My Purpose Is Vengeance

The Sweetest Revenge

 

            “Annyeonghaseyo, So Nyuh Shi Dae nimida!” SNSD chorused, perfectly in unison.

            “Annyeonghaseyo, 2PM nimida!” the members of 2PM responded, much less synchronized than the other group was. There was a moment of silence as the members of the two groups studied each other. Then they all burst into laughter.

            The maknaes, Yoona and Seohyun, who had not laughed alongside the others, looked at them in puzzlement. Jessica explained, “Other than the two of you, all of us were in the same school since high school.” Comprehension sparked in the maknaes eyes. So they all knew each other!

            “But who’s the newcomer?” Jessica asked, looking directly at Wooyoung who was hovering around at the back of 2PM.

            Taeyeon’s smile faded visibly as her eyes met his. Jay dragged Wooyoung out to the front and patted his head with a grin, “This is our leader Wooyoung. I don’t think most of you know him; he was with us boys in middle school, but left the country just before high school.”

            The other girls nodded understandingly. Taeyeon studiously avoided Wooyoung’s gaze, while Tiffany stood by one side, as if trying to remain inconspicuous.

            Just then, the managers of 2PM and SNSD strode into the practice room. The SNSD manager cleared his throat. When he was sure he had everyone’s attention, he began to speak, “As JYP and SM have discussed, this will be a joint project involving both SNSD and 2PM. Under this project, you will take part in activities such as variety shows and dramas together, and appear in each other’s MVs. Your individual schedules will be handed to you in a few days. Any questions?”

            There were none. The 2PM manager gave a nod, “Good. We’ll give you this time to interact with each other, since you’ll be cooperating for many months to come.” With that, the two managers left the room.

            “Well.” Taecyeon gave a laugh. His eyes kept straying to Yoona, whom, along with Seohyun, was the only members he did not know personally, “So we need to…interact.”

            “Um…why don’t we showcase our talents to each other…?” Jay suggested. The others quickly agreed to his suggestion.

            As Jay prepared his solo dance, Wooyoung rose, stretching, and left the room, telling s he needed the toilet.

            Taeyeon hesitated, watching him go. She had never felt so guilty, so uncertain in her life.

            Tiffany, noticing her best friend’s indecision, grasped her hand tightly. Taeyeon turned to her in surprise. Tiffany gave her a sad little smile and told her, “Go to him. Find out what’s wrong with him. Perhaps that will help you more than just sitting here.”

            Taeyeon wavered for a moment. Then, biting her lip, she rose too and left the room.

           Seohyun noticed her unnie leaving the room and whispered to Tiffany, “Where’s Taeyeon going?” Her questioning look changed to one of confusion when Tiffany answered, “To make up with an old friend.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

            Taeyeon wandered around the place aimlessly, searching for her former best friend. Finally she found him, standing outside the building and staring out at the street. She walked out to stand behind him and watched him silently.

            Wooyoung ran a hand through his hair and stated, “I know you’re there.” He turned around to face her, a small smile on his face.

            Taeyeon took an involuntary step back. Something in his face looked different. She forced a smile, “It’s been a long time.”

            Wooyoung’s eyes lowered, “Yes it has.” The silence between them stretched. Finally, Taeyeon asked softly, “Where did you go? And why? Why did you leave? Was it...was it because of what I said…?”

            Wooyoung looked up, an unconscious sneer on his face, “Because of what you said? How can you even ask me that?” He took a step forward, fierce and angry, “Yes. Yes, it was because of what you said. And I hate you for it. I would’ve done anything for you, and yet you– ” his voice broke off abruptly, and he looked away again.

            Taeyeon’s heart nearly broke at his words. Even though she had known as much, she had not wanted to admit it.  She opened to speak, but Wooyoung interrupted her, his voice cold as ice, “You didn’t think I came back just to reconcile with you, did you?” At his words, Taeyeon froze. Wooyoung’s smile was twisted as he informed her matter-of-factly, “I’ve returned for revenge. I’ll make you suffer just as much as I suffered then. I’ll take you dreams and wreck them.” With that, he strode past her, back into the building.

            Taeyeon was left standing there, tears glistening in her eyes. All at once, she realised the difference in his face. It was no different from that of the change in his eyes. All playfulness had gone out of it, only to be replaced by hatred and anger. Jang Wooyoung had finally returned, but he was no longer the same person.