Thirteen

Healing
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter


He spent almost a week feeling numb. By the time his emotions were finally surfacing, he sedated himself with work and patients. He worked over hours, spent entire nights roaming the halls, allowed himself to sink into his patients’ lives. He gave up his weekends and holidays. Everyone could tell something happened. He simply ignored it.

 

Min young was sitting on his bed, busy with the origami. He was used to that view now. He gave him a smile as he walked in, this time, bringing him a model car on his way. Min young didn’t smile back at him.

 

“Aren’t you feeling well?”

 

“It’s not that hyung. I’ve just been thinking lately, what if I don’t have much time left to finish those?” he pointed towards his collection of paper cranes. “My wish won’t come true then will it?” he no longer sounded like a young boy speaking. But then again, he wasn’t a young boy. He was someone who matured overnight.

 

“Why won’t you have the time?” he asked.

 

“After I have the surgery, I won’t be able to work on it will I?” right before he was able to respond, he heard his pager. He excused himself and left the room.

 

This time he didn’t go straight to his location. Instead, he closed the door behind him and leaned against it. He felt his sight getting hazy as the weight he carried for weeks finally appeared. He felt lightheaded and the world around him spun in loops. He held his forehead and sank deeper onto the floor tiles.

 

That was when he saw a vision. It came in blurs, accompanied by the heart monitors and quiet conversations around him.

 

Had he not been a doctor, it would’ve taken some time to recognize the setting. He came to identify it at once. It was a surgery room. The light was bright, the staff was tense and the beeping sounds were clear and loud. They were gathered around the surgical table. Their blue, white and green coats were unmistakable. He tried to take small steps forward when he felt the scenes changing rapidly.

 

Seung gi was now outside the room. The corridor was quiet and empty, save for the noises coming from within the surgical ward. In front of him was a little girl. She was hugging onto her doll, as if counting on it as her only support. She was frightened, anxious and confused, but unquestionably beautiful. She held the type of charm that immediately drew him closer, as if he had a connection to

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter