Eleven

Healing
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

When his fiancé left him, he thought that was the most painful experience he’d ever have. He spent weeks trying to contact her, merely to ask her why. She finally responded to tell him she fell for another man. She also said that he was never around; he didn’t have any time for her.

 

He had just graduated, he had night and morning shifts, he was still unstable with his field. He simply never had any time. He was older now, his life wasn’t hectic anymore. He finally had enough time to make for the ones he loved.

 

Time was a funny thing. The one he loved didn’t have much time left.

 

She often called to cancel their dates, tell him she was sorry and set another date. Every time, he could tell by her voice she was breaking.

 

She’s brave and independent, that was what he loved about her. That was also what he hated on days like those. When she’s in pain, she doesn’t tell him, preferring to go through all the suffering alone.

 

He went to pick her up for an early breakfast date before he went to work. She was supposed to spend the day in his house until he comes back from work to have dinner with her, the night was supposed to be spent together.

 

She opened the door to let him in then asked him to wait a bit while she went to the bathroom. He figured she took too long.

 

They were sitting on the bathroom floor of her house, her head above the toilet seat and him holding back her hair. “I’m sorry” she turned around to face him. She looked so pale. He nodded, wiping with the wet paper tissues then gently lifting her up from the bathroom floor. “I’m really sorry”

 

“I’ve seen this a million times before. Are you feeling better?”

 

“I’m fine, oppa. You should really go to work. I’m sorry for ruining our date”

 

“Shhh” he took her arms and wrapping it around his neck before lifting her up.

 

“It’s just a stomach bug you know” he nodded. He knew it wasn’t. He placed her down on the bed and lied next to her, taking her hand. “You shouldn’t be here. You could get sick”

 

“It’s not an infection, baby. And I won’t leave you” she sighed and leaned her head on his shoulder.

 

That was when it truly hit him, that one day she won’t be there anymore. Her condition was too strong. And she was too stupid. Her existence was simply limited.

 

“I love you” something was urging him to say those words. One day, she won’t be there to hear him say it. “Can you…do something for me?” she turned to face him.  Her eyes seemed so weary. “Have the surgery”

 

Her eyes widened and he saw her lips quivering. She fell silent and stared at the ceiling of her bedroom. “I’m not afraid of death” the sun rays were slowly moving closer to her side. She used her hands to shield her eyes. “You need to go to work” the smile on her face was no longer ther

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter