Chapter 4

Can You See Me Now?

7 years later..

A taxi was seen passing by through the streets, stopping in front of a house. It was a busy neighborhood, with students walking home after school in groups and the sound of housewives chattering on trivial subjects can be clearly heard. It was a breezy afternoon, the sun not so willingly showing itself. The taxi pulled over and the driver came out from his seat to unload the luggages belonging to his customers. Two young adults stepped out and observed the scene in front of them. It was a small house, but judging from its facade, you could tell that it was a cozy one. There was a sign on the front door which read 'HOME♥SWEET♥HOME', and even though the house is newly renovated, the smell of paint and new furniture was barely there. Colorful scented flowers were vined and twining around the garden, creating a vibe which is similar like a secret garden. To the three of them, the house is perfect.

Noticing that the letter box is full, Kyung walked over the pathway to collect the letters. He forcefully pulled open the handle and letters of different shapes and sizes begin falling out, scattering on the floor. He mumbled a cuss and picked up all of them. Just then, a girl with a head of dark chocolate brown hair wearing blue flowey dress walked towards Kyung. She squatted down beside him and helped him.

"Where's mom?" Kyung asked.

"In her room unpacking." She answered. "We've to give her time. She has to adjust herself emotionally, for the fact that daddy isn't here with us anymore."

"She still have us, Haneul. She knows that we wouldn't leave her. I love her too much to do so."

"Me too." And Haneul smiled at her brother.

Haneul was 15 when she found out that her father was leaving. With another woman of course. Unlike other wives who would threatened to commit suicide, or even cried till no more tears were left, their mother took the matter as though she'd see it coming. She didn't want money from him, just wanting her children to be by her side. Even when signing the divorce papers, she remained firm and strong, showing no sign of struggling at the thought of living her new life alone.

"People change." That was what their mother told them.

On the other hand, Kyung was furious of course. He couldn't believe that for once, such a happy family, could be destroyed so easily. Kyung had promised himself to take responsibility of his mother and sister, he had to. After much thought, the three of them have decided to abandon their lives living in New Zealand and returned back to where they belong.

"How about some lunch, sweetheart?" Their mom called out to them, standing at the front door.

Kyung and Haneul stood up and look towards where the voice came from. And there is their mother, all ready to raise her two children without the help or the companionship of a husband.

 

After lunch, the three of them sat down on the dining table and began sorting out the letters. They were all mostly notifications about their house, the neighborhood and some other flyers. While sorting, Kyung began drifting away. He remembered the promise he made with his childhood friends, he always had. But there's a problem. Since all of them had moved houses, he have no idea how to contact them. How is it possible to see them then? He thought to himself. It was very difficult.

"Hey, it's your letter Kyung!" Haneul waved at her brother. "Star High University!"

"REALLY? WHERE!" Kyung snapped back from his thoughts and grabbed the letter from Haneul's hand.

It really is from Star High University. Kyung opened the letter hastily and read its content. His mom moved behind and joined him. The letter was about his successful application to the university, and school will start in a month's time. He was also reminded to settle the miscellaneous stuff a week before school starts.

"I'm so proud of you, Kyung!" His mom patted his head.

Kyung couldn't hold his contentment, because he knew that maybe he'll meet his friends there too. Going to Star High University wasn't only his dream, but his childhood friends' too.

7 years. Everything can change, everyone can change.

Will they be there too? Will they make it there? Or would they even remember?