Thank You

It Begins With Blood

                While Ryeowook had absolutely no doubt about Kyuhyun’s sincerity, at first, there really wasn’t much change at all, despite the widespread effects of the attacks.  The first full day after the attack on the plants, and Chicago, had all four of them stuck inside except for when JR had to step out to use the restroom.  Of course, the vampires were reluctant to allow it, since humans were, at best, unpredictable, but Ryeowook gave his assurance he would watch over him.  Besides, he had to go too…

                It felt almost like betraying his brother in keeping an eye on him though.  He honestly didn’t think JR would run off, especially since neither of them knew where they were, but even he didn’t know that anymore.  Not after everything that had changed between them.  Tensions were still high and the boy that had once adored him, now treated him with a wariness Ryeowook couldn’t fault him for.  For the moment, JR severely disliked, if not downright hated, all nonhumans for what had happened and what they’d brought about.  Ryeowook would have felt the same except… he wasn’t fully human himself.

                As best he could, he tried to give his brother space and make himself available for anything the younger male might need.  They both needed some sort of actual food since their stores were running low and, early on, it wasn’t problematic.  Running through a drive thru for food at night wasn’t hard and Ryeowook could go with JR into stores during the day to help him get other supplies while they were out.  Even then though, he could practically see his brother’s desire to say something.  To call out and let someone know the horror that he traveled with and place blame upon somebody.

                Ryeowook bore the silent accusation mutely, feeling guiltier all the time for his presence which kept the younger boy from reaching out.  JR knew his brother wouldn’t hurt him intentionally, but their loyalties were blurred now.  It galled Ryeowook but he did his best to accept the reality that was his now.  He focused on his brother and tried to put JR’s happiness and comfort before his own.  In the rush to escape, like himself, JR had not been able to take anything with him and only had his wallet because it had been in his pocket when the attacks started.  He’d lost his phone since he’d been charging it at the time and as such, was just as adrift as the half-turned.

                In turn, Ryeowook resented Kyuhyun’s perpetual concern about not being caught and always being careful, which he was anyway.  After having first hand experience with Hunters and werewolves himself, he knew the merit in not being discovered.  The vampire was especially frustrated when he wasn’t able to go with the half-turned, but Ryeowook appreciated the fact Kyuhyun trusted him enough to at least go out with his brother so they could both enjoy the sunlight, and the world before it started to tear itself apart.

                The faces of the people they saw were strained and worried though.  There was a general sense of panic in the air, and while no one had officially called the alarm, everyone was worried.  The only concession Ryeowook was able to grant his brother was a call on a payphone in one of the smaller cities they stopped at so he could try to reach one of his best friends, just to make sure he was alright.

                “Please be vague, JR,” Ryeowook begged as he bounced on the balls of his feet while his younger brother tried to recall the number from memory, squared away in the tiny phone booth with see through windows on all sides.

                “Would you quit worrying,” his sibling snapped, brushing overly long black bangs out of his face in irritation.  Aside from bathing, personal hygiene wasn’t a particularly high concern on the list of day to day worries anymore and they all needed haircuts.  He tapped on the side of the phone machine, replaying the number in his head before he tried to dial it in.

                “Isn’t Baekho that odd kid you used to hang out with that lived on the outskirts of town?” Ryeowook asked, dredging his own memory, and surprising himself when it came back to him pretty quickly.  He was a tall kid, if young, with an oddly sweet face and a soft disposition.  Come to think of it, he vaguely reminded him of Kangin.

                “He’s not odd,” JR grumbled in response, turning his back on his brother as he shifted in place worriedly.  “Come on Baekho.  Pick up…” he murmured, glancing around the parking lot with worried eyes.

                “Okay.  I was just trying to remember,” Ryeowook spoke back, holding his hands up in surrender though his brother didn’t see it.

                JR suddenly stilled and looked back as he murmured, “Baekho?”

                Rather guiltily, Ryeowook listened in on their conversation though was relieved to hear that the younger boy was just happy to hear from JR and confirm that he was alright.  When the question of where he was came up, he waved both hands urgently in front of him so that JR wouldn’t try to give their location away.

                “With… friends,” he finally hedged, glaring at his older brother who sighed in obvious relief.  “I’m going to be gone for a while though.  Until things quiet down.”

                He couldn’t be sure, but Ryeowook thought he heard someone else over the phone too.  They were in the background and much harder to make out but that was probably his older brother.  What was his name?  Daesung maybe?  That was likely it.

                “Sorry man,” JR laughed with a forced sound, obviously glad to be speaking to someone other than the three he’d been stuck with.  “I lost my phone.  Don’t worry.  I’m working on it,” he assured the other when Baekho asked about his phone.

                Ryeowook didn’t miss the way that JR didn’t mention anything about their parents though.  Apparently, his friend didn’t either and he cringed when Baekho hesitantly asked about them.  JR’s silence was answer enough and it nearly broke Ryeowook’s heart to see the still too fresh pain there as tears threatened.  Almost immediately, Baekho tried to apologize and the half-turned watched while JR deftly pulled a falsely courageous mask in place and smiled anyway.

                “I’m alright.  It’s just… taking some getting to used to,” he added, turning watery eyes on his brother.

                It was ridiculously hard to not reach out and embrace his sibling so Ryeowook wiped at the tears on his own lashes and clasped his hands tightly together.  He hoped this call would end soon; he wasn’t sure how much more he could take.

                JR noticed his discomfit and closed his eyes with a nod, swallowing harshly.  “Hey Baekho.  I’m almost out of time but take care of yourself, ne?  And tell Daesung hyung I said hi.”  They both barely heard a response before he hung the phone up with a disheartening click, gripping onto the receiver tightly as he stared at the dial pad.  “Happy?” he muttered darkly, turning to walk away from the store and back to their trailer.

                Mutely, Ryeowook caught up and walked with him side by side.  He could carry him on his back faster but unless they were pressed for time, he knew his brother didn’t want that.  Looking at him in profile, watching the younger male pretend to be strong when he knew he was still breaking inside, left Ryeowook with only one answer.  No.  No, he was not happy.

                In all fairness, the vampires weren’t either though.  Neither missed the way that Kangin remained practically glued to the computer screen when they were stuck during the day.  Or how Kyuhyun could often be found reviewing it stoically during the night when they traveled.  The quiet conversations on the hidden phone in the back were difficult to miss and Ryeowook found himself listening in more and more anyway; especially when JR was sleeping.  It wasn’t like Kyuhyun banned him from it and it allowed him to give his brother just that much more to hold onto in a world that was starting to make less and less sense.

                They were always traveling too.  JR didn’t understand it and resented all of them, especially their ban on his using any sort of technology to try and communicate with the outside world.  Ryeowook knew exactly how he felt and it was strange and painful hearing some of the things he’d said to Kyuhyun being directed back at him.  From family no less.

                There were more days than Ryeowook liked to acknowledge that the brother he loved and cared for above all else screamed at him for the restrictive treatment.  ‘I hate you’ and ‘monster’ weren’t uncommon, but they only appeared on the days when he was most worn out… the most tired and frustrated and worried about everything.  Then again, he also noticed that more and more, Kyuhyun was the object of his brother’s frustration and not himself, so that gradually, JR started talking to Ryeowook again, almost like they had before things began to deteriorate.  Not quite, but it was close and far more acceptable than the alternative.

                Even Kangin seemed to become more tolerable in the eyes of the human.  Granted, the larger vampire was more of a softy than he ever let on and tended to tease JR whenever possible, but it wasn’t malicious, and it seemed to actually help the two get along.  Maybe there was more of a resemblance to Baekho than he’d thought.  And as for Ryeowook and Kyuhyun…  Well, they existed and exchanged glances across the room, but didn’t talk much.  The vampire would lay a quiet hand on the half-turned’s shoulder here and there, murmuring some comment or other, but they didn’t interact like they used to and Kyuhyun stopped… hovering.  Ryeowook honestly didn’t know what to think anymore.

                The vampire was fallible and it was clear he was worried in the way he focused so intently on everything that came through the news.  He would check and recheck their location against the latest attacks, making sure they were as far from destruction as possible at any given time.  Ryeowook knew he spoke to N and even Victoria frequently, touching base as they relayed information.  He even overheard him speaking to someone named Changmin a time or two.  None of it was reassuring and, all the time, the news was just getting worse.  They now had a running tally of dead on the nonhuman side and that was just the beginning.  For the humans, the death toll had finally risen to the millions across the world and it didn’t seem to be slowing.

                Their little group stayed in the country as much as possible.  Larger cities were generally dangerous for various reasons and they never knew if one they stayed at would be targeted or not.  It was just safer not to be around humans if they could help it, never mind they all needed food.  A matter of weeks passed by in what felt like months with a strange truce and friendship eventually solidifying between the four.  Outside, the civilized world continued to deteriorate at an ever increasing pace and they all knew it was only a matter of time before they would have to stop hiding... to stop running... and actually join the madness themselves.

                 Finally though, even with the closeness he’d recaptured with his brother, and everything else that was going on in the world, Ryeowook was tired of the strange tension between him and Kyuhyun.  He didn’t like it.  It felt wrong.

                To spread out and give him a chance to see the outside some more, a semblance of freedom in his otherwise loose cage, JR had been given permission to sit up front with Kangin at night while they were driving again.  Ryeowook didn’t mind because he knew Kyuhyun would never allow for the vampire to harm his brother, never mind himself.  But it gave him the perfect chance to simply sit and be with the distracted male in the back.

                The computer was on like it always was but the phone was suspiciously silent.  Whether they heard about it now or later though, the news always seemed to be bad.  Biting his bottom lip, Ryeowook watched the way Kyuhyun simply appeared to stare at the screen, his hand barely moving the mouse as he scanned the page and read over what was happening now.  He wasn’t taking care of himself like he should have been and Ryeowook wasn’t sure why that bothered him either.  Stupid vampire was always making sure he ate enough…

                Eventually, he decided to break the silence.  “Kyu?”

                Blinking slowly, as if he was surprised to be spoken to, Kyuhyun sat up straighter and looked back at the half-turned with tired eyes.  His face was paler than usual and he raised his brows in silent inquiry.

                “How you doing?” Ryeowook asked, perched on the edge of the bed uncertainly.  He realized he didn’t resent the vampire like he used to and this new, haggard version was not entirely to his liking.

                Kyuhyun shook his head and barked a tired laugh.  “I’m fine, Wookie.”

                “Liar,” the half-turned responded with a weak chuckle.  He was rewarded with a bemused smirk from his companion and the appearance lifted a measure of his concern.

                “And how would you know?” the vampire asked with dry humor.

                Ryeowook’s smile turned more genuine but he didn’t answer the question.  Instead, he played with his fingernails on his lap and took a breath.  “Why don’t you try to make my brother like you?” he asked uncertainly.  Kangin had made the effort and succeeded just fine, since they were all stuck together, and it was obvious as long as Ryeowook was there, he wasn’t just going to let JR go either, but for wholly different reasons.

                The vampire nodded to himself thoughtfully and focused his dark eyes on Ryeowook’s.  “He already considers me a villain.  Might as well fit the role,” he smirked, though there was no humor in his gaze this time.  Ryeowook would have said something to contradict him but Kyuhyun continued, “Better me than you, ne?”

                Well that wasn’t what he’d been expecting.  For a long moment, Ryeowook didn’t say anything and he just watched as Kyuhyun turned his attention back to the computer silently.  Had he intentionally been drawing attention to himself this whole time?  Directing it from Ryeowook with a skill he would envy, if it was true.  His brows furrowed as he thought it over and then focused on the vampire again.  It really did sound like something he would do though.

                Surprisingly touched by the gesture, it made Ryeowook feel slightly guilty too.  “Thank you,” he murmured in a whisper, knowing the other would hear it just fine.

                Kyuhyun looked to the side so that his profile was in perfect view, though he gazed at the floor as opposed to Ryeowook.  “He means a lot to you.”  It was a statement rather than a question, but all the more significant because of it.

                “Ne.  He does,” Ryeowook confirmed, feeling his throat grow tight at the admission.  He honestly didn’t understand Kyuhyun or why he did the things he did.  However, it was getting harder and harder to see him as the monster his brother called him.  Hesitantly, he turned his wrist over and ran his fingertips along the thin, pale skin.  There were ridiculously few things he could do for the vampire, other than stay out of his way, but he wanted to thank him somehow.  At least beyond the verbal token which seemed wholly inadequate under the circumstances.

                Despite his misgivings about Kyuhyun, he had helped Ryeowook a great deal more than he often gave him credit for.  He told him information, however indirectly, about what was going on; he gave him his space and didn’t try to force the issue between them; he even let him work with JR as much as possible under the circumstances.  Nor could he forget that the vampire had saved his life and, in an offhand manner, his brother’s as well.  He’d kept them all safe so far, even when they’d seen smoke on the horizon from some unknown source of destruction, and they had yet to catch any sign or sightings of Hunters or werewolves.

                And yet, he never asked for anything in return.  He simply took what company the others offered and stayed focused.  Always focused.  It was beginning to show too.  Stupid vampire.  He was so damn intelligent, he didn’t properly know how to take care of himself, did he?

                Taking a breath, Ryeowook looked up again before he stood and wandered close to place a slender hand on Kyuhyun’s shoulder.  The seated male looked up at him in obvious surprise but he spoke before the other could.  “When was the last time you fed?”

                Kyuhyun frowned at the question and shook his head.  “I’m fine, Wookie,” he danced around giving a proper answer.

                “Liar,” Ryeowook smiled sadly, repeating himself from earlier.  Kyuhyun looked away quietly, refraining from speaking.  Uncertainly, he reached to touch his fingertips under the vampire’s chin, directing the dark eyes back to his as he met them with some concern.  “You need to eat, Kyu.”  He didn’t miss the way the vampire swallowed or how his eyes flickered to Ryeowook’s bare neck.

                They’d been good about feeding outside the trailer for the most part.  Kangin was better about it, but neither had wanted to spook JR exactly, for which Ryeowook had been grateful.  But Kyuhyun hadn’t been going out as often as he should, opting instead to remain behind and guard the trailer or keep an eye on happenings via the computer.  Carefully, Kyuhyun stood up in front of the half-turned and looked down at him, keeping his hands to himself as he searched the shorter male’s face.  “Are you sure?” he asked in a quiet murmur.

                Ryeowook nibbled on his bottom lip for a second and felt a strange shiver run through him.  It had been a while since he’d been Kyuhyun’s focus like he was now and he’d almost forgotten how it felt.  “I can trust you, right?” he asked, reminding the vampire of his promise.

                “Always,” Kyuhyun smiled then, not his usual smirk but something much warmer, though it was still a little on the restrained side.

                At the admission, Ryeowook nodded encouragement and held still, waiting for the vampire to move, mildly nervous about being fed upon again.  It had not happened since the night before the attack, but the circumstances were entirely different this time around.

                Kyuhyun stepped close enough that their bodies were almost touching as the fingers of his right hand oh so gently traced the smooth skin of Ryeowook’s neck, the contact making his hair stand on end.  It was but a fleeting touch before his hand shifted to rest on Ryeowook’s waist with gentle but firm pressure.

                The half-turned couldn’t help but inhale slightly at the contact, though he didn’t step away.  Searching Kyuhyun’s face in a similar manner, he uncertainly rested his palms against the almost too prominent ribs, tilting his head to the side just a touch.  When the vampire continued to hesitate, Ryeowook murmured.  “It’s alright, Kyu.  I… trust you,” he admitted, for the first time actually believing it himself.  It was a strange revelation and he pursed his lips when Kyuhyun smiled at him.

                “Thank you… Wookie,” he whispered in response, reaching to thread the fingers of his left hand through Ryeowook’s hair before he dipped his head towards his neck.

                Ryeowook’s grip tightened slightly when he felt lips press against the skin in a soft kiss, causing him to inhale as his heart rate sped up.  The sensation shifted slightly, moving up his neck a hair before he felt another kiss and another, setting every nerve in his body alight with awareness while his body tingled pleasantly.  His right hand drifted around behind Kyuhyun’s back to grip his shirt as he whimpered at the sensation, his stomach clenching into knots.  This was not what he’d been expecting when he made the offer but… he didn’t want it to stop.  That much he knew.

                Without complaint, he allowed his body to be pulled closer against Kyuhyun’s, the hand at his waist sliding around his back, drawing him into the bend of the vampire’s body.  His knees trembled traitorously when a soft, moist heat graced the skin of his neck as Kyuhyun’s tongue accompanied the kisses, leaving cool patches in their wake.  Ryeowook’s breathing sped up and his other hand eased around to grip Kyuhyun’s shoulder from behind, holding him tight.  He scrunched his eyes shut tight and trembled at the feelings coursing through him.  He didn’t mean to, but the vampire’s name slipped past his lips in a breathy whisper.  “Kyu…” he exhaled in a shaky voice.

                He felt the vampire pause and tense up slightly, fingertips pressing harder into his flesh where he held Ryeowook.  But then he hummed low in the back of his throat, quite different from the growl he had given the first time, and placed his teeth against the half-turned’s neck, biting down with precise delicacy as he held him tight.

                The pain was but a prick in the sea of sensations Ryeowook felt this time, almost drowning in the vampire’s presence as he was hyperaware of his lips still on his skin; the way his fingers dug in harder; even the way he could tell how his essence was being siphoned effortlessly… and he didn’t care.  The fear and worry that had plagued him before were gone, as were his reservations about Kyuhyun himself.  All that was left was an overwhelming ability to feel and a heady, dizzying, pleasurable sensation thrumming through his body that had him clinging to Kyuhyun, panting in shallow gasps as he whimpered, unable to form coherent thoughts or produce meaningful words.

                A few seconds or an eternity could have gone by and Ryeowook never would have known.  He was only aware when Kyuhyun pulled away, the tension in his frame relaxing as his teeth came free so he could the wound and then hold him close.  “It’s alright,” he murmured, a smile evident in his tone.

                Panting, it took Ryeowook a second to realize Kyuhyun was done and then he was just grateful to be holding onto something because he wasn’t sure his legs would work if he asked them.  His body still tingled and he wasn’t positive if it was a good thing but he didn’t feel half as weak as before.  At least not in the sense of blood loss.  “That was not like before,” he finally murmured, holding on tight to the vampire.

                “I know,” Kyuhyun responded with an almost smug sound to his voice.

                “Why?” Ryeowook asked, blinking quickly as he continued to steady himself and gather his thoughts.

                Kyuhyun dragged his right hand down Ryeowook’s back, sending a more than usual tingle up his spine so that he gasped at the pleasing feel and held tighter again.  “I didn’t want you to hurt or be afraid this time,” the vampire admitted quietly, stilling his hand as he let the tingling fade away.

                Had he shocked him?  That would certainly explain why he had seemed to feel everything…  His cheeks burned when he thought going through that again wouldn’t be so bad in the future and he mentally smacked himself in the head.  No.  This was just a thank you.  Sort of.  Ah hell.  After that, he really didn’t know anymore.  Swallowing once, Ryeowook simply nodded to let him know he was successful.  “It worked,” he whispered, gathering the strength to finally push himself back, feeling the slight resistance in Kyuhyun’s hold.

                “Here.  Why don’t you sit down?” Kyuhyun suggested, guiding Ryeowook back to the folded out bed again with a bemused smile on his face.

                “Thanks,” Ryeowook murmured, gladly falling into place as his thoughts raced behind his conflicted visage.  He glanced up to finally look at Kyuhyun and noticed that he appeared somewhat better already.  Stupid vampire.  He should know better about taking care of himself by now.

                “Rest, Wookie,” he spoke, touching his fingertips gently against the seated male’s cheek in a very light caress.  Without another word, Kyuhyun turned around and returned to the computer, definitely livelier this time.

                Honestly, Ryeowook didn’t want to rest.  He was much too keyed up and not in the least bit tired, which at least gave credence to Kyuhyun’s earlier explanation of a placebo effect.  What the hell had that been though?  Very much unsettled, he rubbed at the bite marks with careful fingertips, noticing they were already fading.  Such things didn’t take long to heal at all.

                He didn’t know what it was yet, but invariably, something had changed between them.  Ryeowook shivered and shook himself as he tried to banish the last vestiges of pleasure clinging to him.  From the first feeding, he knew there was going to be pleasure but not like that…  Biting his thumbnail in thought, he watched Kyuhyun for a long moment, not sure what to feel now.

                Why couldn’t things between them be black and white?  Why did one of them have to go and screw things up to blur the lines and make things fuzzy again?  Why?!

 

(a/n: So yeah...  heh  More stuffs is happening!  lol  We've got a couple new people mentioned and I'll see about bringing others into the fold soon as things start to devolve further.  Rarely does the world fall apart immediately.  If I do it right, we're going to be seeing a taste of it shortly soon though.  ;)

And as promised, another KyuWook moment that was decided different than the last one.  heh  It's interesting trying to balance everything out but I do believe I'm rather enjoying myself.  heh  As always, thank you so much for reading and I hope you continue to enjoy!  <3)