A Voice

Protecting the Heir

“Byun Baekhyun!” calls a male with rather big ears.

“Chanyeollie,” the called boy stops to wait for his friend. “What’s up?” he asks after Chanyeol falls into steps with him.

“The guys said we should hang out.” He explains.

Baekhyun nods his head in thought. Before he could open his mouth to reply, the wind picks up and he hears a soft, melodic voice echo in his head.

Heir, where are you?

He blinks at the sudden familiarity of the voice—but he knows for a fact that he hasn’t heard that voice… has he?

“Yeol, do you hear that?” he asks.

His companion tilts his head to the side. “Hear what?” he asks before his eyes widen for a split second and he smiles at him. “You must be hearing things. Come on.” He calls and tugs his friend’s upper arm. They finally came.

 

At the same block, a girl releases a sigh of frustration. “How the heck will I find him? I don’t remember how he looks like anymore.” She huffs and bumps onto a girl her age. “Sorry,” she mumbles and bows her head in curtsy.

“It’s fine, you okay?” she asks, eyeing the girl’s rather strange clothing. “Are you lost?” she asks.

She nods her head with little worry about what the girl might think.

“Do you need a place to stay?” She asks.

The girl nods her head once more.

“I have a vacant room in my apartment...” She then trails off, not sure if she should trust this female.

As if reading her thoughts, the girl smiles and shakes her head. “I won’t do you harm, don’t worry. I would appreciate your kindness if you were to let me stay in this apartment of yours.” She utters. “If it makes you feel any better, my name is Jaemi, and I came from somewhere far from here.”

The girl looked quite stunned at her reply. “I’m Park Kei, nice to meet you. And where is this far place?” she asks once more, eying her clothing.

“You wouldn’t want to know.” She lets out a small chuckle. I can trust her. She thinks after a moment of observing the girl named Park Kei.

Kei nods her head at her before smiling. “I’m heading home now, so I can just take you with me, will that be alright with you? Or do you have somewhere else to go?” she asks, noticing how the girl was constantly looking around.

She shakes her head. “I’m just looking for a long lost friend.” She says with a small smile. “I don’t mind, let’s go?” she asks.

 

“Hyung heard a voice earlier today.” Chanyeol shares to his fellow friends.

“So they seem to have finally found the planet where their Heir is.” Replies one of his friends—Kim Junmyeon, from the Water Kingdom.

Chanyeol gives his a nod along with their 9 other companions.

“I can’t believe he’d forget everything though.” Huang Zitao, the Heir to the Time Kingdom frowns at the memory of them meeting their childhood friend for the first time since he was transported to the planet Earth.

A pat on his back was given by the Heir of the Kingdom of Flight: Wu Yifan gives his friend a small smile. “He was still small when the fire started Tao, he probably forgot about it since it was a traumatic event.”

A reassuring smile appears on the face of the person next to Tao. “Kris is right Tao; you shouldn’t dwell on it too much.” The Heir to the Telekinesis Kingdom—Lu Han—gives him a pat on his head.

“But it was still heartbreaking when we found him 8 years ago.” Heir to the Kingdom of Wind—Oh Sehun—frowns at the memory. “He acted as if he didn’t know of our world.” He mutters silently.

“That’s because he really had no idea,” Kim Jongin, from the Teleportation Kingdom releases a sigh. “It was probably a defense mechanism to forget about the horror that was ‘The Burning of the Light Household’; it was traumatic, even for us.” He explains.

“Kai is right,” Do Kyungsoo, Heir to the Kingdom of Earth (let us just think that it’s not the same as our planet Earth, yea?) nods his head in agreement. “I still get chills when I think about it.” He confesses.

“Do you think they’ll be fine with finding him?” Kim Jongdae from the Lightning Kingdom frowns at the idea.

Another sigh was heard from the corner of the room. “It’s going to be hard, that’s for sure.” Zhang Yixing the Heir to the Kingdom that Heals frowns at the thought.

“We didn’t have a hard time since we were still familiar with his aura.” Kim Minseok of the Kingdom of Snow shrugs his shoulders as he reminisces the time when they found their long time friend in a matter of one week.

“That was some feat we did there.” Jongin nods his head in agreement.

“They sent only one thought.” Park Chanyeol Heir to the Fire Kingdom utters turning all eyes on him.

“What?!” they exclaim in unison.

“How will they be able to find him?” Luhan asks. “I mean, I know they’ll be fine since he is their Heir, but it’s been so long, will they be able to sense him?

Chanyeol frowns at this as well. But something was bothering him. “They sent her, I’m sure.”

“Her?” Sehun echoes.

Kris’ eyes widen. “You don’t mean?”

Chanyeol nods his head. “That’s the only way.” He then bites his bottom lip as he thinks. “How would you explain him hearing her when they haven’t seen each other in 13 years?” he asks. “He sensed her like how we did with him 8 years ago.”

“But isn’t it dangerous?” Minseok asks.

“It will be, once the King of Darkness finds out that they sent her here to look for him.” Suho replies.

“Who is this ‘her’ you are referring to?” Sehun whines.

“Are you guys talking about girls?” Baekhyun grins as he settles back to his seat between Chanyeol and Kyungsoo.

“Yea,” Kyungsoo nods his head. “Kai has a girl in mind.” He smiles rather nervously at his friends at the sudden change of subject.

“Well that’s a first,” Baekhyun comments.

“Yea,” Sehun comments with a mischievous grin to his friend which earned him a kick on the shin. “Ow!” he yelps and glares at Jongin.

“Alright kids, don’t start.” Suho warns as he takes a sip out of his smoothie.

The warning made Baekhyun chuckle. He had a group of friends that treated each other like brothers. What he would do to keep it that way.