Coming to Terms

It Begins With Blood

                Once more, Mir had been right in his assumptions.  While the Kims didn’t exactly kill him, neither did they give him a chance to explain what happened before Heechul in particular started laying into him with a particularly sharp tongue.  Shivering from the cold and huddling next to Mika for warmth while Hyoyeon pressed close to his leg, they all winced at the verbal barrage, shoulders jerking at each well-aimed point.  Not that he hadn’t already thought of them himself.

                “What were you thinking?!”  He hadn’t been; not after what he’d seen anyway.  “Why would you even get close enough to talk to it?!”  Because he was curious and it wasn’t trying to kill him.  “How could you stupidly trust some random, crazy stranger?!”  He hadn’t exactly trusted him and he wasn’t completely crazy.  Not really…  “Especially one that was living inside one of those things!”  Okay, that part had been weird.  “Just… why, Mir?!” the redhead raged with a mix of frustration and real confusion on his face.

                “You weren’t there,” Mir tried to defend himself meekly, very much outnumbered with the three to one ratio against him.  Mika didn’t really count as help and the humans weren’t going to side with him on this.

                “Of course we weren’t!” Jaejoong snapped back, finger pointing at him accusingly.  “You’re the one that wanted to go check it out by yourself!”

                Mir frowned at the words, mouth quirking to the side.  “Would you have preferred if we’d all run into the damn thing?!  Last time I checked, that didn’t end so well!” he fired back, glaring at Heechul in particular.

                “You impudent, little-” the former Hunter started to protest with an affronted expression.

                “Hyoyeon knew him!” Mir overran him, knowing as soon as he said the words that he’d damned himself to more of a tongue-lashing.  He barely resisted the urge to slap himself in the face with his palm.

                The surprise of the Kims was palpable and all three of them looked at each other with incredulous expressions.  While not as bloodthirsty as the Parks when it came to destroying their nonhuman foes, they certainly had a streak in them that didn’t allow for trusting the things either.  “You listened to the wolf?!” Key screeched, his voice rising into surprisingly high octaves with his outrage.  Beside him, the humans winced with their fingers in their ears, unsure how to react themselves.

                “Yes,” Mir groaned, rolling his eyes as he looked away, still cold.  That part he definitely missed, but after having seen their history, he didn’t regret his choice.  Mostly…

                “What is wrong with you?!” Heechul snapped once more, face red from his exertion.

                “Nothing!” Mir finally shouted, having had enough already.  But as soon as he tried to conjure copies like he normally would under similar situations, he blinked in confusion, dumbfounded as to why nothing happened.

                “Idiot,” Jaejoong snorted, rolling his eyes as he realized almost immediately what happened.

                Mir’s face darkened perceptibly but surprisingly, Heechul spoke up for him.  “Don’t,” he grumbled, elbowing his sibling hard.

                “Hey!” Jaejoong yelped in mild outrage, immediately reacting to punch him in the shoulder in retaliation.  Unused to the change in his brother, he didn’t temper his blow and the hit knocked Heechul sideways with a pained cry as he clutched the injured area.

                “Jae!” Key chastised at once, catching Heechul close to steady him.

                “Sorry!” the other man yelped, eyes going wide as he abruptly pulled the nearest person in front of him: Aron.  Old habits died hard and a hurt and angry Heechul was still potentially frightening, even if he was just a human now.

                “Yah!” the confused human shouted, stiffening with wide eyes as he looked at the other two Kims.  Not surprisingly, he looked to the other members of their group for help, though no one seemed entirely sure of what to do.

                Mir and Mika exchanged long suffering looks and they shook their heads.  Reassuringly, Mir reached down to pet Hyoyeon’s face and she his hand once before nudging her nose into his palm with a quiet whine.  With a nod of his head, Mir sent Mika to go rescue Aron before the human died of fright.  As the former mercenary cautiously did just that, carefully pulled Aron aside while Jaejoong tried to stay behind him and Heechul simply glared daggers at his brother, Mir took a breath.

                “Look.  I know what I did was stupid,” he admitted, holding up his hand to forestall any interruption, the action necessary by the open mouths of Key and Heechul.  The latter frowned and then shut Key’s mouth before he crossed his arms with a glower.  “But you didn’t see what I did,” he stated plainly, hoping it would work better than their shouting match had earlier.

                “What are you talking about?” Jaejoong muttered with narrowed eyes.  “You met a man in a monster and it took your powers.  What else was there to see?” he gestured with his hands flippantly.

                “I didn’t see anything when it took mine,” Heechul commented warily, clearly unsure.

                “Yours also didn’t have anybody in it,” Mika mumbled under his breath without looking at anybody.  He at least felt a slight alignment with Mir, if only because he’d actually been there and seen Satoru when he stepped out of the creature.

                “How would you know?” Heechul snapped back, trying to start another useless argument between them.

                “Stop that,” Key chided this time, covering Heechul’s mouth with his hand before he rubbed his forehead with his fingers.  It was only the fact that he was the youngest that saved him from Heechul’s wrath, and he knew it.  “What did you see, Mir?  Why would it make you want to give up your power?”

                Mir’s belly clenched at the memory and his hands tightened into fists without him realizing.  Hyoyeon nudged his hand and he jerked in surprise, relaxing almost immediately at the reminder.  “We’ve always been told our powers were divinely gained,” he his lips as he spoke, dark eyes darting between the other three.

                “Yeah,” Jaejoong nodded, gaze still wary.  “So?”

                “What if they weren’t?” Mir responded softly, swallowing as he tried to gather his thoughts.  He could see the disbelief in the faces of the Kims; the belief that it was impossible.

                Resolutely, Heechul pulled Key’s hand away from his mouth.  “Explain.”

                Shivering, Mir hugged himself instead and asked with chattering teeth, “Can we start a fire or something first?  If you’re not going to kick my , I’d like to keep it from freezing off now,” he barked a laugh, not exactly eager to tell his story.

                At least his response made Heechul chuckle, if nothing else.  The older man signaled to Jaejoong who immediately moved to gather firewood.  Key drifted off to clear out a spot on the ground to make it easier to set up some sort of camp.  And Heechul gestured Mir closer with a curl of his lip at the wolf the followed close by.  “I still think you’re a fool,” he reminded the other former Hunter as he put an arm around him to grant additional warmth.  After all, they were both human and in the same boat now.

                “You always did,” Mir laughed once, grateful for the heat.  It was even better when the other four drifted close too, more than happy to soak up what warmth they could.

                With a fire going and snow melting in a battered bowl near it, Mir finally told his story as the others clustered close, sharing what body heat they had.  Hyoyeon remained attached to his hip and Mika seemed glued stalwartly to the other side, but all listened intently.  It was to their credit that the Kims didn’t interrupt this time around, even if Mir could see their questioning frowns clear enough.  When he finished, silence reigned while the Kims exchanged uncertain looks.  It was obvious they didn’t quite know what to think…

                “Maybe what he showed me was a dream and maybe it was a lie, but what if there’s even the smallest chance that part of it was true?” Mir asked when no one else said anything, feeling strange and lost now that everything was out in the open.

                “That’s… terrible,” Ricky spoke first, holding tight to Aron’s hand as if he needed someone there to help make it not so bad.

                With a disgusted look on his face, as if he’d tasted or smelled something loathsome, Key muttered, “It kind of makes sense though.”

                “Just because we’re as fast as those bloodsuckers are doesn’t necessarily mean we got our powers from one,” Jaejoong tried to defend, but his voice lacked its usual conviction and it was obvious he was mostly trying to convince himself.

                “You gotta admit, that would be one hell of a coincidence,” Mika shrugged, squeezing Mir’s shoulder in a comforting gesture.

                “The Parks being as strong as the wolves,” Heechul glanced at Hyoyeon, who whined and wagged her tail quickly.  Then he moved his eyes to Mir, “And the Bangs being as tricky as gypsies?”

                “Yeah,” Mika nodded slowly, exhaling with a gust of pluming air.

                “Ugh.  Stupid,” Key grumbled while rubbing at his face.  No one knew if he meant Mir, himself, or something else.  By his expression, they would have bet money he didn’t know either.

                But Minhyun placed his hand on Key’s forearm and offered a hesitant smile.  “Even if it is true, it’s not like you were responsible.”

                Key winced and his shoulders dropped as he shook his head.  “No.  But it still doesn’t make it right.  Argh!” he hit his knee with his fist, wincing when it hurt more than he expected.

                Heechul placed his hand atop Key’s fist and squeezed tight.  “It just means that we have more to think about right now,” he whispered, petting his youngest brother’s straight, black hair in a familiar gesture.  “One thing at a time,” he nodded, finally meeting Mir’s gaze again with a resolute finality.  “What did you find out about the smoke?” he inquired, pushing the concern of their history to the back of his mind for the time being.  A quick glance around the group told him they were struggling and he’d be lying if he said he wasn’t too.

                Mir’s face brightened considerably and a weary but genuine smile appeared.  “There’s a settlement nearby.”  Ricky, Aron, and Minhyun reacted with varying degrees of trepidation and hope: people could be dangerous but they all wanted some sort of stability and shelter.  “It’s small and I didn’t see who all was in it, but there are people there.”

                “One of those plant things too though,” Mika had to add with a cringe, waiting for the backlash he expected.  Surprisingly, it didn’t come.

                The Kim brothers exchanged thoughtful looks and shrugged, just the barest raises of their shoulders.  “I don’t like em, but it didn’t kill me,” Heechul grumbled, his face displeased.

                “And you came out alright after running into one.  Mostly,” Jaejoong scoffed with a roll of his eyes and a hand gesture towards Mir.

                Key nodded in agreement with a sigh as his gaze drifted to Minhyun who still had a hand on his arm and a hopeful look in his eyes.  “It might be a good chance to figure out what’s going on with these things.  And maybe they have-”

                “Food?” Ricky asked hopefully, his pinched face looking around for confirmation.

                “Food, shelter, information.  All of those things,” Mir nodded along.  “It can’t hurt to try.  And if those things are around, so long as we don’t start fighting or anything, we should be good.”  His sidelong look at the Kims showed them just how likely he thought that would be.

                “Can’t make any promises,” Jaejoong shook his head with a gleam in his eye, half-jesting and half-serious.

                “Jae…” Heechul warned with a similar glance out of the corner of his eye.

                “You’re no better than I am, Chullie,” the middle brother taunted back, wrinkling his nose with characteristic sass.

                “Brat.”

                “.”

                “Idiots,” Key scoffed before reaching down to retrieve the melted snow so they could all share a sip.  “Come on then,” he urged, cooling it off in the icy slush first before he passed it around.  “If we don’t hurry, Mir might freeze his off out here,” he teased with a slightly forced grin.

                “Not that he has much of one to lose,” Jaejoong couldn’t help but add mischievously.

                “Hey!” Mir complained with an offended but amused laugh.  “My is better than yours,” he stuck his tongue out as he stood up.

                “As if,” the Kim brother snorted, drifting close to help Heechul, the action awkward but sincere.

                “Hey, hey, hey!” Heechul interrupted, waving quickly with his hands.  “If anyone here has the nice , it’s me.”  He preened with pride, a sly smile on his face while he jabbed his chest with his thumb.

                “Chullie,” Key and Jaejoong groaned, shaking their heads as they flanked their sibling protectively with the humans joining into the mix shortly after.

                Mir kicked the fire out quickly and then hurried with Mika and Hyoyeon to reach the front of the line again, ready to lead them to what he hoped was a place of salvation.  He knew their banter was somewhat forced but it was better than trying to think about them and being Hunters; better than trying to worry about the things that could turn them into humans; better than worrying about what the night would hold and if they would freeze to death if they didn’t find shelter.  And for Mir especially, it was all better than trying to think about Minsoo and what had happened to his brother in the meantime.

                Almost miraculously, the shelter Satoru had offered proved to be just that: a haven for them to rest.  They were greeted cautiously, as any stranger rightfully would, but with Hyoyeon’s presence – the intelligent wolf was known and recognized by them – and the backing of the Guardian that housed Satoru, the group was eased into the fold of what equated to village life.

                Electricity didn’t much exist beyond what few generators had been salvaged and those were generally relegated to what was considered the healing den where the sick and wounded could go: that included Heechul with his frostbitten fingers.  Otherwise, lanterns, torches, and constant fires gave them light during the evening.  With the strict instructions not to cause trouble, as all newcomers were told, the group was also given clothing, simple food (leftover stores of bulk goods they’d managed to hoard and a veritable truck load of MREs), and basic roles to fulfill so long as they stayed there.

                The humans fell in well enough with Ricky and Aron in particular taking to the others like fish to water.  Minhyun sort of drifted on the outskirts, torn between wanting to be closer to the Hunters or the other humans.  Granted, they seemed equally ill at ease: without their original purpose – to counter and control the vampires and werewolves of the world, they all felt lost.

                Unfortunately for Mir, with the newfound solace of their shelter – even given the distractions of their new roles, it also left much room for him to think.  And wander his mind did to the rest of his family: his wife and children on another continent.  And more relevantly here: Minsoo.  Where was he?  How was he?  And how in the world would he ever manage to get in touch with any of them?  Mika did his best to keep the former hunter distracted, as did Hyoyeon when she wasn’t running around in the snow outside, doing whatever it was she did, but it gnawed at Mir like an itch he couldn’t scratch.

                As it was, he was saved from himself when Satoru sought him out on the second evening they’d been there.  The lumbering Guardian approached on relatively quiet feet, though he was obvious to see, even in the dim lighting.  Mir waited when the giant stopped and opened up, allowing Satoru to step out so they could speak face to face.  “Can I help you?” he asked the strange man, still uneasy around him after what had happened previously.

                “No,” Satoru shook his head with a gentle smile, the answer annoying Mir.  “But I may be able to help you,” he nodded his head in acknowledgement, the announcement automatically piquing Mir’s interest.

                “How…?” he hedged cautiously.  The last time he’d gotten ‘help’ from him, Mir had lost his powers.  Yes, that had been his fault but still.

                “Hyoyeon tells me you are worried about your family,” he nodded towards the tawny wolf who stopped running around the feet of the villagers as they went about their evening activities.  At the sound of her name, she tilted her ears their direction and bounded over, practically smiling with her tongue lolling out as she did so.

                “Hyoyeon talks too much,” Mir laughed once, smiling harder when she just wagged her tail at him.

                Satoru inclined his head in agreement and went on instead.  “The Guardians speak of a… conversation taking place.  A meeting of minds and an understanding of sorts not that far from here.  Relatively speaking,” he added with a gesture of his hand.  “As it is still in process, I don’t understand all of it, but many names have arisen in this conversation.”  He paused to see Mir’s reaction, noting that the former Hunter was practically holding his breath.  “Bang Minsoo is one such name.  A Hunter in their midst,” Satoru smiled, clasping his hands politely in front of him.

                “Minsoo?” Mir gasped, a feeling of relief and uncertainty spreading through him.  He took a step closer to the other man, nearly trembling with this new information.  “Is he alright?  Do they know?  Where is he?  How can I get to him?” he rambled in a series of questions that made Satoru chuckled with a raised hand.

                “I do not know his condition beyond alive, but several Guardians are on their way now.  One has asked for help and many have answered,” he nodded with a small bow.

                “How do I-”

                “There is a Guardian passing by here soon actually.  You may ride with it if you wish,” Satoru interrupted the question before he could finish.  “Hyoyeon can help you,” he added with a glance at the wolf who danced in place with a happy yip.

                “Of course!” Mir exclaimed, briefly glued in place as he was torn on which direction to go first.

                “Your shelter is that way,” Satoru pointed with a bemused smile.

                “Right!” Mir gasped, rushing off without another word so that he could grab a pack, snag some food and water, and let the others know he was leaving.  Only Heechul was easy to find, already working his way into ‘leading’ the people into doing more than they were before.  Jaejoong and Key spent more time out and about, using their skills to greater advantage and otherwise avoiding the Guardians around.  The eldest Kim brother was easy enough to convince, and he promised to let the others know.

                Mir was a little bit sad that he didn’t happen to catch sight of Mika around – the other man had been a constant companion and what he’d now call friend, but the urge to go was too strong.  And Hyoyeon was ready when he was.  So bag in hand, Mir rushed back out into the frigid air, bundled in as many clothes as he’d been given with his breath frosting in front of him.

                New people waved at him as he rushed into the surrounding woods, following the golden wolf into the growing darkness.  It was creepy for sure but with Hyoyeon in front and the Guardians around, it took the worst of the fear off.  Fear in itself was a strange sensation, but he found he’d been feeling it more since he’d become human.  And he tired fast.  Damn.

                A wry smile twisted his mouth when his legs burned and the air froze his lungs uncomfortably.  It forced him to slow down just enough to try and catch him breath.  Which was when he heard someone yelling at him from behind.  Pausing entirely, Mir looked over his shoulder and squinted, frowning at the reduced vision again.  But it wouldn’t have taken a genius to figure out who was coming after him.

                “Hey!  Mir!  Wait up dammit!” Mika yelled as he trudged through the snow quickly, wearing just as many layers but without the pack.

                “Hey, Mika,” the former Hunter smiled and waved, shaking his head.

                “How dare you try to leave me with the Kims.  ,” the other man grumbled good-naturedly.

                “I figured you could handle yourself,” Mir teased as he turned to start following Hyoyeon again.

                “Uh huh,” Mika snorted, falling into step beside him easily, more used to the human condition.  “So where are we going?” he asked, frowning when they both saw movement ahead: another Guardian trudging by.  It paused when Hyoyeon yipped at it, sprinting ahead to apparently communicate.

                “We?” Mir questioned, eyes crinkling in bemused delight.

                “Yes we,” Mika shoved his shoulder with an uncertain look at the Guardian.  “We’ve come this far together.  Might as well see it out,” he shrugged with a light laugh.  “Besides, I owe you anyway.”  At Mir’s raised brow, he just smiled and asked again, “So where?”

                “To my brother,” Mir grinned with a hurried step towards Hyoyeon when she came bounding back, all energy and enthusiasm.

                “Really?” the other man blinked, following more hesitantly.  “The one with all the vampires and werewolves and stuff?” he added hesitantly.

                “Yep,” the former Hunter nodded without looking back as he approached the Guardian.  He was hesitant when a vine reached down to pick him up, but when he was gently deposited on top, he had to admit it would be faster than him walking.  And more comfortable.  “Still coming?” he wondered when the other man was still where he’d left him, a furrowed brow on his face.

                “I guess I am,” he eventually huffed, jogging to catch up when it seemed as if the Guardian might start walking without him.  “I suppose they might have forgotten about me by now,” he forced a laugh and his lips.

                “Not a chance,” Mir teased mischievously as he slapped Mika’s knee when the other man was settled behind him with space enough between the two to be comfortable.

                “Real helpful, Mir.  Real helpful,” Mika muttered dryly, his arms crossed over his chest.

                “I know,” the other man chuckled, a twinkle in his eye as he glanced back.  “Alright Hyoyeon!  Let’s go find Minsoo!” he called out, smacking the Guardian’s surface with a quick hand.  A second of uncertainty made him wonder if he shouldn’t have done that but then it was moving again and he had to worry more about the cold wind chill biting at his face.

                God it being a human sometimes.

 

(a/n: I acknowledge this chapter wasn't exactly needed but I wanted to show the interaction with the Kims and give a glimpse of the people outside of our groups, as well as the civilization in some parts that they are trying to rebuild.  Not to mention it was just fun showing them bickering and whatnot.  hehe  We'll be getting back to the core group next.  ;)  Thank you!)