1. The Letter

A chance encounter

"Woud life mean anything, if we had someone in our life disappers?"

"Could I even move on or try to start again?" 

"What is the meaning of life?"

So many questions and no answers, it's really no use doing this to me when I obviously can't provide a logical reason when my father died. I wish it was all a dream, but I have to face the facts. 

 

He's not coming back.

 

Hearing the news felt like a dream no, a nightmare I didn't want to believe it, I refused it since it couldn't have happened to him, not him. They told us he suffered a heart attack and went into cardiac arrest, he was all alone in his hotel room when it happened. My mom broke down and couldn't believe it either "Oh please, why did this happen to him" over and over as she sobbed. While I comforted her and didn't have any words to back up anything to counteract what she said, it just wasn't fair my father never had a history of heart problems. But then again this seemed like something to hide from us, his trip to Europe was sudden. He mentioned that an important client was meeting him there to discuss some business deals. 

It felt all normal from the time he left from the airport to the last call I had whith him before the sudden death. 

"How's Europe dad?" 

"Not bad, although I should mention that its refreshing being here, currently I'm in France, le langue d'amour" he said in french but his accent made it all the funnier. I laughed. 

"I think you should stick to doing business since its best for you and let your daughter handle the languages" 

"Hey! I should have you known but I might as well learn some important french words since it could help me when I get lost, especially since you refues to teach me" 

"That's because you give up pretty easy when I try and correct you Mr bossy" I huffed"

He laughed, but then returned to his more serious tone "I'll try and call you back honey when I can since I have a meeting soon" "Ah, okay then" I sat twiddling my thumbs "I'll call you back dad, bye" 

"Bye, sweetie and say hi to your mom for me" I nodded and hung up. 

                                                                       ~~~~~~~~

That call felt like ages ago, I simply just sat while I let all the information settle in my brain, but came out through the other ear. I just didn't want to. 

There was a gigantic long line of phone calls made, some were condolences others were just the same "Are you okay, we're here for you" line. I only let lilly my best friend come over. She hugged me tightly and said "I'm so so sorry Skyler of what happened" She sat in the kitchen while I fetched for something for her to drink, she was always there for me through the good and bad. She was the first person to approach me at school when I moved here 5-6 years ago. 

"I'm sick of all the phone calls, I might half of them are just being generic and don't really care that he's gone" 

I sat and played with the marble table. 

"Oh, Honey I know but you got to put up a smile and try not to let everything get to the best of you" She swished her Ice tea around. "hey, where's your mom?" I haven't seen her. 

I looked around and sighed "I forgot, she's arranging the funeral arrangements and waiting for dad's body to be dropped off at the airport. My head felt like exploding all the media was adamant to know about me and my mom's reaction of the suddent death of my dad. But our bodyguards were able to handle it and push back everyone, it has become a stressful if not crappy week. Lilly gave a sad look and my hand 

"Come on Skye, let's do something to distract you from all of this" I smiled a little, Lilly knew how to cheer me up when I had a crappy time. 

We went upstairs and went to the recording room. Music was my life and also a business of my dad's he was the CEO of Stars records, one of the top and most successful companies. It obviously dawned on me that I was to inherit the company if anything should ever happen to him. But I put those thoughts behind me as I didn't think I would have to inherit the company till he longer could support himself. 

But I guess times change. 

I picked up the guitar, one of the instruments I play often and sat on the stool, "What song do you want me to sing?" 

Lilly waved it off with her hand "Play what you want" I nodded and strummed the guitar to see if any of the strings were out of tune and then played one of my own songs: 

"I sit here and stare at the wide blue skies, enjoying the peaceful day" 

"I hum and walk down the avenues, all lit up and sparkling like crystals" 

"Then I see you walking and holding roses, and I smile" 

"You hold me and hand the roses saying "I love you" 

"It feels like an eternity being with you but I want to hold you for the last time" 

"I'm falling, falling so that you can't see me anymore" 

"Because I can't be with you" 

I stopped and Lilly clapped, "Its not finished I feel like I need to change the chords" 

"hmm but the composition of the song seems pretty good overall, if you change some of the chords it won't sound as melancholic" 

"Oh, really maybe I should change the lyrics and add your name as the lonely girl" I laughed 

Lilly pouted "Hey! I'm not looking for love anytime soon but maybe a boyfriend wouldn't hur" She smiled I couldn't but laugh it seemed everything was forgotten. 

A sudden knock came from the door. We both went outside while I quickly went downstairs and unlocked the door. It was just the mailman. 

After he left I went inside our mailbox and looked through all the mail, most of it was junk except one that stood out to me. It was labeled "To Mrs Eung and Hwa Young" the sender was from Korean and everything was written in hangul. I knew that it could be dad's close friend. 

"What does that say?" Lilly peered over my shoulder and saw all of the hangul but couldn't understand what it meant. 

It's from a close friend of my dad's I replied, I forgot for a moment that Lilly wasn't Korean since being in Canada English and French were the two languages most commonly spoken, But I taught her a word here and then and even explained what Korea was like. Home, I did miss it event hough it wasn't as obvious. Its been 5-6 years since I last visited when I moved to Canada. Not everyone knows my Korean name except Lilly, My family and my dad's close friend. 

I sat on the couch and opened the letter, it read in hangul: 

"Dear Mrs Eung & Hwa Young, 

I really don't know what to say, but first of all my deepest condolences to you about Shin I never thought that this would happen it was very unexpected and out of the blue. I called him shortly after he passed in the morning on August 24th, I never expected this to happen. He was more than a friend to me, he was like a loving older brother that I very much looked up to. He was one of the few people that took a chance with me and gave me a job to work in his company and now I'm managing my own. I'll be coming to Canada to attend the funeral and come visit you at the house since its been a while we've seen each other in person. Hwa Young, its been a long time since I've seen you and I'm sure you've grown up so much. I can still remember holding you in my arms when they told me you were born, I felt that I took responsibility to also look after you when you're father was unavailable.

I can imagine the tough time you're having to deal with this, I really do hope you're doing well and trying to hang on. It may seem sudden but I was going to talk to you about visiting Seoul since your father's company is there. But also to come home in Seoul, since I'm thinking you're also missing it a lot, I'll talk to you about it in person when I get there. But if you refuse it I understand completely if you do I'll make all the preparations, I've been wanted to show you my company and enjoying the time being in Seoul. 

Sincere regards, 

Yoo Sungyu 

 

"Well it looks like my dad's friend is coming for the funeral, and offering me a trip to South korea to see the company and re-visit home" I smoothed the letter out on my lap and looked at Lilly. 

"That's great! but I hope you won't forget about me traveling to Korea especially if you find some cute guys" She laughed

I hit her lightly. "Oh, come on Lilly I won't and besides I think I'll just be taking care of the company most of the time, I won't have time for that" 

 

I stared at the letter and re-read it 3 times, and wondered if going to Korea was going to do me any good at all. 

 

[A/N] Ta-dah! my first chapter although technically its a prologue, let me know in the comments about it ^^ I'll try to update with new chpaters when I can. Since writing fics is new to me, I'll probably be making a lot of mistakes ahah and I'll try and get a poster up soon~ Rest assured that BAP will be in the first chapter^^