Box of Secrets

Start of Something New
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 14: Box of Secrets

18 years ago

Exactly a month after Sulli was born and after Hanjae died, Minjeong and Jinah decided to visit Hanjae’s house to get the box she asked them to keep before she died. 4 year-old Jonghyun came with them, although he was young enough to understand some things, he was able to reason them out, he’s actually a smart kid of his age.

“Appa, omma, why are we here at baby Sulli’s mom’s house?” little Jonghyun asked. Yes, he knew for the fact that Sulli’s mom is different from his and Taemin.

“We’re here to get something, son” Jinah explained just when Minjeong arrived carrying a box, it was brown and it looks old.

“What’s that appa?” he asked pointing out the box as Minjeong opened it, it was full of unopened letters, pictures, flowers and little stuffs inside. Jinah and Jonghyun went out of the room first for they thought Minjeong needs some space to read some personal matters and so they decided to stop in a nearby convenience store.

Minjeong then saw a couple picture of…..

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

His adopted brother, Jihoon and Hanjae looking all so lovey-dovey in couple shirts… He checked on the date and it was dated May 27, 1994……exactly 2 days before Jihoon went missing. His heart beats faster, eyes widening, with trembling hands he gets the letter beside it, dated May 29, 1994, the day Jihoon was allegedly reported missing.

Jihoon,

I know you’re in Jeju for some company matters right now. But we just want you to know how much we want to see you already. We miss you so much! Make sure to go home safely! We love you always and forever!!!

Sincerely,

Hanjae

He was wondering why she used the word “we” and a thought struck his mind that maybe, she was already carrying Sulli that time and it may also mean that Jihoon is the real father of Sulli. He then read another letter, it was unopened and so he decided to open it and to his surprise, he saw an ultrasound picture and a letter inside.

Jihoon-appa,

They say you’re dead, some say you’re nowhere to be found. But we would not lose our hope appa. By the way, this is my first ever picture! I’m excited to see you and omma real soon. I love you appa!!!

Love,

Your unborn baby girl

Minjeong sheds tears as he read the letter, it was touching and he felt really bad for Sulli and Hanjae, they were longing for his brother so much. He decided to keep the box and open it again when the right time comes, when Sulli asks him about some things regarding her real identity. It was the time when he decided to close it but he found a letter addressed to him and so he opened and read it.

Minjeong-ssi,

I’m so sorry, I ruined your family……it was all because of my selfish desires. By this time, I guess you have read almost everything and I thank you for that. You know, a million thank you won’t be enough to show my gratitude to you and your wife.

 Let me tell you the reason why I pretended that you’re Sulli’s father, it was all because I knew I had an incurable disease and I can’t raise her well, and to add on that, his father is nowhere to be found. I’m not saying that it was his fault that our daughter would be suffering, it was my fault.

I’m so sorry, I guess our little angel resembles a lot like her father, right? I wish I was there to fulfill my duties as a mother, but here I am transferring my rights and duties to you and Jinah. I’m so sorry that I didn’t had the courage and most especially the time to explain everything but I hope through this box, you’ll eventually understand my concerns. You might be shocked of everything and confused on what’s really happening and I’m really really sorry for all my mistakes.

I believe Jihoon is still alive and once he comes back, he’ll be the one to tell you everything from our relationship and until the day he went missing. I hope you’ll patiently wait for his return. Don’t worry, I’ll be here up above in heaven to guide you all.

 

With sincerity,

Hanjae

 

He was completely shocked of the sudden revelations but truth to be told, he was actually preparing himself for some revelations when Hanjae asked them to keep something. He fetched Jinah and Jonghyun at the convenience store and went home.

 

-

 

Present Time

Minho woke up early and so with the extra keys Sulli gave him last night, he decided to sneak in to her room and at least make some breakfast. After cooking some bacon and eggs, he decided to stop by Sulli’s bedroom and he just stood there staring at her sleeping body when suddenly he heard someone knocking at the door, he eventually opened it and was surprised to see Jonghyun…… Choi Jonghyun……

“Hyung” was the word he can only say

“What’s up, Minho? Why are you here early in the morning?” he asked completely sarcastic at least for his ears.

“Uhmmm…because…..I… I dropped for a visit” he stuttered

“Oh I see, now where is she?”” he asked

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter