Chapter 7

I come for you

Chapter 7

Taeyeon

I get to the building and walk inside. Dr. Heechul is one of the presidents of Lunatic, however his passion is in teaching and honing the minds of young society so they can take on the world. It’s a pleasure to get to know the inventions and tools the company has in the works. I make it to the meeting just in time and take a seat before Dr. Heechul arrives.  I keep wondering what the meeting can possibly be about. I look around the room and see a nervous expression on everyone’s face.

Dr. Heechul comes in and leans against the desk in front of the room,

“Good afternoon everyone.” He nods at each of us. I’m feeling a mix of being nervous and anxious. “Now I know you’re all wondering why I called you here today. Lunatic is pushing forward with a new project and needs to bring some more people on.” 

He pauses and looks at all of us. I can see the shimmer in his expression and start to feel tense.

“Now I’ve watched each and every one of you and wish I could bring you all onboard but we can only accept two people. It was a difficult decision to make, but please put your hands together for Baekhyun and Kim Taeyeon.”

My mouth drops; I can’t believe out of everyone I’m the one they want! I look over and see Baekhyun's face. He looks like he’s ready to pass out. I try to get his attention by tossing a paper ball at him, when he turns around I mouth “Congratulations.” 

He smiles back at me but I can see how nervous he is. I don’t want to show my excitement too much since there are many upset faces around me, but I can’t help but smile, because of all the countless hours and research I put into this group. I deserve this opportunity and I will make sure I do well.

“Now I just want to say thanks to everyone for your participation in this group. Your hard work has not gone unnoticed and if anyone would like a letter of recommendation please come see me. That will be all for today. Have a great rest of the year and good luck to you all.” The rest of the group begins to pack up their things and hug us with congratulations before heading out of class. Baekhyun and Dr. Heechul talk for a brief moment as they shake hands before he leaves.  I can’t move from my seat, 

“Surprised Miss Kim Taeyeon?”

I look up and see Dr. Heechul nearby smiling, “A little. I don’t know what to say, other than thank you so much.”

“It’s my pleasure Miss Kim Taeyeon but you should be thanking yourself. You worked very hard this semester and I am very pleased with you. My colleagues are very interested in meeting you and Mr Baekhyun very soon. Please ensure you are checking your email frequently since I will be sending each of you a business task that needs to be completed and presented to the company in a few months.”

I slowly get up from my chair, walk over to him and shake his hand, “I won’t let you down sir.”

He starts shaking his head, “I believe in you.”

“Thank you again,” I beam. I pick up the rest of my things and start heading back to my room. This is unbelievable, a new and clean slate. I hope this is the beginning and I can prove myself. I feel a little confident and great about myself. Everything I did-all the research, the studying and staying up all night with caffeine has paid off. I take out my cell phone and call my dad.

“Hi princess!” He says excitedly.

“Daddy, guess what?” I’m beginning to feel anxious. I want him to be proud of me.

“What is it Taeyeon?” He asks slowly.

“Lunatic selected me! I’m officially hired!” I shriek in the phone.

“Taeyeon! That’s such great news honey. I am so proud of you. If only your mom could be here.” There’s a pause in our conversation as a tear falls from my eye.

“I know daddy. She would have been proud of all of us.” I smile as look up to the sky. I can imagine my mom looking back at me smiling.

There’s another pause and I wonder what my dad is doing. “Tae, why didn’t you tell me Sehun transferred to your school? We were together today and you could have told me."

It’s surprising he brings up Sehun. I’m afraid with what he’s going to say next. What is he up to? “Um w-what,” I stutter.

My dad begins to laugh. “I ran into Mrs Oh last week and she said he was back and transferred back in August. Why didn’t you tell me? Have you talked to either Sehun or Kris?”

I’m not sure how to answer him. “Oh yeah here and there you know.”

“They’re on the basketball team with GD and we’re all so busy.”

“Taeyeon you three were inseparable. I don’t have a memory without the three of you.” I know my dad is going to get serious on me. 

“He was your best friend. Be the bigger person. If memory serves me correct you were the one who broke off the friendship.”

“Ugh, whatever Dad,” at this point I want to get off the phone with him. I don’t know why he would bring this up to me now. The feeling of annoyance eats at me. I kick a rock near my foot and am about to say bye when my dad says something else. 

“He came back. That means something.”

“I know Dad.” I take my hand and pull it through my hair. “I have to go, I’ll talk to you later, love you.” 

I didn’t want to sound sad or cry on the phone with my dad. I try to hide my emotions. I hate this feeling.

“I love you too sweety. Have a good day and congratulations, again.”

I see a nearby bench and sit down thinking about what my dad just said to me. He’s right! Sehun’s back and it does mean something. He could have gone to a different college but he’s here at the same college as me. He did tell me he’s happy he’s here. Everything happens for a reason. Since he’s back, I need to take the next step to build our friendship. Since I’m the one that put an end to our friendship, it does make sense that I take the first step to mend it. My level of fear soars but I have to take this chance or else I’ll always wonder.

I still remember the night that I lost him. The memories play back in my mind often and each time it did I feel guilty. It kills me to have these memories play through my mind. 

The pain rips my heart into pieces and I fall apart. I was so mad at everyone and didn’t know what I was doing. I wanted to push everyone out of my life including the one person that I truly loved. That night I went over to Sehun and Kris's and started screaming for Sehun to come outside. When he came out I started hitting him, 

“What’s wrong with you?” Sehun yelled.

“You’re the worst person ever! Why didn’t you stay with me after the funeral? I needed you Sehun. You’re supposed to be my best friend!” 

I slapped him across the face. When he looked back at me, I saw the break in his face. I didn’t know why I was doing this but I was so mad. I was mad at everyone and I didn’t care anymore.

“Tae, I thought you wanted to be alone and be with your dad and Tiffany. I’m sorry but you need to calm down.” He came closer to me to try and hold my hand but I slapped it away. 

“You are my best friend. I don’t know what else you want from me?” I pushed him again. 

“You’re such an Sehun!”

He looked hurt. “How am I being an ? I thought giving you some space to spend time with your family was the right thing to do. This is too much to handle Tae. You’re all over the place. One minute you’re happy and then you’re mad! What’s your problem? I didn’t do anything wrong to you! I gave you space and you should know that I would be here if you needed me. Stop being such a crazy !”

I pointed my finger in his face. “See! ,” I got right up to his face and wanted to punch him.

“Taeyeon!” He tried to bring me in for a hug but I pushed his arms away. I know he’s worried about me but where was he when I needed him?

“No.” I pointed my finger to his chest. “You do not have the right to touch me! I don’t have anyone. My mom is gone and you left me Sehun,” 

I was crying so hard I didn’t realize that I punched Sehun in the face. Suddenly I felt arms around me pushing me away, “Kris what the hell?” I clawed at his arms so he would let me go.

“Taeyeon, go home. You’re drunk and we didn’t do anything wrong,” Kris helped Sehun get up from the ground, “We’re supposed to all be friends, so why are you doing this?”

I couldn’t hear anything that they were saying and I walked away never looking back.

 

***


I’m in the library looking up more information about Lunatic. The company started a little over four years ago. I try to look up the founders but can’t find anyone’s name. “How weird,” I whisper. I click on a few profiles and see Dr. Heechul’s information but everything else seems to be a mystery. It says the company was started up by one person and grew. The company’s privately owned and the CEO wishes to be nameless. I conduct an internet search for the CEO of Lunatic but nothing comes up. I wonder why everything is a secret.

My phone vibrates again for the millionth time. GD’s been calling and texting me non-stop. I keep pressing ignore and delete but he doesn’t get the point. If I’m able to move on why can’t he? I turn off my phone and focus on my research. This is more important than dealing with bull from GD. I finish my research, grab my purse and head back to my room.

It’s getting dark out and my walk back to the room is a little further from the library. There are a few people out and about on campus but nothing too crazy. I feel my phone vibrate and take it out to read the text message.

GD: Why do you keep ignoring me? We need to talk. I’m still your boyfriend.

Ugh! Doesn’t he get it? I put my phone back in my purse when I hear footsteps behind me. I start getting panicky because I know it’s GD. I walk a little faster, 

“Taeyeon!” He says loudly. 

This is it. I have to tell him to leave me alone. I turn around and look him in the eyes. “GD, leave me alone. It’s over.” My voice is shaky but I can’t back down.

He reaches out for me and I jerk my arm away. “Taeyeon, stop this now.” His voice is raw and nasty. He gestures for me to come back to him.

“I am not your pet GD! You need to leave me alone. I’m done with you!” 

My voice is getting louder and I hope that someone will come save me from this idiot. “I don’t want anything to do with you anymore GD. Just leave me alone!” 

My eyes shift nervously. I’m good at acting and hope he can just believe me and leave. He comes closer to me. His eyes are dark and empty with no emotion. No heart, nothing. He swiftly captures me in his arms before I can move away. I struggle in his arms and push him away but he’s too strong for me. 

“GD! Let me go!” I scream at him."

“I can never let you go,” he whispers in my ear. His insidious voice makes me cringe. I hate him. I hate how close he is to me. “Don’t you know how much I love you Taeyeon? You’re my world. I’m so sorry for everything. I’m getting help for my anger issues. You don’t deserve to be in pain anymore. Let me take you away. We can go anywhere. My dad will let us take the company jet to Spain. Remember? You always told me you wanted to go. Now here’s our chance.”

His voice sends shivers down my spine. I can hear the darkness and I want him to go away. I don’t stop struggling to get out of his arms. He holds me tighter as he rests his chin on my head. He tries to hold me closer but I keep thrashing around. I look around and there is no one around us, 

“GD, no. No Spain, nothing. You need to let me go now!” 

I’m screaming and hoping someone hears me.

GD laughs manically and I know he’s never going to let me go until he gets what he wants. All of a sudden, I see Sehun running toward us. 

“Sehun!” I shout.

GD pushes me to the ground and turns around to face Sehun. I see his fists ball up tightly and instantly panic. I don’t know what’s going to happen next. No! Sehun can’t get hurt. 

“This is none of your business Sehun.” He shouts angrily. “Back the away.”

I see Sehun get in GD’s face. I swiftly get up off the ground and run to Sehun’s side. When I grab his arm, he turns his head to look at me. He doesn’t say anything but I know he’s glad to have me by his side. 

“She told you to leave Kwon Jiyong.” Sehun points his finger into GD’s chest. 

“I suggest you back the away from her.” Sehun stands in front of me and grabs my hand. He holds on tightly as I place my cheek on his back.

GD smacks Sehun’s hand away. 

“What the do you care dude? She’s nothing but a ing .”

Sehun looks at me and I know to get out of the way. I take a few steps back before he punches GD in the face. I watch GD fall to the ground and see his menacing expression. I immediately grab Sehub’s left arm to pull him away. All of this drama needs to stop. I can’t take it anymore. 

“Stop please,” I softly plead. GD quickly gets up from the ground and looks at the both of us. 

“Oh I get it now. You’re ing this prick, aren’t you?”

Sehun tries to pull away from me but I hold him tighter. “Just leave GD.” I tell him.

GD points at us, “This ain’t over.” He looks over at me before leaving. That dark look leaves me trembling. Why can’t he just leave me alone?

We watch GD walk away and I let out a sigh of relief. Sehun pulls me close to his body and I can feel his heart racing. I wrap my arms around him and I never want to let go. We stay like this for a while before he lets me go and touches my face.

“You okay?”

I touch his hand. “I’m okay now. Thank you for everything.” I see the smile on his face.

“I’m glad you’re okay.” His eyes don’t leave mine. I love the feel of his hands on my face. I feel so much better. This is where I want to be.

“Always,” I put my arms around his waist as I rest the side of my head to his chest. He’s a good five inches taller than me and I feel his breathing quicken. I hold him tighter letting him know I’m here to stay. I feel him resting his chin on top of my head and putting his arms around me. This feels right and I smile thinking that this is the start of us again.

***

Sehun brings me back to my room and we sit on my bed together. Neither of us say anything. He rests his hand on my thigh and draws lazy circles around. “Do you wanna talk?” 

I shake my head. “Are you sure? I’m worried about you?” The heartbreak in his voice is killing me. I need to be better with Sehun. He’s here to help and I should let him do just that.

“It’s been a long night but I promise I’ll tell you everything. Can you stay the night with me? I know it’s been a while...” my voice trails off as Sehun starts smiling.

“Of course I’ll stay here with you. It’ll be like it used to be,” he smirks, pulling up next to me. I feel safe with him here.