Perfect Time

Sober Hearts

 

The way they reacted towards the sudden voluntary act of that girl was so unusual.

Yeah, she knows that the girls loath her to the same extent as she does, but it's not the same mocking reaction that they always have whenever she's around.

She feels kind of uneasy. There's something wrong here. Something they know that she doesn't.

They were giving each other weird looks that, she can easily assure based on years of friendship, means they're on to something.

She looked at the guys and they had this uneasy look on their faces that tells her they're uncomfortable with the current situation. They were exchanging looks with one another and were stealing short glances of Hae.

For a short moment, she was hoping that she could get an answer by looking at Hae, but to her disappointment, he only had a blank expression that did not give anything away.

That was then she felt that the rest of her friends were now looking at her. Uneasy and nervous, that's what they looked like. They seem to be checking her reaction, but how would she react when she doesn't even know what's going on?

She assumed that at least one of them is as clueless as she is, she was actually expecting Sunny to be that one person, but unfortunately, she thought wrong. Even she seemed to be quite aware of what's going on.

When Yoona started walking her way to the front and center of the room, all eyes were on her. She gave that plastic angelic smile that made the other guys cheer on her. She even gave off that shy smile. As if. She pities the others who are still fooled by her front.

However, when she reached the spot near Hae, she looked at him, a long and almost-sincere look.

It was only then that she felt her heart beat rapidly and face heat up. It was anger-- that she's sure of. Her body was reacting even if her brain is still clueless. Or is she?

She tried her best to change her past attitude-- she had anger issues and they were so bad. But hey, she managed to control it... before. Now, she's having a hard time concealing her fiery emotion. She would be really dumb if she says that, at this point, she's still clueless.

"This btch better not try to flirt with my man or I would neglect the months I've spent with the psychiatrist and let go of the last string of patience I have with me.", she thought to herself.

Honestly, she can't do anything right now except look at them and observe the situation. She's too afraid that if she suddenly burst out in anger, Hae would say she's overreacting over something she's not even sure of and would not like her anymore.

"Guess I like him that much.", she thought.

So here she is, sitting as quietly as possible with a blank reaction plastered on that beautiful face, observing what's happening and what's going to happen.

She was standing in front and the teacher was welcoming her with an overjoyed expression. The way she steals glances of Hae can't escape her eyes, making her heart feel like it's being pinched. She's even trying to send him those fake smile, but it makes her feel better that he's not responding to her. Even for just a little bit, she feel relieved.

"You may start anytime you want, dear." said our instructor.

She stole one last glance and sent one last smile to the direction where Hae is standing before she began to hit the keys in the keyboard placed in front of her.

In any guy's point of view, this scene would probably seem like it came out from a romantic movie. Movies are fictitious, just like her facade.

She felt a tinge of pain in my chest when she saw how Hae reacted when the other girl hit the first key. She doesn't know, but the way his eyes suddenly became attentive to her made her feel the sudden feeling of jealousy and extreme uneasiness.

Something's going on here. Yet again, she can't do anything but just sit there and do nothing-- act blind.

Just like how her eyes can't look away from him, his is also stuck to hers.

Just like how much the intensity of their locked gazes possess, the strength of the invisible hand squeezing my heart is as strong.

It's only when she misdirected my gaze and it landed on her hands that she realize she was gripping her pen so tight that her knuckles were already white.

As she attempted to open her knuckles, a tear came dropping from her eyes. One by one, they started to fall. Beat after beat, the pace of my heart started to hasten.

Luckily, she's good enough at acting that she pulled off a calm composure.

"Why are you acting like this?" she ask myself. Closing her eyes, and counting to ten, her heart was able to decelerate, even for just a bit.

She put on a smile, only realizing how painful it is to put on a curved lips when you're so close to crumbling down.

It was hard, but she managed to do it.

She can't stop looking at him. He can't stop looking at her. And her? She can't stop looking at them and feeling this excruciating pain.

She began singing, still, with eyes locked at his, and his, locked at hers.

With every lyric that escapes the other girl's mouth, her heart keeps on feeling more and more pain. It's like it's squeezed and pinched and poked. It was the same feeling she felt months ago. The same excruciating feeling that made her want to snatch her sober heart and throw it somewhere far.

The pain is so familiar that it's enabling her to keep a composed facade. Thank goodness for the months of experience.

She closed her eyes, unable to keep on looking at the scenario that might break her once again.

Throughout the song, she bowed her head down so that even if she's tempted to open her eyes, she wouldn't see them and so that no one can see her slowly crumbling down again.

She finished with a hum and the whole class began cheering and clapping. Jessica started counting up to ten, stil with eyes closed and fingers interlocked, hoping she can achieve and normal and composed act or maybe just an expression.

She straightened her body and opened her eyes despite the fear that's starting to eat her up.

A number of eyes were on her, mostly from her friends that were full of concern and also, fear. She directed her gaze to him, and that's when her heart, finally and for the second time, broke and tore.

They were still holding each other's gazes, seeming like they're too afraid to let it go, like they were full of longing, like... they were full of affection.

The bell started to ring and the phrase "saved by the bell" totally was on point. She calmly took her bag and looked at her friends.

"I think I have to go first. Uhm.. I-- I have to do something. See you later.", she said with a bitter smile and rushed out.

The beating of my heart was so fast, too fast that it made me feel so dizzy. Is it because I'm running or is it because I'm afraid I have to pass through the same phase again.

She just let her feet lead the way, not thinking where to go--or rather, not thinking about anything at all. Her focus is only in her heart, she doesn't want to go through that again. Once is enough.

As she was about to increase her pace, she felt her arm being pulled and her body being embraced by a familiar person.

"Oppa.", she said.

He smirked at her and replied, "I told you, right? That I'd always be with you when you're going through painful things."

She remembered that promise all too well despite being already intoxicated by alcohol. His presence made her think that "Damn, it's going to happen again."

She embraced him back, trying to drain the pain by releasing and exerting much force and power.

She heard a mocking yet sad laugh when her ears were pressed even more on his chest as he also tightened his embrace. It was like he's telling her "I told you so."

Tears were already streaming down her face when she realized she was already crying. She buried her face in his chest and kept on mumbling "oppa", she was lost for words and that's all she was able to say.

"Wanna leave this place for a bit and head out to chill?", he asked her as he distance himself from her to look at her face.

She sniffed and nodded. He laughed for a bit because of the view and held her arms and directed her to his car.

However, she can't help but steal some glance at the now empty hallway, hoping that Hae might have followed her and try to explain to her. However, to her disappointment, no one popped out of that hallway. She left the school, yet again, with a sober broken heart.

 

 

Her friends thought that during the span of time she drowned herself with alcohol, she was alone. That's what she wanted them to think anyway. She would always run off somewhere to clear her head, or rather, fill her body with liquor. She knew she was already a pain in the for her friends that's why she thought that not letting them know where exactly she is is a great idea—not realizing that it actually is a terrible one because her friends are scared all the more.

But then again, she was not alone. She was with the person who promised her company and comfort at times like these. Something she only found in him, not that her friends weren't enough. It's just that, sometimes, there is only a certain person who can make you open up to them without even forcing you to.

She left the school premises with that person. She didn't find it awkward when he was holding her so close to him, garnering the attention of some of the students in the lobby. She didn't mind them, she doesn't have the heart to care.

They entered his car and it was a good thing that she was drove to school, so she doesn't have to think about leaving a car behind. It was like fate already planned it out.

It was too early to drink, it was still morning anyway, not even close to lunch time, so the bar isn't such a good idea.

In her mind, she thought that it was also a good thing. She made a vow to herself never to intoxicate herself with alcohol again. What she needed is someone to talk to, someone to hear her out, someone she could reach out to.

She didn't have to speak to him to let him know where to go. He's been good at reading her emotions that he knew what she wanted, and most importantly, what she needed.

With her eyes closed, she fell asleep, hoping to wake up and know that it was only just a dream—to just laugh it all out.

Unfortunately, life doesn't work that way.

We sometimes resolve to things that would temporarily distance us from the sad and painful real world, not realizing that it doesn't change anything. It's only temporary, a short span of time. Once you get back and face reality, there it goes again—slapping you, hurting you, and breaking you in any way possible.

Oftentimes, it hurts more. You've experienced short moment of bliss, and then when you return, you'll realize that the world really is a harsh place to live in.

Thoughts like these are the reason why people tend to choose to just leave, to just end it.

Jessica wouldn't lie. She thought of things like these before, many times actually. However, the people around her never failed to rethink again.

Their support, their love, even if the world is so cruel, they still manage to shine some light in her dark world.

She woke up due to the feeling of being shook.

Groaning due to the disturbance, she then heard a soft chuckle. That same chuckle that woke her up from her drunk state for several months.

With a smile, she opened her eyes and slightly slapped that other person's arm.

"Good. Now you're awake. Time to get drunk.", he said as he grabbed her out of the car.

"Whaat? Drunk", well, it was not a bad idea, but he promise to herself to not do the same stupid thing again came to mind.

"what the hell. Let this be the last.", she thought to herself.

She let him grab her and not even thinking about stopping him.

As they kept on walking, her with her head just barely dangling from her neck, she started to hear the sound of waves. At the realization of them possibly somewhere near the shore, her body straightened, absorbing the magnificent view offered by their surroundings.

It was astonishing.

She was put to a halt when he stopped walking and pulled her down to take a seat.

They were at a port. Since it wasn't that time of the day when fishermen are active, they were basically alone at that place.

She was so preoccupied with the scenery that it was the only thing that's on her mind.

A soft chuckle came from her side and only then did she remember that she was with someone.

"Oppa. It's amazing.", she said to him.

Again, with a chuckle, he replied. "I told you. We're getting drunk"

She was clueless as to what he meant with what he said. With a confused "Huh?", she faced him, letting go of the alluring scenery.

"I bet alcohol came to your mind when I told you we were getting drunk.", she nods shyly and he couldn't stop himself from pinching her cheek. "No, silly. We don't only get drunk by drinking liquor. Oftentimes, we get drunk with emotions, conversations... love."

She smiled to herself, thinking that "Wow. This guy isn't just someone I could spend some un-sober and unserious moments with. I may be able to have some logical conversation with him."

The smell of coffee captured her attention again. He looked at her with a smile and handed a cup of coffee.

"Don't ask how I got this. You were in deep slumber when I bought it. I couldn't even imagine how the strong smell didn't bother you.", he said.

"Ara, ara. I sleep like that.", she took the coffee with a pout on her lips.

With his empty hand, he played with her hair, gaining a poutier lips from her.

"I thought you we unbudgeable because you were drunk before, I didn't know you're also like that when you're asleep. Daebak.", he shook his head in a teasing manner, earning him a strong slap on his arm.

They were silent for a moment. Both of them absorbing the view in their front.

"I sometime wish I was just born as an animal. Life would've been easier. I just sleep, eat, poop, and repeat.", she said all of a sudden.

"Aren't you already living your life like that?", he answered back.

She shouted at him, but that didn't really scare him. It actually made him laugh.

With a sigh, she went silent again. Thinking of how complicated her life had turned out lately.

She thought that after passing through that stage in her life, referring to the six months of nonstop drunken nights and hangover-filled mornings, it's not going to happen again.

She had a firm hold on the quote, "Lightning don't strike the same place twice."

"Crazy. It only works for lightings, not in love, not in life.", she unconsciously said out loud.

Even without hearing her complete thought, he easily caught on.

"You know, oftentimes, we think that being able to feel the pain once is an assurance that you're not going to go through the same thing again in the future. That's just traditional belief. Just like how we used to believe that once you caught dengue, you're never going to have the disease again. Current events now prove otherwise."

The both of them sighed in unison and they looked at each other, "Cheers.", the both of them say and hit their cups with one another.