Chapter 6

Unconditional Love

 

 

Minho and Sulli were walking along the hospital corridor, while Minho was holding a bunch of flower in his hand. After made up, he suggested Sulli to introduce himself officially to her Mom. Well... It was the important thing that he must do it since he needs Sulli to carry on his plan. But of course lying is still applied to cover their fake relationship.

 

They were now facing Sulli’s Mom room. She smiled faintly and nodded at Minho before she slid the door opened. Her heart went sank when she saw her Mom was laying on the bed stiffly alone in the quiet room.

 

Minho could see Sulli’s body was blenching as he followed her light step from behind. His chest suddenly felt so tight again at the sight how Sulli’s face became leaden and so sad as soon as they entered the room. This girl is too fragile in this young age and already facing this hard circumstance. His heart swiftly felt so sympathy for her.

 

Sulli walked ahead of him, when she arrived to her bed, she leaned down. “Umma!” Sulli whispered softly to her mom. She knew that she was not sleeping but because of she was too tired even for opening her eyes. She smiled when her mom moved slightly and slowly she opened her eyes.

 

“Oh Jin! You came.” Her mom replied with her weak voice. She smiled to her daughter before her pale face fixed on a young man who was standing beside Sulli. She studied him in curious. “You bring your friend?”

 

“Yes Umma.” Sulli replied and then she pressed the electric motor to raise the head of the bed. Her mom now comfortably lay on the bed in fowler’s position. “So are you??” Mrs. Choi smiled and looked at Minho.

 

“Annyeonghaseyo Eomoni.” Minho politely greeted and bowed. “My name is Choi Minho. And actually I’m-” He halted and looked at Sulli. She faintly smiled at him to continue. “I’m actually her boyfriend.”

 

“Ne, I can tell since my Jin has never brought a man to me before not even her guy friends. This is the first time ever.” She then turned to Sulli. “Jin! Finally you introduce me your boyfriend now. I’m glad that my daughter becomes a lady now.” Her mom frailly said in excited tone.

 

Sulli felt really bad that she needed to lie to her mom like that. But she had no choice, it’s for their own good after all.

 

“Err... Minho right! Come on don’t be polite. Let’s sit down, honey.” She called both of them. Sulli then sat on the bed with her mom while Minho settled himself on a single chair beside the bed. He then handed out a bunch of beautiful flower to her.

 

“For you, a very special person of my girlfriend.” Minho said as Mrs. Choi smiled widely and took it from his hand. Sulli instantly flushed with his word. No denied, she really felt giddy now. This guy really knew how to make her heart fluttering like this. “How are you feeling today, Eomoni?” Minho asked.

 

“Thank you, Minho. I’m still the same.” She then turned to Sulli. “Soon I guess I might be going to meet your dad, Jin.”

 

“Umma!!!!” Sulli hollered. “You’re not going anywhere, arasseo?” Her eyes welled up in tears.

 

“Omo! I’m just kidding dear. I’m not leaving, okay? So don’t cry.” Mrs. Choi reached her hand to Sulli’s cheek lovingly.

 

“Yes Eomoni, you will never going anywhere, because in this week the surgery is going to take place.” Said Minho, flashing her with his gentle smile.

 

“Surgery?? Jin! How come you can find the money?” She turned to ask her daughter.

 

“Oh about that-” Sulli was cut off by Minho.

 

“Don’t worry about that Eomoni. I’m the one who take care of it.” He said and when he saw Mrs. Choi was about to protest he continued. “No don’t decline it. Jinri’s problem is automatically become my concern, especially it’s you. How can I open my eyes to see how critical condition you are in and do nothing? Of course as a boyfriend as well as her future husband, my responsibility needs to be activated. It’s a must.”

 

“Future husband?”

 

“I know I’m a bit rude here but I come this time not only to introduce myself as her boyfriend but intention to ask for your daughter’s hand.” He then stood up from the chair and bowed his head directed toward Sulli’s Mom. “Eomoni! Please do accept me as you son-in-law.”

“Eh?” Mrs. Choi uttered but later she smiled. “I actually have nothing against about the marriage, but how long that you two are going out? I mean why need to rush thing since I guess you two just start dating?”

 

Sulli quickly avoided her mom’s eyes and looked at Minho who seemed to out of word either. But to her surprise he wasn’t.

 

“But the most important thing is I love your daughter.” Minho convincingly reasoned out. He firstly thought it was going to be hard for him to say the ‘love’ word out, because he himself experienced the black past from it, moreover he didn’t want to make any illusion which causing Sulli would be having some of uncomfortable feeling. But in contrast he frankly found himself was easily to say it without discomfort feeling.

 

He then looked at Sulli, she shot him with an astonished gaze. He smiled when noticed how she blushed. So adorable, it was suitable word for him to describe about her now. Sulli discovered Minho’s was being noticed her blushing face, she rashly ran her eyes away.

 

“Yes, we might be dating each other in a short period of time, but our feeling for each other is instantly developed. But most of all I cannot stand to see how difficult situation she is facing, I want to share it with her with my open arms as well as well as take care of her with all of my heart.”

 

Sulli looked back at Minho without blinking. His making up story was so perfect but why she felt so happy and giddy about that, it wasn’t real oppositely it was just a lie in order to convince her mom to accept their fake marriage as in real. Her heart again was smacking her chest hastily without mercy. But why??? It was the same question again which she might be too afraid to answer it.

 

“So Eomoni! Can you give us your blessing?”

 

“I can see how sincere you are, Minho. And like I said before, I have nothing to against it but let ask your girlfriend by yourself that what answer that she’s going to give you.” Mrs. Choi said and the two pairs of eyes spontaneously fell on Sulli at the same time.

 

Sulli flustered with her Mom’s word. She pouted while set her gaze on her. But soon her eyes went to another pair of eyes, she caught him smiled sweetly at her, she can’t help but melted under that charm. Soon her lips were shown back her smile to Minho. The two were staring at each other without breaking with the same expression on their faces. Not fake but the real one.

 

They had never noticed how Sulli’s Mom smiled widely in contentment toward the them. Finally she could feel relieve that Sulli eventually found the right man for her now.

 

 

+    +    +    +

 

 

“Thank you, Minho-shi.” Sulli said with her smile. They were walking out from the hospital’s entrance and directed to Minho’s car. She took a deep breath and rolled her eyes at the bright sky when she felt them were burning. “I really have no idea what I would end up right now if I didn’t meet you.”

 

“We share the benefit, Jinri. No!! The advantage surely gains on me the most.” Minho said and then stopped walking which made Sulli dropped her red eyes on him. “You gave me a lot till I really feel so bad, realized that actually I myself did nothing for you. I’m sorry.”

 

“Silly!” Sulli smiled. “Like you said we share the benefit so we’re indeed equal. You don’t know how your helpfulness be able to pain my life brighten again, Minho. I only have my mom as a family and I really can’t effort to lose her. And that’s when you came, you give her a life and give me a soul. My life will complete again because of you. So there’s nothing to feel bad nor sorry at all, instead you are the one who make me feel awful now if you continue to feel that way.”

 

Minho chuckled. “Whatever you say, Ms. Jinri. But remember! If you face any problem or as well as botheration disturb you just come to me and let me know. I of course try my best to help you. Or if you want someone to talk with, I’m willing to be your companion any time. Well.........as a bestfriend.”

 

“Yes, as a bestfriend.” Sulli nodded and replied.

 

Done talking, they just continued walking to the parking lot where his car was. Minho was at his driver side and ready was about to enter but stopped when he heard a male voice grabbed their attention, but it wasn’t him actually.

 

“Sulli-shi?” Sulli immediately turned around to follow the source of the voice unknowingly. Her brows met when he saw that person at first but soon she smiled as she realized who he was. “Jonghyun-shi!” Sulli blurted out her surprise tone upon seeing him was waving at her.

 

She bowed and nodded her head a bit before she turned to Minho who was standing still while observing them. She looked at him in apologetic. “Please wait a minute, Minho-shi. Or it’s okay if you go ahead. I can go to my college by bus.”

 

“NO!” Minho rashly replied with his louder tone but then he fixed his voice back. “Just take your time, Jinri. I will wait for you inside.”

 

“Oh.” Sulli responded and nodded her head before she conveyed her gaze from him to Jonghyun who was away from her about a few meters. She walked toward him. “Annyeonghaseyo Jonghyun-shi.” Sulli said with a polite bow.

 

“Ne Annyeong, Sulli-shi. I thought I might be mistook you as another person. But it’s indeed you.” Jonghyun cheerfully said.

 

“Ah yeah! What a coincidence, we meet again.” Said Sulli.

 

“Ahah, right.” He smiled with his hand fondled his nape. “So you visit your mom?”

 

“Yes, but I’m about to leave now.” Sulli replied and gestured her finger to a car behind her.

 

Jonghyun followed her gesture and saw a man was staring intensely to their direction in piss. “Oh you came with your brother? Seem like he’s getting annoyed now.”

 

“Ah eh?” Sulli confused with the ‘brother’ word he remarked, but she had no chance to correct. “It’s okay, Sulli-shi. You should go now, we might be met again next time. Glad, that I see you again today.”

 

“Yes, me too. See you again.” Sulli replied and bowed a good bye in polite to him before she turned around and walked back to Minho car. Her smile still lingered on her face even after her body was facing the direction of Minho’s car already. But she was startled and swiftly faded her smile as she saw Minho was still standing beside his car or she should said that he was leaning his back on her passenger side with his hands folded.

 

“Oh, have you waited long?” Sulli asked and was a little dumbstruck. He just said that he will wait for her inside the car but right now why he was here. “I’m sorry that I made-”

 

“It’s okay.” He replied with a small smile. “Come on, get it.” He said and opened the car door for Sulli.

 

She nodded slightly before took herself in. Minho was about to walk to his side when his eyes accidentally went back to where Sulli was conversed earlier. But something wrong tickled inside him when he saw that guy still stood there with his gaze were on them. He saw him smiled and bowed his head a little to him and Minho consciously responded back before he entered his driver seat in confusion.

 

+    +    +    +

 

“Oh... Jinri! Can I ask who is he? Your friend?” Minho started the conversation. It’s been almost 5 minutes now till he decided to ask her. It was bothered him since they left the hospital. If he didn’t ask he would explode anytime soon. He knew that Sulli doesn’t have a boyfriend but who was he anyway? Studied his gaze just now he could presume thing that there’s must be something wrong behind that guy's eyes. He could tell by how he stared at Sulli whenever his eyes set on her.

 

“Ah! It’s actually not exactly. This was just the second time we met only. And what we are, I don’t know either.” Sulli answered causally.

 

“Oh. I thought that you two might be a close friend since I saw both of you were smiling a lot in that short conversation.” Minho said but never spared Sulli a look.

 

“I think it might be like that if we meet again next time because I think I somehow feel comfortable around him. And you can say that we might become friend already.” Sulli smiled.

 

Minho felt a rush annoy bother him by hearing her word. Comfortable? Friend? But later he just brushed it away knowing that he and she have been become friend already, and let’s say their relationship was way too close than that guy despite that they were actually new to each other also. Thinking at this point, didn’t know why but he felt so relieve. He smiled unconsciously and quickly changed the topic.

 

“So Jinri, on Wednesday I’ll fetch you from your place. And we will go to the hospital together.”

 

“It’s okay, Minho-shi. You no need to do that and I don’t want to disturb you either. By the way, I’m planning to spend the whole night in the hospital from tomorrow until Wednesday since I don’t want to go back and forth in that day because I want to stay with Umma for a little long before she goes through the surgery.” Sulli said.

 

“Okay if you said so. But I’ll still choose to accompany you there, Jinri. Don’t make any protestation, just hear me out, it doesn’t disturb me at all but it’s because of I want to.” Minho paused before he could drop another word. “I want to stay beside you and soothe your fear away, Jinri.”

 

Sulli quickly conveyed her eyes to him. But then she just smiled foolishly. ‘Bestfriend, Jinri. Don’t fast forget.’

 

“I actually can’t help to not worry, Minho. But somehow it can lessen bit now since I can depend on my bestfriend there. Thank you, Minho.” Sulli said and to return she earned a charming smile from Minho.

 

‘It would be really great if you can make it, Minho. I’ll be tranquil if you’re there beside me. Please keep your promise. I’ll wait for you.’

 

She then moved her head away from him and staring out of window and the silence between them were spreading since then till they reached the destination.

 

 

+    +    +    +

 

 

Sulli got prepare her belonging for her need since she’s going to spend a night at the hospital with her Mom. She zipped her bag ready to stand up. She got a hold of it and smiled before she took her step out of the single rooftop house.

 

Sulli climbed down the stairs with her old flat shoes carefully, little did she didn’t even know there was a person was waiting for her, until her eyes laid to a strange man in a neat black suit was bowing at her in the mid-afternoon. Sulli well-mannerly responded with a bow as well. Her confused look was shown all over her face to that strange man.

 

“Are you Ms. Choi Jinri?” That man asked.

 

“Yes, I am. What can I help you, sir?” Sulli replied carefully since she had never known him before.

 

The man didn’t say anything as he gestured her with a hand outstretch forward. He directed her to get out of this complex block of this old building. Sulli nodded and followed him from behind.

 

Is it was because of she was thinking too much or her instinct got it right? She started to sweat and fear began to fill up her chest when a silhouette of an unfamiliar modern car exposed in her eyes.

 

Sulli almost dropped her bag from her hold when finally the owner of the car got out and revealed an elegant woman in her late 40s. Sulli widened her eyes when she realizing who was her. Yes, her instinct got it right.

 

She was Minho’s mother.

 

Sulli respectfully bowed and then she hugged her hand while bended her head down when she felt Mrs. Choi was gave her an intense look from head to toe. She kind of felt ashamed with her clothes that attached on her body now. Yes, how could a poor living like her having one of nice clothes to show off?

 

“We meet again.” Mrs. Choi dryly said. “I’m supposed to wait you here, young girl. Can we have a talk?”

 

+    +    +    +

 

The two arrived in a cozy small Café which located along Cheongdam-dong Street. Sulli sat down with her both hands clapped together and held them tight. Mrs. Choi was sitting in front of her showing off her unreadable face to Sulli.

 

“I think you should know why I want to meet you, right?” Mrs. Choi opened the conversation. “Actually I’m supposed to meet you after the incidence happened. But I couldn’t make it since I needed time to keep calm first. And because of that I had been sick for days now.”

 

“Uh!!” Sulli worriedly alarmed. “So now are you okay, Madam?” She looked at her in apologetic eyes.

 

“No need to answer that, I think you should know already that I’m okay or not.”

 

“Joesonghamnida!!! Jeongmal joesonghamnida Madam!!” Sulli repeatedly bowed her head in guilt.

 

Mrs. Choi didn’t say anything as she heaved her heavy sigh. “Let’s forget about this. So I guess I should go straight to the point since I know you are planning to go somewhere later. Sorry to rob your times without your knowledge.”

 

“Aniyo Madam! It’s okay.” Sulli responded. Nervousness was loading and filled up her chest for every second it took.

 

“Well... I came here not because I want to harm you or what though. Plus about any question ‘when’ or ‘what’ or ‘how’ your relationship with my son, I also have no intention to interrogate either since it’s too late to talk about it now.” Mrs. Choi paused as she drank her coffee first. “But let me ask you question, you must tell me the truth because what I need from you right now is your honest. I just want you to know that I really hate the person who is lying to me.”

 

“Y-Yes Madam.” Sulli replied with her palms were sweating like hell. No need to guess, she had known about that question already. She felt really bad and it constantly increased whenever she looked straight at her face. She had no choice but to make a lie again. She didn’t want but she need to. ‘I’m really sorry, Mrs. Choi.’

 

“Umm.” Mrs. Choi nodded her head. “So for my question, are you really pregnant? And it’s really Minho’s blood?”

 

Sulli’s hands were trembling as well as her legs more even shaking. She tried to keep her breath to run in a normal pace before she opened . “Yes, Madam. I’m really pregnant and it’s Minho’s child.” Sulli finished her answer with her teeth chewed on her lower lip, totally in guilt. She shut her eyes when she heard Mrs. Choi sigh.

 

“Okay, I get it now. So........ I’ll approve it.”

 

“Mrs. Choi!” Sulli uttered and looked at her surprisingly when she almost couldn’t believe her ears.

 

“Even if I approve your both relationship but it doesn’t mean I accept you. It tells otherwise that I actually dislike you since the beginning and still I am. I do that because I feel pity about the child, it’s innocent after all.” Mrs. Choi said and her eyes went directly toward Sulli’s flat tummy, she shook her head and sighed again. “And one more thing I need to tell you, even if you have the winning card on me but Minho’s dad is not that easy to handle. I don’t think he can take it immediately and I cannot assure you either that he can be able to give in. Still you need to prepare yourself, if till the end he still doesn’t approve I also have no idea to find any other way either. So I think you understand right? That’s all what I want to say.”

 

After Mrs. Choi left, Sulli was stayed still in her place. Without knowing, she felt a hot liquid brushing her cheeks, one after another, another after another. Since when that she cried, she didn’t know. And why did she cry, she still couldn’t answer it either. She only knew that she was hurt and why again, that question made her more even unsolvable.

 

 


The next morning, Wednesday

 

“Damn it!!!” Minho cursed as soon as he woke up from his bed and saw the clock was showing 8:40am.

 

He needs to be fast and rush to the hospital. Sulli’s Mom will be transferred to the operating theater where surgical operations are carried out at exactly10am. And by the way he was planning to drop by somewhere on the way to hospital to buy the breakfast for Sulli. He knew that she must skip her meal for sure.

 

“!!!” Another cursing sound in umpteenth times was ringing inside his unit. He was ready at 9:15am.

 

After he bought the breakfast already, Minho hastily hopped in his car and driving. But in the exact time his phone was ringing. And without looked at the caller he quickly picked it up.

 

“Yoboseyo?”

 

“Oh thank, Minho that you answer my phone call.”

 

Minho frowned at the female voice on another line. It was very familiar to him but it was just that owner was too weak to speak. He could tell that, she is being sick now. But his blood was boiling quickly as soon as he recognized the voice when she started to talk again.

 

“What do you want again, Kim Jiwon?” Minho roared through out the line.

 

“Minho......” Her voice was too soft and unenergetic, it was almost inaudible. “Can you come over? I-I think I’m not feeling well now.”

 

“Mwo??” Minho started to feel a pang of concern. “Hey, are you okay?”

 

“Minho.... I-I-”

 

Tit...Tit...Tit.... The line suddenly was cut off.

 

“Yoboseyo..... Yoboseyo, Jiwon. Aish!!!” Minho realized that the line was dead. He cursed again and roughly threw his phone to the other passenger seat beside him.

 

Without thinking twice Minho turned his car around. In a split second, he forgot all everything include his promise to Sulli. At that moment only Jiwon’s safety existed in his mind.

 

+    +    +    +

 

Sulli was walking along with the rolling bed which her Mom was being laying while her hand was holding her Mom’s hand. Sulli tried to purse her lip to control her emotion.

 

“Mom! It’s gonna be alright. I’ll wait for you outside, hmm? We still have a lot of things to do when you wake up. So you must try to fight for it, Umma.”

 

“Yes dear.” She held Sulli’s cheek. “Don’t cry, baby. Umma will be okay and I’ll try my best to fight for it.” She replied her daughter. Then her eyes turned to everywhere around them. “Where is Minho?”

 

The question made Sulli shook mentally. Since his Mom came to meet her yesterday till now Minho hasn’t shown himself to her yet. But she still believes that he will stand for his promise that he’ll come. It’s just that he must be having something caught up on the way here. He will come. Sulli tried to console herself.

 

“He just called that he will be late a little, Umma. Don’t worry.” She lied and forcefully showed her Mom an assuring smile.

 

“Sorry, Ms. You can’t allow going in.” A nurse said and stopped Sulli’s body.

 

Sulli just smiled for the last time to her Mom before she released her hold. Her blurry eyes was viewing the nurses was rolling the bed into the Operating room until the door was completely closed.

 

Sulli dropped herself on the hospital bench. Her body was trembling while her hand clenched tightly on the hem of her jacket. She tried to control her breath and kept calm but it wasn’t easy when she was being alone. Her eyes frequently conveyed to the entrance at the end of corridor. She wished that Minho could be appeared any time soon. But it looked like she had waited forever.

 

1min turned to 5min and continued to 10min till 1hour that was like a hell to Sulli passed through.

 

“Minho! Where are you? You’ll come, right? You promised already that you will stay beside me and soothe my fear away.” Sulli said while her tears were uncontrollable now.

 

‘He’ll come. I know he’ll come.’

 

 

 

To be continued.....


End of Chapter 5. How was it, dear? Thank so much for subscribing, upvoting and commenting, I value that a lot.

You're all, my beloved readers, I love you.

I'll update soon :-)