6. The necklace

A chance encounter

 "Where words fail, music speaks" -Hans Christian Anderson

 

                              

 

      Hwa young

     

Dinner went fine, it seemed like everyone was having fun, Yongguk though kept looking down every time she spoke. He's probably still embarrassed about the incident out in the back. To be honest, it was the most emotion she’s seen from him so far when he came here. Maybe it took him a while to warm up she guessed, jet lag can get you cranky and moody, she knows she does that when she gets jetlag but maybe its something else.

 

She’s tried getting his attention but everytime he looked up he'd lower his head back down or look around the room at something else. Hwa young got discouraged since she thought he would open up more but nothing.

 

Himchan seemed to notice the atmosphere dulling and poked Yongguk "What's wrong yongguk, cat got your tongue" he teased and he finally relaxed, "No, its just I'm sort of still tired I guess". Before she could add, she heard the click of keys which can only mean that mom is finally back.

 

      "Hello, Hwa young are you there?" Called out her mother she bowed to excuse herself and stood up to go to the front door and greet her. A woman in her late 30s with black hair tied up was taking off her shoes. She had an aura of authority but confidence that radiated with her. She smiled reassuringly and pulled me into a hug and kissed her softly on the cheek.

 

"Is everything alright, Hwa young?" She asked, Hwa young nodded and replied

 

"Everything's fine, Mr Yoo is here and he also apologizes that he brought two other people with him if that's alright?"

 

"Of course dear, he doesn't have to apologize" She beckoned her to come to the dining room since that's where they were eating at the moment. Mr Yoo, Yongguk and Himchan stood up as my mom walked in, they all bowed politely.

 

"You don't have to bow just sit and eat" She bowed back and told them to continue eating as she grabbed a chair and sat next to Hwa young.

 

"And who would these two handsome gentlemen be?" Hwa young’s mom smiled warmly at both, making them blush, she would instantly make anyone feel welcomed at home no matter what. She didn’t seem particularly depressed lately, despite going through with all the preparations for the funeral lately.

 

Mr Yoo introduced them "Ah, Ms Eung, this is Bang Yongguk and Kim Himchan they're part of B.A.P; the group I was telling you about a few weeks back. I'm sorry for not updating you sooner with any info but I'm sure your daughter has heard of them"

 

"Yes, I have well from my friend Lilly who's been really a big fan of you guys, so I get all the latest updates from her haha" Hwa young spoke as Mr Yoo smiled and Yongguk and Himchan nodded with Himchan adding a smile of contentment.

 

"Ahh that's why they looked familiar, I remember Shin telling me about them, since they looked very promising as musicians" She pleasantly smiled at the two, Hwa young’s mom worked also in the music industry as a composer/Pianist, she started playing when she was 6 and composing at 7.

 

Its why they have the grand piano in the center of the room since she's kept it for as long as 15 years. After the hours passed with Mr Yoo, Yongguk and Himchan all talking with my mom she finally had enough and yawned. .

 

"Well it was very nice meeting you and I hope you enjoy Vancouver, I'm sure Hwa young showed you your rooms already, I'll be sleeping early since I have other business deals to finish with for the company" With that she stood up and bowed then left the dining room.

 

"Oh Hwa young, before you go to sleep I need to give you something" She looked at her mom and reluctantly also bowed back to the other three and followed her mom back upstairs.

 

      She followed her mom into her room and dad's, she proceeded to rummage around in one of the drawers and took out what looked like a tin box with the sound of things tinkling around. She handed it to Hwa young,

 

“Here, it was your father's, I know it’s sudden but since the funeral is this weekend I wanted you to also deliver a Eulogy to your father and perhaps find anything you want in this tin. It was something I never touched but your father said he would promise to give it to you if anything happened."

 

     Slowly she reached out to grab the tin box but, yet she felt reluctant to give it back since, she didn't even know what else to do. She'll be straight out honest that she didn't really want be touching around in his stuff especially since he hid a lot from her. There were times that she wished he could be straight honest and tell her, but shook the thought off since he probably will settle it with her mom. She always was her biggest supporter after Hwa young.

 

"Can't you do the eulogy for dad, since I'm not that good at doing these sort of speeches" She frowned and reassured me.

 

"No, I don't think I should, you're his daughter I'm sure you had nice things to say about him" She blinked and looked down, yes I did but they were more of when I was younger if you were to ask her any recent memories, she’d have said barely anything since his work was also keeping him from coming home most of the time.

 

    But I should give it a try and be compliant since her mom has been doing so much lately, "Also we need a picture of your father, will you help me?" She nodded and would try and look through the scrapbooks they had to find a picture of him. Coming back down with the tin box to the dining room she saw that everything was cleaned up.

 

"You should have just left it since I would have cleaned it up" The three of them looked up to Hwa young and shook their heads, Himchan reassured her.

 

       "No Hwa young, I felt you already have more to do than clean dishes so might as well" Himchan said as he wiped off the table.

 

"Himchan's right, we can tell that you and your mom have both been stressed with the whole funeral, we might as well lessen the burden" Yongguk said, as he continued to wash the dishes.

 

   "Did you have any hand in this persuasion Mr Yoo" She looked at him as he was wiping off the clean dishes and finding where to put it.

 

"No actually the boys did really want to help you and your mom out, I've been just following along with them" He laughed.

 

She sighed a relief as it felt like having a huge burden off her chest.

 

The house the past days had been neglected and her mom sent all of the cleaning maids and gardeners off from rest since she said they didn't have to work so hard. But in return Hwa young had to stay at home to clean the house and just occasionally look after the garden.

 

"Well, if you need any extra help I'll be out in the garden" She slipped out from the door and walked towards the gazebo, she opened up the tin box and something small and shiny fell out. She picked it up and realized it was a necklace, small and had a single thing on it, a treble clef note with a small diamond in the middle.

 

 

"Is this suppose to be mine" I wondered as I rummaged through the other things in it, a slip of paper, photos, tickets, and a small polaroid camera. There were photos of her and her dad when they were younger, she instantly felt a pang of sadness over her.

 

Why give this to me now?

 

                                              Himchan

 

After Hwa young had left to accompany her mother upstairs, he realized that he should clean up the dishes. He felt bad that they were both now living by themselves taking care of the funeral and the company.

 

He realized how strong Hwa young was and felt that their should be a man helping them out, and by man he means himself, Yongguk and Mr Yoo. They’d be spending two weeks here and will fly out to Seoul the following day after the two weeks end.

“I think we should clean up the kitchen, since it’d be a pain not being polite since were staying at their place already.” He saw Mr Yoo give him a completely bizarre stare and felt like he must have gone crazy.

 

“What? I mean its not like I do this at the dorm when the others can’t remember to pick up after themselves when they finish eating.”

 

Mr Yoo sighed at him “No, like I mean you don’t seem like the first person to jump up and wash dishes, but okay then I might as well help.”

 

He got up and cleared all the dishes, while Yongguk had found a rag and wiped the table and Mr Yoo had cleaned and began washing the dishes. Himchan also found a rag and began cleaning the rest of the Kitchen, it looked like it needed some TLC.

 

"You should have just left it since I would have cleaned it up" Himchan looked up to see Hwa young with a tin box in her hand but had a worried expression from her face.

 

"No Hwa young, I felt you already have more to do than clean dishes so might as well" He waved it off and continually wiped the kitchen counter.

 

Yongguk had also spoke up "Himchan's right, we can tell that you and your mom have both been stressed with the whole funeral, we might as well lessen the burden" I felt relieved that Yongguk was at least talking to her, for a second he thought he was ignoring her.

 

"Did you have any hand in this persuasion Mr Yoo"

 

"No actually the boys did really want to help you and your mom out, I've been just following along with them" He laughed.

 

She paused for a moment before speaking up "Well, if you need any extra help I'll be out in the garden" They all nodded before she went outside, I looked up and saw her rummaging in the tin box.

 

For some reason he felt like he needed to comfort her, just being there he enjoyed that, maybe he did feel like he was attached to Hwa young. He felt more than just a friendship between them, but he tore that thought and just hid it away.

 

He didn’t want her to push him away, she had other things to think about than a boy liking her, he continued to clean up the kitchen. Hoping that time can pass from his thoughts of hidden intentions.


 

[A/N] Hello~ I'm so sorry for the long absence but I ended up getting sick and this week wasn't great...but I'm still determined to keep the story alive and finish it^^ I'm aiming it to be around 20 chapters since I don't expect it to drag out long and I don't want to end up making too long to the point that its not exciting anymore.

But yeah I'm getting better and excited that Secret's Ji eun is releasing a new song with Yongguk :D And the concept itself seems really interested so I'm really looking forward to it^^