Chapter 2

Can You See Me Now?

He was 10. She was 8. He was holding her little hand. They were both standing on the path leading to the playground. The sound of little kids giggling and screaming could be heard. The wind was gentle on that day, blowing softly like whispers and tangling with her hair.

"Haneul, relax! You're here to meet my friends. I'm not selling you away or something." Kyung finally broke the silence after feeling his sister's grip on his hand tighten. "Come on, don't be scared. Kyung oppa is here."

Haneul wasn't scared. But actually, she was petrified. Being here with many kids without her mom for the first time actually scared the hell out of her. She wasn't very sociable unlike Kyung, and everytime when she plays with other kids, she'll either end up getting bullied or she'll be the one pulling other kid's hair. Her brother has thought that maybe introducing Haneul to his friends would make her become more out-going, since his bunch of friends were like monkeys. And he also knows that his friends would protect Haneul like how he would protect her whenever she's been builled. They all were like mini Hulk or something.

"KYUNG!!" A kid came running towards them, and Haneul's hand tighten even more. He jumped towards Kyung and give him a tight hug. "OH MY GOSH! DID YOU HEARD THE LIGHTNING YESTERDAY? I ALMOST PEED IN MY PANTS! IT WAS SO SCARY~ YOU DON'T KNOW HOW I FELT!"

"Oh Jiho! You can't heard lightning, that was a thunder! And yes it was scary, but I never once did want to pee! Guess I'm more braver than you are!" Kyung said while laughing hard.

"Really?" Jiho raised an eyebrow.

"Yes definitely."

"Right, whatever. Please don't tell the others or they'll make fun of me. I'm only telling you because you're MY BEST FRIEND!! And I just have to tell someone." He resumed hugging his best friend again.

"Hey Kyung! Who's she?" More kids came running towards them. "Jiho, let go! Or else I'll tell them about your peeing thing!" Kyung whispered harshly to Jiho.

Jiho immediately let go. He can't risk anything.

"Hey guys! She's my sister, Haneul! I've finally persuaded my mom to let me bring her to show you guys. You all should be honored. She's the legendary sister I've been telling you guys about. Isn't she adorable~" He said proudly.

"Yes, she really is adorable! But not with that dress though."  One of them said with his tongue sticking out. When Haneul heard those words, she immediately shot a 'TAKE THAT DESIGNER WANNABE!' glare at her brother.

"Whatever Taeil, DON'T LOOK AT HER THEN!" Kyung was slightly annoyed being doubt. Was it that ugly?

"Come on, let's go play together! You're blocking people's way." One tall kid spoke. "And can I hold you sister's hand? She looks like she wants to beat you up or something."

Kyung kneeled down and whispered to Haneul, "Okay I'm sorry! At most I'll eat all your veggies tonight, deal?" When he saw her smiling, Kyung was relieved. He didn't want to be bald at such a young age.

For the rest of the afternoon, the eight of them had fun playing together. Haneul was approaching them slowly at first; but once she saw them screaming, jumping, running and giggling stupidly around the playground, she laughed at them and started screaming madly with them too. She was surprised that her brother's friends were not like those who had played with her. All of them were very nice to her. When she started to get clumsy and fall over, his friends would always be there to catch her before she fell hard on her face. They would let her win in almost every game, not like the others who would run away and call for their mommy. It seemed like winning or losing did not matter to them at all, because all they wanted was for Haneul to be happy. For the first time, she's felt special. She felt like a princess in that ugly dress. For once, she felt like she have friends. Real friends.

 

And oh, did I mention it? That little boy who has offered for Haneul's hand. Haneul sweared that he was the most delicate person she has ever met. Or maybe not? She's only 8. He would never let go of her hand, no matter where they go. He would always ask her to smile, tell her to be careful, and demand little Kyung to let his sister win. To Haneul, he was like the prince charming she saw and read from her fairytale books. She could not believe that she could have a prince charming for herself. Haneul was very sure that he was her prince charming when she saw him riding the plastic dinosaur at the playground.  And oh, his name is Jaehyo. Little Jaehyo.