hurt so much and my vision is spinning. I can’t think properly. I touch the back of my head where I got hit and it is still bleeding. I look at the blood on my hand and it no longer red – it is black. Then, everything around me become blur before it turns to pitch black.