Change of Mind

0% Love

YOUR (YOON JI) POV

I walked out of the hotel with Min Woo. I felt comfortable and safe with Min Woo. It's like he was going to protect me if a harmful thing ever came. When we finally came outside the hotel, there was a car waiting for us. Minwoo opened the door for me. From where I was standing, I could see the driver. He looked happy and ready to drive us somewhere really far. But then I thought for a minute.

"What's wrong, Yoon Ji? Let's go inside the car. We have to hurry up before they find out." Min Woo said.

At this moment, I was having a second thought. I asked myself a lot of questions. Maybe I shouldn't do this? I do feel sorry for Niel's grandfather, but I don't want to live a sad life with Niel forever. Am I being too selfish? Am I only thinking about myself? Is this the right thing to do? Is it alright to walk away from my problems?

I finally thought of the right thing to do. Well, I still don't know if it was really the right thing to do, but I think I made the right choice.

"I can't do this. I'm going back." I said, looking straight at Min Woo's eyes.

"Are you sure? Is this really what you want? This is going to change a big part of your life."

"Yes, I'm sure."

He smiled and patted my head. I hugged him lightly and thanked him for everything. I took off my heels and ran to where the event was being held at. I ran as fast as I could. I didn't care if I was going to be late, but this was the right choice. I finally got there, but the doors were closed. I couldn't open it. I felt miserable and frustrated. I heard the host call my name already, and there was a long pause after that. I heard the host repeat my name again, and I bet people were already wondering why I wasn't showing up. Suddenly, the door opened. It was Dongho who opened it.

"Yoon Ji?! You came?!" Dongho looked surprised.

I just nodded and smiled at him.

"You need to go up the stage!" He said. He moved aside and I walked through the aisle. Everyone looked at me and smiled, which made me really nervous. I never liked being the center of attention. I could hear cameras clicking. The media was trying to take pictures of me, and the cameras' flashes were blinding me. People were clapping as I walked through the aisle that led to the stage. I walked slowly, combing my hair with my fingers. I knew they looked messed up because I was running really fast. I finally went up the stage and asked the host politely for his mic. I thought that I should probably apologize for arriving late and for arriving like this.

"Good evening, everyone. I apologize for arriving a little late and for arriving this way. I just had some little problems, that's it. Thank you all for coming and for patiently waiting for me." I smiled and I bowed respectfully. I also bowed at the host and thanked him for letting me borrow his mic. Then, fancy music came up and the waiters were pouring wine for the adults.

Now, what happened to Niel? I didn't really notice him since I came. I sat next to that chair next to him, and he just stared at me for a few seconds. Suddenly, his face was coming close to my face and his arms were around my shoulders. Wait, what is he doing? Why is he getting closer? What is he trying to do?!

I squinted my eyes as he came closer.

"What happened?... No, wait. We'll talk about this later, but first, go put your shoes on. You're embarrassing me. You look like a homeless person." He whispered.

I opened my eyes from amazement. I just remembered that I took off my heels because I ran. I was still carrying them with my hands. But wow, really? That's what he was going to say? That I'm embarrassing him? I gave up my freedom for him! And that's what he's going to say to me? That I look like a homeless person? A simple 'thank you' would've been great. I was ready slap his face, but I couldn't do it in front of everyone, so I guess I'll just save it for later. Since I was really pissed, I just stared at him.

"What? Why are you staring at me like that? You really want to embarrass me, huh? Fine. Gimme that." He took my heels from my hands and bent down. He put on my shoes for me, gracefully. Then, the media came closer and took pictures of him putting my shoes on for me.

I put my hand over my face, as if I was dissapointed. I wasn't really dissapointed, though. I was just really embarrassed. But oh my gosh. Why is he doing this? Is this his way of saying thank you? If it is, then I think that's nice, but the pictures of him putting my shoes on for me are going to turn out really cheesy. I was so embarrassed. I just wanted to disappear.

The engagement ceremony was finally over after an hour.

 

The next day, I just stayed inside the house and didn't talk to anyone at all because I was tired from all the problems that happened on Saturday. But on Monday morning, I saw the newspaper and our picture was there. It wasn't just any picture, but it was that picture where he was trying to put my shoes on for me. I was eating my breakfast, and I almost choked on that bread I was eating, so I drank my orange juice. My mother was looking at me and was smiling.

"Eomeoni! What is this picture?! Please tell them to take it out!" I said.

My mother just laughed. "It doesn't look bad at all. I think it looks really sweet, Honey. So don't worry about anything. And they already published the newspaper, so they can't take it out anymore."

"But eomeoni! It's embarrassing!"

"It looks fine. There's nothing wrong with it." She was trying to comfort me and holding my hand. "Ah, I just remembered. You are going to ride a car with Daniel to school from now on."

For a second, I wished that Daniel she was talking about wasn't Niel. But well, that's his real name.

"But why???" I asked her.

"What do you mean 'why'? You're already engaged, remember?"

"But still..."

"Enough with the whining already and go to school," she handed me my backpack. "The car's already waiting for you. Have a nice day at school, Honey!"

 

When I went outside the house, there was a shiny black car. I went inside the car, and there was Niel, looking arrogant and sitting down, reading the newspaper. As soon I sat down, the car started moving.

"Hey, did you see this?" He pointed at that picture of him putting my shoes on for me on the newspaper. "I was like a nice prince who put on the ugly girl's shoes for her."

I gave him a fake and annoyed smile, and turned around to see the things outside the window.

"Hey! I'm talking to you!" He said loudly.

I just ignored him and enjoyed looking at the streets from the car's window. Whatever. I don't really care if he shouts in front of my face. I'm not going to talk to him.

 

The ride to school was faster than I thought. Niel actually shut up the whole time after saying "Hey! I'm talking to you!". I immediately got out of the car when we arrived at school.

"Hey! Wait up! Why are you in such a hurry? Sheesh." Niel also got out as soon as I got out from the car.

"Gosh! What do you want? Leave me alone!" I said.

"We still have to talk about what happened at the engagement cerem-" He didn't get to finish his sentence because a bunch of girls started talking to him. In about ten seconds, we were crowded by people, but I was all the way in the back, away from him. I guess he liked being popular a lot. He was greeting a lot of girls and he knew their names. Then, Min Woo and Dongho appeared behind him. I could hear them talking.

"Niel, don't be like this when your fiancee's just over there." Min Woo said. Min Woo was very considerate. I think I'm liking him more and more. He'd be a really good friend to me. But I actually didn't care about Niel talking to other girls. I don't feel jealous at all. He can do whatever he wants. He can even date someone for all I care.

"Yeah, Niel. Don't be like that." Dongho agreed to Min Woo. "You should even thank her that she came to the engagement ceremony." I just realized that Dongho was actually a good person. Niel's friends are not as mean as him.

Niel didn't answer, and I was actually waiting for his answer. I was just curious of what he was going to say, but since he didn't respond to his friends, I just left.

While walking to the school building, I passed by my seatmate, Hye Ri. She was walking to the opposite direction. She always says hi to me, but she didn't say that today. Maybe she didn't see me.

When I came inside my classroom, someone screamed, "Hey, guys, it's Yoon Ji!". They all started asking me how the engagement was at the same time. I was startled and I didn't really expect it, so I just smiled awkwardly and sat on my desk. Then, Yu Won came with a pretty box with her.

"Yoon Ji!" She screamed. She ran to me and hugged me really tight that I almost couldn't breathe anymore. "I am so sorry for not attending your engagement party. I really wanted to go, but I had to go to Japan real fast over the weekend with my family, but here's a nice cake for you!"

"Oh, thanks! You really didn't have to." I said.

"What do you mean I didn't have to?... Oh yeah, I thought you had that plan? How come you still went to the engagement ceremony?" She asked me. I didn't know how to respond to her question.

"Well, I don't know. I suddenly changed my mind for some reason."

"Does that mean you like Niel now?"

"Ewww, no! I'm never gonna like that jerk."

"But he's going to be your HUSBAND now. You're not gonna be able to go out with anyone but him."

"I know that, it's just that... I just thought that facing my problems would be the right choice." I realized what she just said and I felt lonely.

Yu Won started patting my back. "Aaaww, that's okay, Yoon Ji. I'm always gonna be here for you, so don't worry. But what are you going to do?"

"I don't even know anymore."

 

AUTHOR'S NOTE:

I didn't write a new chapter for a week again. Sorry about that. I was busy because of school last week and I was tired. I finished EVERY single thing that I have to do earlier at school and I'm ahead, so I feel great. =D But I have tests next week. Ugghhh... LOL. I was just wondering, though. Do people really read this section? Hahaha, but that doesn't really matter. =b Well, I hope you enjoyed this chapter~

-azn_nuABO14

GLOSSARY

Eomeoni - mother (in Korean / polite/formal)