A new beginning

PinoKyo

(Continuation from Chapter 4)

 

Kyo woke up hearing Eric shouting in the room. He called Eric, but Eric didn’t seem to hear him. Eric kept on calling for Kyo, and Kyo felt like crying. Kyo looked around him, and saw he was under the bed. He could see Eric’s feet, running in and out of the room, as if looking for something.

“Is he looking for me? Why didn’t he see me? Eric! I’m right here! Under your bed!” Kyo shouted. Even after a while, Eric didn’t come to him. He started to feel scared. When Eric finally crouched down to look under the bed, Kyo was relieved. He saw Eric’s face; he was shocked and worried. But when Eric got up and left the bed, Kyo’s heart stopped beating. “He didn’t see me?” Kyo asked himself. He tried to move his body. That was when Kyo realized, he was back to his wooden self. He started crying.

“Pilkyo, you have asked another wish. And since you have been nice towards Eric, I would gladly grant this one. Yes, you can stay with Eric. But you have to be your wooden self. If that is okay with you, if you are ready for this, only then Eric could see you. If you are not, and you want to go home to see your parents, I will take you away from here, and you would never see Eric again.”

Kyo was torn apart. Why would he need to choose again? He was hoping it had already been chosen for him, but no. Now he knew what people meant when they said life is about making decision for yourself. He took a deep breath after he had made up his mind. Suddenly, he heard Eric’s crying voice coming closer to the bed.

“Kyo?” Eric once again looked under the bed. And he was shocked seeing Kyo there, in his wooden form. Eric grabbed Kyo and took him to his bed. “Kyo, what happened to you?” Eric asked, still crying. “Why did you turn back into a doll?” Eric hugged Kyo tightly. “Is it because you didn’t want to leave me?” Kyo felt his heart broke. How could Eric know about what he felt? “I’m sorry for what had happened to you. But I promise I will not leave you now that you’re not human anymore.”

 

Since that fateful Tuesday morning, Eric had never left Kyo’s side; except when he needed to go to school. Nothing much had changed, for Eric still treated Kyo as his best friend.

“Kyo, do you want me to read to you?” Eric asked. A few seconds later, he grabbed a story book and put Kyo on his lap. “Beauty and the Beast.” Eric spoke as he turned to the first page. He started reading the book out loud, while at times glanced at his wooden doll. When the story ended, Eric sniffled. “They got their happy ending, Kyo.” Then Eric laughed. “You used to cry when I ended my story. I missed it.” He put the book away and hugged his doll. “I missed you Kyo. What should I do to turn you back into a real boy?” Eric cried. Kyo was crying too; and he didn’t know the answer to Eric’s question. “Do I need to wish again?” Eric looked outside the window and stared at the night sky. “Kyo-ya, there are no stars tonight.” Eric cried again. “I’ll try again tomorrow okay? Don’t worry.” Eric lied down on the bed and put Kyo next to him. “Goodnight Kyo.” He pecked Kyo’s cheek, and went to sleep. But Kyo was still silently crying.

 

A few weeks had passed. Eric seemed to have accepted the fact that his best friend had turned into a wooden doll, and might never turn back into a human boy. Kyo noticed the changes in Eric. Before this, he would be the first thing Eric looked for when he returned from school. Now, Eric would always come home late. And when he was home, he would do his homework and read some books, without speaking a word to Kyo. Kyo knew he needed to accept that Eric had forgotten about him.

“Hey Kyo.” Eric suddenly spoke when he lied down on his bed. “I missed you.” Kyo felt relieved and happy. “I got many friends now. It’s all thanks to you.” Kyo’s happiness started to fade. “You notice that I always came home late right? They invited me to play together.” Kyo was jealous. Suddenly they heard Eric’s mother calling for him. “I need to go. My friends are here.” Eric then left the room, leaving the broken-hearted wooden doll on his bed. If only Kyo could cry himself out, the room would be flooded with tears by now.

Kyo could not take it anymore. He was being patient for the past weeks, but Eric had become even distant. Kyo knew he was the one who wanted to stay with Eric. And now seeing Eric had changed, Kyo would always cry. He didn’t feel regret for choosing to stay with Eric; he was just feeling frustrated and sad because he couldn’t save their friendship anymore. And to think that Eric loved him, Kyo cried even harder.

“Dear whoever granted my past wishes; please hear me out one last time. I know I wished to be with Eric, even though I could go back to my parents. But as you can see, Eric has gotten over me. He made many new friends, his life is happier. And I think he doesn’t need me anymore. Please… I want to go home. I want to go to my parents. I want to be human again. I want to be Pilkyo. Please… Grant me this last wish. I promise I’ll be good. I promise I won’t ask for anything again. Please.”

Being on the empty bed, with no Eric in the room, Kyo wished earnestly; even though he didn’t see any star because he was covered with a pillow.

“As you wish.”

Suddenly a bright light appeared. Kyo couldn’t hear or see anything. And the moment he felt being lifted up, he sniffled.

“Goodbye Eric. Please be happy.” Kyo spoke his final wish for his best friend. He was hoping he would see Eric for the last time, to say goodbye. But he knew Eric wouldn’t care. Kyo took a deep breath and soon, he fell asleep.