Chapter 17

I come for you

Chapter 17

Taeyeon

 

The next day I am feeling a little bit better, but the smell of food is definitely not working too well with my stomach. I make a cup of tea before making my way to the meeting with Dr. Heechul and Baekhyun.

Today is a nice day; the sun is out and there is no snow on the ground. It’s still chilly but it feels good to be outside in the fresh air; instead of quarantined in the apartment. I get to the building and see all the students trying to get to class. I am thankful I am finished with classes and I have time to focus on the presentation. Today is the day we find out the product we are going to help launch for Lunatic. The preliminary work was tedious, looking over past sales and clients. I open the door to the classroom and see Dr. Heechul reading what looks like to be emails, 

“Morning Dr. Heechul. How are you?”

He looks up with his glasses on the tip of his nose, “Why good morning Miss Kim. I’m doing well and how are you feeling today? I heard you were sick. So glad you’re feeling better.”

I wonder how he knew I was sick. I didn’t email him and I don’t talk to Baekhyun. “I’m okay, thank you for asking. It feels good to be out of my room.” I look around the empty classroom. 

“Where’s Baekhyun?”

“Baekhyun has decided Lunatic is not the right fit for him and has resigned. Now this leaves just you with this project Miss Kim. I will be guiding you throughout the entire process so no need to feel stressed or anything. We want you to succeed and we believe you will be a great asset to the company.”

He keeps saying “we” and I’m not sure why. How can I do this on my own? I feel the walls coming closer together and my breathing becomes rapid. I hate this feeling. I hate feeling as though I don’t have control. I feel small. I don’t’ think I can do this. He believes in me but I don’t think I can do this. I want to back out now before I make a fool out of myself and waste the company’s money. 

“Umm...Dr. Heechul I can’t do this!”

He gets up from his desk and comes toward me. His hands are on my shoulder and looking at me. 

“Miss Kim. Breathe. You will be okay. Here take a seat.” 

He leads me to the chair and we both sit down. “Now, if my colleagues and I didn’t believe you could do this, you would not be here. Look at everything you have accomplished so far Miss Kim. Don’t throw it away because you are scared. You have an immense support group and I will help you throughout the entire process.”

I don’t know why he thinks I can do this. It’s too much to handle but I don’t want to let anyone down. I count to ten and close my eyes. When I open them, he is looking at me with a worried expression. I feel guilty. I can’t leave this opportunity. 

“Okay.” 

“Good Miss Kim.” Dr. Heechul takes out his iPad and turns it on. 

“Now let’s talk about what your task will be.”

We sit down at the round table in the back. I take out my pen and notebook and wait patiently for my instructions. Dr. Heechul takes off his glasses and takes out papers from a folder, “Now Lunatic wants to expand by creating safety devices that will help those people over the age of 50 and people with existing health problems.”

As he’s talking I can’t help but remember the project Sehun was working on. I wonder if he has anything to do with the company. It’s all so weird and I want to know what is going on. “Miss Kim?”

I quickly look over at him and feel embarrassed. “Oh Dr. Heechul, I am so sorry!”

He starts to laugh, “It’s alright. Now do you have any questions for me?”

“Actually, I do have a few. So, am I supposed to come up with a prototype?”

“No, no you my dear will focus on the marketing piece of this campaign. We want you to focus on the sales aspect of this product and how we can make it appealing. I need you to go through the sales of last year’s products and review their ads. We may have to review some video of the conferences that took place, but I will put that together. The prototype is under someone else and actually they’ve come up with a few. It’s very interesting.”

Information overload! I need to do this. I can’t back out now. I feel my hands getting clammy. Ugh, why is this so hard to process and accept? 

“It does sound like it. Now do you want me to create a power point presentation?”

“Yes that does sound like a great idea. Now focus mostly on the research the team found on the age group and how it will help people.”

I skim the pages and recognize the information. Oh my God, Sehun is working for Lunatic too, but why didn’t he tell me?

“Well, this wraps up our meeting, Miss Kim.” He looks at his watch, 

“Now if you have any questions, please call me; day or night.”

I pick up my things and put them in my messenger bag, 

“Sounds good. Thanks again.” We shake hands and I walk out of the classroom. I take out my phone ready to call Sehun and ask him what is going on, when it starts ringing. An unfamiliar number pops up, 

“Hello?”

“Hi is this Kim Taeyeon?” A woman’s voice comes through on the other end.

I wonder who this could be. “Yes this is she. Who is this?”

“Miss Kim, I’m one of the nurses at SM Hospital. Your boyfriend Kwon Jiyong is here.”

I nearly drop the phone. I haven’t talked to GD in a few weeks so why would she call me? I want to hang up but he does not have anyone here in town and I am sure his parents are out of the country somewhere. Against my better judgment I ask, 

“What happened?” I start running to get out of the building and to my car. I am frantic and unsure what is going on.”

“Miss Kim, he was found unconscious in his dorm room.”

“Okay okay, I’m on my way.” I hang up the phone and get in the car to start driving to the hospital. I don’t know what is going on and I feel guilty. I know this is my fault. I do not think breaking up with him would make him do this. I get to the hospital and run in. I get to the front desk, 

“Kwon Jiyong’s room please.” I’m out of breath and scared.

The nurse is typing on her computer and doesn’t look up at me. “Name please?”

I’m impatient and don’t have time for this. “Kim Taeyeon.”

The woman looks up, “You’re Dr. Kim’ daughter?”

I nod my head.

“Hold on please.” She pages my dad and in a few moments I see him coming to me.

“Daddy?” I see the worry in his eyes and feel my heart breaking. I run up to him and give him a hug. I am not sure what is going on.

“Sweetheart, what are you doing here?” I see my dad frowning and I know he is not happy to have me here.

“The hospital called me saying GD’s here. I guess he listed me as his emergency contact.”

“Taeyeon.” My dad looks down at me. “Jessica told me everything. Sweetheart why are you here?”

I’m speechless. I don’t want him to know what is going on. Why would Jessica tell him? I know she is trying to protect me but It’s not her place to talk about me to my family. I’m so mad! This is why I don’t trust people! I feel bad and ashamed. He has enough to deal with and I don’t want to drag him into my drama. It happened and I’m over it. People need to stop dwelling on the past and let me move on! 

“Daddy, I’m sorry I didn’t tell you. It’s my fault he is here. I can’t just leave him like this. His parents are in LA and all he has are his friends and me.”

“Had you, Taeyeon, you cannot see him, I forbid it!” My dad is getting mad and his voice starts to scare me. 

“Taeyeon,” he comes toward me and hugs me, “I cannot have you around him. I cannot believe he hit you and has been treating you this way. Please sweetheart, stop and think about this. You have Sehun, go be with him.”

I sigh. “Daddy, I just want to make sure he is fine.”

I see the anger in my dad’s face but he understands. We walk down the hall and the hospital seems busy during this time. I start to feel nervous because I am unsure what to expect. He puts his arm around my shoulders and takes me to GD’s room. 

“What happened?”

“GD was found in his dorm passed out drunk. Apparently he was on a binge and there was vomit all over. Now we were able to revive him but then he became violent so we had to restrain him. He is on meds right now, but sweetheart I don’t think this is a good idea. Does Sehun know you’re here?”

I look down. “No.”

We get to GD’s room and the white walls have medical posters all over. There are machines all around him with an IV in his arm. The restraints are around both of his wrists and I can see him looking out to the side; he looks empty as if the GD I first met wasn’t there anymore. 

“Daddy, can I get a minute with him?” There is hesitation in his expression. 

“Daddy, I’ll keep my distance. I just need a minute or two.”

“Okay sweetheart, but just be careful.” He kisses me on my forehead and heads out of the room.

I pull up a chair to GD’s bed and take his hand, 

“GD?” He still doesn’t look at me. 

“Talk to me, what is going on? I’m here.”

“Why are you here?” His raspy voice is hollow and there is no emotion.

“You broke up with me. No one wants me.”

“GD, I am sorry but I couldn’t live like that anymore. Do you know what you were doing? Don’t you feel bad?”

“Of course I do. I love you Taeyeon. I just lost my temper. Are you coming back to me?” He turns his head over in my direction. I can see the hope in his eyes.”

“Jiyong, I’m with Sehun now.” I let go of his hand. “But I want you to be happy and move on.”

“If you hadn’t left me, this wouldn’t have happened. What, did you Sehun?”

His voice is full of anger and hate. “GD, stop now! I didn’t even have to come see you but I felt bad and wanted to make sure you’re okay!” 

I push the chair away from his bed and get up. I pace the room and put my hands to my face. I knew this was a mistake.

“Taeyeon, look at me please.” I turn around, still keeping my distance. I see the agony in his eyes but I don’t know how sincere he is being. GD always had a way of getting what he wants. 

“Just come back to me babe. I can be better. Who is going to be there for me? Who am I going to share my dreams with? You were the only one I was able to run to and trust with my heart. Just give me another chance?”

Before I can respond, the door swings open and I see Sehun and my dad standing in the doorway. Sehun comes running to me and takes me in his arms. 

“Jiyong, just leave her alone. This is the last time you’ll see her.” He leads me out of the room and all we can hear is GD screaming my name.

“Taeyeon, what were you thinking?”

The hurt in his eyes broke me. I don’t know how to answer the question. I don’t love GD. I love Sehun but I felt like I needed to be there for GD and make sure he was fine. I need to make Sehun understand that I can’t just let GD be on his own. I can’t be cruel.

“I don’t know. I feel bad. I did this to him. Look at what I did! He wouldn’t be here if I had stayed with him."

His hands are on my shoulders and I see him about to break. “Baby, what are you talking about? He is the one that hurt you! You don’t owe him anything. Are you trying to destroy us?”

“Sehun, no!” I don’t want this to happen. Can’t he see my view? 

“Sehun, please listen to me.” I grab his hands on my shoulder and give him a reassuring squeeze. He has to know that I am only trying to be nice. I don’t want him to give up on us when things get hard or I do something stupid. I’m learning just like him. 

“I was just trying to be nice and make sure he is okay. GD does not mean anything to me. But I feel like I owe him.”

Sehun backs away and lets me go. “I don’t know what else to do Taeyeon. I’m trying here but when I got the call that you’re here with GD, I don’t know, I freaked out.” 

He comes toward me again. “Why baby? Why did you come visit him? Do you still want to be with him?”

I quickly shake my head. “No! Sehun, I want you.” Sehun looks at me and I can see how I’m hurting him. 

“I’m sorry I came to see him but he doesn’t have anyone.”

Sehun throws his hands up in the air. “So? He doesn’t deserve your kindness, Taeyeon.” Sehun turns around and hits the wall with his fist. My body tenses and I still don’t get why he is so upset. GD is in restraints and can’t get to me. It’s not like I was going there to be with him or anything. I slowly go up to him and put my hand on his shoulder. I feel how worried and anxious he is feeling. 

“Sehun,” I whisper, “Please, stop this.” I rest my head on his back.
Sehun turns around to look at me but all he can do is shake his head and walk away. I’m frozen and can’t move. How is this happening? I try and call out for him but something stops me. How can I let the best thing that has ever happened to me walk out of my life?