Chapter 16

Saving Cinderella
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

KyonDae was woken up from the sun that shone into her bedroom. She sat up and rubbed her sore eyes that felt slightly hurt due to the crying the day before. KyonDae looked around and noticed that she was sleeping in a foreign room. The room was bigger and clean and she was also sleeping on a comfy mattress. It took KyonDae a while to get her mind straight and then she started to realize that she had been sleeping in her new room, in her new house.

KyonDae sighed as she thought of the word ‘new house’ as it brought her back to everything that happened two days ago. She was then reminded by the fact that SoRa was gone. Her little sister that used to wake her up occasionally in the mornings was not there anymore.

KyonDae looked to her side and tried to fight the urge to cry as she didn’t see SoRa’s figure beside her. What was there was only her dolly, her favourite dolly which she used to carry around wherever she went. That was the only thing that belonged to SoRa that didn’t get burnt in the fire.

“SoRa ... Unnie miss you.” KyonDae mumbled and a tear fell. She took the doll and gently hugged it as she sobbed silently. Not a moment too soon later, the door opened slightly and revealed EunJung, with a loving smile on her face.

She softened when she saw KyonDae tearing up with her hands hugging SoRa’s doll. Slowly, she walked towards her bed and sat at the edge of the mattress. “You okay?” She asked. KyonDae wiped her tears and took a deep breath. She the doll’s head and answered, “I will be.”

EunJung reached out to her and slowly KyonDae went to her mother’s arms. EunJung patted her back and comforted her, “You can cry as much as you want but promise me that you will move on, okay? I’m here with you. It’s okay.”

KyonDae nodded her head and hugged her mother back. Despite feeling sad, she felt grateful as well that she still had a mother to comfort her at times like this. EunJung broke the hug once KyonDae had calmed down and smiled at her. “You have a guest downstairs.”

KyonDae frowned. Who would be coming this early in the morning? “Who? L.Joe?” KyonDae asked but then mentally reminded herself that L.Joe was probably in Australia right now. It can’t be him.

EunJung smiled playfully and said, “No. Not him. Were you expecting to see him though? It’s your other friend, MyungHee.” KyonDae’s face brightened upon hearing MyungHee’s name. She jumped out of bed and ran downstairs, can’t wait to give her friend a hug.

KyonDae was skipping the steps as she was too excited and MyungHee chuckled seeing her getting all hyper. “Yah! Be careful! You’ll fall!”

“I missed you, MyungHee!” KyonDae said as she hugged her best friend. Even though they just met yesterday but KyonDae couldn’t help but to feel the longing towards her best friend as she wasn’t in the right state of mind the whole day yesterday.

MyungHee hugged her back and patted her head. “I know, I missed you too. It’s a bit weird not seeing you for a day.” KyonDae broke the hug with a smile still on her face but disappeared when she saw a luggage beside MyungHee.

“What’s with the luggage? You’re going somewhere too?” KyonDae asked as her face completely fell. She could feel her heart was breaking again. Was MyungHee going to go somewhere too?

MyungHee quickly shook her head and gave her a comforting smile. “No, I’m not going anywhere. I’m staying here with you for a while.” KyonDae looked at her with bewildered eyes. “Really? You’re staying here? Why?” She bombarded MyungHee with questions. She was very happy that her best friend was staying with her, as being close to MyungHee was all that she wanted. But she can’t help but to be curious as well. Why so suddenly?

“She’ll be staying with you because I’m going out of town for a while, love.” EunJung explained as she appeared from behind her. KyonDae turned to her and looked at her sadly. “Oh, mom. You’re going too?” Why is everybody leaving me?

EunJung looked at her apologetically and smiled. “I’m so sorry, KyonDae. I have to since my manager is not allowing me to skip this. I tried to talk to him that I wanted to stay with you but I can’t back out from this business trip. I wanted to take you along but-”

“Hey mom, it’s okay. You leave because you have to right? You don’t have a choice. Besides, it’s very thoughtful of you to invite MyungHee for me. But won’t Mrs. Kim mind, MyungHee?” KyonDae turned to MyungHee and the girl laughed slightly and hugged her shoulder.

“My mother doesn’t mind at all. She even thought that this is a good idea. Besides, you don’t know how your mom and I are now best friends right after your mother called her this morning. The both of them seemed to share the same interests.” KyonDae smiled in relief when MyungHee said that.

“I really can’t thank her enough, MyungHee. She’s such a sweet lady, too. Anyway, KyonDae, I won’t be going for long though. I’ll be back in three days.” EunJung said as she grabbed her handbag and her small suitcase. “You’ll be okay right?” She asked, a part of her was still concerned about leaving KyonDae as she knew that her daughter was still a bit unstable in terms of emotions.

KyonDae nodded in assurance and said, “I’ll be fine, mother. MyungHee is here and so is her brother though, whom we can go and meet regularly. You can concentrate on your work okay?” EunJung stared at her face and nodded with a sigh. She was really reluctant to leave her daughter but what else could she do?

“If ever you need me, just call me. Do not hesitate, okay? I don’t care what time it is. If you need me home, just call.” EunJung reminded KyonDae while cupping her face with both hands. Her boss might not allow her to skip this business trip but should her daughter need her home, nothing could stop her from doing just that.

KyonDae covered her mother’s hands with her own and gave her a smile. Hearing those words couldn’t make her happier, and she knew that EunJung meant it from the look in her eyes.

EunJung kissed both KyonDae and MyungHee’s cheek before she left the house. Deep down, she felt unwilling to leave her daughter, not when they just met and the tragedy that had just befallen KyonDae. She could only hope that MyungHee would be able to keep an eye on her until she returned.

“Yah. Get up. Now.” KyonDae said while gritting her teeth and her leg kicking the bed. HeaJung who was still asleep was shocked to see KyonDae and quickly got up into a sitting position. “G-good morning, KyonDae.” HeaJung said with her head staring at the floor. She was scared to meet KyonDae’s eyes as she looked very scary. HeaJung had never ever seen that side of KyonDae before and now when she did, she was scared to .

KyonDae was expressionless but her eyes could already tell everything on her behalf. It was dark, filled with rage, and sharp like eagle’s eyes. One wrong move, you’ll never see daylight again.

“Get your lazy bones up and go make me and MyungHee breakfast. It has to be ready on the table in fifteen minutes. One minute late, you’re out of this house.” KyonDae ordered. Her tone was stiff but was frightening enough to scare the out of HeaJung. “O-okay, KyonDae. It will be ready soon.” HeaJung stuttered and quickly went out of the room, feeling afraid to stay in the same room as KyonDae with a dark aura surrounding her.

KyonDae looked around HeaJung’s room and smirked while crossing her arms.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter