A boy named Eric

PinoKyo

 

One evening, in an average-looking house, a nine-year-old boy was sitting on his bed, reading a book. He was so into it, he didn’t realize his mother came into the room.

“Eric, I have been calling you for a while. What are you doing?” The boy looked up to see his mother.

“Oh. Sorry Mom. I’m reading this book Uncle gave me.” He showed the book to his mother.

“You and your books. Come on now, dinner is ready.” His mother smiled as the boy got off from bed and they walked together to the kitchen. After dinner, Eric went back to reading his book. It was about a wooden boy who then turned into real boy.

“Should I ask Dad to buy one to see if it would turn into a real boy?” Eric grinned and looked out of the window. “If it does happen, I would finally have a friend.” He then closed the book and went to sleep.

 

The next morning, Eric was having breakfast with his parents, when his father asked the one question he had been waiting for each year.

“So Eric, what would you want for your birthday?” Eric smiled.

“It’s okay Dad. I still got the presents from last years’ birthdays.”

“Hey, it’s once a year. There must be something you want.” His mother said.

“No Mom. I’ve been a naughty boy. Let’s just skip this year’s birthday present.”

“What happened to that kid next door wasn’t your fault. He was the one who stole your books.”

“Yeah. But I kicked him a little too hard.” Eric grinned.

“Don’t worry. Santa knows the real story. He wouldn’t put your name in the naughty list. So tell me what do you want for your birthday?” His parents stared at him while he was thinking.

“A wooden doll.” His parents’ eyes widened.

“Like the one in the story ‘Pinocchio'?” His father asked, and Eric nodded. “I don’t think there’re shops that still sell that kind of toys. But I’ll look for it.”

“Thank you Dad.” Eric kissed his parents goodbye, and left for school.

Eric came home after school and greeted by his mother.

“How was your day?”

“Nobody talked to me. As usual.” Eric then went to his room. After he did his homework, he continued reading the book given by his uncle. “One week to go.”

 

A week had passed; and it was finally Eric’s birthday.

“Happy birthday, my dear son!” His mother hugged him and kissed both his cheeks.

“Thank you Mom.” Then he saw his father smiling, with both his hands on his back.

“Happy birthday son.” His father walked to him, and showed him a box, wrapped in green-colored paper.

“Is this what I hope it is?” He asked, and his father nodded. “Thank you so much Dad.” Eric started unwrapping the box. Then, he saw it. “Wow!!” He exclaimed and held up the wooden doll. “It’s a boy!” His parents laughed.

That night, Eric brought his new wooden doll to the window next to his bed.

“Should I wish now? Is this the good time?” He asked the wooden doll. Then he looked up at the night sky. “Which star should I wish to? I didn’t see any star that is big enough like the one in the book?” Suddenly, he saw a star that was sparkling beautifully, like it was calling for Eric. “It’s not big. But I guess this would do.” He fixed his position on his bed facing the window, with the wooden doll on his lap. “I wish this wooden doll would turn into a real, human boy. So that he can be my friend.” He asked, earnestly. “And please make him cute.” He grinned at the sparkling star. He then looked at the wooden doll, and smiled. “I hope you would turn into a real boy soon.” He gave it a peck on the cheek, and went to sleep, with the doll right next to him.


 

 


 

Note: A short chapter for introduction. The next one is dedicated to feelgyo-nim. :)