Car Rides? Nerver been better.

Sober Hearts

JESSICA’S POV

I hinted from the way Teuk was pushing me towards Hae that there’s something he, or also maybe the rest, is planning to do.

Awkward as it already was, the atmosphere inside the car is the oddest I’ve ever felt in my whole existence. I don’t know how to act  or what to do anymore. I’ve kind of humiliated myself in front of him for so many times already.

 

Maybe he agreed to this because he thinks I’m weak. Well, why wouldn’t he? I’ve kissed the floor and followed gravity for so many times in his presence. I’ve also almost had an appointment with death if it wasn’t for him. So, yeah. He may really think I’m that weak of a woman.

 

Aiigo~ If wasn’t for that truck, that cucumber plant near Yul and Seo’s house, and the cucumber in that sandwich, he could see me as a strong and independent woman. That’s what most guys nowadays like, right? Or that’s what I’ve heard and read from the internet.

 

Why am I even trying to impress him?

 

“What are you thinking?”, he asked, eyes still fixed in the road.

 

Huh? Why is he asking me that out of the blue? But despite him starting a conversation, I can still sense some awkwardness in the way he talks. Maybe he’s also feeling the same intensity of oddness I’m feeling right now.

 

“You seem to be thinking of something seriously serious. Your face is showing it?”, he added, seeing the confused look I have.

 

He chuckled before continuing, “What I mean to say is, even though not one of us is talking here, you look like you’re arguing with someone or something. Or I’m just hallucinating?”

 

His choice of words made me burst out into laughter, totally draining the what used to be uneasy  mood moments ago. Then we laughed together, making it a comfortable for the both of us.

 

“So, I’ve heard from your friends that those cucumbers freak you out, big time. Is there a reason behind it?”, he asked, eyes back to the road again.

 

I can feel that he’s trying to tame down the weird thing between us. He’s trying to divert both of our attention so that we wouldn’t feel uneasy towards each other anymore. I smiled.

 

“Actually, I don’t know. But ever since, those slimy things makes me feel uncomfortable. The sight of it brings shiver down my spine.”, I said while I shook my body, trying to re-enact what I do in the presence of a cucumber.

 

“That’s kind of a weird phobia you got there. I guess people are really unique.”, he just blurted out.

 

“I know I’m weird.”, I told him in sort-of-offended manner, but I’m just playing.

 

“No. No. I’m not saying you’re weird. I’m referring to your phobia. *whispers to himself* Pabo, that also means you’re calling her werid. *slaps head* Uhmm. Let me change it. What I’m saying is your phobia is kind of.. unusual? I didn’t mean to offend you. It’s just that my wordings. Believe me, I didn’t mean to call you weird.”, his actions made me snap out of my acting and burst into laughter. I never imagined him to be like this. I mean, I always thought he’d be the serious and oh-so-calm type of guy that could handle situations like these in a composed manner. But nah, he’s like a child. By the way he acted upon the situation, he looked like a kid who had done something wrong but is panicking just to find a way out.

 

“I was just playing with you. I know what you mean. Everyone tells me this phobia of mine is weird, I’m not mocking you. That’s really what they usually say when they know about it. How can someone have a fear in a harmless vegetable, don’t you think it’s kinda weird, that’s what they say. But I know it’s weird, but I can’t control it.”

 

“And again, I didn’t mean to offend you.”, he said then smiled at me.

 

Oh, oh, oh, oh, oppareul saranghae. Ah, ah, ah, ah, manhi manhihae~

 

Out of reflex, after hearing the song play in the radio, I changed the station we were listening to. I don’t why, but I feel really embarrassed, I can feel extreme heat in my cheeks. To cover my face full of embarrassment, I just bowed my head and tilted it to the opposite direction as to where Hae was situated.

 

Listen girl, joahe. Baby girl, saranghae~

 

I heard a fast click! and no music can be heard. That wasn’t me, that’s for sure.

 

Silence.... again. The whole car was only filled with deafening silence. That type of silence that would bring the same effect as to listening to extreme loudness.  Though you can hear no noise, your mind would still be bothered by the lack of sound.

 

“So, uhmm..”, we said in unison. This time, the both of us laughed together, bringing back the comfortable aura in the car.

 

“You go first.”, and again, we said in chorus. “No, you do it.”, I said right after he can even open his mouth. Hahaha. I’m clever and I know it!

 

“Honestly, I really don’t have anything to say. I just wanted to confirm that I actually have someone with me right now. Your turn.”, he said and laughed.

 

“Same thing. I could only hear the sound of the air-condition exhausting air. “, and also the rapid beating of my heart the moment I snatched a glanced at your direction.

 

OMG! Did I say that loud? My head turned to look at him to check his reaction, expecting to see a shocked expression, but he only had a confused one after seeing my actions. Phew~ Where did those words come from?

 

“What?”, he asked. I just shook my head and smiled, hoping it would divert his attention from that weird reaction I made moments ago. He just smiled back and said,

 

“Oh. We’re here already.”

 

I looked at the window, and yeah. We’re really at our house already. That was a looooong ride home for me.  

 

The moment I the open button for the door, my phone rang. I stopped for a while and answered the phone.

 

“Yoboseyo?”, I said.

 

“Jess, I forgot to tell you that I Romeo is with Kangin Oppa. *giggles*”, Tiffany said on the other line.

 

“What?! Romeo’s with oppa?”, I half-panicky, half-happily said. Well  know for a fact that the both of them doesn’t get along quite well, and happy since I can have sometime with Romeo.

 

“Yeah. He’s been there ever since this morning. I forgot to tell you because of all the happenings. Take care of him for a while. Bye!”, I replied with a simple bye and hung up.

 

When the call ended, I saw our gate open, revealing my brother holding a super adorable dog. Wow. That’s a first. I was imagining them barking at one another, yeah, my brother, a human, barking together with a dog. That’s just a usual scene for me.

 

I took off to welcome Romeo, but my brother tilted his head in confusion.

 

“How did you end up getting out of the passenger seat when you’re in the driver seat? Is that a new trick? Did you continue your dream of being a magician?”, he had this serious look on his face.

 

“Pabo, oppa. I was really in the passenger seat.”, I laughed and slapped his arms.

 

“But, how did happen? Does your car have autopilot that it drives itself on its own and all you need to do is type in your destination?”, still had this confused look on his face. Confused yet so serious face.

 

“No, I was--”, at that moment, I heard the loud click of the opening door. It was Hae who just went out of the car.

 

“It’s him again.”, I heard my brother who whispered, I don’t know if it was for me or for himself. But  I guess it was for himself alone.

 

“Uhmm. Good afternoon, Sir. I was just about to leave and I wanted to let Jessica know.”, he said.

 

“No. No. Stay for a while. Let’s have a little chat since you already came. Come in. Sica, welcome your visitor.”, uhh. This is really unusual. He would tend to send someone away as soon as he sees the person’s face, especially if he’s a guy. But this, he’s welcoming him? My brother has turned really weird right now.

 

“I should really--”, Hae was about to reject the offer but my brother cut him off and said, “No. Stay. I haven’t thank you last time.”, saying that with his back facing us, and on his way to enter the house.

 

“Don’t worry. Mom and Dad isn’t here yet. You shouldn’t feel uncomfortable. It’s just going to be me, Sica and this little rascal here. No more buts, Mr..?”, he’s tone faded in a way that it sounded like a question.

 

“Lee. Lee Donghae, Sir.”, he introduced himself and bowed to my brother.

 

“Okay, Donghae. Come in.”, he said as he offered to let him in, holding the door of our house.

 

I saw hesitation in Hae’s face. I can’t blame him. I’m also hesitating if I should let him enter. Well not that I’m thinking of him as a bag guy, like a thief or something, but there’s something odd in the way my brother is acting right now that I don’t want other people involved unless I find it out.

 

After parking the car in the garage, we didn’t have anything to do except follow oppa and sit awkwardly in our living room. Since oppa went to the kitchen to get some tea, it was only me, him and Romeo who were eaten by the silence.

 

*bark bark*

 

“Shhh. Quiet.”, I said as I fluffed and brushed his fur. But he barked again, “Romeo, I said shh. We have a visitor.”, I told Romeo as I gave a apologetic smile to Hae.

 

But he had this weird, shocked, I don’t know how to explain the expression he had on his face. It looked like he was shocked, maybe? I don’t know. All I know is that it’s kind of weird.

 

“What’s wrong, Hae? Did Romeo’s bark frighten you?”, I asked. Maybe he’s scared of dogs that’s why he hasn’t said anything this whole time.

 

“He’s.. he’s Romeo?”,he said. Stuttering. His face full of shock and confusion.

 

“Yeah. He’s the one and the only Romeo. Let me introduce him to you.”, I put down Romeo and pushed him a bit to make him go towards Hae. “Romeo, meet Donghae-ssi. Hae, meet our dog, Romeo.”

 

At first he was still shocked, but as soon as Romeo reached his legs and started wiggling his tail, he smiled and carried him.  He sweetly brushed his fur and talked to him, whispering in a way that only the two of them can hear. When Romeo barked back to him, as if responding , he smiled and whispered something again. It looked like they were actually conversing with one another. I smiled. Hae looked really cute while doing it, even cuter than Romeo.

 

And I never thought something, or in this case, someone would beat Romeo’s charms.

 

It was only when Hangeng oppa came back to the living room when I snapped out of my admiring thoughts. Good timing though. He could’ve caught me staring if it wasn’t for oppa’s appearance.

 

“So what brought you here this time? ‘Cause the last time, I know she drank again. Thank you for that by the way. But at this time, I don’t think she would actually start drinking. It’s too early. Again, what brought you here?” This guy’s mouth really. Just like Mom’s. Psh. ( - _ -“ )

 

“Well this morning, she was brought to the clinic, and when we were in the cafeteria, she fainted. We just made sure that she goes home safely. I was the only one who didn’t bring a car to school, so I was the one who drove her here. Leaving her car on the school’s parking area isn’t really a good idea, now with all the car thief incidents.”, he explained. All the time, oppa was just nodding. Psh. He’s not really listening.

 

“Good. Good. Thank you for that again. Oh. Look at the time. I have to leave already. Sicachoo, please take care of our visitor here, arasso? Let.. what’s your name again?”, pointing at Hae. “Donghae, Sir.”, Hae replied. “Ah! Donghae. Let Donghae stay here for dinner. Drink your juice okay? I have to leave now. Bye, see you tomorrow, Sicachoo.”, he kissed my forehead and headed towards the flight of stairs.

 

“I really shouldn’t stay any longer. I don’t want to bother you and you should rest now.”, Hae said.

 

“Nope. You should. Once he knew I didn’t make you dinner, he’ll scold me. I really don’t want to get scolded by him, he’s worse than Mom. And it’s a way for me to say thank you. You’ve saved me several times already, I owe you a lot.” honestly, oppa wouldn’t really scold me. I just made that up so he could stay a little longer. ( ~ . ^ )

 

“How can I say no to that? Should I help you?”, I just nodded and smiled at him. This isn’t even the first time he cooked for me anyway.

 

We made Kimchi Fried Rice and Bean Sprout Soup. We finished just in time for dinner. I took the utensils and plates out and placed it on the table, and he took the liberty of getting the drinks out of the refrigerator. We look like a married couple. Hihihi :”>  Wait where did that come from? I mean, did I just say that? Was it really me? I was lost in my thoughts that I didn’t realize he was already behind me, offering me to take a seat.

 

Such a gentleman. :”>

 

We hate the hot soup that gave pleasurable sensation. During rainy days like these, it’s nice to have something warm to take in. It was just reported this afternoon that the LPA developed into a storm. And the text message arrived late, so we didn’t have time to prepare.  The rain isn’t that heavy yet, so you could still ignore it.

 

We just talked and talked about random stuff. He asked where my parents were, I told him they were in LA with my sister. Random things again until we ended up talking about Romeo.

 

“Mwoh?! You thought Romeo was a guy?! As in a human male?!”, I was clutching my stomach and slapping my thighs. I could hardly breathe.

 

“Well. We heard your recording and you were talking about him as if he’s a person, so we assumed that he was a guy.”, he was done eating, so he lifter Romeo, put him on his lap and played with his fur. That just made me laugh even more. But wait..

 

“What recording do you mean?”, pausing my laughter and asked with a puzzled look. “The one in the CD, the unlabeled one. I found it inside our hangout place, I didn’t even know it was your recording.” OMG! “So you heard our craziness and my ugly voice?! Taeyeon got that copy, maybe she gave it to Teuk.”, I shouted with my eyes wide open.

 

“It wasn’t ugly, mind you. Actually, you have a sweet voice.” He smiled. That made me blush. :”> I was left speechless. I really don’t know how to respond to that. He checked his wristwatch, “Oh. I should really leave now. Thanks for the meal. So, I’ll pick you up tomorrow morning?”, he asked.

 

“Yeah. Sure. But if oppa arrives early, I’ll ask him to drive me to school. But I also know that’s kind of impossible.”, I answered while bringing Romeo into a room.

 

“That means you’ll be home alone?”, he added after I closed the door. “Yeah. Seems like it.”, I answered and gave a smile. “Oh. By the way, could you give me your phone number? So that I can contact you. And you know, in case of an emergency.” Cheeks! Why are you burning? Is it really burning? I touched my cheeks, it’s perfectly fine though, no fire. BUT WHY DO I FEEL LIKE IT’S BURNING?!

 

“Uhmm. Sure.” I timidly replied. This is the first time after a long time that I gave someone my number, especially to a guy. It just gave me an unusual feeling, I typed in his phone my phone number, and moments later, my phone lit up. He left a missed call, so I also saved his number. He was about to leave the door, making his way out when..

 

*dolphin scream*

 

I felt someone hug me and ask me if I was okay. It was Donghae. He came rushing back the moment he heard me scream, making sure if I was okay. His warm embrace made me feel secured. I slowly opened my eyes, but all I can see was darkness.

 

“Do you have some candles and matches here?”, I just shook my head in response. “How about flashlights? I’m sure you have one here.”, I shook my head for the second time and said, “we do have one, but it’s inside oppa’s room. Unfortunately, it’s locked, since he left.”

 

*lightning* *thunder*

 

I fell on the floor hugging my legs while chanting “everything’s alright” over and over again, trying to calm and comfort myself. There was another set of lightning and thunder again. I couldn’t take it anymore, so I covered my ears and squeezed my eyes close, holding the tears that were tempting to escape my eyes.

 

I felt his arms caressing my shoulders, him being so close to me. He was also trying to make me stand straight and assuring me that it’s alright. I didn’t realize that I was already holding my breath. It was only when he hugged me again when I realized it and released my breath. “Are you sure you don’t have spare candles or flashlights here?” Same question, same response. I just shook my head again. I felt something soft hit my legs, the sofa. 

 

“stay here for a while, okay? I’ll try to find a way to get some light here.”, I grabbed the bottom part of his shirt , stopping him from leaving. “Don’t”, I whispered. “Please don’t leave me here.. alone.” He sat again beside me and once again assured me that everything’s alright and he’s not leaving.

 

“You’re really scared, aren’t you? What do you usually do when this happens and you’re alone. ‘Cause it’s not like someone is with you every time this happens.” Now, I’m no longer holding his shirt’s hem. I felt the warmth of his palms against mine.

 

“I would usually call on of the girls, but in this rainstorm, it’d be dangerous and impossible for them to come. I’m scared, Hae. I’m so scared.”, I gripped his hands tightly, trying to stop the tears again. I felt his other hand’s touch , my hand trapped in between his hands.

 

“It’s alright. I won’t leave you, okay? Everything’s gonna be alright, just trust me.”, I felt secured because of his words. It’s like my heart is trusting him, giving in to his words, which is unuasl. My heart stopped trusting other people, especially guys, after the breakup. But now.. it’s like my heart is giving him my full trust. So peculiar.

 

“Can you rest, I mean sleep with the lights off?”, he asked. I only replied with a very short “No.”. He didn’t speak for a moment, I think he’s thinking of something. “I don’t think the electricity will be back tonight. With this storm, they’d probably shut down all the power source for safety purposes.”

 

Silence...

 

“Wait. I have an idea, but I don’t know if this is a brilliant or a stupid one.”, he suddenly blurted out. I got curious so I asked what it was. “What if we stay in your car? You could take your rest at the back, and we could just turn on the light.” Silence again. “I’m sorry. That was such a stupid i--” I cut him off before he could continue.

“No. It’s a good idea actually.”, with that, we went to the garage where my car was parked earlier. It’s a good thing that our garage is covered with a roof. We went inside the car, me in the back seat, almost occupying the whole space and him in the driver’s seat.

 

Although, like I said previously, I was occupying the whole space allocated for the backseat, I was still uncomfortable. I took a glance of him, and I noticed that he’s also uncomfortable. Pabo~ Of course he would be. Think about it, in your situation, with this big space, you’re still unable to be at ease, what about him who doesn’t even have enough space to stretch  out his legs.

 

Pang of guilt.

 

I slowly tapped his shoulders. “You can take the backseat of you want. I can squeeze-fit myself in the driver’s seat.”, I asked when he turned to face me. I can see on his face how tired he was at the moment. The made me feel all the more guilty.

 

“No. I’m fine here. Take your rest now. Don’t worry about me.” I really couldn’t carry on like this. I feel like a nuisance, and I hate it.

 

“Seriously. I’ve been a nuisance to you lately, so I couldn’t take it anymore if even in your rest I’d be a bother. My consciences won’t allow me to rest, so please, take the backseat.”

 

 Even though there was hesitation on his face, he still transferred to the backseat. I waited for him the car before I went out, but.... he held my hand and said, “I know you’d be much more uncomfortable there, so please, also, stay here. My conscience would also do the same thing to me if I let you go there. I could sleep while sitting, and you could.. well, I think this is another one stupid idea of mine, you could lay your head on my lap. I saw how uncomfortable you were moments ago. At least, the both of us could take some proper rest.”

 

Why?

 

Why couldn’t I say no to that?