The Lee brothers

PinoKyo

 

After a few months, Eric had finally gotten over Kyo. He still missed his best friend, but he knew he needed to move on with his life. If God permitted, they would somehow meet again someday. That was what keeping Eric sane the past months.

“Hey Eric!” Eric turned behind when he heard someone calling him.

“Hey!” He smiled at his friend, but Minwoo suddenly jumped on Eric's back, choking his neck. “Hey!!!” Minwoo just laughed seeing Eric’s face. When he heard Eric’s cough, he let go and grinned evilly.

“Let’s go to my house today!” Minwoo spoke as he put his arm on Eric’s shoulder.

“Why? What else could we do at your house other than playing?” Eric asked ignorantly.

“My Dad bought a new bicycle, for me!” Minwoo answered, his face beamed with delight.

“You’re that happy huh?” Minwoo nodded. “Okay. Let’s go?” Minwoo immediately pulled Eric away out of the school compound. When they arrived at Minwoo’s house, a little boy ran out of the door and hugged Eric’s legs. “Hello little Sunho.” Eric lifted the boy up.

“Sunho-ya, he’s not your brother. I am.” Minwoo spoke, but earned no response from the two. “Aishh.” Minwoo walked into his house, leaving his three-year-old brother with his best friend.

“Sunho-ya, you missed me?” Eric asked the little boy while pinching his cheek. The boy pouted. “I missed you too.” Eric hugged the little boy, and suddenly he missed someone else so bad. “I missed you too Kyo.” He whispered. Sunho just giggled in Eric’s embrace.

“Eric-ah! You said you want to play with me?” Minwoo shouted from the living room. Eric laughed and brought Sunho inside the house.

“I never said that.” Eric answered, and Minwoo pouted. “Besides, playing with your brother is more fun.”

“Mom!” Minwoo shouted. “Please take Sunho away from my friend.” Eric laughed while still holding Sunho in his arms. Then their mother came from the kitchen and took the little boy from Eric.

“Sorry Aunty.” Eric smiled at Minwoo’s mother.

“Don’t be. He’s just being himself.” Minwoo’s mother spoke, earning a glare from Minwoo. Seeing Eric laughed again, Minwoo grabbed Eric’s hand and brought him to the backyard.

“Hey. I was talking to your mother.”

“And now you’re talking to me.” Minwoo pouted again.

“Fine. So where’s your new bicycle?” Eric’s question turned Minwoo from pouting to smiling. Eric smiled too.

“Here! Cool huh? Let’s go for a ride!” Minwoo got on the bicycle and waited for Eric. But the latter didn’t come. “What?”

“I’m taller than you. So I’ll ride, and you stand at the back.” Eric spoke as he crossed his arms on his chest. Minwoo knew he couldn’t object, so he moved and gave space to Eric. The two boys rode around the neighborhood, enjoying the cool evening breeze. When they reached Eric’s house, Eric stopped.

“What? You want to go home now?” Minwoo asked, confused. But Eric just stayed still, as he stared at his room window.

“I missed you…” He muttered while looking at the window, slightly hoping his former best friend would stand behind it, waving his hands at him. But it was impossible, for his best friend had gone away for good.

“Eric-ah, your friend still hasn’t come back?” Minwoo asked the sad Eric. “You missed him that bad?” Eric nodded. “Don’t worry. You can always wish upon the stars. Who knows this time you’d see him again?” Minwoo patted Eric’s back.

“No Minwoo. I’ve promised I won’t wish again. But I’ll look for him myself.” Eric spoke, determined. He then started pedaling and continued bringing Minwoo around the neighborhood with the new bicycle. ‘Kyo-ya, Minwoo is my new best friend. But he won’t replace you, because you’ll forever be my number one best friend,’ Eric thought to himself.

After half an hour riding around the neighborhood, Eric rode home to Minwoo’s house. While Minwoo was parking his bicycle at the backyard, Eric went to see little Sunho.

“Sunho-ya, can I hug you again?” The little boy nodded, and Eric quickly lifted him up. “I missed you so much.” He spoke as he hugged the little boy. Hearing Sunho giggled, Eric smiled. He knew he was not hugging his doll, but a real human boy. Eric then put Sunho down and waited for Minwoo. “Minwoo-ya, see you at school tomorrow.” He spoke when he saw Minwoo appeared from the back door.

“Okay. Be careful Eric.” Minwoo waved as Eric walked out of the house.

“Bye Eric hyung.” Little Sunho spoke, earning a glare from his brother.

“Mom! Sunho speaks to Eric, but not to me!” Eric just laughed hearing Minwoo’s complaint. He then continued walking to his house. And once again when he looked at his room window, his heart broke.

“I may have gotten over you, but I will never forget you Kyo.” Eric sighed and walked into his house. Seeing his empty room would always stung his heart, but he had endured this long, he would not want to give up. Not now.

During dinner, his father made an announcement.

“It’s summer soon. So my sister invited us to her house next month!” His mother applauded hearing the news.

“Aunty Hyesun?” Eric asked, and his father nodded. Eric’s face immediately brightened. “Will Uncle Jihoon be there too?”

“I think so.”

“Yahoo. I can’t wait!” Eric exclaimed as he clapped his hands, excited upon hearing he would be seeing his favorite uncle and aunt again. “It has been years since I last saw Aunty Hyesun though. I wonder if she still remembers me.”

“Son, Uncle Jihoon always updated her about our family. So don’t worry about it. I’m sure the moment we reach their house; you’ll be the first person Hyesun looks for.” His father spoke, and Eric smiled.

Since hearing the good news, Eric couldn’t stop smiling. He had not seen his aunt for years; he wondered how she was doing. But his uncle on the other hand, always came to visit. Even though he was not his real uncle, but being in-laws, he treated Eric like his own nephew. That night, Eric went to sleep with a smile lingered on his face. And for once, he fell asleep without thinking about his best friend, Kyo.