A good friend's wish

PinoKyo

 

At a place, far from Kyo’s village, there was a boy who always cried before he went to bed. He was missing his best friend badly.

“Kyo-ya… Are you happy now?” The boy named Eric spoke while looking out the window. “I hope you are. Because that’s what I wished for you.” Eric lied down on the bed, and tried hard to sleep. But the memories with Kyo had never left his mind. Not even for one second.

 

Flashback (spin-off from Chapter 7)

 

“Kyo?” Eric was surprised seeing Kyo under his bed. But he was even surprised when he realized Kyo had turned back into a wooden doll. He felt sorry for Kyo. He knew Kyo was supposed to leave, that was what his letter said. And seeing Kyo still at his house, but as a doll, Eric suspected something was wrong. Something had gone wrong. Eric grabbed Kyo and took him to his bed. “Kyo, what happened to you?” Eric asked. “Why did you turn back into a doll?” Eric hugged Kyo tightly. “Is it because you didn’t want to leave me? I’m sorry for what had happened to you. But I promised I will not leave you now that you’re not human anymore.”

Eric treated Kyo as normal as he could. He talked to Kyo, told stories to him, read books to him, played with him, slept with him, and not forgetting to peck his cheek each night before he went to sleep.

“Kyo, do you want me to read to you?” Eric asked. He grabbed a story book and put Kyo on his lap before he started reading. “Beauty and the Beast.” When the story ended, Eric sniffled. “They got their happy ending, Kyo. You used to cry when I ended my story. I missed it.” He hugged his doll. “I missed you Kyo. What should I do to turn you back into a real boy?” Eric cried. “Do I need to wish again?” Eric looked outside the window and stared at the night sky. “Kyo-ya, there are no stars tonight.” Eric cried again. “I’ll try again tomorrow okay? Don’t worry.” Eric lied down on the bed and put Kyo next to him. “Goodnight Kyo.” He pecked Kyo’s cheek, and went to sleep.

Eric admitted even though Kyo was still with him, he felt lonely. But he knew he shouldn’t be selfish. Kyo’s happiness was the most important. After a couple of weeks being with the wooden Kyo, Eric purposely avoided him, so that he wouldn’t feel too attached to Kyo, like he used to be. He even came home late. And when he came home from school, he would glance at the wooden doll on his bed, to make sure he was fine. Then he went to do his homework. That was his routine for the next days.

“Hey Kyo.” Eric suddenly spoke as he lied down on his bed. “I missed you.” He faked a smile at the doll. “I got many friends now. It’s all thanks to you.” Eric tried to calm himself down. “You notice that I always came home late right? They invited me to play together.” Eric cursed himself for lying. Suddenly they heard Eric’s mother calling him. “I need to go. My friends are here.” Eric then left the room, leaving the wooden doll on his bed. He was lying because his mother called him for it was time for dinner.

After dinner, he didn’t go back to his room. Instead, he went to the backyard, and stared at the night sky. There were lots of stars that night. Eric was thinking of a wish. This time, it would be a little different than what he had been wishing for the past nights. He took a deep breath, his eyes fixed on one star that was shining brightly. Even before he spoke anything, his tears had fallen.

“I know Kyo is actually a real boy. From the way he talked, laughed, everything, I know. He was cursed right? And he is supposed to go home because he has granted my wish. He has been a very good friend. And I’m happy being with him, thankful for having him in my life. But why is he still here? I am happy that he’s still here. But why did he turn back into a doll? Why? Did he do something wrong? Did I do something wrong? Please turn him back into a real boy. Please. I’m not asking this for myself. I’m asking this for him. I know he is not happy right now. Please. If he stays here only because of me, please send him home. Please. I beg you. Please grant my wish. Please. I love him too much to let him stay with me like this. Please. Please. Please.”

Eric was kneeling on the ground, crying hard while looking up at the night sky. His heart was breaking at each word he had said. But he knew it was the best. Kyo needed to leave to be happy. And all Eric had ever wanted was Kyo’s happiness.

He was now sitting on the ground, still staring at the sky. His cry had stopped, leaving him with puffy eyes. Suddenly, he saw a bright light flashing in front of him. He blinked his eyes, but the light had disappeared. Eric felt something had happened, for his heart was beating rapidly. He then ran to his room and swung the door opened.

“Kyo?” He called. The moment his eyes landed on his empty bed, he knew. Once again, Kyo was gone. And this time, Kyo was gone for good. Eric walked to the window and looked up at the sky. He started crying again. “I hope Kyo will be happy, and he won’t forget me.” Eric wiped his fallen tears and smiled, as sincere as he could, while looking at the beautiful night sky. “Kyo, please don’t forget me. Because I won’t forget you. Ever.” He was sad. But deep inside his heart, he knew this was the best for both of them. “I promise I’ll look for you someday.” Eric then lied on the bed, pretending Kyo was still next to him, and closed his puffy red eyes to sleep. “Goodnight Kyo. I hope I’ll see you in my dreams.” His tears kept on falling until he fell asleep.


 

 


A/N: Double updates because I felt bad for the two characters. Sorry guys... :(