17. Photos filled with memories

A chance encounter

If you want to make beautiful music, you must play the black and white notes together.” - Richard M. Nixon

 
 

                                            Yongguk

 

As often as he remembered it felt always good being there and making music.  He lived and breathed music and spoke it too. It was there for any comfort of sadness, anger, happiness, or any sort of emotion that stirred inside him. He couldn't really speak properly until he was five years old, it was rather late for a child to start speaking, but he was a fine healthy boy. Gradually growing up music was a passion for him and it took him a lot of running back and forth in his mind about pursuing the idol life.

 

He didn't regret it, he grew and cared for his other members, to him they felt like family and brothers. A bond that grew deep and one he treasured so preciously through his three years as BAP. It meant alot, if it wasn't for them through thick and thin he couldn't really expect to live his life with meaning.

 

He scanned the table as he was working on a new song, evident scribbles and blotches of pencil blanketed the white paper. There were small marginal notes of questions and statements, either advising a better verse or a catchy tune to match the beat of how the song would go. He looked at the further corner of the table and saw the music player that Hwa young had given him as a farewell present.

 

He reached out and looked over it; it was more of an iPod but thicker and it had its pale blue silicone case protecting the actual iPod.  He hadn't turned it on, due to how busy he was but since it was downtime and the song itself was just something to warm his brain up so he could think properly he grabbed a pair of earphones and plugged it into the iPod and turned it on.

 

There was only one song on there, he paused briefly and read the title of the song;

 
  1. Welcome

 

He was curious as to what kind of song it was and then proceeded to press “play”,

 

Hey,

Sorry that this isn't a song (I was about to download one, but I thought it would be better doing this haha). I guess this might sound weird as to why I decided to record this and put it on the iPod but I think it was a point to get across. This is yours of course, you can download whatever songs you want and feel whenever to play them if you’re sad or need a boost.  This was my father’s and I wanted to give it to you. So don’t come back to me and decide that you’re not worthy getting a gracious gift like this or refusing to accept it haha.  But really, I want you to have this, a piece of him because he meant a lot to you also. I’m not blind seeing your eyes having that sorrowful look ever since he died. So please, take this and put it to good use,  it was going to sit and rot anyways. And remember, if you feel that way play a song. Music is always there for you.

 

And that was the end of the recording, Yongguk sitting there for a few seconds trying to recollect his thoughts finally smiled,

 

“Thank you...Hwa young.” He quietly said, hushed as though it was going to escape from his lips and become lost in the world. Those simple but meaningful words.

 

The sudden knock brought his deep thoughts back to reality as he pulled the earphones out from his ears and turned the iPod off and stood up to walk and open the door. He turned the doorknob and came to the face of Hwa young.

 

“Hi, I thought I should drop by and see how you’re all doing. How are you?”

 

“I’m fine, thank you. Are you looking for Himchan specifically? He’s in the dance studio with the other guys.” He looked up and down at her, she was dressed in comfortable red nike shoes, blue dark jeans and a striped black and white t-shirt.

 

“No, actually I was looking for Mr Yoo. Do you know by chance where he’d be?”

 

“I think he’s upstairs in his office, I’ll come with you so you don’t get lost.” Yongguk bit back his tongue as he held back from mentioning the iPod, it didn't seem important, not now.

 

They both walked up towards a set of stairs that winded as they reached to “Level 2” of the building and he opened the door and as a gentleman he let Hwa young go first. Once entering the floor he scanned over the doors for one and found it.

 

“Room 46 - Office, I’ll just wait here or I can go, since your business is probably private.”

 

“Ah, sort of but you can wait outside if you want, don’t feel obliged.” She then proceeded to knock three times on the door lightly and waited. They heard the shout of “Come in!” and Yongguk said, “See you” and Hwa young nodded giving a smile before going in.

 

Once the door shut he sighed and thought that he should give her space since it seemed something private and it would be too tempting overhearing the conversation against the door. So, he headed back down the stairs and decided to download a song on the iPod.

 

                                        Hwa young

 

Hwa young entered in the door and saw Mr Yoo sitting in his chair and shifting through various papers. He looked up and smiled brightly, “Hey, sit down.” he gestured for her to sit down on a chair in front of the desk and Hwa young bowed and sat.

 

“What can I do for you? I’m sure you must be busy with your work over at Soul Star.” His eyes kept eyeing down since the stack of papers seemed only menacingly big and made Hwa young wondered at how he was able to keep his sanity with all the papers surrounding him.

 

“I wanted to ask you a question, if you don’t mind. It may seem sudden but I found this.” She opened up her bag and fumbled in searching for the photo and found it and took it out, showing it to Mr Yoo.

 

“It was in my father’s office, I can see that it was taken when I was young, but there’s a man next to my father. I haven’t seen him before and was maybe hoping that you knew who it was.” She held her breath as Mr Yoo took the photo and the curves of his lips turned in a slight frown but undoubtedly he was thinking long and hard at the man. Finally he handed it back to her and said,

 

“I've only seen him once, but that was a long time ago. Why the sudden interest.” She paused and thought of an answer, she really didn’t have one it was just a simple question of wonder not really a pursuing interest. But something about it seemed, odd.

 

“Well, my father didn't really mention about his closest friends unless he wanted me to meet them. And he never wasn't privy to any of it either, I found it in his office if you wanted to know where it came from. Most of the photos lining in his office were only of me, my mother and the artists from the company. This one just caught my attention.” Hwa young prayed that he’d give her an answer, she could hint at his disapproving smile, but hopefully it didn’t stop her from finding out more.

 

“Jaejoong, I think that’s what his name was. He particularly was a close but private friend of your father’s. And by “private friend” I mean he never really mentioned about him. Knowing you father, he had his reasons.” Mr Yoo sighed leaning back into the chair, massaging his temples. Hwa young can see that something has been stressing the back of his mind.

 

“Are you okay, Mr Yoo?”

 

“I-I’m okay, Hwa young its just I’m a little tired that’s all.” She didn't believe him his eyes said otherwise.
 

“Do you think I could ask my mother? Perhaps she knows about him then.” She gazed up to look him directly in the eyes, searching for a hint of a lie. His eyes softened but his small smile left him.

 

“I...wouldn’t ask her, but if you really want to know then do. Its not like she’d be hiding anything secretive.” He gave her a gesture of approval and Hwa young slowly stood up from the chair then bowed.

 

“Thank you, I’ll go and leave you to your affairs.” She turned to reach for the doorknob leaving,

 

“I’ll warn you though, some things are best kept hidden.” She turned her head around and gave him a look of concern, but nonetheless she exited silently.

 

Closing the door she heaved a sigh of frustration and walked down the stairs, wondering what the heck were those words of caution, it definitely piqued her interest more and more reeling her in to whatever it was she was getting herself into.

 

As she headed down the stairs and turned around the corner she bumped into someone and expressed a “ouf” before opening her eyes to see who it was.

 

“Hey Hwa young, I didn’t think you’d be here. Or should I call you noona?” She stared back to the eyes of Daeyun, blinking his eyes back at her.

 

“O-oh no, no you don’t have to honestly call me noona all the time, Hwa young is fine, really.” She could hear her mother’s words screeching in her ear about honorifics and addressing properly you elders and such. She found it weird being addressed as “noona” or calling a guy older than her “oppa” but nonetheless it was the Korean mannerisms that she abided by, but secretly blew off and didn't mind as long as she wasn’t called other names.

 

“Alright then, Hwa young I take it that you were just seeing Mr Yoo?”

 

“Yeah, but I shouldn’t bother you guys anymore I do have a job to get back to.”

 

“Shame, although since the weekend is approaching soon I was thinking of going to a norabaeng with the others but I’m afraid that it’ll only be me.”

 

She scuffled a laugh and admired his way of trying to ask her to go out and karaoking, for her she didn't really sing in front of others, just Lilly and her mom. Other than that not really something that would suit her.

 

“Maybe, I can come if I’m not so busy this weekend.” She nodded and the corner of his lips pulled into a smile.

 

“That sounds great! Maybe I can try and string Youngjae along, it wouldn't sound so lonely then.” He gave a wink to her and she felt her cheeks flush omg don’t even try that on me. A 24 year old female being flirted around with a guy 4 years younger than him, .

 

“Well, I suppose I can give you my number so you can text me then.” She gestured for his phone that he fished out of his pocket and she typed in her phone number, “There and also don’t be hesitant if you need me for something else.”

 

“You know, Himchan was right about you.” Her head snapped back up to look at Daehyun again, his eyes wavering over her.

 

“I mean, he always keeps talking about you from time to time and I haven’t seen him that particularly happy in a while, so thanks for making him smile.” He bowed which showed his sincerity. His silver hair was swept to the side with the combination of his bright face made him more charismatic than she first saw him. No wonder Lilly loves Daehyun so much Hwa young thought and smiled upon that thought, almost forgetting that Daehun was still there.

 

“Maybe I should leave you to your thoughts then.” Daehyun waved a hand in front of her stifling a small laugh and she realized how rude it was of her to run her thoughts off like that.

 

“I’m so sorry, I must have been carried away...” She raised her arm to look at the time on her watch, “But it seems like I should be going,”

 

“No worries, I think you’ll be busy CEO-nim.” They both laughed in agreement.

 

She waved to Daehyun goodbye and exited the building, as soon as she was alone she had mixed feelings.

 

The thought bugged her mind about Mr Yoo’s words, was he trying to keep her away from something far worse. She took out the photo and looked at it closely, despite it seeing the photo as a happy memory, something seemed amiss. The photo felt like now, a rock weighing her down. “I’ll find out about you, Jaejoong.” She touched the figure of him and careful slipped it back in her bag.

 

It seems true that a photo tells a thousand words.

 

She heard the honk of the car and saw the window of the car rolling down and Jiyeon beckoning her to come into the car and she forced a smile as she had a job to do.

 

She could sense someone watching her while getting in, someone unwelcoming to her presence, and perhaps she was right. A flash of a bracelet glinted in the sun and the words that could chill anyone to the bone and run for their life,

 

“Mark my words I’ll tear your world apart, the one you cling onto so dearly.”

 

“Hwa young.”

 

 

 

 

[A/N] Hello all!

Sorry that I wasn't able to update so soon :( I've been trying to in many ways see how this story would go and there are many different plot twists and scenes that I want to be able to come true going on with this story. SInce exams are close I don't know how much I'll be able to update so it might be a few days you'll have to wait but I know you guys are patient ^^

 

The gift that Hwa young gives to Yongguk is an iPod but slightly more heavier, I've been trying trying to find a picture but if you've heard the drama "Angel eyes" or haven't (and its a prety good drama I'd reccommend ^^). The main character gives the guy a iPod of some sort that is like a diary and they take turns back and forth either recording their feelings or sharing songs. Its what I wanted to at least mimc but not copy since I want to be able to add my own flair to it. :)

 

Thank you to everyone that has read the story until now you've all been very supportive so I hope you'll enjoy the future chapters I'll put out :D. If you haven't subscribed to this story please do^^