Bittersweet Healing

It Begins With Blood

                The news broke through their camp with a mixture of emotions.  Disbelief, nervousness, excitement, uncertainty, joy…  All of them thrummed through those present, the message heralded by the wolf-kin, acting as spokespersons between them and the Guardians.  Uniquely suited to that role, they had just enough magic in their blood to allow communication without having to worry about a need for healing or change.

                So Henry and Jongup volunteered, glad at last to have some sort of role in which they could help, to be more than just an extra pair of hands.  After the communion with Kangin, much made sense and the Guardians were better able to speak their thoughts in general.  Generations of knowledge from the blood of the fallen flowing through them still needed to be categorized, absorbed, understood, but the burden of the Chos at least taught them the skills to make sense of it all.  What’s more, the direct exchange between Kangin and the wolf-Guardian, as it opted to remain, revealed the history of all of them: man, vampire, wolf, Hunter, Possessed… all writ in the blood of those it had tasted or gleaned from connecting with others.

                And with that information too came the knowledge of how it was done.  Therein lay the answer to how it could be undone.  That was the news that so had the camp in an uproar.  But the process was slow and it would take time.  No one knew how long.  The Guardians had never tried to heal such a thing other than the odd wolf and the half-turned – though nothing undead – as they were new to the world, but through Henry and Jongup, they promised it could be done.

                For many, there was no trouble in choosing.  Yukwon and Seungho had been among the first to volunteer, much to Hana and Amber’s trepidation.  But since neither wanted to be a vampire and the half-turned way of life required the blood of one to be sustained, it was simple for them.  And that was where the many Guardians arriving came in.

                Any single Guardian could only heal one particular ‘illness’ at a time.  So while a single creature could plant in and entomb their patients – Yukwon and Seungho were literally enfolded within the Guardian – it could not do the same for a vampire or a werewolf.  Nor could a single Guardian heal an unlimited amount of nonhumans at the same time: it was a taxing affair that would immobilize and drain them until such time that they could finish the healing.

                For others, the choice was more difficult or could not be made at all.  Jinki had yet to wake from his comatose state, as did Kyuhyun, Kangin and Youngjae – the latter two of whom were suffering from a massive short out – and many other vampires and werewolves were hesitant to give up their way of life.

                “I am a wolf.  Not a man,” Seunghyun shook his head, conflicted by the newest happenings.

                It was worse for the wolves because with a voice, the Guardians were better able to explain their plight in turn.  Jongup did his best to speak with the Chois, being a cousin of Junhong’s after all.  “They say you’re sick,” he explained, blinking his narrow eyes when he tried to listen and put into words the full extent of what that meant.  “Not just with being able to change, but that something inside is broken,” he frowned, glancing at the Guardian he was attached to in confusion.  It was of average size to most of them, comparatively speaking, and liberally covered in climbing vines, though here and there a piece of a car or some concrete poked through.

                Coming close to Siwon, Sunny laid her hand on his arm with a glance at Seunghyun, and let a sad smile pull at .  “He means that we are all sterile.”  Both Chois blanched at the announcement and Siwon’s fingertips brushed against Sunny’s covered belly.  “Me too,” she nodded, grabbing his hand with hers.

                “Right,” Jongup nodded with his puppyish smile, grateful for Sunny’s presence.

                “But can’t they fix that?” Seunghyun growled softly, making Jongup flinch.

                “Well yes, but…” he trailed off, looking to Sunny for help again since the Alpha was intimidating in general, especially when he didn’t understand what was going on.

                “Seunghyun,” Siwon called in a low, respectful tone, grabbing the Alpha’s shoulder in a firm grip.  The equally tall male tensed up at the contact with a glare at his packmate, sensing if he was being challenged.  But when it became obvious that was not the case, he sighed and relaxed perceptibly, head twisting from side to side so that he could crack his neck instead.

                “If they fix you,” Jongup began, gesturing with his hands animatedly, “you won’t be able to transform again.”  Seunghyun’s face darkened slightly and the wolf-kin swallowed nervously.  “But you’ll be fixed in human or wolf form,” he added quickly, stepping back.  “You can choose,” he assured them, nodding quickly with his words.

                His face heavy with thought, Siwon turned to the woman beside him.  “Sunny, I…”

                “I know,” she answered with a small smile, her bright face turned up to him and her light brown hair dangling above her shoulders.  “Me too,” she admitted, bringing his hand up to her cheek warmly.  Siwon’s smile matched hers in seconds and he nodded once.  “Come,” Sunny urged, pulling him along by the hand so they could go somewhere else.  “We can talk it over first.  Nothing needs to be decided yet,” she supplied with an appreciative look at Jongup who grinned back, waving after them.

                Still conflicted, Seunghyun looked at his hands with a frown on his face.  “I was born a werewolf.  Not a man or a wolf.  Both,” he murmured, quite obviously dealing with a crisis of identity.

                Jongup left him to figure it out on his own but was then approached by Taekwoon who carried Sulli since she could not walk on her own.  After a brief conversation, Jongup could only shake his head sadly when he translated that the Guardians could not heal her legs.  “They… fix what can be healed normally.  But better and faster,” he cringed, sorry to see the disappointment on her face.

                Her shoulders dropped and she looked down with a slight frown, her apparent hopes dashed.  “Then I would be just a human,” she swallowed, her tone slightly bitter.  “What good is a wolf with only two legs?” she exhaled sharply.  Taekwoon did not try to speak words of comfort.  He simply held her close as she rested her head on his shoulder, offering what silent reassurance he could.

                A similar concern brought Luna, with Junhong shadowing her, as well.  “So they can’t fix Karam?” she sniffed, eyes tired and red from where she was trying not to fall apart again.  Losing Sungmin had been infinitely hard on her and seeing Karam in his condition certainly didn’t make her feel any better.  Especially since she blamed herself.

                “Not his back,” Jongup winced, looking to Junhong for help.  Neither quite knew what to do about such tears.

                “Can they fix me?” she asked in a small voice, wringing her hands in worry as she looked between the ground and Jongup’s face, obviously concerned about what he was going to say.

                With a confused look at Junhong this time, since Jongup didn’t know what she was asking about specifically, he shrugged.  The taller wolf motioned with his hands to mutely indicate her small size.  ‘Oh,’ he mouthed without a sound, understanding her concern.  He honestly didn’t know and so he asked the Guardian.  Brown eyes flickered wildly as his consciousness shifted, turning inward for a moment.  But when he focused, he had the same, apologetic look on his face as before.  “They don’t think so,” he explained as gently as he could, laying a hand on her shoulder only to have her step back with a broken look on her face.

                “It doesn’t matter,” she sniffed, wiping at tired eyes several times.  “It doesn’t matter at all,” Luna cried, retreating swiftly to Karam’s side, her fingers tangling in his fur gently as he slept on in wolf form.

                “What…?” Jongup started to ask, slightly lost.

                Junhong winced and he scratched at dark blonde curls helplessly.  “She was born a wolf.”

                “Oh yeah,” the wolf-kin cringed, knowing that would be a hard position to be in: young by human standards, perpetually a pup as a wolf… neither world was ideal.  He was just glad he didn’t have to make such a choice in the grand scheme of things.

                For his part, Henry had his hands full with the vampires in turn.  Most of the Chas were rather vainly attached to their wings, though N had already lost his and was generally swayed towards making the transition already.  With the regional Elder making his choice, it was likely it wouldn’t take long for most of the Chas in general to shift in turn.  Sungmin of the Shim Clan was another easy choice.

                “You mean I might be able to live a day without hearing every single thing all the time?” he’d asked incredulously, with a hint of sarcasm.

                In Changmin’s mind, it was not so simple.  “You get used to it.  In time,” he whispered, staring blankly ahead, aware of almost everything around him but unseeing just then.  “We all do.  Or we die,” he shrugged with a self-deprecating laugh.  His face fell then though, memories dancing on his visage for all to see.

                Changjo moved close then, somewhat torn himself.  “But when others die and you’re the one left, what do you do then?” he asked with a gentle touch on the elder vampire’s shoulder, the question for himself as much as it was for the other man.

                Almost as if he was startled by the contact, Changmin jumped slightly and glanced at his companion, a slight smile tugging at the corner of his mouth.  “You live on, young one.”

                The name made Changjo snort and he shook his head.  “So can’t you do that as either?”

                Changmin’s expression turned thoughtful then and he brought his thumbnail to his mouth to worry it with his teeth.  “Yeah.  Yeah you can,” he agreed, giving little clue as to which he might choose.

                For Zhou and Ren, the decision was a bit easier.  The latter hadn’t really wanted to be turned in the first place; it had just been the best solution to a tough spot to be in when he had been tired of feeling weak and helpless as a human.  Given the circumstances now, he missed the sun and he’d learned that being a vampire was only half of what it was cracked up to be.  Zhou, on the other hand, decided to think it over for a little while.  He was accustomed to the life he knew but he wouldn’t deny he missed the sun as well.  Most vampires did.

                As for the Chos… most of them were otherwise incapacitated but Ryeowook knew what he wanted to do.  And yet he was torn.

                “You’re going to change, aren’t you?” JR asked, holding Ryeowook’s hand as he knelt beside him, a hopeful expression on his face.

                “I want to,” Ryeowook smiled, tightening his grip slightly.  His legs were still horribly mangled and his ribs had yet to heal back into place and he was so very tired, but at least he was awake.  Every moment was additionally spent battling off depression but with his brother around especially, it helped.  “What if he doesn’t want to?” he asked, glancing between Henry and JR with his bottom lip caught between his teeth.

                Neither needed to ask to know who he was talking about.  “Would you stay with him?” Henry wondered aloud, his fingertips gently touching the vampire’s shoulder.

                “I don’t know,” Ryeowook whispered back, afraid he knew the answer and afraid that he didn’t.  If he became a human and Kyuhyun didn’t, then he would die and the vampire would lose him in time.  While Ryeowook would be sad about that in general, it felt cruel to do that to Kyuhyun.  And that was counting on the fact that they would stay together regardless.  But… if he didn’t become a human, he would lose JR in much the same way.  Which love did he choose?  He couldn’t…

                “Maybe he’ll wake up soon?” JR urged, trying to be hopeful.  By the look on his face and the tears that had yet to fall from his eyes, Ryeowook knew his brother wanted him back.  He wanted to be back too, but with Kyuhyun, things weren’t as simple as they used to be.

                “Maybe,” Ryeowook agreed with a thick voice.  He turned his attention back to Henry though, a question written all over his face.

                “I don’t know, Wookie,” the wolf-kin admitted just as tightly.  “They honestly don’t know either,” he had to add after another brief conferral with his Guardian.

                “I might still lose you anyway,” Ryeowook sniffed, freeing his hand to cup JR’s cheek tenderly.

                “No you won’t,” JR swallowed, doing his best not to let the tears fall.  And for the time being, they had to leave it at that.  Ryeowook was content to wait for at least a little while to see what others might do and if Kyuhyun would wake.  He knew for his sake and for JR’s, he would need to choose something for sure, but he could delay in the meanwhile.

                Frustratingly, the Possessed were in a similarly confounded position.  The spirits themselves wanted to move on and the hosts wished for nothing more than a normal life.  But with the revelation made clear to them and to the Guardians, there was a problem.  Their existence was bound to that of the Hunters.  The same magic that had given the Hunters their power prevented the cursed spirits from haunting those three families, but others had been present that day.  As such, the two were distantly associated and linked in particular by the death of their kinswoman, sacrificed to a demon for power.

                The Guardians tried to fix them, but curses were different when spirits were involved.  In order for the spirits to be able to move on, something else would have to happen first.  And for those five spirits and four bodies, the task felt impossible.  Chaerin tried to comfort Ken while Daesung did his best to console Baekho, but none of them felt much hope about the situation.  Would they really have to find and ‘heal’ every Hunter in the world?

                They didn’t know, but Minsoo did his best to offer what solace he could.  “I am sorry,” he murmured, approaching the four who were shadowed by Jiyong who looked uncomfortable near Chaerin, since he didn’t know what to do to fix the situation.

                “You didn’t do it,” Daesung shrugged, his arm slung over Baekho’s shoulders while his younger brother’s face showed little but bleak acceptance.  They’d had such hope of being free with the words of healing being thrown around.  It was hard to swallow the bitter pill now.

                “No.  But that doesn’t mean I can’t try to help make things right,” he explained with a frown.

                “What could you do?” Chaerin asked, more bitter than the others with her twice cursed existence.

                “If it would help, I would give my power up right now,” he assured them, elbows resting on his knees as he squatted in front of the four.  “But it won’t yet because there are many others out there who may need convincing.”  The Parks immediately came to mind but he pushed the uncharitable thought aside.  They were stubborn s sometimes but not exactly bad.

                “It’s impossible,” Ken sighed, head hanging on his chest.

                “A vampire turning back into a human was impossible not more than a couple days ago,” he reminded them with a thoughtful smile, the expression subdued but hopeful.

                “That’s different,” Ken muttered, still dejected.

                “For now,” Minsoo conceded with a nod, meeting the gazes of the other three.  “But I promise you, when the rest have been found and the wrongs made right, I will give up my power.”

                “But you’re just one person, Minsoo,” Daesung pointed out, though the corner of his mouth was beginning to pull into a smile as well.

                “Yes.  And when I find Mir, there will be two of us!” he winked confidently.  “He’ll help me too.  I know it,” the Hunter promised solemnly with his warm grin beginning to appear.

                The situation was hardly ideal but his enthusiasm was infectious and it slowly but surely conjured one from the four as well – Jiyong was already there, cheeky bastard.  That enthusiasm was slightly tempered when Mir actually arrived in camp three days after Minsoo’s promise, riding on the back of a Guardian with Mika in tow and Hyoyeon, of all wolves, leading the way.

                “Minsoo!” Mir shouted as he was set on the ground so that he could run through the growing establishment that was their expanding base camp.

                “Mir?” the Hunter blinked in confusion, surprised by the appearance.  It was quickly replaced by joy as he dropped what he was carrying – debris for the Guardians to turn into more shelter stuff – and ran to his brother with a huge grin on his face.  “You’re okay!”  He knocked the wind out of the younger man when they caught each other in a giant bear hug and it was only belatedly that he realized something was different.

                “Soo!  I can’t breathe,” Mir rasped, pushing on the other man’s arms to try and make them loosen.

                “Eh?” Minsoo cocked his head with a raised brow.  “What’s wrong?” he asked, setting the younger man down hastily.

                “I’m not a Hunter anymore,” he coughed, pounding on his chest with his fist.

                “Already?!” the elder Bang groaned with both hands on his head.  “Ayah…” he exhaled, rubbing the back of his neck.

                “What do you mean already?” Mir asked with a blank look.

                Minsoo reached out to very lightly bonk his brother on the head with a loose fist.  “You were supposed to wait,” he snorted with a wry grin.

                “Ow!” Mir yelped, clasping his head with both hands.  “Why?” he winced, hissing at the sting and the vast power difference between them.  So that was why Heechul had been hurting so much that time.

                “Oh…” his brother cringed, reaching out apologetically to rub his head.  “Sorry,” he chuckled, realizing what had happened, even when he was trying to be careful.  He slung an arm over his brother’s shoulder, slightly awkward because Mir was just a bit taller, and then spotted the other newcomers.  “Is that Mika?” he raised a surprised brow.

                “Yep,” Mika waved, walking carefully while his head swiveled as if it was on a stick.  It almost seemed as if he was afraid someone would jump out to attack him at any moment.

                “And Hyoyeon,” Mir supplied when Minsoo struggled to place the wolf.

                “She’s alive?!” he gaped, laughing in amazement when she just wolf-smiled at him and then bounded off to find the other wolves nearby.  “I’ll be damned,” he chuckled with a nod.

                “What were you saying though?” the younger man prompted when his sibling seemed a bit distracted.

                “Huh?  Oh right!  Did you hear about the Possessed yet?” he asked, guiding them off towards the direction of where they usually clustered.

                And Ryeowook watched on as all the world continued to move and change.  In the mere week since they’d fled the cave-in and made peace with the wolf-Guardian, their site had been vastly changed.  Gone were the makeshift shelters the humans had thrown together to the best of their ability.  They had instead been replaced by actual trees that had been shaped and formed to grow in certain ways with the guidance of the Guardians.  Everyone that needed a place had one, though power was still a problem, and food was becoming easier to manage, if only because the Guardians were also good about promoting fruit tree and berry bush growth.

                Meat was a little harder to find though not impossible.  The wolves that had yet to make their decision or were still deciding simply had to range further out to find their meals.  Somewhat surprisingly, Sunhwa had made the decision to become a wolf – though she was waiting to make the change final in favor of helping while she still had both forms – and was a permanent companion to the wolf-Guardian.  They ran together on a regular basis and it carried back what she found, usually bringing enough for many to eat, should they need it.

                Henry continued to thrive in his role as a voice of the Guardian and things looked to be settling down into a pattern they could all enjoy.  The humans like Minho, Soohyun, Taeyang, Jiyong, Minhyuk, Amber, and JR also did well, adjusting to a more secure and safer existence.  What was more, as they continued to build up their site, bringing materials from far and wide where Guardians roamed with a wolf or the knowledge of what it was looking for, straggling survivors began to trickle in.  Only a couple at a time for now, often found by wandering Guardians or simply drawn by the presence of the always burning fire in their midst.

                Sequestered permanently out of the possible rays of the sunlight, Ryeowook and the other unconscious Chos, including Jinki, simply waited.  Well, Ryeowook waited while the others rested – some off and on – and slept.  Youngjae had resumed consciousness a couple times but was still rather out of it, and while Kangin had eventually woken up too, his eyes were blank.  The lights were on but nobody was home; or at least not at the front door.  It felt an eternity that they’d been asleep and yet he knew it was only days.

                But the days crawled by and Ryeowook flipped between his decisions on an hourly basis.  When JR came by, he wanted to turn and when it was just him and Kyuhyun, he didn’t.  He wanted Kyuhyun to turn but then second guessed himself that the vampire would be mad and would hate him for the decision made for him.  He convinced himself the other vampire would wake up any day now and then thought he never would.

                It was the very erratic nature of his thoughts that finally prompted him to speak with Henry.  Willingly, the young man came by and entered the boule that had been hollowed out for them so they could rest in privacy but still receive guests if anyone wanted to visit.  Like now.

                “Hey Wookie,” Henry smiled, coming close to hug the vampire in his half-reclined position.  Healing was still painfully slow but he relished the contact and for a long time, they just stayed that way; Henry holding on and Ryeowook gripping tight like he might never let go.  “You wanted to see me?” Henry finally murmured, waiting for the other to relax first.

                Ryeowook did so reluctantly, one hand still holding onto Henry’s hand so they retained some sort of contact.  “Yeah,” he nodded, chewing his bottom lip worriedly.

                “What is it?” the other man asked, kneeling in front of the crippled vampire.

                With a look at Kyuhyun, his other hand wrapping around the downed vampire’s, he swallowed once.  “I know they can heal us,” he began with a nod to himself.  “And I’ve seen how it starts.”  He looked up to see Henry smiling at him encouragingly.  He gave his hand a small squeeze and Ryeowook continued, “Can they heal two of us at once?”

                “Of course,” Henry laughed lightly, his expression showing that he didn’t quite understand what was being asked.

                “I mean, together.  In the same space,” Ryeowook clarified.  Every person that wanted to change had gone in individually and he’d seen the pods for those who would take longer for healing: the werewolves and the vampires in particular.  Sickly flowers blossomed on the trees or the ‘cocoons’ that housed them.  They were indicators of the progression of healing and Ryeowook was worried two would be too taxing.

                “Hmm.  I’m not sure,” Henry admitted, his brow furrowing at the thought as he conversed with the Guardian.  “Why would you need both of you to be there?” he asked in a slightly distracted tone.

                Another look at Kyuhyun’s motionless face solidified Ryeowook’s choice.  “I need him to know that I’m still there with him.  I need to be there when he… when we wake up,” he nodded simply, holding tight to Henry’s hand.

                Henry pursed his lips and nodded in understanding, his eyes slightly narrowed.  “They say it should be okay,” he murmured, mouth twisting to the side.  “But it may take longer.”

                “Okay,” Ryeowook nodded with his teeth digging into his bottom lip.

                “Much longer,” Henry warned gently, touching Ryeowook’s leg to draw his friend’s attention.

                “I was afraid of that,” he admitted with a tremulous voice.  “Do they really have no idea?” he had to ask again, the idea baffling to him.

                Henry scratched his long, brown hair – he needed a haircut – and shrugged.  “They think the wolves should be done in a month or two?” he gestured helplessly.  “Maybe longer, depending on the injuries…”

                “And people like me?” Ryeowook asked softly, his voice barely more than a whisper.

                “Years?” Henry cringed uncertainly.  “You’re undead, Wookie,” he forced an incredulous laugh at the look that crossed his friend’s face.  “I don’t even know how they’re bringing you back to life, much less how long that would take,” he admitted as sincerely as he could.

                With a downcast expression, Ryeowook nodded and rubbed his face.  “I know.  You’re right,” he admitted in a voice that cracked.  “Can you…  Can you get my brother for me?” he pleaded with a thin breath.

                “Of course,” Henry smiled, drawing close to pull Ryeowook into a hug once more.  The vampire seemed like he needed it.  “It’s alright, Wookie.  He’ll understand,” he soothed, petting the rumpled black hair with his hand reassuringly.

                “Will he?” he asked back, not sure if he meant Kyuhyun or JR.

                “Yes,” Henry responded firmly, regardless of who he meant.  “Now wait here.  I’ll be right back,” he promised, pulling away until their fingertips were the only things touching.  “He’ll understand,” he promised once more with a determined look in his eyes.  Then he stepped away and went to find JR.

                In truth, convincing JR wasn’t half as difficult as Ryeowook imagined it would be.

                “I want you to be human again, Wookie,” he admitted into Ryeowook’s neck as he held his older brother tight.  “I know it might take a long time,” he sniffed, whimpering the words softly.  “But I’ll come visit you every day.”  Ryeowook laugh-cried at the words and he held tighter to his brother, trembling slightly.  “And when you get out, I’ll take you to the brightest, sunniest place I can find and we’ll lay in the sunshine all day.  Got it?”

                Ryeowook wasn’t able to stop his tears this time and he nodded mutely before he collected himself enough to speak.  “I can’t wait,” he mumbled with a tight throat.

                “Good,” JR choked, shaking too.  “Because I can’t either.”

                “Okay,” Ryeowook whispered, pressing his lips to the side of JR’s head.  “We’re ready,” he whispered, still holding onto his brother.

                “Henry,” JR called out, pulling away very slowly, reluctant to move.

                “I’m here,” the other man assured them with the sound of rustling vines and shifting stone.

                Careful tendrils flowed in while the green growths encircled the vampires within carefully.  Ryeowook tensed up when the movement hurt, jarring his body since the bones and such were still healing, but they were gentle and slow.  JR walked beside him, holding his hand as they moved, and when he glanced around, he could see the bodies of Jinki, Kangin, Youngjae, and Kyuhyun moving with him.  He felt a little bad about making the decision for the Chos himself, but as the acting Elder – that was a frightening thought – he’d made the call so that none of them would have to face the madness that often plagued the eldest of their kind.

                If they didn’t like it, they could yell at him afterwards.  Probably.

                The three, single vampires were all carefully deposited in anchored pods which were essentially Guardians that had taken root to become healing incubators.  As Henry had explained it, they perpetually drew power, nutrients, and knowledge from the earth to reverse the change and heal the damage done to those within.  And that was going to be him and Kyuhyun shortly.  He tried to relax as he was placed inside one such thing, the chamber slightly bigger than normal.  JR let go of his hand to help guide Kyuhyun’s unconscious body in as well.

                Awkwardly, Ryeowook tried to shift into a position that would hurt the least for both of them, and then looked into Kyuhyun’s unconscious face.  “He’ll be alright,” JR urged from the entrance, his hand resting on the still open lip.  “Just like you will be,” he added, reaching in with his hand.

                Ryeowook caught his hand reflexively and nodded, holding tight.  “I love you, JR.”

                “I love you too, Wookie.  Rest well,” he smiled with tears in his eyes as the opening began to close.

                They let go before it got too close and Ryeowook watched until he couldn’t see his brother anymore.  The darkness within was complete, but with his vampire sight, he could make out some things: like Kyuhyun’s face only inches from his.  He tensed up when he felt slithering tendrils of vines starting to move around them, anchoring them further in place as tiny fingers sprouted to spread out all over their bodies.

                “I love you, Kyuhyun,” he whispered, taking the chance to kiss the vampire’s lips once more.  He pulled away to rest his head against Kyuhyun’s chest while the little fingers around them seemed to take root, anchoring into their skin like hundreds of tiny needles threading into place.  It didn’t hurt exactly, but it was uncomfortable.  “Sweet dreams, love,” he murmured, clenching his eyes shut tight as he felt power washing over him.

                It pushed him further into the darkness and dragged his consciousness down and down and down until awareness fell away entirely.  And for a time, Ryeowook slept.