Only You

Children of the Night

Play, Listen, & Read

I awoken when the car abruptly came to a halt, lightly shaking me. We were at a gas station, people staring in our direction, judging and criticizing Yifan as he stepped outside. His eyes glazed over mine on his way to the station, staring straight into the black tint, finding my eyes, as he held the pump. My heart rate excelled, reaching to touch the whites of the clouds. Why have I become nervous around him? Where were the others taking me and will I be safe? He spared a brief second to glance at the jumbling numbers on a small, yellow screen that read the fuel and gallons. He was filling the tank completely. 
"How long have you known him?" Jongdae broke the silence, slightly making me jump that someone was watching us. My cheeks burned scarlet. 
"Forever. He was always there for all I could remember." Even though my answer was sincere, it was cheesy and cliche for a bystander to hear. "How have you been? I haven't seen you around school as much as I used to." Then I finally turned to glaze at Jongdae for the first time in awhile. 
"Everything is stressful, especially it's hard on Yifan," he spoke frankly. "Now, we really have to watch our backs."
"Can you tell me where we're going?" I was hoping at least he would answer just one question that could extinguish many others. 
He hesitated, wondering if it would be the wise thing to do with such a great piece of acknowlding the location. I could escape for all he knew, but it was trust that would be doubting him. "China." 
"W-Why so far-"
"Jongdae, could you drive for the rest?" Yifan opened the door, interupting me in mid-sentence, pleading with eyes I've seen many times. He would beg for forgiveness, plead for just one hug, whine over something that wasn't intended to be a big deal. He was a little boy at heart. 
"Sure, stay in the back with Jaewa." 
They swapped seats, Jongdae alertly driving us to a different country, Yifan in the back holding me tenderly in his arms, laying generous amounts of kisses on me erratically slow. His hands were knotted around me, securing me closer to his warmth. I enjoyed every ticking second, he knew that in an unpredictable situation as this, affection was the best factor to calm someone. When a child wails after his mother that was preoccupied with something, she comes rushing at the sound of her precious life, showing their children with affection would reassure them that everything was going to be alright. Everything was going to be alright as long as I was snuggled in Yifan's arms. My troubles and rambling thoughts suddenly halted, my attention was focused on him; he was doing the same. He was pondering the same thoughts as I was: Was she going to be safe with our guidence? Was she going to be truly happy with this decision? 
I noticed a tiny movement in the front, Jongdae plugging his headphones into his phone and sliding them to hover over his ears. He was complying a favor, he was allowing us some privacy. The car turned right, back onto the main road, passing other cars' flashing their lights. 
"Yifan," I breathed. "Why are you doing this?" 
"..Because I've fallen in love with you."