Chapter 3

Saving Cinderella
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“SoRa, do you want any biscuits?” MyungSoo asked while squatting in front of a little girl with a smile. The little girl, named SoRa, shook her head while playing with her worn out doll’s hair. MyungSoo smiled wider and softly fondled SoRa’s head, at the same time feeling happy that the girl didn't reject him her head this time. The first time MyungSoo wanted to pat her head, SoRa screamed in shock and was very afraid. However, as time passed by, SoRa finally had gotten used to MyungSoo her head.

“Your sister will be here shortly. Do you want to wait for her outside?” MyungSoo asked again while looking at the clock on the wall. That day was one of the days when SoRa’s elder sister finished school early and will pick her up from MyungSoo’s place. SoRa looked at him with her big eyes before nodding her head. Still smiling, MyungSoo reached out a hand to her and SoRa slowly grabbed his hand. They made their way to the front door before MyungSoo started putting on SoRa’s sweater on her.

He sighed as he helped SoRa put on her patched and faded sweater. The smile on his face earlier disappeared and was replaced by a sad expression. He was zipping up her sweater when he said, “You cannot wear this any longer, princess.” SoRa tilted her head and looked at MyungSoo questioningly.

MyungSoo smiled sadly before gently rubbed her pink cheeks. “This sweater is old and ragged, SoRa. It won’t be able to keep you warm anymore. You really need to have a decent one. Do you want me to get a new one for you?” MyungSoo asked. Knowing that your family will never give you one and how much your sister is struggling.

SoRa shook her head as a ‘no’, just as MyungSoo had expected her answer to be. MyungSoo sighed again and took her outside to sit on the bench in the garden while waiting for SoRa’s sister. MyungSoo lifted her up and made her sit beside him on the bench. However, after about a few seconds later, SoRa slowly climbed on MyungSoo’s lap and rested her head on MyungSoo’s chest while playing with her doll. MyungSoo smiled and hugged her gently while rocking her from side to side.

“Aigoo ... are you sleepy already? How are you going to follow your sister to her work place, then?” MyungSoo asked while her head lovingly. His heart really went out to this little angel. Her childhood since she was born was nothing like other children’s’. In SoRa’s eyes he always felt sadness and fear. MyungSoo tried once in a while to make her smile but it was very difficult. SoRa was not like any other three year olds. She was very different. She seldom talked, let alone laughed. She had no cute dresses or beautiful toys in her possession. All she ever had that her sister was able to give was an old doll that once belonged to their late mother. Who died while giving birth to SoRa.

MyungSoo pitied both SoRa and her elder sister and really felt for them. He wanted to help them, like MyungSoo’s own sister wanted to help them herself but there was nothing much he and his family could do.

MyungSoo was still in his own thoughts when suddenly SoRa jerked up, her hands pointing towards something and she was tugging MyungSoo’s shirt as to tell him what she saw. MyungSoo looked towards what SoRa was pointing and realized that she saw a butterfly flying not far from them. MyungSoo chuckled and nodded.

“It’s a butterfly, SoRa. You like them, do you?” MyungSoo asked while smiling. He never got tired of taking care of her and he always smiled even though SoRa never did. He wanted SoRa to feel safe whenever she was in his care. Deep down, he knew SoRa liked him and enjoyed his company but SoRa just couldn't say it yet. But there were times she showed that she appreciated MyungSoo's presence and that she trusted him by suddenly hugging his leg, sitting on his lap, or at times pinching MyungSoo's nose out of the blue.

SoRa nodded happily at MyungSoo's question and her eyes sparkled. She was still pointing towards the butterfly while looking at MyungSoo’s face and the butterfly alternately. “Say 'butterfly', SoRa. You should try to talk sometimes, princess. I’ve never heard you talk.” MyungSoo said carefully to her. He knew that SoRa can talk. She wasn’t mute but she somehow couldn’t talk with anyone else except her sister.

SoRa looked at MyungSoo before continuing to play with her doll. MyungSoo sighed softly and tried again, “SoRa ah ... I know you have a cute voice. You don’t have to talk so much. Just at least try to say a few words for a start. You’ll be going to a kindergarten next year and you need to communicate. Can you do it?” MyungSoo asked while hoping that SoRa actually understand him.

Seeing that she didn’t give him any reactions, MyungSoo decided to drop the subject as not to upset her. A few minutes later, they saw two figures walking towards their direction. MyungSoo stood up while carried SoRa along in his arms. “Look SoRa, your sister is here!” He said excitedly to catch her attention. SoRa nodded when she saw her elder sister walking towards them with her best friend by her side.

“Hello princess!! Did you have a good time with MyungSoo oppa?” MyungHee asked as she softly pinched her cheeks. SoRa looked at her blankly and nodded. She reached out to her sister, KyonDae who smiled upon seeing her. KyonDae took her from MyungSoo and carried her on her hips.

“Thank you, MyungSoo oppa. I hope she wasn’t a bother when she was with you.” KyonDae said while looking at SoRa who was back playing with her doll with her head landed on KyonDae's shoulder.

MyungSoo shook his head and looked at SoRa with a smile. “Nah, don’t worry about it. She’s a sweetheart, as always. I really don’t mind you dropping her off every day. I love having her around, to be honest.” MyungSoo said and messed SoRa’s head gently.

“So you’re off to work now? You’re sure you don’t want to come inside first?” MyungHee asked while standing beside MyungSoo. All of them were aware that every Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday, KyonDae will be going to her part time job along with SoRa.

Every day before school, KyonDae will drop SoRa off at MyungHee’s house to be looked after by MyungSoo as she had nowhere else to send her sister when she was at school. She really can’t rely on her parents to take care of her sister. Lucky for her, MyungSoo offered to look after SoRa while she was at school as MyungSoo was the only one who was free in the mornings. MyungSoo worked as a guitar teacher and his lessons were usually in the evenings so he was able to help KyonDae to keep an eye on her sister.

“Thanks for the offer MyungHee but I’ll pass this time. We’ll be going first. See you tomorrow.” KyonDae said and as she was about to turn to go, SoRa tugged her sleeve. KyonDae stopped and looked at her sister. “What is it, SoRa?” KyonDae asked.

SoRa whispered something to KyonDae’s ear. KyonDae then looked back at MyungSoo who was clearly confused. Did he do anything wrong? Was SoRa saying anything about him not treating her well? Or maybe SoRa was complaining on how he was smiling all the time and she got irritated of it?

“Why don’t you tell him yourself?” KyonDae whispered back to her sister and made MyungSoo more nervous. MyungHee on the other hand was enjoying herself looking at her brother’s panicked face as if he just did something wrong.

SoRa finished her whisper and hid her face on KyonDae’s shoulder. KyonDae smiled a little seeing her sister. She tapped her sister’s head softly and looked at MyungSoo again and said something that made MyungSoo’s heart feel calm and touched. “Oppa, SoRa said she had a great time with you and she said thank you for playing with her every day. She’s not ready to tell you herself yet so she asked me to tell you for her.”

“Awe ~ she is so cute!” MyungHee cooed and giggled happily. MyungSoo heaved a sigh of relief and smiled broadly upon hearing that. He SoRa’s head again, whose face was not looking at him. “You’re very welcome, SoRa. It’s okay. I’ll wait until you’re ready to talk to me, okay?” SoRa nodded but still wasn’t looking at him. KyonDae laughed a little and figured that SoRa could probably be shy.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter