Leaving

PinoKyo

 

A week had passed since the first day Eric came to Kyo’s house. One morning, Kyo was on his way to feed the horses when he saw Eric’s parents talking about something serious with his parents in the study room.

“We’re leaving tomorrow morning.” Kyo heard his uncle spoke, and he couldn’t believe it. He tried hard to shrug it off.

“Kyo!” Eric shouted the moment Kyo stepped into the stable. “Uncle Jihoon was just showing me how to clean the horses.” Kyo walked closer and snatched the brush from Eric’s hand.

“Why do you even care about these horses?” Kyo started brushing the horses himself. Eric noticed Kyo’s gloomy face.

“Is there something wrong?” Eric asked. Kyo ignored the question and just focused on brushing the horse. “Kyo, I’m talking to you.” Kyo sighed.

“Why didn’t you tell me you’re leaving so soon? I thought you’re going to stay here the whole summer!” Kyo was angry; he didn’t even look at Eric.

“Where did you get that idea?” Eric calmly asked.

“What idea? About you staying here for the whole summer?” Kyo shouted. “I just know!” Kyo threw away the brush and ran out of the stable. He should’ve known better that Eric would eventually leave him. But he had never thought it would be this soon. He stopped at a tree and climbed up. Whenever he was feeling angry or frustrated, that was where he would stay to cool down. But this time, he was more sad than angry. Eric was going to leave tomorrow.

“Kyo! Where are you?” Eric shouted. Kyo hid himself among the branches and leaves as Eric was walking closer to the tree. “Kyo-ya!” Eric called again, and Kyo started crying. He covered his mouth with his hand. “Kyo, you’ve promised you won’t leave me…” Kyo wiped the tears that streaming down his cheeks. Eric didn’t notice Kyo was up on the tree, so he then walked back to the stable, hoping that Kyo would eventually come home.

It was almost lunch time and Kyo’s stomach was grumbling. He looked around the area. When he saw no one, he jumped onto the ground and hurriedly made his way back home. To his luck, no one was in the living room too, so he ran upstairs. Seeing Eric’s room door opened, he peeked inside the room. Eric wasn’t there. Kyo noticed the room was neat and clean, he knew it was because Eric was going to leave. Suddenly he saw a piece of paper on the table. Kyo picked it up and read.

To: Lee Minwoo

Minbong-ah! I missed you so much! I missed little Sunho too! How are you? Did you have fun this past week?

I had so much fun! And it can’t be described in writings. Hehehe.

Minwoo-ya… I can’t wait to see you again.

“Kyo?” Kyo startled hearing Eric who was at the door. “What are you doing?” Eric asked, but he knew Kyo was reading the letter.

“This is the proof that you’re leaving me soon. What are you going to say now??” Kyo shouted as he showed the letter to Eric. The older boy didn’t know why his cousin was behaving like this. He just stood still at the door. Not getting any response, Kyo put down the letter and stomped his feet out of Eric’s room.

“Kyo.” Eric grabbed Kyo’s hand. “What’s wrong with you?” He asked calmly. But Kyo didn’t answer; he tried hard to free his hand from Eric’s grip. When Eric eventually let go, Kyo ran to his room and slammed the door shut. Eric could hear Kyo crying from outside. His heart broke.

 

Kyo had locked himself for hours. He didn’t want to see Eric; but deep inside his heart, he was hoping that Eric would come to console him.

“Ahh I’m just being selfish.” He said to himself. It was already dinner time, and yet no one even came looking for him. He sighed and forced himself to just sleep.

“Kyo…” Eric called from outside the door. Kyo’s heart was telling him to open the door and let Eric in, but his mind didn’t agree. “I brought food.” His stomach started grumbling. “I know you’re hungry. Open the door please.” Minutes passed, and Kyo still didn’t open the door. Eric gave up. “I put your food on the floor. Don’t forget to eat okay?” Eric then left.

When Kyo was sure Eric had gone, he carefully opened the door and brought the food tray inside. Eric was right about him being hungry. After he finished the food, he wanted to put back the tray outside his room. To his surprise, Eric was sitting there, outside the door. Kyo froze the moment their gazes met. He waited for the older boy to speak, but Eric just stayed still, his eyes boring through Kyo’s soul. Tears started falling down the younger boy’s cheeks.

“Kyo…” Eric called as he stood up to face his cousin. He was frustrated seeing the boy crying without any apparent reason. Feeling guilty, he pulled Kyo into his embrace. “I’m sorry for whatever I’ve done.” Eric whispered; his hand Kyo’s back. But Kyo only cried harder. Slowly, Eric brought Kyo inside the room and closed the door. “Kyo-ya, is this because you think I’m going to leave you?” Kyo nodded. “I’m sorry, Kyo. I’m really sorry.”

“Do you really have to go?” Kyo asked in between his sobs.

“I’m afraid so.” Eric didn’t know what else he should do to make Kyo stop crying.

“But you’ve promised you won’t ever leave me.”

“I know. I’m sorry Kyo. I truly am sorry.”

Kyo was still crying even though Eric led him to the bed. The older boy carefully helped his cousin lied down and covered him with the blanket. Kyo turned his back to Eric and continued crying. Feeling hopeless, Eric settled beside Kyo and grabbed a book from the table to read. And he was surprised when he saw it was his missing book.

“Read to me.” Kyo said when he heard Eric flipping pages of a book. Eric smiled upon the request. He took a deep breath and started reading.

“The Little Mermaid. Once upon a time …” Eric kept on reading when Kyo had stopped crying. Every time he stumbled upon the name of the prince, he changed it into ‘the handsome Prince ERIC’ on purpose, and it made Kyo giggled. Eric felt relieved. “The end.” Eric then looked at Kyo; the younger boy was now sleeping while hugging him tight. Eric put the book away and pecked Kyo’s cheek before he closed his eyes to sleep.

In his heart, he was hoping that everything would go on smoothly tomorrow.