Chapter 6

Can You See Me Now?

It was 5AM in the morning. Haneul was sitting by the window alone in the kitchen, holding a mug filled with warm camomile tea. She couldn't sleep well for the past few days, not because of the new school she would be attending later on, but someone. Someone was lingering on her mind. She took another deep breathe in, taking in more of the freshness from the morning air. Haneul could smell the morning dews dawdling around the garden. The lights in the kitchen wasn't switched on, Haneul didn't even bother about it.

Jaehyo. Throughout the 7 years, Haneul hasn't really been thinking about him. She goes to school, meet new friends, living a life of her own. Back then she knew that she had to forget him, because in reality she would never get to see him again. What's the point of holding onto someone you'll never see again? It wasn't easy to forget him but time allowed everything. Now it's different. Maybe they'll meet again. Memories started to flood her mind, and a pang of guilt suddenly hit her without her knowing the reason.

"It's just a small crush back then, that's all. Puppy love." Haneul thought out loud, concluded her feelings for Jaehyo. "It's been so long, the feelings wouldn't be there anymore. Right?"

She didn't realise it was already 6:30AM until the kitchen light flicked on.

"Hey sweetheart, you're up already?" Her mom came walking in. "Come, lemme help you for your first day of school."

 

The alarm clock by the window went off and startled the person sleeping underneath it. He lazily shifted his position on his bed, and continued drifting off to sleep. Someone went into his room to turn off the alarm and sat on his bed.

"Jiho, wake up! You're not going to be late for the first day of school." He nudged him.

"Wait, lemme finish this part.. I've not finish shopping yet.."

"You only have 10 more minutes to shop. That better be a marathon." And he walked out of the room.

"Minhyuk, breakfast is ready! Where's Jiho?"

"He doesn't want to wake up."

"Again? It's the first day of school!" Jihoon shouted intentionally, hoping Jiho could hear him.

"He's dead." Jihoon declared. He pulled out his phone, picked a song and played out loud on maximum volume.

 

Baby~ Negae banhae beorin negae wae irae ♫

Dureopdago mulleoseoji malgo

Geunyang naegae matgyeobwala eoddae My lady~ ♫

Ring ding dong ring ding dong~

Ring diggi ding diggi ding ding ding~ ♫

 

The rest of the boys started laughing when they heard Jiho cursing in his room.

"YAH JIHOON! STOP THAT OR I WILL REALLY RING YOUR DING DONG!!" Jiho dashed out of his room and chased Jihoon around the house. Taeil and Yookwon chocked on their orange juice after hearing what Jiho said. This was their usual morning, noisy but comedic. Like always, Minhyuk would hand Jiho his apple juice to cool him down.

"Like always, you're not forgiven! Next time when I wake you up I'll fart all over your face! Ever heard of machine guns?"

"Hurry up Jiho, or you'll be late for school!" Taeil warned him.

It has been a year since they had lived together. Jiho, Taeil, Minhyuk, Yookwon and Jihoon. Even though not all of them will be attending the same university, they still insist that they should stay together. Because of the promise, all of them wanted to fulfill it. Jaehyo, on the other hand, couldn't do so. He couldn't live together with his good friends because of his parents. But he was relieved that his parents allowed him to live his own life, let him choose the university he wanted to attend, and Jaehyo has always been very close with his good friends. Then again, there's this one thing that kept bothering him. The marriage issue.

 

Kyung was on his way to school. He was really looking forward though, not because of studying, but meeting his childhood friends. Everyone who had walked passed him was looking at him weirdly, he couldn't stop grinning and because of that, he ended up smiling at everyone on the street. While waiting for the traffic light, three guys around his age stood beside him and Kyung overheard their conversation. He wasn't really eavesdropping on them, they were actually talking quite loudly.

"The toast was a little burnt today you know, you should've be more careful."

"I know right! But the omelette was good though, so it balance out."

"Forget about breakfast, but what you said this morning! What went through your mind when you said that?"

"What did I say?"

"RING YOUR DING DONG? For goodness sake! You've a girlfriend now! You should've mind your words! What if she was there this morning? It could've been so embarrassing!"

"I was just kidding! Maybe it was only you who will think THAT way?"

"WHAT?"

"Isn't it? Come on, I was sleeping so peacefully and THAT song woke me up! YOU DON'T KNOW HOW I FELT BACK THEN! Words just came out like that!"

YOU DON'T KNOW HOW I FELT? Wait, this sound familiar.

"Don't you do that again, Jiho! She's your first girlfriend! Be careful of what you say, or she might feel offended!"

"Come on! Haewon wouldn't mind! She's nothing like that!"

JIHO!! WOO JIHO?

Kyung turned his head and studied that Jiho guy. He was tall, taller than Kyung himself. Lean, and has very dark brown and wavy hair. He couldn't really tell if that guy was the Jiho he was thinking about, until what happened next.

"Kyung!" Kyung's mom called out from a distance and walked hurriedly towards him. "You forgot your phone. How careless of you! And I don't know if I should tell you this, but Haneul's in hospital now. She was hit by a bicycle. Thank God she only had scratches! But it looks bad though. Do you wanna make a trip to the hospital with me?"

Kyung don't know whether to laugh or cry. He looked over at his mother, and then quickly back to the three guys beside him. The three of them had their mouth wide opened, apparently in shock.

"K-Kyung? Park Kyung?" That Jiho guy stepped forward and asked him. "And.. Haneul?"