An Interlude

Protecting the Heir

Jaemi squints her eyes at the reply the being in front of her said. “That can’t be right.”

The being sighs. “But it’s what it is,” she then turns to see what was happening outside. “It is done.”

 

Daemon frowns as he waits for any news or sightings on his clan. He wished that the people of the Capitol worked fast and had gathered enough men to fend off his father and his people. He didn’t want to run to the Light’s aid only to fail.

“What are you thinking about?” Yixing asks, eyes following the pacing boy.

“How we’re going to stop my father.” He answers.

“We’ll be fine.” Sehun waves a hand a leans onto the seat.

Daemon stops and looks at him, a defeated look on his face. “You don’t know that.”

The rest frowns at his reply.

 

The people Zeref gathered were closing in on the Capitol; they could see the buildings already. And not too long after, they’d probably be engaging in combat with the front liners.

Eredar frowns at the splitting grin his son was sporting. “Do you think you’re father is going a bit too far with his domination?” he whispers to his granddaughter.

“I think father is doing a splendid job in taking back what is yours, grandfather.” Jaemi replies, a dull look in her eyes. “But whatever grandfather thinks, I also have to consider.” She curtsies before looking ahead.

“Jaemi, a word.”

“Yes father.” And without another thought, she stands beside her father.

He turns to glare at the buildings. “I want you to remember that they are our enemies.”

“Of course, father.” She bows her head in acknowledgement before returning to accompany her grandfather.

Eredar glances to his son before focusing on the girl next to him. “What did your father say?”

“No matter what, they are our enemies.” She replies without a moment’s hesitation.

He was silent for a while, prompting the girl beside him to frown.

“Is that all, grandfather?”

“Yes.” He smiles down at her, giving her head a small pat.

 

“Do you see how my grandpa is nice?!” Jaemi exclaims, kicking the chair for emphasis. “My father is just blinded by rage and betrayal, but we can stop him!”

The figure rolls her eye. “Tell that to the judge.”

“I am, and that judge is you!” Jaemi groans. “Seriously,” She then stares at the person before her as she stares out of what seems to be what her body is seeing. “Is there really no name that would spring to mind?” She frowns.

“No.” Was her quiet reply. “I do not recall of any name, or memory.”

“Then why do you seem so familiar to me?”

She shrugs. “I don’t know.” She then frowns Jaemi’s way. “Now shush, we are nearing the Capitol and I don’t have time to talk to you.”

“Oh please, you’ll entertain every word and thought I throw your way; you’ve been doing just that.” Jaemi grins when a scowl replaced the figure’s focused look.

“Enough,”

“Don’t want to.”

 

“I can see them!”

They could practically hear all the civilians’ weeps and shrieks as they quickly take cover, the soldiers and strong men running to join the front lines and help block the invaders.

Daemon frowns. Who would have thought that he’d be fighting alongside the people that he detested for more than 15 years? He couldn’t help but scoff. He practically jinxed himself.

“Why are you making faces?” Baekhyun brought him out of his musings.

“Just thought it weird that I’m here, inside the Capitol, when I should be outside the Capitol, launching an attack to strike you down.” He says with a shrug.

Chanyeol looks at him before grinning. “That’s true.”

“When this is over, I’d like to learn about what they taught you,” Yifan says.

Daemon shrugs before agreeing. There was no harm done by telling them their side of the story, only when this was over.

“If we make it out alive.”