Chapter Nine

Behind Enemy Lines

 

 
 
"Why don't you just sit down and be quiet?"
 
"Why don't you just stop bossing me around and answer me for once?" Hyuna retorted, arching her eye brows. Tao let out a growl of aggravation and walked into the hotel's bathroom and locked the door. He clicked a button on his Blue Tooth contacting Gikwang.
 
Hyuna rolled her eyes and walked around the hotel room. They'd stopped at this hotel 20 minutes ago and Tao wouldn't tell her why he was pacing around. Why does he have such big problem with taking the chip out? Sure she would hate to go into surgery and possibly lose her leg but it'd be better then having people she doesn't know follow her around like a bunch of lost puppies and then viciously and cruelly kill her. 
 
Hyuna looks towards the bathroom door where she hears Tao mumbling. She shakes her head, "Why doesn't he just marry the damn thing?" She mumbled to herself, referring to how much precious time he spent on his blue tooth. 
 
Hyuna walked towards the glass doors which a balcony hid behind. She opened the curtains and looked at the view. She smiled, seeing the green hills but frowned seeing how small the population was. This hotel wasn't in the city, it was kind of far off, it's more of a place to stop by for a night or two to take a rest. 
 
She walked around the room slowly, looking at each of the picture frames and dragging her hand across the wooden, polished desk that had a green lamp on it and a small notebook and address book. There was a bible off to the corner of the desk, along with a small Nicholas Sparks book. Hyuna then continued to walk around the room a bit more, looking at the fire place and the matches that sat on top of it. 
 
She heard the bathroom door open and looked over to Tao who was taking his Bluetooth of his ear and setting on the small nightstand. "We'll hit the road again tomorrow morning after breakfast." 
 
"We just got here." Hyuna commented. 
 
"Yeah but we can't stay." Tao replied. Hyuna looked at him. He sighed and looked at her, "Look, Hyuna, I know you're not use to all of this but now that we know you're being tracked for every move you make...we're not safe anywhere." 
 
"Then why do we keep running?" Hyuna asked. "If they're going to find us either way...why do we keep running? Why can't we just take the chip out and get this all over with?"
 
"Hyuna...We're not going to put you through surgery." Tao said. 
 
"I don't see why not. You want me to stay safe, right? Well, taking the chip out would keep me safe and you know it." Hyuna folded her arms in front of her chest. Tao stared at Hyuna for a minute, taking in what she was saying. He frowned when all of a sudden the hotel room changed into a hospital hall way and Hyuna was no longer wearing the T-shirt and jeans, she was now wearing a bloody hospital gown, her hands drenched in her fresh, wet blood. 
 
"No." Tao said, coming out of his awful trance, everything going back to normal--normal being: the hotel room and Hyuna in regular clothes and not bloody--. Hyuna sighed and let her hands drop to her sighed, she looked at the ceiling and then back at Tao. 
 
"Why!?" She shrieked. "I want the chip out, Tao! Just take it out and then we can finally stop running!" 
 
"We're not taking it out!" Tao snapped. "We'll run and hide if that's what it takes to keep you safe from them! But we're not taking the chip out!" 
 
"Why not?!" Hyuna cried out.
 
"Because I said no!" Tao yelled. Hyuna rolled her eyes and sat on one of the bed's. "Now go to sleep! Tomorrow's schedule is for you to wake up and have a shower and do whatever else you do in the mornings and then we're going down to a restaurant and then we're heading out again." 
 
*******
 
"I know a song that gets on everybody's nerves
I know a song that gets on everybody's nerves
I know a song that gets on everybody's nerves
And this is how it goes..." Hyuna sang, repeating this for the millionth time. Tao gripped the steering wheel tightly, causing his knuckles to turn an ugly white. Tao tried his best to ignore Hyuna, but how long would he last before he burst into flames of anger? "I know a song that gets on everybody's nerves
I know a song that gets on everybody's nerves
I know a song that gets on everybody's nerves
And this is how it goes..." 
 
"Will you shut up?!" Tao yelled, looking over at Hyuna quickly, then back to the road. Hyuna crossed her arms and glared at him. She was quiet for a moment. "Thank you."
 
She smirked and took a deep breath. I know a song that gets on everybody's nerves
I know a song that gets on everybody's nerves
I know a song that gets on everybody's nerves
And this is how it goes..." 
 
Tao groaned and the radio, cranking it up so loud the car began to vibrate. Hyuna grinned widely. "Yeah!" She shouted with glee. She then began to shout the lyrics, declaring how well she knew them, "CAUSE BABY YOU'RE A FIREWORK, COME ON SHOW 'EM WHAT YOU'RE WORTH, MAKE 'EM GO OH OH OH AS YOU SHOOT ACROSS THE SKY-Y-Y!" 
 
Tao's face twisted into a look of annoyance and anger. He clicked a button turning it off. Hyuna took a deep breath, "I know a song that gets on everybody's nerves
I know a song that gets on everybody's nerves
I know a song that gets on everybody's nerves
And this is how it goes..." 
 
"Oh my God!" Tao shouted. "You are the most annoying, loud, and argumentative person I know!" 
 
"Oh yeah?" Hyuna responded, looking at him and popping up a brow. "Well, you're the most bad-tempered, bossy, and inconsiderate person I know!" 
 
"How am I inconsiderate?!" Tao shot back. "I'm the one who's trying to save your life which is on the line by the way!" He glanced at her and back to the road. 
 
"Yeah, but it wouldn't be if you would just let them take out the damn chip!" Hyuna snapped. 
 
"How many times do I have to tell you I'm not taking out the chip?!" Tao questioned her, glowering at the road ahead of him.
 
"Why!? Are you trying to get me killed?!" Hyuna asked him and then she gasped, "Oh my god! You're leading me to them! That's why you won't take it out! You're one of them!"
 
"Yes, Hyuna, I am one of them. That's why I'm trying to save your life and I've been killing every guy on my so called squad." Tao retorted sarcastically. Hyuna rolled her eyes. "You wanna know what else you are? You're Happy-Go-Lucky, thoughtless, and loud-mouthed!" 
 
"Well you're moody, quick-tempered, irritating, grumpy, and very domineering!" Hyuna shouted back. "And how the hell am I Happy-Go-Lucky?!"
 
"Do you ever think what will happen if the operation goes wrong?!" He questioned abruptly. "You'll need your leg to be amputated, you'll have to be in crutches or a wheel chair for the rest of your entire life, you could possibly be paralyzed all together from the waist down! You won't be able to run around or walk or your own, you'll have to constantly have somebody there assisting you 24/7!" 
 
Hyuna didn't say anything for now. The car fell slightly silent before Hyuna spoke up, "It's better then being tracked for the rest of my life." Then Tao snapped, his face going red with anger. He abruptly turned the wheel to the left, coming off of the long road, catching Hyuna by surprise. She gripped the door handle. Once they were all the way off the road and onto the field. Tao slammed hard on the breaks and got out of the car, slamming the door. Hyuna jumped and then got out of the car, too, wondering what he was doing but he certainly didn't look very happy.
 
********
 
"That isn't the way you want to live! How many times do I have to tell you this so you can get it through your thick skull!?" Tao yelled angrily. Hyuna glared at him.
 
"Why are you trying to control me?!" Hyuna yelled back at him. 
 
"I'm not! I don't want you to get that chip out because of the consequences! No one wants to live with one leg, Hyuna! Nobody does and I know you don't! I'm not trying to control you're life, I'm trying to get you to see the other side of this so I can make you happy!" Tao snapped.
 
"But I'm not happy!" Hyuna responded.
 
"I GET THAT!" Tao hollered again. "I'm protecting to you! I fail if I put you in harm and I know each and every state of harm there is! And this surgery...is a harm!" 
 
"I'm a human being I should be able to make my own decisions!" Hyuna yelled back, "I don't even want you here to protect me! I didn't ask for this! I didn't ask for any of this! You think I want this life?? This life where I....I have to run away and hide all the time...a life where I'm being tracked for every move I make...who would want that?!?!" 
 
"You have a choice about this!" Tao snapped back. 
 
"I don't have a choice." Hyuna shook her head about to get back into the car but Tao grabbed her arm, pulling her towards him more. 
 
"Yes you do! You can tell me right now that you don't want that procedure done! Who wants one leg, Hyuna? Who?!" He yelled.
 
"Stop yelling at me!" Hyuna shouted at him.
 
"Well, it seems like the only way to get you to listen!" Tao spat. "There's not even a high percent chance that this procedure would even go well! It'll end horribly, Hyuna! Horribly!"
 
"You don't know that! I might be that little percent that gets through it!" Hyuna said throwing her hands in the air. Tao grabbed both of her arms and shook her slightly, as if it would clear her head and get her to think the way he does. 
 
"No you won't be! You can just assume!" Tao said. "But I've seen this before! These microchips! You'll be miserable if you take it out and have only one leg!"
 
"Yeah, well, I'm pretty sure I'm gonna be miserable travelling and being chased every day!" Hyuna yelled. 
 
"Will you stop arguing with me!? This is what I meant by you being so argumentative!" Tao let go of her, scowling. "This is going to be a lose-lose situation but I know that you probably won't get far with one leg!" 
 
"Why can't they just use their special tools and open that damn safe themselves?!" Hyuna asked him. 
 
"Well, I'm damn well sure they tried!" Tao said, "But they need the code and you're mom doesn't have it, you don't have it, and your sister doesn't have it!" 
 
"Why would they kill me in the first place?! If they want the code, what would killing do?! Then they'll never get the code or find it!" Hyuna exclaimed. "Why do you even care whether I die or not?!"
 
"It's my job--"
 
"See! You don't really care! This is all for your job! You could care less if I was dead or beaten or or...whatever, all you care about is keeping your job!" Hyuna snapped. Tao looked at her about to object but she kept talking, "If you don't care, why won't you let me get the procedure done!"
 
"Hyuna! I do care! Okay! I do! You're not getting the procedure and that's final! I don't want to hear another word!" He shouted. "Ugh! You...I'm so angry I could kiss you!" Tao shouts without realizing it. 
 
"What was that?" Hyuna asked, looking at him. 
 
"Uh...I said, I'm so angry I could....piss.....glue....!" He corrects his first statement.
 
"I've never heard that before." Hyuna said honestly. He looks at her and nods.
 
"It's a very common expression." He says.
 
****
COMMENT AND SUBSCRIBE!
I just started my winter break, so expect lots of updates from me! :D And if I get tons of comments, I might do double updates, too. ;D I was able to make lots of chapters over the weeks but didn't have time to post them, so I decided to just post them all on winter break so I don't have to waste my time making more. ^^