Chapter 16

Is it too late?

She was all he could think about that day. It was Saturday afternoon, a day before his birthday. She was the first one calling him and wishing him a happy birthday and he was more than glad to hear her voice again. He appreciated that she rememered him even though it wasn't exactly his birthday in New York. He was sitting on his terrace watching the sun slowly drifting away. The city of New York was covered with orange and yellow colors, as the blue sky was turning red, like fire. 

The second birthday away from home. It was difficult celebrating the first time without Heechul's birthday prank he always does, without Jessica's visit early in the morning, waking him up with a birthday breakfast. Most of all, it was difficult celebrating his birthday without Tiffany. She would always surprise him with little things and he was her only occupation that day. He never liked the attention since his father was always the biggest topic in Seoul but when it comes to her, he couldn't say no to anything she offered. This time it will be hard too, especially after he heard that she wasn't okay, not at all and he couldn't do anything about it, just to sit here and worry if she'll be okay.

Distance. Something that Siwon hated from the bottom of his heart. He hated every single mile that was between him and her. Sure, he missed Heechul and Jessica a lot, his mother, sister, but... Tiffany was the one capturing his mind. Some people might say he's crazy for being a hopeless romantic when it comes to her, and he knows in the bottom of his heart that the story he had with her was long gone. Just a beautiful memory. But that doesn't mean he stopped caring about her.

He still remembers the promise he gave to her. If he hurts her and makes her cry, he'll pay. She was something special for him and watching her getting married to another man still hurts him but he never talks about it. She became his sweet secret when it comes to feelings. Since he came to New York, he was known as the son of a big CEO in South Korea and girls tried to impress him. He was a gentleman and hang with them but there wasn't anything serious wih anyone, just , no emotions involved. He always had that cold appearance which the ladies adored and he never actually talked about his past and life in Korea except that he has family and friends there. 

He was watching the sun slowly dissapearing behind the tall buildings of The Big Apple, all alone. He met a lot of great people in the company but they weren't Heechul, Jessica and his other friends, but hey, they were funny and nice, he needed to cut some slack and not be too cold to them.

He was observing the view of the city as the night was coming. The city lights were clowly turning on and the city slowly was waking and ready to party. Saturdays in New York were crowded and it truly ws the city that never sleeps. And Siwon was one of the people who won't be sleeping tomorrow. He didn't had the will to go out, instead, he decided to wait for midnight to tick alone with his thoughts.

Why was he still like this. Not being able to continue his life like she did. He was afraid that he'll be like this for a long time and he was afraid that he won't love anyone as he loved her. Actually, he still does. Every mistake he did when he was with her was now slowly coming back to him and he now fully regrets it but, what does his unsaid words now mean to anyone? He couldn't do anything now. 

It's been two years since he left with a heavy heart and nothing big changed. He still misses her and he drowns his pain in women and alcohol. He was depratly trying to find her in every girl he's been with but there wasn't anyone like her. Tiffany was something... big to him, something precious. He was at the same spot for two years, still thinking how happy they would be together if he hadn't been so stupid. He tries to find help and solution in other women but the cold and harsh truth was that she ws the only thing that can save him.

She was hurt now and he was heartbroken hearing that. During the years they were together he remembers being horrible towrds her, he made her cry so many times but she never gave up on him, she fought and tried to save whatever it could be saved. He was young, he didn't take her too seriously and he was stubborn. He now realises that everything he needs, craves for is her. Unfortunately, she was past now. A beautiful past.

He felt useless sitting here, not being to be with her, comfort her, make her smile. He wished he could just go back home, but this was the best for both of them. The saddest part was that it was okay for her, she had her husband and now she has problems with him and that's something that's bothering Siwon. He on the other hand didn't change. His feelings didn't change a bit. He was a hopeless case and he knew it.

Hours were passing and soon it ticked midnight. The city was alive but he wasn't. He was dying inside, slowly. He felt a vibration in his pocket. The birthday calls were now coming.

He saw Heechul's ID on the screen. A bright spot. 

"Hey birthday boy!" he heard a familiar voice.

"Hi Heechul, what are you doing up?" he chuckled sipping his drink.

"I had to wish you a happy birthday! Yah, when are you going to visit us?" 

"Soon, I hope next month." 

"Well you better arrive soon, we all miss you!" 

"I miss you too. Wait, are you drunk, since when do you say you miss me?" 

"Me? Drunk? C'mon Siwon-ah. I'm just celebrating your birthday here." 

"That's nice to hear. How's everybody?"

"You mean Tiffany! Ah you can't trick me." Heechul laughed.

"I talked with her, don't worry." 

"She called you already? She talks about you a lot you know." Heechul said, already feeling where this conversation is leading.

"Really?"

"Yeah, all the time. She misses you." he confessed.

"Well, I miss her too, you know that." Siwon said.

They talked for a little while, updating each other about their lives and what's new. After he was done with Heechul, Siwon continued to drink and watch the beautiful New York view. The night was young, people were having fun and there was him. Still stuck in the past, heartbroken, missing her more than ever tonight.