Eighteen

Healing
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

“I love you”

 

“I love you, too” she replied.

 

 Although her smile was wide, knowing it always helps to calm him, he could tell she was afraid. He felt her grip on his hand tightening, lips quivering, and the rise and fall of her chest becoming weak and shaky.

 

He couldn’t blame her for showing her fear. If not, he’d think she’s mastered lying to him.

 

“Count back from a hundred, Miss Bae”

 

“You need to leave the room, doctor” a nurse told him.

 

Suzy held his hand as he was about to assure them that he wanted to stay with her. “Strawberry pudding”

 

“What?” he bent to the bed beside her.

 

“I would like to have that… after I wake”

 

He watched her in confusion, starting to think the anaesthetic worked too fast. 

 

“Can you get me strawberry pudding, oppa?” she pleaded.

 

He realized the random demand was simply an excuse to get him to leave. If he were in his right mind, he’d thank her for it. As he wasn’t, he claimed an intoxicating, demanding kiss. She savoured it, unable to find the energy to return.

 

He broke their kiss, watching her trying her best to keep looking at him as her eyelids were falling. He left the room with one final glimpse of her calm, peaceful sleeping form.

 

---

 

Just like all the dreams she had before that revolved around him, Suzy woke up with tears in her eyes. She didn’t even know what to think of them, as she could only make them out to be dreams of the events they’re never meant to have.

 

The look on his face, even in her dream, spoke of so much hope, yearning and faith. The parts of his orbs only she could read, however, were those of despair, aching and agony. It was every emotion she vowed to herself she’d never cause to another being.

 

She made that promise when she was merely a six years old child, and ever since, she kept it. It was all until a stranger walked into her life, giving her not only his heart, but also a home for hers.

 

She could only offer him, in return, misery.

 

Suzy sprayed a few drops of water on the large vase of pink tulips he had picked for her, one at a time.

 

The heaviness in her breath only grew deeper as she noticed the brownish colour on some of the flowers, which were withering at this point. She shouldn’t be surprised with that, though she hoped they’d last for a long time, their delicate pink colour lingering. Feeling sadness for flowers was irrational, they were easily replaceable. He could always pick better ones. 

 

---

 

Heavy rain was not to anyone’s surprise in the autumn season. A few months back, rain to him, represented the time when the corridors become crowded, as people fall to trivial, seasonal illnesses.

 

Listening to the raindrops falling on the top of his car, Seung gi could only look in anticipation to holding a familiar figure in his arms through the rainy night. He didn’t even notice the crowded corridors he used to detest.

 

That day would be special to him as they agreed to do some packing. Almost a week ago, he asked her to officially move in with him. He was tired of the constant trips and also the periods of separation. He wished to spend every moment they get with her. He didn’t tell her, but it would mak

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter