Trade Off

After School Dating Club

"S'sup, fellows?" Kai clicked his tongue and pointed his finger at Kris, who was sitting beside Suho. He walked in leisurely stride into the room and threw himself on one of the empty chairs. 

"What do you want Kai?" Kris asked, his voice sounding rough and his eyes concerned. "Nothing," Kai shrugged, "I just wanted to confirm something. You guys set me up with Jinhee, right?" 

Suho could feel the atmosphere in the room froze for a moment. Kyungsoo's eyes were shifting from right to left in nervousness as he avoided Kai's scanning eyes. Sehun's smile loosened up and turned into an upside down crescent. Luhan was holding his cup ramen and froze still with the chopsticks stuck inside the cup. Kris was the most relaxed one, who just leaned a little onto the back rest of the sofa. "What are you saying, Kai? What set up?" 

"The girl following me around even to the spot where I eat lunch. The sudden encouragement to her so that she confessed to me even though I have noticed her hanging around me for a while, all of that," Kai crossed over his legs, "Well?" he raised his eyebrows. 

"What nonsense are you saying?" Luhan joined in with Kris. 

"Don't play dumb," Kai's lips twisted into a slight smirk, "I went on a date with her today and she told me about this club where she got all the help and encouragement from." 

Sehun let out a curse under his breath, which Suho managed to hear it. "But, why are you framing us?" he heard Kris asked. 

Kai chuckled, "I am not someone who speaks on something so groundless," he held up a mini iPad, which he was holding "Kyungsoo-ah, I think it's yours, right?" Kyungsoo stiffened and nodded. "Well, Mr.Do here forgot to take this thing and left it on his desk. I was taking a shower and the screen started lighting up frequently so I decided to flip it over and face it down. But the blinking messages caught my attention." 

Everyone was now looking at Kyungsoo, who froze up in spot. 

"It was all the messages from those who wanted help regarding their love life. And all I had to do was to swipe," Kai held up his right finger and glided across the screen, "on the screen and the whole universe unfolded in front of me just like that." More intense glares were shot at Kyungsoo, who was now looking at the floor. 

"So? Any explanation?" Kai asked again in an irritating sing-song voice. 

"Seriously, Kai, you saw the whole thing. Why are you being so difficult?" Suho decided to stand up and face Kai, who was getting on his nerve, "What do you want, exactly?" he decided to ask him, face on. Kai smiled and switched his position, from sitting upright to crossing his legs. "Well, what do you have to offer?" 

"What do you want?" Kris joined in forces with Suho, asking him the same question. 

"Is this club official?" he asked. 

"Do you think it's official?" Luhan questioned him while rolling his eyes. Kai shrugged, "Meh~" he replied. Sehun kept throwing dirty looks at Kai, he looked like he could pounce on Kai and started throwing fists at him. 

"Well, I was actually thinking of going to report it to Professor Oh so that she could see how star students," Kai's eyes grazed over Kris and Luhan, "could be doing something very shady behind the closed doors." 

He is such an annoying person, Suho thought to himself and looked at Kris and Luhan, who looked slightly worried. But, being such a cold-blooded guy Kris is, he maintained his composure. "You can go and do that if you would like. But, why are you coming to talk to us even though you know what you would like to do?" 

"Oh, smart captain, aren't you?" Kai uncrossed his legs, "I want a place in this club." 

"WHAT?" Sehun shouted with rage. "WHY?" 

"You know, for fun? Aren't clubs supposed to be fun?" he smiled but it's not the irritating smirk at all. It's the smile of a humble teenager. 

"NO!" Sehun protested, "I don't want you in this club!" 

"Sehunnie~" Luhan hugged Sehun by the shoulder with one arm and dragged him away, "Come here. We'll all talk. Suho, Yifan, Kyungsoo, shall we all have a word?" he walked up the stairs to his bed and the rest followed except Kai. 

"Dudes, we all need to talk. Seriously." he put Sehun, who looked crossed on his bed and sat beside him, the rest sat on the floor. "I think we only have two options as of right now." 

"What are they?" Suho asked. 

"Break up the club. Or let the kid come in so that he can shut up." Luhan whispered, half worried that Kai might hear the word "kid" as a reference to him. "I really don't want to break up the club though, it's such a fun club for me." 

"Me too," the other guys chimed in. 

"Do you want to get the kid on board?" Luhan asked. "I don't want to!" Sehun hissed, "I don't like him, he looks evil!" Kris frowned, "Sehun, you haven't even spoken to him yet. I don't think he's a bad kid. It's just how his face falls. He was in one of my introductory archery session, wasn't hard to handle. If it is going to be like you said, we have to trade-off between Sehun's happiness of being in the group against us being exposed." 

"Suho?" Luhan questioned. Suho budged, "Ermmm...This is my first year here so I don't know many people. But if you ask me, I'd say add the kid on board because you never know, right?" Kris nodded slowly in agreement, "Yeah, let's say he told Professor Oh and I don't think she'll be very impressed with the theme of the club even though we don't violate the rules. And, that could go down in our reference forever." 

"What reference?" asked Sehun. 

"Sehunnie," Kris ruffled Sehun's hair, "it's the life and death of a high school student, you apply universities with that and if we screwed up, we're doomed for life...well, at least for a period of life." Sehun crinkled his nose, "Okay, however you want to do it, you guys. I still don't like him so don't expect me to talk to him." 

"Don't you guys talk in class since you guys are in the same year?" Kris asked, his eyes narrowed, which says he's curious. Sehun shook his head, "The only words we exchanged was hello and that was pretty much it." 

"So, Kai," Suho walked down the stairs and called for Kai, who was still lounging comfortably on one of the sofa. He looked up and walked towards Suho, who continued talking, "it's fine if you want to join us but if you must know, we are only doing this for fun and we want no harm so it'll be the best if you don't ruin this club." 

"I know," he replied in a rather cocky voice, "I just want to join it for fun."

"Okay," Kris interruped, "so would you be willing to write up a letter promising that you will never sell us out?"

"Sure," Kai shrugged, "not a big problem. Give me a piece of pen and paper." Luhan reached for the pile of papers in his desk's drawers and pulled out several sheets as well as a pen to hand them out to Kai, who took them and started writing.

Five excruciatingly silent minutes later. 

"Here," he handed over the paper to Suho, "you're the leader, right?" 

"Sort of," Suho replied while scanning the paper, "I, Kim Jongin....wait what? Your name in Jongin?" 

Kai gave Suho a blank stare, "Yeah, you don't know?" Suho shook his head, "No? This is my first year here. I guess there are a lot of people who are like me then," he continued reading, "I, Jongin, make a vow that if I am counted as a number of the After School Dating Club, I will follow all the rules set by the club and not betray the whole club." 

"Are you sure?" Sehun added, with a suspicious tone in this voice. Kai threw him a glance, "I'm a man, okay? I keep my word." 

Suho folded the paper and handed to Luhan, who is a keen individual to keep track of all the work that they have done. So, "Kai, since you're officially joined our group so...." 

"Suho," Kai stopped Suho in the middle of his sentence, "Trust me. I am a man, I live by my own words." 

"I was not going to say anything about the rule," Suho smiled softly and extended his right arm, "welcome to the club." Kai took it and the two of them shared a firm handshake. 

 

x

 

Note: Ah...this update took pretty long...