Chapter 11

Whatever We Are

Because she's a thats why...not really


Despite her boyfriend’s pleas to make Kyungsoo go home because she was taking up their alone time, which by the way is a much needed one for both of them, Baekhyun didn’t have the heart to leave her friend’s side. Especially when she’s bawling her eyes out due to a certain guy whose name should not be said unless you want to see hell from both girls.

Therefore, Baekhyun had no choice but to kick out Kris from her bedroom and promise to give him treats if he remains a good boy. Kris could only hope those treats are called Baekhyun. He drags his feet towards the living room to watch some basketball but the T.V. could not even win against Kyungsoo cries.

After sending her boyfriend away, Baekhyun looks at the sobbing mess that is currently seating on her bed. Kyungsoo’s head is downcast, her once neatly bun is now a big mess of long black locks covering her face. Lifting her friend’s head to see what damage Jongin cause this time. Kyungsoo’s eyes are swollen from crying, her make-up is smudge everywhere, and it’s just not a nice sight to see.

“I thought everything was going fine and you guys are all over each other’s tongue. What happen?” She was soo excited for Kyungsoo because finally she won’t feel alone anymore. Even though she doesn’t say anything, Baekhyun can feel that her friend is longing for someone too.

“Jongin’s favorite noona happen” was all Baekhyun needed for everything to make sense. Ofcourse it had to be her. Who else would make Kyungsoo a mess right now. Baekhyun thought as she continues to clean up Kyungsoo’s face.

All of a sudden Kyungsoo straighten up and is looking straight at Baekhyun’s eyes. Like she just found the resolution to all of her problem. “Unnie, am I not that pretty? Should I maybe lose weight? Should I take ballet classes to-“

“KYUNGSOO, DON’T YOU DARE EVEN CONTINUE!” She grabs Kyungsoo by the shoulder and lightly shook her to knock some sense into her friend, while the younger of the two kept crying. It hurts Baekhyun to see her like this. The Kyungsoo she knows is a tough one but when it comes to Jongin’s noona she becomes a fragile little thing.

“You don’t have to change anything about yourself. You’re beautiful Kyungsoo. Changing how you look, taking up ballet classes, or doing she does won’t help you. Jongin likes you because you stay true to yourself.” Baekhyun embraces and cradle Kyungsoo like a baby.

“But why does Jongin always chooses her. I thought he likes me. I thought this night would be ours. We finally realized our feelings for each other but why does she have to ruin everything. I wish was her so that he will pay attention to me more. I can only take soo much Unnie.”

“I know sweetie and I’m sorry about that” Baekhyun whispers.

It’s always like this. No matter what she does, Kyungsoo can never get pass her. Even before she didn’t realize her feelings for Jongin, she still had to fight for her spot as his bestfriend. There are moments that she wants to let go of everything but up until now she still doesn’t have the will to do it. What’s worse is that now, its not just her spot as Jongin’s bestfriend she’s fighting for but her spot as his girlfriend.

Baekhyun draws circular motion on Kyungsoo’s back to relax her. “Not everybody can be Yixing. Kyungsoo is Kyungsoo. Yixing Unnie is Yixing. You guys are completely different”

As much as Baekhyun wants to tell her friend that Jongin will chose her no matter what but she doesn’t want Kyungsoo to have false hope.

“Not when it comes to Jongin were not.”
--


Yixing is just any kind of girls out there but what makes her different is Jongin and her share the same hobbies and they’re childhood friends. Kyungsoo met Jongin during her senior year in high school. Compare to Yixing where she has known him since they were toddlers on their first ballet class. Which explain how close they are. Its like they have their own little world that only them two can enter and no one can break that place apart.

Two years older than Jongin and Yixing is the only person that he calls noona, everybody else he addresses formally or calls them by their name. She doesn’t go to the same college as they do because she’s currently enrolled in a dance school that specifically focuses on ballet. While Yixing is the girl that every guy would call cute and have as their ideal housewife, Kyungsoo is more on the tomboyish side. And that's what kills Kyungsoo the most.

She feels like she’s nothing compares to Yixing. Kyungsoo doesn’t have a nice body like Yixing does, she doesn’t have the perfect skin like Yixing, and most importantly Kyungsoo can’t connect with Jongin the way Yixing does.

Kyungsoo and Jongin clicked instantly because they get a long soo well in terms of they can talk about anything and they feel comfortable around each other. She calls Jongin her bestfriend because that’s exactly what he is. He is the best friend anyone could have. Jongin is always there to listen to her rambles about anything and no matter what he’s always there for her…at times.

However, his relationship with Yixing is a tight one. Their each other’s first in everything and that alone says a lot. And for them to still have a close relationship till this day shows how important they are to each other. 

Like they always say first love never dies.

She first saw Jongin’s favorite noona on their high school graduation day. Kyungsoo was running towards Jongin when a short lady in a summer dress with long curly hair suddenly came out of no where with bouquet of flowers, a big sign that says “MY KAI DID IT!”, and hugged Jongin first while Kyungsoo just stands on the side waiting for her turn to congratulate her bestfriend.

Kyungsoo never got her turn as she watch Jongin leave hand in hand with Yixing. She later found out that ‘Kai’ is Yixing nickname for him during their childhood days. Ofcourse, she’s the only one who has the right to call him that. Jongin will tell you himself if you call him Kai and you’re not his XingXing.

Kyungsoo would know.

Their first formal meeting was during Jongin’s 19 birthday. Jongin threw a little birthday party with his close friends. Kyungsoo was excited because she help him plan out the party but another reason she was excited about was she will finally meet the famous Yixing Noona.
Kyungsoo thought then that it would be cool if all three of them can be bestfriends. Like a pack sort of. When Jongin finally introduce her to his noona, Kyungsoo was in awe while shaking Yixing’s hand. He had said before that his noona is pretty and she couldn’t have agreed more.

Her goal that night was to befriend with Yixing.

As the night of Jongin’s birthday party went on, Kyungsoo notice how clingy they are towards each other, not that she was looking, nope. Kyungsoo also notice whenever she tries to join their conversation, Yixing takes Jongin somewhere else, away from Kyungsoo. At first, she didn’t mind because Kyungsoo knows that they are far apart and they need their alone time to catch up. But she can’t deny that it being the outsider one.

Ever since then it seems like Kyungsoo always had to fight for her spot

Probably the breaking point of why Kyungsoo doesn’t really like Yixing was during the time when she was having a hard time dealing with schoolwork and everything is stressing her out. She had asked Jongin to go watch movies with her to clear her mind for a bit. He took the invite and they met up at the mall. Jongin bought the ticket for both of them and since they have time to spare Kyungsoo drag Jongin to a café. She wanted to vent out to him and for him to cheer her up by saying that she can do it and that all of her hard work will pay off.

While in the middle of pouring out her heart out, Yixing suddenly pop out of nowhere, like she always does, and join them for coffee. Kyungsoo needing the support of anybody told Yixing her situation but she simply waved her hand saying it will past and focus all her attention to Jongin.

What’s worse was, Kyungsoo didn’t even get to watch the movie because Yixing saw the tickets and said she wanted to see that movie and beg Jongin to take her. Kyungsoo didn’t really mind that Yixing was going but when they were about to buy another ticket it was sold out. Kyungsoo can still remember what Yixing said that night infront of the movie theater “oh well I guess its just going to be me and Jongin. I’m sorry Kyungsoo but I’m sure the DVD will come out soon”.

Jongin just smiled at her and followed his noona inside. Kyungsoo’s heart felt like it was ripping apart at that moment.
That night she learned Yixing comes first… always.
--


It has been exactly 24 hours since the date and Kyungsoo hasn’t heard anything from Jongin. She’s starting to think Yixing might have kidnapped him but Kyunsoo thinks she’s just going crazy waiting for him.


Contemplating on whether or not she’s going to send Jongin a text because Baekhyun clearly told her not too. Kyunsoo shakes her head “No no you can do this Kyungsoo! You’re not going to text him. If you text him, Jongin might think you’re already a clingy person, no no no” but at the end she sends him a text.

To: Jongin
Hey

To occupy her mind she cleans the whole house and sort out her summer clothes to winter clothes since the fall season is coming, Kyungsoo figures its time to change up her closet. She’s currently hanging her winter coats when her phone suddenly beeps. Kyungsoo may or may not have leap from her closet to her bed where her phone is.

She frowns when its not from Jongin because it if was from him then his stupid face would be showing on her screen right now. Kyungsoo taps her phone to reveal the message and smiles immediately when she saw who had texted her.

From: Chanyeol
Hey Kyungsoo! I’m in town.
Do you have time to hang out?

Kyungsoo turns around and lay on her back, reading the text once again. She’s not really in a mood to go outside but she’ll make an exception just for Chanyeol.

To: Chanyeol
Hey you! :) We don’t want you here!

Go home lol. I’m just kidding.
I’m not doing anything right now.

From: Chanyeol
Awesome. We can have a dinner later on
After I’m done with my stuff
Is that cool?

This will be a good time to get her mind of off things.  And knowing Chanyeol he will do a good job of it with his random stories and stupid jokes.

To: Chanyeol
Yup yup! Just let me know what time
and I’ll be there

From: Chanyeol
I’ll pick you up. Just send me your address.

Is 7pm okay? I’m soo excited to see you!

Kyungsoo quickly replies with her address adding if Chanyeol happen to get lost, to immediately call her.

After putting away her clothes, eventually picking out her outfit for tonight. Kyungsoo thought of buying Chanyeol like a welcoming gift. Maybe something sweets, He did mention he likes cakes when they were talking at the beach. She decides to buy him a cake at the boba café she and Jongin go to. They not only have the best bubble tea drinks but also desert.

After getting dress with just a simple outfit that consists of a v-neck white shirt, black jeans, and boots. Kyungsoo chose the boots with a heel so that she won’t appear too short next to Chanyeol. She had asked her mom to drop her off at the café and texting Chanyeol to just meet her there.

Pushing the door open, Kyungsoo headed to for the desert section looking at different kinds of cakes behind the glass.

“Uhmm I think he will like chocolate. I mean who doesn’t but still I don’t know what to get him” She mumbles.

There is strawberry shortcake, tiramisu, the classic chocolate cake, and cheesecake. Kyungsoo couldn’t decide what to get so she just got one of each.

There aren’t many people in the café right now but it was still quite busy, she maneuvers her way to find table since her order is barely getting place and its going to take a while. Usually when she comes with Jongin they always sit at the far back away from the crowds. Out of habit she heads that way but stop when she sees that a couple has already claim their spot but there is an empty spot next to the table.

Her phone rings showing Chanyeol’s name.

“Hello? Chanyeol?” Kyungsoo sat down at the empty table not really looking at her surrounding. She’s too busy giving Chanyeol driving direction.

“Okay soo after you make a right turn stay on your right because the café is on that side then once you past the main boulevard you should be able to see the sign there”

“Okay I see it but just stay in the line just in case” Chanyeol says

Kyungsoo plays around at the condiments in front of her while she listens to Chanyeol whining about there is no parking for him to park in and that Kyungsoo’s city is really big compare to his with all of her fidgeting she accidently push off her bag, landing on the floor.

“Okay I got a parking I’m on my way there” She hears Chanyeol get out of his car and was about to get her bag when a hand grabs it instead.

“Here you go Miss”

“Oh thank-“ Kyungsoo turn to look at the guy to thank him when she sees Jongin on the other table, their table, sitting with someone else. She turns her head to see Yixing smiling towards her. 

“Thanks” She got her purse from Jongin’s hand.

“What are you guys doing here?” Kyungsoo asks trying to break the tension that is soon forming around them.

“Ohh uhm Noona wanted to get bubble tea soo yeah I brought her here…”

There are a lot of things Kyungsoo is not good at like keeping her face straight. When she’s happy her smile is from end to end. When she’s mad the frown on her face is hard to get off.
Like how she is right now.

“Its my first time here and this place is nice! I think I’m going to start making Jongin take me here everyday” Yixing beams at her while Jongin can only watch as his bestfriend’s face go bad to worse.

What else can Kyungsoo say? This place is very important to her because Jongin and her spend a lot of time in here. It’s their safe haven away from people and problems. Kyungsoo treasure’s this place a lot and now Yixing took it away too, like everything else. Not wanting to stay there for any longer, Kyungsoo took the cakes that the waiter had just place and her bag.

“Oh well you go do that Unnie. I’m going now” she gets up from the chair already seeing Chanyeol’s head at the front of the café

“Wait Kyung you can stay if you want” Jongin offered. Missing the look Yixing made

“I think I’ll pass. It looks to me your really busy right now. I don't want to bother”

“No I don’t mind.” Her bestfriend agued back but Kyungsoo is not having any of this right now.

“There you are!” Chanyeol says as soon as he gets to her table. Kyungsoo tries to give him her biggest smile but its not working.

“Oh hey Jongin!”

“Hey…” Jongin tries not to make a face.

“Chanyeol is here. We’re going out tonight so I can’t stay and I don’t think Yixing Unnie wants me to stick around. Besides, you brought her here soo its just right that you attend her.” She shakes her head when she sees he’s about to protest.

“Its fine Jongin, I’m used to being left behind. Lets go yeol” Kyungsoo grab Chanyeol’s hand leading then out of the café.

--

“She’s jealous” Yixing laughs when Kyungsoo’s far from them

“Noona you’re not helping” the boy opposite of her groans. “Ugh! I don’t like where this is going. I feel soo bad. Should I follow them?”

“No you will ruin everything”