15. Obstacles

A chance encounter

“Music in the soul can be heard by the universe.” -Lao Tzu

 

                                            Yongguk

 

After getting the other guys to persuade in being all together in one car, while he rode in the other car with Hwa young, just the two.

 

He kept looking at her when she turned her back, so that she wouldn’t notice the so called awkward glances. He really did mean in a good way that she hadn’t changed at all, or that she didn’t pick up some boyfriend in the two months they were away from her.

 

It wasn’t like he wasn’t jealous, its just that he didn't want her to date someone, well maybe Himchan, but that was another story. He could obviously see that he had feelings for her the moment they had met in Vancouver but Yongguk on the other hand didn’t feel have any until after they left.

 

And so he landed himself in a terrible dilemma. A really bad situation. If only he could spit out the right words.

 

“You sure have been quiet, are you thinking about something?” He didn’t really think she was paying any attention, his mind was drifting. And here was Hwa young prodding him with questions.

 

“Y-yeah, I was just dozing off...you know” He replied hazily and realized how stupid he sounded with what he said and mentally face-palmed himself.

 

“I think someone needs more sleep, hmm?” Hwa young smiled as she went back to staring straight on the road.

 

“Its pretty, when it gets darker I have a lot to catch up on.” She talked on as I listened to her.

 

“I remember when I was younger, me and my parents would take trips around in Seoul and try out some nice cafes and restaurants. But mostly I loved just riding around to see the places and admiring the view.” At that point her eyes lit up like a child in a candy store.

 

“Did you ever come back you know, after you moved to Vancouver?” Yongguk paused, feeling like he was touching a sensitive topic.

 

But amazingly she didn’t say anything about his comment or snap angrily back at him and answered his question, “I wanted to but for some reason something stopped me.” Her smile faded.

 

“My father would always spend most of his time here in Seoul, for the company and if I did come here I wouldn’t really have any time to spend with him at all. So, I just stay away and send him calls and letters when I get the chance because I’m afraid that I’ll just get in the way.” He could see her eyes full of sadness and tears clouding in her eyes.

 

“Hey” He gently put a hand on her shoulder, she sighed and he could feel how burdened she might have felt always waiting for her father that never came home. He felt guilty at the times Hwa young’s father came over to their dorm and treated them to a meal. It almost felt like they stole her father away from her, he could feel the guilt creeping up on him.

 

“You know your father could never stop talking about you.” This made Hwa young look at him briefly with curious eyes. “He’d always show us photos of you, especially if you won an award or performed, his eyes would twinkle as though he was the happiest man in the world.” He himself started to smile too at the many times he’d talk proudly of her daughter back home in Vancouver.

 

“I remember one time he’d talk about when you so badly wanted to get his attention when you were only five years old, you dressed up in your mother’s fanciest clothes and wore make-up, quite bad he said.” By then he started to laugh and Hwa young looked like she just wanted to hide herself.

 

“Ugh of course he always loves telling that story to people, he embarrasses me to the core.” He chuckled imagining her face palming herself on the head if she wasn’t so focused on driving.

 

“Even though he works so far and long he still has the time to come and visit when he can, despite missing a few award shows and music performances he surprised me on my graduation day.” He could see her smile and it made him happy, although she never revealed more than she let on. It still felt like she was shielding herself from a barrier.

 

Yongguk intently listened to her, knowing that things come in due time, although sometimes he just wanted to rush it.

 

“Might as well turn up the radio, we’re almost there and I don’t want you to pity me with my sob stories.” She laughed but Yongguk knew she was trying to change subjects but didn’t say anything.

 

The radio was being static but Hwa young found a radio station playing music, the song sounded familiar and he realized it was their song “1004”

 

Eodironga nareul tteonabeorin cheonsagateun neo~

I need you

Eotteoke saneunji nan moreugesseo

Niga tteonan ihuro michigesseo

Everyday, every night

Jamdo jal ojil anha

Hollo nama sullonama cry

 

Yongguk closed his eyes and listened to his song, knowing every beat and lyric and heard the sound of Hwa young humming to the song. He smiled, she finally got into their music after Yongguk showed her a couple of their songs and was hooked. The car ride was pleasant as they finally got to the restaurant.

 

All of the other members wanted to get to know Hwa young more and she smiled softly and sweetly at each since this was new to her.

 

“Noona, how was it being in Canada?” Zelo asked her with a curious face and Hwa young replied,

 

“Its really nice in Vancouver, the fresh water and food is always a pleasant welcome.” He could see her enjoy being with the other members. Zelo still asking her so many questions was being the cute maknae and Himchan had to shush him. They soon seated themselves inside the restaurant and ordered a lot of meat along with side dishes (Kimchi, rice, seasoned vegetables), Soondubu Jiggae (Soft tofu stew), Yangnyeom Tongdak (seasoned fried chicken) and Japchae (stir fried noodles).

 

“How are you guys going to eat it all?” Hwa young looked perplexed at the stunning amount of food ordered and the members all laughed,

 

“Well we can always rely on our hungry Daehyun here.” Daehyun with a sheepish smile knew exactly what they were talking about and Yongguk smiled along.

 

They all dug in to the large meal and midway Yongguk excused himself to go get some fresh air. He exited through the main entrance of the restaurant and took a deep breath but yet he smelled something strong. Roses. Indeed they were very strong almost pungent to a point. It made him light headed.

 

“I didn’t think I’d run into you again.” He was startled, he thought he was the only one outside but no someone was there. And it was a woman.

 

“Excuse me, but do I know who you are?” He felt a bit worried, it was either some crazy reporter or tabloid wanting to get any dirt especially on idols.

 

The figure stepped out and he immediately realizing it was Charlene, the woman he met back in Vancouver and yet something was off about her. She seemed agitated, like someone was chasing after her.

 

“Sorry if I was interrupting anything or merely intruding on your silence here.” He already felt uneasy, especially the warning that Mr Yoo had given him not getting too close to Charlene.

 

“Oh no its fine, I was just about to head inside. Are you waiting for someone?”

 

“I was having dinner with a business associate, we’re launching a new product and it should be ready in a few months.” She gave off a smile which made Yongguk shiver, it wasn’t the kind of smile that seemed welcoming.

 

It almost seemed like the smile of a charming snake waiting to bite at the last second.

 

He slowly reached for the door “Ah, well I should be getting back in” He cleared his throat “Its nice seeing you again Charlene.”

 

“Oh the pleasures all mine.” With that he slipped in the door not quite hearing at what she said, but he didn’t care. What had made him paranoid was the fact that she “stumbled” upon him as though it was a coincidence. It wasn’t and now it raised certain questions, how could she have found this one restaurant where him and the rest of the members and Hwa young be? And why? It swirled around his mind and he didn’t notice bumping into someone.

 

“Ow.” He smacked right into someone and bowed “Sorry for that I-” Until he looked up and saw it was Hwa young rubbing her head.

 

“Ah Hwa young, I’m so sorry.” He fumbled and felt guilty bumping into her and she lightly laughed and shook it off.

 

“Its okay, I was just wondering where you went because everyone’s finishing up and you still have food left.” He was about to say he was caught up when he encountered Charlene but, thought in her best interest he should lie to her and said,

 

“I just got carried away that I wasn’t paying attention to the time.” He grinned shyly and he could see Hwa young trying to see if it wasn’t a lie and unexpectedly didn’t prod.

 

“Okay, well come on,” She lightly touched his arm “Your foods going to be eaten up by Daehyun, that boy sure can eat a lot!” He sighed when she turned around to go back to their table. It was probably better talking about this to someone else, he didn’t want to upset Hwa young.

 

It bothered him later on as they drove back to their dorms and dropping back Hwa young to her place. All in his mind was Charlene and it really bothered him, the encounter was eerie. It didn’t feel right and he thought of Mr Yoo, but he was asleep already and decided to talk to Himchan about it.

 

“So what you’re telling me is that meeting Charlene wasn’t a coincidence but almost like she planned it?” Himchan replied back with raised eyebrows and Yongguk nodding.

 

He leaned back and sighed thinking about what he said and leaned forward back up from his chair and replied, “Then there’s something not right about her then, you’re probably right. When she was at the funeral nearly harassing Hwa young about her dad she just had that look in her eye, it seemed unnatural.”

 

Yongguk nodded agreeing with Himchan’s statement, it was true back in Vancouver Hwa young was being cornered by Charlene, demanding her answers and giving her warnings. It wasn’t something you’d do naturally.

 

“You should mention this to Mr Yoo, I think he’d know more.” Himchan advised Yongguk, knowing if anyone should know about her, it’d be Mr Yoo.

 

“Yeah, alright I’ll mention it to him tomorrow.” It was the best thing he thought, maybe he’d get more answers from there.

 

But for now he’d catch up on sleep, its been ages since he actually gotten a good ounce of sleep. His one singular question to all this was,


Why?

 

[A/N] Hello~~ This is probably going to be my last update of 2014 before 2015 comes ^^ I'm pretty sure some of you guys are already starting off the new year. Also a thank you to Ryosas for subscribing and if you want to upvote please do its appreciated and share this story too! I feel like maybe I should change my story title since someone suggested that it was too cliche, and I don't have any ideas at the moment. Maybe when I finish this story perhaps I might change it but for now its kinda back and forth.

Happy New Years everyone! I hope 2015 is way better hehe ^^