The Other Proposal

My Secret is your Secret
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

 

 

 

Sungyeol’s POV

 

 

“Sir, we’ve been going in this horse-drawn carriage in the middle of the summer without stopping.” I heard the soldier given to accompany us complain for the umpteenth time. I sighed and rolled my eyes as I clench my fists to restrain my annoyance.

 

Admittedly, we really were going around non-stop under the intense heat of the sun for the past six hours, drawing the carriage behind us, which carries the prince and his current choice of a candidate for a wife. See, the prince planned to tour that commoner around the castle.

 

Pfft. I still don't get why that prince is so set on marrying that commoner. I mean, he IS a commoner and his Highness is royalty. They're heaven and earth apart for god's sake!

 

 

But, good thing that commoner is not the type to quickly accept royal proposals. At least he still have some decency left in him.

 

Really, what is it with him that the prince refuses all of my lists of suitable wife candidates anyway?

 

 

 

 

I still remember that accursed day at the chamber, when I was busy and perfectly citing all the best candidates for the prince and yet he cut me off and told me to shut up and made me have a commoner named Lee Sungjong be summoned to the castle.

 

Of course, being an obedient royal adviser I am, I quickly went to the house of this Lee Sungjong and presented him to the prince. The prince gleefully welcomed him into the castle and into his chamber after telling him that the both of them have important matters to discuss. But to me it seemed more like as to keep this Lee Sungjong around for long.

 

Clueless as to why the prince would even want a commoner to stand in front of him, moreover discuss important matter with him, I stayed inside the prince's chamber and eavesdropped to their obvious conversation.

 

 

"Please become my wife, Lee Sungjong." The prince suddenly said out of nowhere, making me choke on an invisible candy caught inside my throat.

 

 

The other occupants of the chamber all turned to me and threw me unreadable looks on their faces. I quickly regained my composure and stepped up, bravely disagreeing with the prince's proposal. "What is this? Your Highness, I object!" I shrieked and pointed a finger at the commoner. "He's a subject of your kingdom! A commoner! He isn't fit to belong to the royal family!"

 

 

"Yah!" The commoner yelled at me and placed both of his hands on his hips. "Don't you think you're insulting me too much with your finger pointing?!"

 

 

I glared at him and scanned him from head to toe. "And you must be experiencing an eyesight problem right now, your Highness. Clearly, this commoner is a guy like you and me, more to give you a reason to not make him into your wife." 

 

 

"He's right, prince Myungsoo! I am a guy! Why would you even make me your wife?!" the commoner has surprisingly agreed with me. 

 

 

Looks like this commoner ain't no ultimate opportunist like how I think of low people are usually. Good.

 

Shuffling of feet was heard, and before I knew it, the prince was already standing beside the commoner. He wrapped one arm around his waist and pulled him closer to him. Both me and the commoner shrieked. Him probably out of surprise, whereas me, out of terror.

 

"Sungyeol-shii, clearly, my eyesight right now is very good." Prince Myungsoo began to speak as I watch his hand unconsciously rubbing the squirming commoner's hip. "I know perfectly well that Lee Sungjong is a guy like you and me." He continued before smirking at mea evilly. "And I know that you know perfectly well what will happen to you if you opposed more to my decisions, am I right?"

 

I gulped. I completely forgot how pushy and stubborn this prince is. if I oppose more, most probably I'll lose my job. I sighed.

 

"Fine." I raised my hands up as a sign of defeat and left the chamber.

 

 

 

 

After that day, I have tried to control myself fom opposing the prince about his wife. But of course I haven't restrained myself from bullying the commoner. That's the only thing I can do that won't make me lose my job. Plus, I still am yet silently making several princess interviews.

 

The other soldier however still won't stop frowning and complaining and it's annoying me to the maximum level. 

 

 

I better tell his highness to relieve this soldier off of his duties. I muttered to myself before speaking to him in a very annoyed tone, “It can’t be helped.”

 

 

I turned around, towards the carriage’s direction that was right behind us and bowed with eyes closed. “Prince Myungsoo, until we get you through there…” A low growl emitted at the background, interrupting me from explaining. I lift my head up and my eyes widened at what I am seeing right now.

 

The carriage was still there, however, an additional object, or rather creature, was added onto the picture.

 

 

“It’s… IT’S HERE! IT’S A DEMON!” I began to yell and panic that I grabbed the other soldier by the collar, both of us not knowing what to do. I have to get the prince and escape! I quickly think of and as I was about to run towards the carriage to save the prince and get him to safety, a sudden strong gush of wind went past me.

 

 

“Sungjong-shii!” I called as I watch the commoner stand in-between the space of mine and the huge demon. What the hell does he think is he doing?! Is he showing off to the prince or something that he’s a worthy choice for a “wife”? Pfft.

 

 

“From here on, I’ll take care of things.” I heard Sungjong-shii speak from the front, snapping me out of my mean and low thoughts of him as I notice that he is keeping a sharp eye on the demon panther that is slowly approaching him.

 

 

“B-but… Sungjong-shii is…”

 

 

Well now I am not sure if he’s either showing off or he’s just really crazy. One huge sway of those paws, he’ll be done for. 

Please log in to read the full chapter