Finding a Home

It Begins With Blood

(a/n: Super long chapter ahead!  I had a lot of ground to cover.  haha)

 

                Escaping the base was no easy feat.  Under the savagery of silver ammunition, an already injured Minzy was gunned down helping to clear the way.  There was no time to mourn her loss or collect the body with human forces following after them, suppressed by Seungho and his team, but persistent in their assault.

                The stench of gun smoke and blood burned in Ryeowook’s nose and he clung to Kyuhyun while they stumbled along, ears bombarded by the sound of shots fired and a myriad of screams.  His voice might have joined them but he couldn’t hear it above the fear thrumming through his body.  He saw one of the Chas fall from the sky and gasped, gaining a glimmer of relief when he saw Himchan pick himself up to stumble along with a wounded Zhou, the pair supporting each other determinedly.  Hyosung continued to rain death from the sky, a burst of light betraying her position with each shot, but it blurred across the dark backdrop, evidence of her speed in the air.

                “Hurry!” Junsu roared from Karam’s back, head craning in every direction to try and keep tabs on everyone.

                Unexpected cries ahead gave them cause for concern until the group noticed several soldiers fall beneath another wolf’s frenzied attack, teeth and claws tearing them to shreds while their attention was elsewhere.  “This way!” Sunhwa urged in her garbled, monstrous voice, leading the group from the base as they followed a path of carnage and destruction to the outskirts of the establishment.

                Buildings and fences gave way to desert and sand, providing little cover but as long as they could keep moving, they’d be alright.  Doggedly, the party pushed on with as much speed as they could muster, nearly outdistancing the newest humans until Sungmin fell back to retrieve two of them, slinging Zico and Taeyang over his shoulders as they kept their guns trained on the back trail.  Seungho paused long enough to carry Soohyun on his back and the half-turned was at least able to keep up, though barely.

                Smoke and gunfire continued to emerge from the base, even as it fell away from their sight.  Still carrying their human charges Minhyuk and Minho on their backs, Jinki and Sungmin lingered near the rear to keep an eye on things, using their sharper sight to report on the happenings before the distance was too great.  “They’re trying to get things under control,” the former called to the retreating party, voice pitching to carry over the relatively clear ground.

                “It looks like they might be trying to get a party together but I’m not sure,” Sungmin added a second later, eyes narrowed and expression tense.

                “We’ll deal with it when it happens,” Junsu coughed, fingers clinging hard to Karam’s fur.

                “We need to get somewhere to look at the wounded!” Hyukjae called from Baekho’s mouth, the spirit lending his strength to the otherwise ordinary human as he carried Ken on his back, the injured male having been relieved from Dongho who was paired with a limping Kiseop.  Even injured, the vampire was still considerably faster than any human’s speed and they all needed to move as quickly as possible.

                “Why don’t we just head towards the other group?” Hyosung asked as she flew in, wings flapping overhead while she maintained her airborne position.

                “Oh!  I know the way!” Sunhwa urged, relatively unscathed from their combat and high on the battle rush.

                “Sunhwa!” Junsu snapped, growling at her enough to cow the overeager young woman.  She padded closer and at a quiet command, took over carrying Dongho and Ken, leaving the vampire and possessed unburdened.  “Karam.  Lead us back,” the alpha urged with a glance at the large wolf’s head, nodding once in encouragement.

                Karam huffed in understanding and hunched over further, putting on a burst of speed as he angled himself to swing around the base.  They’d come out on the wrong side but as long as they swung wide, they’d be able to get around and return to their companions relatively unnoticed.

                “We’re gonna be okay,” Ryeowook murmured, trying to reassure Kyuhyun as much as himself.  His body still ached from the fight earlier and the wounds Kyuhyun had inflicted on him.  He could only imagine how the other vampire felt having been burned out recently and was concerned by the semi-glassy look in his eyes.  “Kyu?” he called while they moved, a veritable wall of bodies around them as the group moved en masse.

                Dark eyes blinked slowly, a measure of focus returning when Kyuhyun finally looked down and conjured a wan smile for Ryeowook.  “I’m here,” he confirmed a second later, head tilting in a subtle nod.

                Palpable relief washed through Ryeowook then and he smiled back, letting the cloying fear fall away for at least a few moments.  “I’m glad.”  It was enough that they’d won free and were on their way back to the other group where his brother and Henry were with everyone else.  He refused to let himself dwell on their losses so far, Joon and Minzy, or the injuries the majority had suffered.  All he could do was tighten his hold on Kyuhyun and keeping moving, taking one step at a time.

                It was a thought that felt prominent among the others as well.  They clustered together like a wolf pack, though their collection was anything but uniform.  And no one spoke, save for Junsu who called out for reports from those around him.  Sunhwa confirmed that she’d sabotaged the jets on the base so air support shouldn’t be able to follow them.  The wolf had been separated from the pack and instead of fighting through the forces to get into the main base, she’d simply peeled off to do her own damage elsewhere, with surprisingly good results.

                Jinki and Sungmin confirmed there was no immediate pursuit but their trail would be easy to follow, unfortunately.

                “That’s alright.  We won’t be in one place long enough for them to find us,” Junsu comforted, though the vampires were well aware his gaze touched upon them in some concern.

                Of all the members, they were most vulnerable to travel, limited to the dark hours when the sun wasn’t present.  All of them felt it and they simply pressed onward, content to worry about the problem when it became necessary.  A quick check with Baekho confirmed that Ken had yet to wake up and Yukwon was just as bad off.  Himchan’s wing had been savaged by bullets though Hyosung assured him it may yet heal.  Junsu was the worst among the wolves, except for Thunder, and all nursed some degree of injury.  It was nauseating but the smell of burnt flesh and hair followed them extensively, coming strongest from the wolves though no one complained.  Except the new guys who didn’t seem to understand their predicament just yet.

                Seungho silenced them as they ran, keeping his own counsel and Ryeowook could feel for him, knowing some of what he was experiencing.  Transitioning into the new life wasn’t easy and it looked like Seungho didn’t have someone like Kyuhyun or even Himchan around to help explain things for him.  Quite frankly, he was amazed by what they’d accomplished so far, given the forces against them all.  But, there was nothing to do other than go forward regardless.

                He smelled the other group long before Ryeowook caught sight of their hiding location, the shift in wind carrying an overwhelming smell of humans and wounded.  “JR,” he whispered, eyes widening when he tried to pick his brother out of the array.

                Taekwoon stood up from the top of the rock, missing arm obvious even in the dark, and he turned to call back on the other side of the place, rousing the rest of the party.  The wolves gave a low, greeting howl, their voices reduced but joyous at the reunion.  Even Taekwoon leaned his head back to join them, an unusual smile on his face.

                As soon as Ryeowook saw his brother come around the boulder hiding them, he pulled away from Kyuhyun and ran to the younger male.  “JR!” he gasped.

                “Wookie!” the younger boy shouted, eyes widening in surprise before hugging his sibling tight and trembling with relief.  “I was afraid you wouldn’t come back,” he admitted in a thick voice, tears already beginning to fall.

                “Of course I would,” Ryeowook swallowed hard, cupping the back of JR’s head as he savored their reunion.  “I could never leave you,” he assured his brother, pulling back enough to grab JR’s face in both hands and look him in the eye.  “Are you alright?  You’re not hurt are you?” he went on, looking his brother over quickly.

                “No, no.  I’m fine,” JR shook his head, smiling as the tears continued to fall.

                Movement over his brother’s shoulder alerted him to someone else coming up and Ryeowook beamed, “Henry!”

                The wolf-kin smiled and rushed over to join them, hugging the pair eagerly.  “I’m glad you made it back,” he whispered, arms clenched almost painfully tight around JR and Ryeowook.  “It looks like some of the others weren’t so lucky.”

                “No,” Ryeowook admitted after a long moment while he listened to the other parties around him.  Baekho, back in control again, was sobbing against Daesung, the memory of the trek back lost to him.  And it wasn’t long before the wolves sent a mourning howl to the air for Joon in particular.  “Kyu?” he called when he finally realized the other vampire wasn’t at his side as he expected him to be.

                Instead, he was hunched in on himself off to the side, looking somewhat unsure and lost while activity shifted around him.  “I’m here,” he assured the younger vampire, taking a hesitant step closer with a glance at JR first.

                “Come here,” Ryeowook urged, extending his arm so that Kyuhyun could come into the circle of it, the slender limb wrapping around his waist and holding him tight.  Almost immediately, he felt the elder vampire relax, regaining a measure of security and confidence he’d been lacking.  “He helped keep me safe,” he told JR in particular, holding his brother’s gaze when the younger male frowned at the vampire.  He pointedly left out the part where Kyuhyun had also attacked him.  It didn’t concern JR anyway.  “He also helped us get information we needed to try and keep us safe.  To keep you safe,” he insisted determinedly, chewing his bottom lip when JR appeared reluctant to listen.  “We’re in this together now.  Okay?” he asked, reaching up to brush his fingers against JR’s face entreatingly.

                JR held still and looked between Ryeowook and Kyuhyun, gaze flickering uncertainly.  He shifted in place and looked to Henry as if for support.  The wolf-kin shrugged with a partial smile and nodded back towards the vampire, one brow raised in quiet inquiry.  “I still don’t like you,” JR began hesitantly, glancing up at Kyuhyun from under flickering lashes.

                The vampire nodded his head in understanding, the ghost of a smirk on his lips.  “That’s fair.”

                “But… thanks.  For keeping my brother safe,” he mumbled, not quite making eye contact, but neither did he pull away when Kyuhyun placed a careful hand on his shoulder, squeezing once.

                “Kangin would approve,” he commented solemnly.  When JR looked up at the name, a curious and hopeful look in his eye, Kyuhyun went on.  “He’s alive and with any luck, he’ll get my message to meet us.”

                “Where are we going?” Henry asked immediately, fixating on the vampire.

                “The coast,” Ryeowook supplied.  “With what we think is coming, it’s probably the safest place right now,” he added with a long look at Kyuhyun, feeling nerves settle in his belly at the prospect.

                “So what’s the plan now then?” JR asked, glancing between the two vampires, just as nervous as the others.

                Kyuhyun looked towards where Junsu was, drawing everyone else’s attention.  Unfortunately, the alpha had finally given up the fight with his injuries and was currently unconscious with a frantic Daesung working on him.  Actually, it was probably Donghae at the helm but it was basically the same thing.  He pursed his lips and frowned.  “We tend to the wounded.”  His gaze dropped to Ryeowook and he brushed apologetic fingertips near the recent injuries he’d inflicted.  “Then we need to get across the border.  Human troops won’t follow us there.  At least not from here,” he amended with a thoughtful frown.

                “How far is that?” JR asked, unable to see the extent of his brother’s injuries.  The half moon light barely allowed him to make out the faces.

                “Not far at all,” Kyuhyun smiled, a true one this time while he pointed to the south.  “Not far at all.”

                Ryeowook cupped his brother’s face in his hand one more time, offering a tender smile, before he nodded and urged them to move again.  They’d escaped lightly, but others needed tending to and there was much to be done before they could travel on.  And all of the returning party were more than aware of the potential attack that could come at any moment from the humans if they followed their trail.

                The supplies they’d ransacked from the base came in immensely handy and all the able bodied were drafted to help the wounded, using up most of the first aid items in mere moments.  Pain killers were dolled out to the humans and Donghae had his hands full with trying to remove bullets from some of the more sensitive areas, like Ken’s gut.  Suggestions and plans were tossed about in terms of moving the entire party since no one liked the idea of splitting up again.  There wasn’t enough material to make consistent covers for the vampires though so it was something they kept dancing around while trying to solve the other dilemma of how to move the severely wounded.

                Sulli couldn’t walk and Minsoo was little more than dead weight, though he could hold a gun well enough.  Sanghyuk was functional at best, while Jiyong and Jongup were recovering little by little, but neither could move at a decent speed and there was no way the humans could keep up to a pace satisfactory to the nonhumans.  The wolves and vampires were not content to be relegated to their speed either since it would be necessary to move fast.  They had a lot of ground to cover and none of them knew when the bombing would start.

                Eventually, it was agreed that the humans and the worst of the wounded would simply have to be carried somehow.  To Kyuhyun’s dismay, the rest of his truck was dismantled and ripped apart so as to provide additional supplies and tools for the others.  The seats were torn free and cobbled into three weird carrying frames for Sulli, Sanghyuk, and Junsu, all of whom would have to be strapped in to make sure they didn’t slide free.

                They very quickly realized there were more humans and wounded than the others could feasibly carry in a one to one ratio so other plans had to be made for transporting them all.  The truck was pared down to as bare bones as possible, leaving only the tire frame and the bed with the tailgate down and a rope across the back, giving extra space for as many as could fit. 

                Precious time was used to split the party into manageable groups beyond those who would ride in the back.  Without the opportunity to hunt, the wolves ate most of the foodstuffs they’d managed to collect from the base as well, and then resigned themselves to being work horses once more.  Sunhwa, Karam, and a scarred Sungmin, were volunteered to provide the supports to pull the modified sled.  It was when they were doling out roles that they realized Hyoyeon was still unaccounted for after she had volunteered to distract the humans.  No one had seen or heard from her and a long, questioning howl from the wolves brought no answering cry.

                There was very brief talk of sending a search party since Junsu was unconscious and unable to direct them otherwise, but the lack of response and the press of time led them all to unhappy conclusions.  Either she had already been killed, she was unconscious, or possibly too injured to respond.  Ryeowook felt her absence as an ache in the back of his throat.  She had been among the first werewolves to interact with him favorably and he could still remember her going with him to retrieve JR before they’d lost the trailer and before things had really started to fall apart.

                “Come on.  We need to get moving soon,” Kyuhyun reminded him with a gentle touch on his shoulder, fingertips reaching to brush against Ryeowook’s neck in a feather soft caress.

                “I know,” Ryeowook sniffed, ducking his head as he leaned into the contact, already tired of the fighting and the loss, whether it was confirmed or not.  And he knew if they didn’t get free soon enough, more deaths would follow and he didn’t want to see anyone else die.  He really didn’t.

                One good thing that happened was N came around as they were getting ready to move on.  The groggy vampire was barely cognizant and had a hard time focusing but he could at least understand what was going on.  Himchan spoke to him while Hyosung convinced one of the wolves to spare some blood, a measured quantity in a borrowed cup, so that he could at least begin to recover.

                And then it was time to start traveling.  While Sungmin, Karam, and Sunhwa settled into rope harnesses to pull, the humans and injured crammed themselves into the limited space.  The injured like Jiyong, Jongup, Ken, and Minsoo went first, gaining the greatest support from the solid part of the bed.  Daesung stationed himself in their midst to keep an eye on all of them while Baekho, Hana, Jieun, and Amber managed to squeeze into the space just before the dropped tail gate.  Minho, Minhyuk, and Dongho volunteered to sit at the end, a rope against their bellies and assault rifles in their hands to watch the back trail.

                Jinki, Himchan, and Hyosung were requested to take the three most injured wolves on their backs, carrying them in the strange seating arrangement for the time being.  Junsu was mercifully unconscious but Sulli and Sanghyuk did not appear thrilled about it in the least.  As for the rest, it was up to the vampires and Luna to carry the rest.  Taeyang, Zico, and Soohyun all volunteered to sit on the secured tool box tied into place where the truck engine used to be, foregoing supports to opt out of being carried for the time being.  They too held assault rifles in their hands to keep an eye out, suspicious gazes trained on the surrounding area.

                Ryeowook was both pleased and concerned that he had the opportunity to carry his brother.  When the sun rose, he didn’t know what they would do, but it was good enough to be able to hold him close and feel his weight on his back.  Seungho was relegated to carrying supplies, since he wasn’t trusted enough for anyone to allow him to carry them, but that seemed fine by him.  Henry grudgingly agreed to go with Kyuhyun, while Luna carried a groggy and grumpy Thunder, his injuries becoming bothersome.  It was no surprise that everyone was tired, but Jihoon only put up a slight grumble when Zhou ended up carrying him, as did Ren when a still injured but functional Sungmin took him.  Kiseop determinedly took N, the pair an awkward mess but at least neither would be tempted to bite the other.

                By the time it was all settled, only Taekwoon, who was well enough to walk along the side of the sled, and Jinki were unburned by additional humans.  Along with Seungho, they simply carried the rest of the supplies that they could and it was time to go.

                “We’ve got a couple hours of nightfall left,” Kyuhyun explained with a glance at the sky, taking a tentative and hesitant leadership role he obviously did not want.  “Our first goal is to cross the border.  It’s only a few miles to the south.  Once there, it is my belief we should head for the coast.”

                “Why?” Sanghyuk asked in a tense voice, still trying to toe the line as alpha, though he was hardly fit to lead or even walk for that matter.  They all knew they had to get out of the states, but the next step was still a point of contention.

                “Because of the information he found in the base,” Luna backed him surprisingly, meeting gazes with the young alpha.  “If Junsu was awake, he would say as much,” she added, bowing her head and submitting before her words could get her into more trouble.  Just as quickly, Sungmin and Karam turned to look at her, ready to go to her side in support if need be.

                Sanghyuk took that in and looked at the rest of the exhausted party.  Arguing about it would do them no good.  “We can make a decision when we stop next,” he conceded instead, nodding at the werewolves who were pulling the sled.  They subsided at his words and Ryeowook released the mental breath he’d been holding.  Injuries made everyone finicky.

                Like a bloated snake, their caravan finally started moving with Kyuhyun and Ryeowook at the front, the former leading and the latter giving quiet support.  They weren’t as good as the Shims for keeping watch but Jinki and Sungmin were otherwise busy and looking out for the sides.  Overall, their party was well established enough with all the people they had to rely on for warning.

                Kyuhyun and Ryeowook knew when they reached the border by the fence rising up to greet them, only they weren’t the first to have come through.  The section directly in front of them was whole but just up the way, a tear in the barrier existed, proof that someone else had already gotten past the fence.  It wasn’t large enough for their party but with a little helpful adjusting, they were able to pass by just fine, though Ryeowook felt the hair on the back of his neck standing on end, the sensation of breaking the law still prevalent even though it hardly applied to him anymore.

                He caught Kyuhyun smirking at him when the look on his face must have said as much, and frowned back, rolling his eyes at the elder vampire.  Kyuhyun didn’t take offense and pressed on, driving them quickly beyond the barrier as they sought a safe zone to rest in.  The first hurdle had been passed with almost deceptive ease.  Ryeowook hardly dared to believe it was really happening, though after the last few days they’d experienced, he was willing to accept a little good luck.

                That didn’t mean none of them stopped being watchful, or that deciding where to go after was an easy choice.  Almost an hour of hard travel, as far as Kyuhyun could tell, found them a small embankment to rest within while they began discussing the next direction.

                The wolves were all for making their way to the Gulf coast, a closer and easier trek which meant they’d be safer sooner.  Kyuhyun, and subsequently the rest of the vampires, were leaning for the California Gulf coast, where they would have to go over mountains to reach his destination.

                “We’ll never make the journey with everyone wounded.”

                “It’s too far and something is bound to happen!”

                Arguments against travel arose to try and sway the humans to either side.  Further supporters for the mountains tried other tactics.  “But to the west, we’d have more cover and more opportunity to find sufficient hiding places.”

                “I told Kangin that is where I intend to meet him,” Kyuhyun finally spoke up when he’d listened to the others argue long enough.  He met Ryeowook’s eyes, seeking his hand for reassurance when the tide stirred against him.  “So that’s where I’m going,” he added, raising his gaze to look around the rest of the party.

                Ryeowook looked at his brother and saw the uncertainty in his eyes, but he held Kyuhyun’s hand and added his voice, “Where we’re going.”  There was a quiet question in the words and JR frowned at him, looking between the two vampires, but he didn’t argue.

                “That’s where we’ll go too,” Hyosung confirmed, gathering around Kyuhyun as Himchan lingered nearby in turn.  “We need cover now more than ever,” she admitted tightly, her fingers intertwined with Himchan’s.  Though the words were meant for the vampires in particular, none could deny it applied to all of them.

                “I prefer the mountains,” Karam spoke up while he looked at his hands, fingers playing with each other nervously.

                “Me too,” Sungmin agreed as he pulled his sibling against his side.

                “I can’t say I like the idea of being so exposed either,” Minhyuk added while he scratched the side of his head, giving an apologetic look towards Sanghyuk who didn’t exactly seem disappointed by the shift.

                “Are we decided then?” Sanghyuk exhaled softly, looking around the circle and waiting for anyone to speak out.  There was unease prevalent and no one looked completely satisfied, but neither did dissent begin among them.  “West it is,” he nodded as he focused on Kyuhyun, meeting the vampire’s gaze.  “I hope you know what you’re doing.”

                “Me too,” Kyuhyun whispered loud enough for Ryeowook to hear him when the alpha turned away.

                Their first day of travel didn’t give them much time to go very far and they were left with only a minimal amount of nightfall to decide how they should proceed as a group.  The vampires couldn’t travel during the day and there was nothing that would hide them sufficiently.  Eventually, they all agreed to repeat being buried alive while the rest of the party continued on without them.

                “We can catch up to you during the night and with the Shims, there’s no chance we’ll lose your trail,” Kyuhyun reasoned with a nod towards Jinki and Sungmin who agreed in tandem.

                “And we can stop during the later part of the day and rest while you make up lost ground?” Seungho suggested with a thoughtful frown.

                “Yes,” Kyuhyun confirmed.  “We’ll find our own food on the way.”  Ryeowook glanced at him curiously, but he was more conscious of JR hedging close to him, clearly unhappy with the plan.  He hadn’t been originally anyway and this was no better, except they weren’t intentionally going into a dangerous situation.

                “I hate to suggest it, but if there are any small towns along the way, we can probably get supplies and stuff from them.  Especially fresh, clean water,” Soohyun shrugged, looking towards his companions as they fell back on more tactical thoughts.

                “We may have to,” Sanghyuk admitted dejectedly when the reality of their situation continued to press in on him.  They had no food that would last them more than a day at most and some of them were taking infinitely longer to heal than others, himself included.

                “Okay wolves,” Kyuhyun sighed with a wave towards the ones that had helped them earlier.  “Looks like we’ll need some holes again.”

                Ryeowook was not happy about that, especially since they didn’t have the shields from the time before.  They were literally going to be buried under the ground and he shivered at the thought.  That wasn’t too bad in comparison to leaving his brother alone again and no amount of self-reassurance could tell him it would be alright.  Unfortunately, they didn’t have a choice unless they wanted to crawl across Mexico.  It was risk they were willing to take, though not without great hesitation.

                Over a matter of weeks, their party raggedly made a series of leap frog jumps across approximately three hundred miles of land.  Ryeowook did not get used to being buried underground, but he accepted it in time.  With a shirt over their heads to keep the dirt from getting in their eyes, it was more than cozy and the press of soil from above would have been suffocating but they could still talk and that was about the only thing to do to pass the time.  At least after a couple days of rest anyway.  And being confined with Kyuhyun gave him a rather uninterrupted view of the vampire’s current state of mind.

                The short out affected him worse than the vampire had let on.  He would zone for long moments at a time underground, leaving Ryeowook to his own thoughts, which were never good during those times.  And at other moments, it seemed that he would lapse into a past memory, speaking to Ryeowook as if he was Shane, Hyorin, Erin, and a few other names he was unfamiliar with.  He only knew the first three were people he apparently resembled because Changmin had said as much the first time he’d met him.  Little by little, and with Ryeowook’s continued presence, he did get better over time, remembering him more often day by day.

                And while their sessions underground were hard enough to endure, salvageable only because of the moments of comfort they were able to find in each other’s arms, Ryeowook was unprepared for Kyuhyun’s answer of food as they traveled.  He found himself doing things he never thought he would: like attacking unsuspecting humans with his vampire kin.  They were not murderers by any means but he would never enjoy the feeling of subduing another person to feed from them, feeling their racing heart pound in his ears before they fell under the effects of being his food.  In fact, he both loathed and prided himself on his ability to go there at all.

                If they happened to make the attack where they could get supplies for the others, they did, loading up on canned goods and whatever else they could steal from houses or stores.  When guns were set against them, usually just some owner trying to protect their goods, they stole those too, and the ammunition that went with them.  Antibiotics, medicine, and water were high on their list and even as they were able to maintain their health, each time they reached the group again, it seemed as if they’d lost more of themselves.

                The trek was hard on all of them, not the least of which were the werewolves.  Bearing the brunt of the heavy work, their muscled forms winnowed down to whipcord strength and not an ounce of extra flesh between them.  Not that the humans were much better off.  Limited food and hard traveling made them all lean and the only ones that seemed marginally used to the pace were the former soldiers.  They had to avoid the occasional patrol on the ground or hide from a helicopter overhead, but overall, the party was able to avoid overt detection.

                When they hit the mountains, they had to lose the sled since it did not do well up rocky terrain and hilly slopes.  Their progress slowed down but most traces of civilization fell away.  Hunting was scarce though the vampires could at least travel with them in some places, where shade allowed them to walk in the company of the others during the day.  For just a couple days, they settled down to catch their breath, hiding in a system of caves they had to chase a bear out of, giving the wolves and humans a chance to eat well that night.  It also allowed them to get better prepared for the colder nights.  Higher elevations brought harsher temperatures and the humans didn't fair half as well under those conditions, huddling together for warmth the majority of the time.

                Ken and Yukwon in particular needed the rest as their wounds had become infected, though Donghae was doing his best to keep it under control.  When he came back to himself, Daesung was confused on a daily basis, missing entire chunks of time when they traveled, which only seemed to upset Baekho more.  And they were all just tired, even the vampires.  Speed was their strength but it took a lot of energy to keep catching up and then moving on like they did.

                On the bright side, the wolves were also starting to recover and while Thunder was commanded not to carry anything, he could pad alongside them in wolf form without much trouble.  Sanghyuk and Junsu were becoming mobile again, as was Minsoo, and Taekwoon was almost back to a semblance of full strength.  The vampires healed up nicely, though N was ground bound and grumpy about it.  Himchan’s wing had healed so he could still fly and Kiseop’s too.  Eventually, Ken came around and it was deemed safe enough to keep moving Yukwon so long as he was carried.

                And finally, after nearly a month of traveling, their ragtag group of survivors could smell the salt water in the air.  It didn’t take long after that before they saw the coast open before them, expanding across the horizon while the waning moon danced on its surface.

                “We made it,” Ryeowook gasped with his gaze riveted on the water, one hand holding tightly to Kyuhyun’s and the other wrapped around JR’s.

                “It’s beautiful,” JR whispered, swallowing audibly.

                Sanghyuk and a still sore Junsu walked up to pause beside their group, inspecting the view for themselves.  “We’ll stay here tonight.  We could use the rest,” the latter commented.

                “The Chas should take a quick look from the air before it gets light,” Kyuhyun murmured as he gestured towards the clustered vampires who seemed about ready to do just that.  “Your wolves can confirm in the morning.”

                “Or we can go tonight too and take a human party in the morning,” Sanghyuk suggested instead, clearly itching to do something himself.  He was mostly healed, though like the majority of the wolves, he’d suffered extensive scarring that would not soon heal, if ever.

                “That’s a better idea,” Ryeowook nodded as he squeezed JR’s hand.  “We’ve gotta make sure we can all make a life down there for at least a little while.”

                “Yeah.  And I think there’s a city nearby that might have access to some technology we could really benefit by getting our hands on,” Kyuhyun grinned, looking between the people.

                “One step at a time, blood er,” Junsu chuckled dryly, shaking his head as he turned around to try and pull some scouts together.

                “I am,” he retorted as the alpha stepped way.  “But that doesn’t mean I can’t plan for three or four more,” he added with quiet determination.

                Ryeowook smiled at the admission and breathed a small sigh of relief.  It was the best sign he’d seen yet that Kyuhyun was finally recovering from the mental short out besides longer periods of time where he unerringly recognized Ryeowook for himself.  “Definitely,” he smiled, reaching out to hug the elder vampire around the waist with one arm, still keeping his contact on JR as well.

 

(a/n: So yeah!  They made their destination!  I wanted to get to the other group but that'll have to wait for the next update.  I can tentatively promise a reunion of sorts and more stuff to come but like our group has to do, one step at a time!  I managed to sneak a little bit of KyuWook in there.  Nothing overt I know, but these are pressing times.  :/  Thank you for sticking with me though and I hope you look forward to the next update!)