Chapter One

The Person You Left Behind

There comes a point in life when you decide to stop caring about others but then there also comes a time when all you can do is care for others. My mind was spinning crazy tonight and it was bothering me so much. It's been a year since the passing of my late boyfriend, Junhwe, and I haven't been able to get any sleep since the incident. Ever since his passing I have been so lonely and stressed. I wasn't familiar with not having to care and love for anymore. Not only that but I wasn't familiar with being lonely. My friends bails on me, Junhwe's friends doesn't want anything that deals with me.

I continued to lay in bed and think about the night of the incident. There are nights where I barely think about him or what had happened. I took a deep breath and exhaled loudly. "I'm sorry." I apologized for no reason hoping that Junhwe could hear me from the other side and begain sobbing.

When I woke up it was already the next day. I got up and did my usual morning rountine. It was awfully quiet in the house this morning, so I headed downstairs. My father was in his office and my mother was in her own. "What about breakfast?" I asked myself quietly. I haven't noticed until recently how lonely I have become until my mother has pointed out many episodes of me talking to myself.

"Umma, have you eaten breakfast?" I walked into her office and asked her.

"Yes. Your father and I have eaten already. There are some leftovers in the microwave, feel free to eat some if you're hungry." My mother replied back without even taking her eyes away from her paperwork. I had a very formal relationship with my parents. We never argued and it seemed more like we were business partners instead of family.

I headed downstairs and into the kitchen to look for the leftover breakfat my parents had left me. "Suhyun." I heard my father called to me when I sat on the dining table getting ready to eat.

"Yes?" I replied to him and he sat across from me.

"You're a senior this year and you're going to graduate soon." He continued and my mind started to have so much thoughts. What is he trying to say now? "How do you feel about working and living on your own?" My heart sank. I've been such a lonely person for over a year and now my parents wants me to move out and live on my own.

"Well I have never really though about it because it's only been the second month of my senior year." I tried hard not to sound like I was upset hearing these sudden news. "It'll be a challenge."

"Your mother and I have found a well paying job that you can work for to pay off your rent." He took out some stabled papers out from a manilla envelope that I didn't even see him carrying in. "It's quite small but it's big enough for one person." He pointed to a picture of a small rooftop house. "Not only that, but because the job doesn't pay you enough to attend the current school that you are currently attending we're transfering you into a cheaper school, Juyik High School." Once again, I tried not to sound disappointed.

I really had no saying to this now current situation. That's how my parents were always like: they always made the decisions, I just had to follow them. My parents wanted me out of the house by the time this week ends which was crazy. They already enrolled me into the new school that I am now attending.

It was the last moving day for me and I was saying my final goodbyes to my parents. They have come with me and helped me unpack my last few boxes. This current situation was way to sad for me because I'm still a high school student, not a college student. But then again, it's not like I had a choice to accept or decline this offer.

"Remember that we're just one phone call away." My mother hugged me and my head. "Aigoo, my Suhyun is maturing by the minute." It was unusual seeing my mother baby me.

I watched them leave and I waved endlessly to them. When their car was finally out of sight I went back inside to my new home. I threw myself on my bed and sighed. Life has just gotten even lonelier. "Junhwe-ah, I'm finally moving on." I spoke out to him out of habit and then fell asleep.

When I woke up it was already the next day. I looked at my planner on my phone and I needed to pick up my new school uniform from the dry cleanings and get some groceries. I did my usual morning rountine, got dressed and quickly left my house. I didn't know my new neighborhood that well so I went exploring. There was an old couple who lived a few houses away from me. Then there was a single mother of two kids and she lived across from the elder couple. She often asks them to babysit her kids when she's off at work.

After exploring I finally headed to the small grocery store that was near my house. I went down the aisles picking up some noodles, spices, vegetables and meat. What can I really make now that I don't have my mother to cook for me? I went to the counter and paid for my grocery and left. As I was heading out someone who was running fast hit me hard and I fell down to the ground. He had bright orange hair color and was panting heavily. "I'm sorry. I'm so sorry." He helped you up and constantly looked back behind him. All of a sudden he grabbed your arm and pulled you to run with him leaving your bag of groceries behind.


Author's Note:  Two subbies before chapter one was even came out! Thank you so much! I hope you guys enjoyed the first chapter. Guess who Suhyun ran into, it's quite obvious. Sorry for not introducing any other characters besides Suhyun so far. You'll meet the rest in the next one or two chapters.

 
{
source }