Almost

The Recognition

Almost

 

Darkness blanketed the entire room, broken bottles and ceramics were all around the furnished floors, bedside chairs and tables were knocked down on the floor. The flashing light on the vibrating phone was the only bright thing that makes the whole mess visible for the eyes; everything was dark and is covered with unforgiving atmosphere. His breathing was the only sound that could be heard from the entire room, yet his vision evinced pictures of the past that never could have happen if not because of him.

 

His life, his name, his fortune and his family all of it composed him. And because of those things the person he had learned everything, from regret and love could have left the world and it's all because of him. If not because of his background and his talent, his grandfather would never give interest on him. He would never be the sole reason why she's hurt. If only he was some other man… a normal one, she could never have suffered those things that had been attached to him being So Yi Jeong. Everything about him.

 

He had thought that what he had suffered from that exile would be on the extent of all the ill-fated chance than what had the people he left have undergone. But to his eagerness to protect and free them from harm, it was still them who had suffered more than him. She suffered more and it was all because of him.

 

All the things that his friends had told him flashed right in front of his eyes vividly, the sound of her scream and the skidding sound of wheels rubbing the road as the vehicle accelerated, the sound of ambulance coming, verbal communication from medics, the commotion inside the hospital, the sound of the life support machine, her deep and ceasing breathing and the sound of that machine alarming for a flat line. Everything had echoed in his ears.

 

His eyes became hazier as fresh batch of tears streaming down again. He couldn't help it, the pain it's suffocating and it's making him numb to the bones. The bleeding slit on his left cheek couldn’t even feign what he was feeling. Yi Jeong ached to destroy his hand until it become useless but he was all but incapable. If he was to destroy it he would also destroy her. She was the one who believed and made it work again. It would be like trying to kill her again and the reason would still be him. Consequently, what he did was turn everything around him disastrous and drowning himself with alcohol which he hadn't tasted for years.

 

Why couldn't he just turn back time? He would want to go back to that time he was supposed to meet her for the first time at the porridge shop. He wanted to be at the very moment when he himself was holding the door to enter. He would grab himself back on his car and drove away. Far away from the girl who would just get hurt by him in the future. Yi Jeong would be glad not to meet her so he wouldn't destroy her like what he did now.

 

 

The digital clock at the bedside table had indicated that it's 2:30 AM, rolling all over the bed and tossing all the pillows, she had done all of it just for Mr. Sleep to visit her. But he hadn't come, she desperately needed sleep with all her schedule for tomorrow. It was so unusual for her not to catch sleep, where she can dose off anytime even while standing. She felt worried for something but to what? She didn't know.

 

It was just until the clock struck 3:30 am that she had managed to close her eyes and drift down to slumber.

 

 

"WHY? WHY? TELL ME... WHY DID YOU LET ME LOVE HER? WHY? I DON'T DESERVE HER. JUST GET RID OF ME!" With large gasp of air he took as much as he can. "AAAAAHHHHHHHHH!" he had blown it out with all the pain, guilt and frustration he confined inside.  He had drained all his strength from that yell, all that his heart could carry. He slump back on the corner and curled himself like a lost and hungry child. His body was shaking not because of the cold but because of his anger crushing every bit of his bones, scaring his soul.

 

 

"That's enough Woobin-ah. Let him be like that for now, he needs that. He can't return to who he really is after all that he had discovered. We can’t interrupt him now. Yi Jeong has to deal and face that process." It was not just a statement but an order, Jiho had to ensure Woobin to trust Yi Jeong more, even at times like this. He knew it's hard for his friend to deal with it alone but he had to be put on fire, he needed to endure the process.

 

Woobin had always been the one to spoil Yi Jeong like a brother. Yi Jeong being the Maknae of F4 had always been clingy to them especially to him. He always would show that kind of attitude to them since he couldn't act like that with his parents. And for Woobin, though he agreed on giving his friend enough time alone cannot be settled and be calm at the moment. He had been calling him for several times already but he never picked-up. The worry wreck Junpyo had been yelling to him and Jiho giving them names to get his frustration on leaving Yi Jeong alone. And it made Woobin more frustrated.

 

But the demand from Jiho's part was sensible enough even if he argued. They’d been there at that exact position, maybe not as worst as Yi Jeong was having, but still. Apart from that, all of them had thought to themselves that nothing like this would happen if they never had welcome 'them' (Jandi & Gaeul) to enter their world. But currently both were, so all of them had to find ways to make things well, all together. And letting Yi Jeong undergo 'such', alone was a part of it.

 

 

A black 2013 Cadillac Escalade pulled-out and parked in front of patio's gate, a chauffeur went out and opened the door revealing a lady on her white lab coat. "Thank you, Mr. Lee" She addressed her gratitude to the chauffeur who smiled and nodded his head for acknowledgements.

 

"Are you sure you're not getting in?" She asked.

 

"I have to meet with the guys to see if his okay. Go ahead and take a rest. I'll see you later." She nodded at him and waved back. The door went close and the car left. She opened the gates and went towards the door. The moment she turned the knob and pushed the door open. She was greeted with her catatonic looking friend who's also reaching for the knob.

 

"Gaeul!" Jandi exclaimed, she was so shock to see her standing there with her eyes closed and tired expression.

 

"Are you okay?" Concern was written all over her face. Her friend gave her a slight smile and nodded. "Are you by chance sleep-walking?" She inquired again.

 

"No, I'm just so sleepy because I haven't had a descent sleep last night." She sighed. "But I'm okay." Gaeul added immediately.

 

"Why not take some sleep more?"

 

"I will later but I need to head to school first to submit my report and after I'll ask Teacher Jung if I can cancel my photography lesson for now. My head is floating and I'm sure I can't concentrate on his lessons today."

 

"Oh... That's right. Do you want me to call...?"

 

Jandi's statement was cut off by the honking sound. She then whipped her head at the side and saw the familiar car in front of their gate. "Just as when we need him." She stated with a satisfied smile. "Sunbae!" Jandi was waving her hand to someone and seeing her action, Gaeul forced her eyes open, blinking it for several times before focusing on the person Jandi was waving at.

 

"Oppa!" She called when she saw him walking towards them. She wrinkled her nose and gave him a slight smile.

 

"Yah! Why do you look like that?" Jandi saw how Woobin scrunch his face when he asked Gaeul. "Did you sleep late? The doctors said it's not good for you right?" He asked her again. Gaeul shook her head and tried to bulge her eyes out. "No. I slept early but something woke me up in the middle of the night and I wasn't able to go back to sleep until 3 AM." She reasoned out. "I..."

 

"That's enough explaining Gaeul, you need to pass that early so you can go back here and sleep. I'll cook something for us to eat later when you're back." Jandi diverted her attention to Woobin. "So Sunbae will give this sleeping thing a lift to school? As you can see, she's acting like she's fine while she can't even open her eyes fully. I entrust her to you. Now go!" She literally shoved her friend to Woobin and waved her hand to them. "Huh! You're getting the habit of them Jandi. I'll get back with you later." Gaeul threatened her but Jandi just shrug her shoulders to her.

 

"Okay. That's it. I'll go and send her now Jandi. You better go inside now and take some rest; you both look like zombies from The Walking Dead."

 

"Yah!" Both of the girls exclaimed while Woobin chuckled.

 

 

The ride was so peaceful and quiet. Woobin let Gaeul doze more on their way to her school. He had also informed Junpyo and Jiho that's he’d be a little late for their meeting. And since she's sleeping soundly Woobin chose to do some favors about her appointment to school. He had taken the liberty to pass her report and asked her photography mentor to cancel their lesson for the day. And just now, they were now heading back to the patio. In short she just went with him the whole time to doze off inside his car because Woobin couldn't find a reason to wake her up.

 

He extended his forefinger out and poked her face a little. "Gaeul-ah? Hey! Wake up we're here already." He said softly while poking her face, she stirred but did not wake up. Sighing a little, Woobin went out of the car and open the passenger's door. He was about to lift her out from the car when she bolted up and hitting her head with his.

 

"Ouch!" They both hissed from pain.

 

"Are you okay, Oppa? I'm so sorr... Oh!? Haven't we left yet?" She asked as keep turning her head around. Woobin didn't know how to react, if he’d cry for pain or laugh at her silliness. In the end he came chuckling at her bewilderment, and then he looked at her more confused expression. "Aish! What am I going to do with you? Seriously? Princess, we're here already and we've been at your school 30 minutes ago." He said to her in an amused and teasing tone. He couldn't help to feel bright around her; she's really a part of the Sun to him.

 

"Oh?! You mean we've been at school a while ago? But I can't remember being there or giving my... Don't tell me... Ah! You did not wake me up, Oppa!"

 

"That's because you sleep soundly and FYI I woke you up but you did not even stir a little. Okay. That's a lie but she will not kno..."

 

"You're lying!" It's not an accusation it's the truth, because Gaeul looked so sure about it.

 

Woobin gulped. Aish! Song Woobin you're doomed. Woobin was in the end of the cliff so he chose to nod his head very slowly and gave her a forced smile.

 

"Aish!" She looked disappointed and her lips were on thin line. He looked at her sighing and then broke into a smile. "I can't do anything about it anymore, right? Since you settled everything already and I also used some of your time. I'll just say my gratitude speech. Thank you Woobin Oppa!” She beamed. “But...! Don’t do that again, okay?"

 

"Yes Princess!" He sounded enthusiastic than he had expected.

 

"You felt relieved, Oppa?" Then she laughed a loud. Woobin really was relieved. He had expected her to be upset again but she did not, making it easier for him to finish his whole day positive. "Okay. Enough of the teasing get up there and take some rest. I have to go now or else Junpyo is having me for lunch."

 

She went out and stood in front of him sticking her tongue like a five year old. "Copy!" And there she came again partially charged. He held her shoulders pushing her to walk towards the gates while shaking his head. He opened the gates, shoved her in and swayed his left hand at her signaling her to go inside the house.

 

"Bye Oppa. Drive safely." He heard her call back when she reached the front door.

 

"I will" he replied, went back to his car and left.

 

____________________________________________________________________________________

A/N: A little buzz can make me post the next chap :) Thank you !