Goodnight!

The Recognition

Goodnight!

 

The maximized volume of latest pop song vibrating along the frenzy waving laser lights all around the big hall. People getting lost in music and alcohol were at the center crowding the upbeat pop disc jockey. Women were around swaying into the hypnotizing sound trying to get his attention as he passed through them. They began to crowd round him, giving him suggestive stares.

 

"How about I pay you my number, handsome?" One catty woman whispered right in his ear.

 

He whipped towards her and gave her a smirk. "Sorry, not my type." And there came a round of 'ows' that had spread around the crowd.

 

"Ladies, I'm sorry I came here to drink not flirt. Maybe be next time?" He ran through the dividing crowd and straight to the bartender while seeing disappointed faces retreating around him. "Scotch Whiskey, please" He ordered as he settled down on one of the seats in front of the bar table and heard the barman replied.

 

"Coming right up!"

 

"Wait! Gaeul-yang! It's alright... You don't have to answer it."

 

His voice sounded a little higher than his normal. He wanted to relieve himself from his impending failure so he had to cut her out. He wasn’t yet sure about 'them', but he's getting the idea that 'they’re’ what he thinks of them. And Gaeul looked too enthusiastic and all, with a wide smile on her face that never faltered, how was he going to deny it?

 

"No. Sunbae its okay, I'll answer your question. It's ok really… I know how you feel. And I know how much you wanted to know what the gang has been doing for the past four years. I will be glad to tell you all." She placed her fingers on her chin and looked sideways.

 

"What was that again?" Yi Jeong heard her say. Better prepare for self-destruction. His breathing went heavy and his concentration was out there at the corner. He gazed at her form, she was recalling his question. And Yi Jeong was praying hard for Gaeul to just let his inquiry pass or better yet forget the whole thing. Suddenly he heeded Gaeul clap her hands and said, "Ah! Yeah. That's it”, and Yi Jeong was already crying on frustration inside but came to show Gaeul a wry smile.

 

"Woobin Oppa." Gaeul plunged down on her answer which gained a gulp from Yi Jeong. “He is so nice and caring to me. From the time I had wakened from my sleep, Oppa had been there already. And the moment they learned that I got some of my memory gone he looked at me very worriedly."

 

Flash

 

"They said she’s having Lacunar amnesia just like what Junpyo got, but her case is a little worse."

 

"Is she going to be okay? Will she be able to remember us, Jiho-yah?"

 

"It will be all right. She’s going to be fine Sunbae. Junpyo was able to remember me before, right?"

 

They were seated on the mini receiving area a few meters away from her bed. The three of them looked back at Gaeul who was staring blankly at the television. "I hope so." Jiho stood up from his seat and followed by Jandi.

 

"Jandi and I are catching for our classes will you be fine looking after her alone?"

 

Getting to his feet, Woobin nodded to them. "It's okay. I'll be seeing my class in two hours. She'll be asleep by then." And then the three went near her bed and caught her attention. "Gaeul, we'll be back later and we’ll chat again. I and Jiho Sunbae are leaving for our classes now. See you later" Both Jandi and Jiho waved at her after she nodded and smiled at them.

 

After they vanished from the door, Gaeul reached and grabbed Woobin's sleeve which made him turn to look back at her. "Op... Oppa? I.. I'm sorry but I don't know how to address you. And I don't know if how I am related to you. Are you a relative of mine? Can I call you Oppa?"

End

 

"I thought he's a relative of mine because he would always stay by my side and had taken good care of me. He told me I can call him Sunbae but if I like calling him Oppa its fine with him.” Gaeul chuckled to herself as she remembered hoe awfully alarmed Woobin looked like when she opted to call him oppa. “It was funny at first because he would look uncomfortable about me calling him that. He said he wasn't used to it, that I call him 'Oppa', but still he gave in for me. He's actually really nice, isn't he Sunbae?"

 

How would one describe the extent of relief that Yi Jeong felt after he heard what Gaeul said? So in that respect, his doubts were put to rest and he could eventually settle on with that.

 

"But why does he call you 'Princess'? I barely heard him calling you that at the lounge."

 

"Oh? It became habit for him and the rest, actually. Oppa told me that the hospital staff who had taken care of me called me 'Princess'. Maybe because of where I was confined and the 'especial' treatments I got when I was still at my coma state.” She just grinned at him. “And it became a habit around the field, and then the 'Princess' thing went contagious that even Junpyo Sunbae calls me that.” Gaeul rubbed hard hands along her arms. “I don't know why, but hearing him calling me 'Princess' sends me chills."

 

"Yeah. I got the idea." Then Yi Jeong chuckled, he could clearly imagine the weird face of Junpyo blabbing the ‘Princess’ thing. Gaeul was just looking at him as he snickered on his seat and when his mirth died, he saw Gaeul yawned and blinked her eyes. She looked sleepy and tired as well. He had wasted her resting time with his nonsense doubts and now she could just have a little sleepy time.

 

"You look sleepy. Why didn't you go and take a rest already? I'll just wait here for Jandi to arrive and so I'll leave." He heard her chuckle and gave him a lazy smile. Yi Jeong had to swallow hard because he felt his heart had skipped a beat.

 

"It's okay Sunbae, you can leave now. Jandi won't be home until Wednesday."

 

"You mean, you're all by yourself until Wednesday?"

 

"Hmm. It's okay Sunbae. Woobin Oppa might be here tomorrow morning to accompany me for breakf..."

 

"No way am I going to let you sleep here alone. I'll be staying for tonight until Woobin will be here tomorrow."

"But..."

 

"No complaints and buts allowed. Now go fix yourself and go to sleep. I'll be staying at the room across yours."

 

"Aish!" Gaeul wanted to argue more but she's too tired to do so. And with that she turned around and walked away from him while stomping her feet on the floor.

 

"Aish your face stubborn young lady." Yi Jeong whispered inwardly but with a contented smile gracing his lips.

 

"Did you say something?" His eyes went wide when he heard her yelling across the living room. Yi Jeong just shook his head and chuckled.

 

"Nothing. I did not say anything!"

 

Looking at the man across him, Jiho can only sigh deeply and stared at him with sense of empathy. With the occurrence athwart his very eyes made him conclude that what he had observed was indeed true.

 

"How did you do it?"

 

"I chose."

 

"Oh! I was right and you knew it.… But I already did that long ago."

 

"But you stayed too long making it more difficult."

"I can't help it. I know it's going to happen but I didn't know it'll be this bad."

 

"What are you going to do about it?"

 

"I don't know."

 

"And so you think drowning yourself with Whiskey help you solve it?"

 

"Yah! Yoon Jiho. I just need to sleep soundly tonight that's why I drunk... I need some sleep so... I can think..."

 

Then Jiho watched his friend being pulled down to slumber. He had cancelled his emergency surgery because of this, he could not even explain to himself why he rushed all the way from the hospital just to be with this punk who chose to doze up in front of him.

 

"You should have learned from me, Song Woo Bin." He uttered inwardly.

 

 

Yi Jeong was trying his best to concentrate on making himself sleep. Never in his life had he concentrated on the task of getting some sleep. He had tossed all the pillows out from him and grabbed them back and dumped them all over him. Turning and shifting positions were done already done, but sleep won't just come and pay him a visit.

 

He needed to sleep because if he wouldn't, he'd remain awake recalling the scene they had a while ago. Yes. He did kiss her for how much he had dreamed for it to happen, it did happen; twice actually. And it's what's keeping him awake so late at night. Every time he closed his eyes, all he could see was her face so close to him. His senses were deceiving him on how nice she smelled, how warm it was to feel her against his chest and her lips.

 

Yi Jeong couldn't get enough of how her lips felt against his, her strawberry lip gloss drove him crazy and her breath so warm and sweet. It's like her lips were fitted enough with his. And on that point, he recalled it again. Feeling defeated and fallen even more, Yi Jeong had no choice but to only shake his head.

 

He decided to simply go out of bed, went out and head to the kitchen to drink some cold water. He broke off in his truck after he closed the door behind; her room was there right in front of him. He wondered if she had slept already or like him, she remained sleepless. Slowly, Yi Jeong made his way to her door; he twisted the knob and pushed the door open. A little to his dismay Gaeul was already sleeping soundly.

 

With very light steps, he went nearer to her bed and lifted a bedside chair then placed it right where her sleeping form faced. He sat on it quietly, bowing a little while resting his elbows on his knees. Just enough for the light of the lamp to give him a full view of her face, Yi Jeong studied her appearance. She seemed so calm and serene and he couldn't deny the fact that she had become really beautiful and regal.

 

His finger made its way and traced every part of her pretty face, every detail. Her eyes, that when it opened could strip down his mask and read inside him. Those pretty brown eyes that spilt out tears even when she's happy, her orbs that were capable control anybody to do certain things her way. Then her sharp and pointed nose, which complemented her features; he remembered how Jandi envied that elegant nose of hers. Her soft and chubby cheek that blushes even with his touch or his merely close presence, and her lips, which taste so sweet the moment he claimed it. Those luscious pair of lips of her that would break into smiles and laughs even to silly and corny jokes.

 

It was still hard for Yi Jeong to believe that Gaeul was really with him over those years of longing and sadness. His life, his reason and his air were that close to him now. It felt like his dreaming but he's not. She's real and tangible. The only person he yearned for, Chu Gaeul.

 

Night is a wonderful opportunity to take a rest, to forgive, to daydream, to smile and to get ready for all the battle that you have to fight tomorrow. Good Night - anonymous