Chapter 1

In Search of Happiness

The sun was rising and the light easily penetrated her abstract printed curtain on her bedroom's window. She raised from her bed with a lighter feeling than mornings before. She had things to do today and she's a bit excited. It's ironic, really, because the day was also the day she would die, deliberately.

She made a toast and a cup of coffee for breakfast, and spent the rest of the morning to clean and tidy her apartment room. She didn't want people, or the police, coming in later and see her room in a mess, she didn't want people to think that she was some lonely lunatic that better off dead, which was exactly she feels about herself.

She showered and put on her clothes. She decided to put on light make up on her face although she knew it wouldn't matter by the end of the day. At least this way people would see her as a normal girl strolling through the city on a normal day. She gave a bitter smile to her reflection on the mirror. Despite the slight excitement she had, her eyes was still cold and sad. The smile she let out always came out bitter because it didn't reach her eyes, and that's exactly she was staring at on the mirror right now.

She hated it.

The concert would start in three hours, so she decided to go now. She grabbed her bag and walked to the door. She turned around again and took time to look at her apartment room for one last time. The apartment was a place that was closest to being called 'home' for the last five years, everything she had were in this room, and now she's going to abandon and leave it all. They're going to be lonely, just like herself.

"I'm sorry..and thank you." She whispered.

She turned again and opened the door, ready to walk out from her life.

 

 

 

♦ ♦ ♦

 

 

 

Several blocks apart, MBLAQ was already on the backstage preparing themselves for the concert. The atmosphere was a mixture of nervousness, excitement and frustations. Staffs were pacing back and forth trying to make sure everything's set while the members were trying to shake off the nervousness by playing jokes with each other.

Finally it's time for them to go up to the stage. Yang Seungho, the leader of the group, gathered the members and said a short speech to boost everyone's confidence, they shouted a cheer and rushed off to the stage.

The concert stage was dark without any lights but fans were already cheering and shouting the members name, expecting them to come out anytime. When they finally did, the cheers were louder than before. Lights were shining from every angle, strengthen MBLAQ's stage presence but also blinded them from seeing their fans face.

The sounds of fans cheering, lightsticks, and boards were the only things that makes them realize that the venue was packed. Every doubt and nervousness they had earlier were swept away by their happiness for having so many people supported them

 

The first song started, and then the second, third, fourth, and so on. The concert was already on its half part, where the members were having their own solo stage. It's time for Yang Seungho to sing.

He went up on the stage where a big grand piano have been placed on the right side of the stage. He was going to sing 'Clean' by The Ray while playing the piano. He sat on the chair in front of the piano and closed his eyes for a second then started singing.

He sang the song wholeheartedly and could hear some fans shouting his name. He's done singing the song and, as usual, now he have to walked to the front of the stage and bow to the audience. When he was just got up from the piano, something grabbed his attention. There was a girl, she was sitting in the front row right across the stage's lyrics

Seungho didn't notice her before, but right now the stage lights were dimmed so he could see her clearly and she was crying. It's not the first time a fan cry at the concert, but usually they cry histerically or cry out of happiness. This girl Seungho saw did neither of that, she was crying silently looking very sad and he doesn't think anyone around her realize it. Seungho feel a little bit taken aback but decided to just shrugged it off because maybe the girl was crying due to the song he was singing

The concert goes on and they performed as a group again. Seungho found it hard to concentrate fully on it, fortunately the song and dance routines were already come naturally to him so he doesn't do any mistakes. Seungho could still see the girl on her seat from time to time, when the lights were going on his favor, and she still has that sad and broken look on her face. He could still see tears glistening on her eyes.

"What's wrong?" He wanted to shout it out badly, he wanted her to tell him what it is that makes her cry.

 

The last performance ended and MBLAQ left the stage after saying thank you to their fans. Before he left the stage, Seungho turned his head to see the girl for the last time. She was standing, just like everyone else right now, and was staring right into his eyes.

She smiled, mouthed 'Thank you..' to him and left her seat.

There's no way he could see her in the middle of the crowd. Even when they're back at their dressing room, Seungho couldn't make his mind in peace but he couldn't do anything about it either.

"What was the 'thank you' for?"

 

 

 

♦ ♦ ♦

 

 

 

After the concert, MBLAQ was having dinner together with some of the staffs to celebrate their succesful concert tonight. More than half people in this VIP room were drunk and the rest were going to be drunk soon by the amount of alcohol they keep on ordering.

Seungho was already sober because he stopped accepting drinks half an hour ago. "I need a fresh air, I'm going out for a while," Seungho whispered to G.O who was talking nonstop besides him. He put on his hat and sat outside of the restaurant, enjoying the night's air.

A girl was walking passed the restaurant in front of him a moment later, it was her, the girl from the concert. Seungho recognize her because of her jacket. She was wearing washed blue jeans, white shirt and dark red jacket on top of it. She walked without noticing Seungho at the front of the restaurant.

 

After a while, Seungho found himself walking behind the girl. 'What are you doing, Seungho?' he asked himself and pull his hat deeper so people won't recognize him. He knew it was wrong to follow a stranger in the middle of the night, but he couldn't help it.

The girl's eyes were so broken and sad. He saw those eyes once from Joon when he was in the bottom of his life, and he's worried over this girl whose eyes remind him of that. The girl sometimes stares into the sky as if waiting to find something there, or maybe someone. When they reached the crossroad, the girl stopped and so did Seungho.

She was standing on the side of the road and doing nothing.

Something about it made Seungho anxious and worried, and his feelings didn't lie to him because a moment later he saw the girl letting her bag fall down and started walking to cross the road with a car coming fast from the left. Seungho's body reacted faster than his mind, he grabbed the girl's hands and pulled her hard toward himself. They found themselves laying down on the pavement without realizing what happened, with Seungho huging the girl tightly in his arms.

His heart was beating so fast from the adrenaline and he was glad about his decision to follow her.

"Let go of me," she said. Seungho was hesitant but loosened his arms nonetheless, "Why?" She was staring at him now, no tears and no signs of fear, just merely wanted an answer as to why he ruined her plan to die. He's trying hard to find an answer, one that wouldn't offends her or makes her feel pitied.

"I don't want people to die in front of me," he finally answered sternly

"Then go.."

"No."

"Yang Seungho-ssi, I don't know what are you trying to do here, but please just go." she said with blank expression. She was slightly surprised when she recognize him but she didn't care about who's in front of her right now. The only thing going on in her mind was how she's still alive and she's pissed about it.

"So you could jump in front of random cars again? No."

Both were trying hard to not lose his/herself in front of the other. Aira tried to keep herself collected despite the fact that arguing with someone over her plan to die was not something she ever prepared to do. She knows that Seungho only did what was right, but she doesn't want anyone to do the right thing for her now, everything's too late, she's already prepared to die.

On the other hand, Seungho tried his best not to scream, shout or drag the girl in front of him to the nearest mental house.

"Fine. " She grabbed her bag and walked away. Seungho knows he had ruin her suicide plan but he doesn't know whether she would try to do it again. He's already involved, he couldn't just walk away and pretend he doesn't know.

"Dammit!" He decided to follow her again to wherever she goes. Aira knew he was following her but she doesn't care, and Seungho knows that she knew. They walked into the night in silence.

 

Aira went back to her apartment, walked into the elevator and pushed the 5th floor button. Inside the elevator, she was standing against the wall with her eyes closed while Seungho keeps staring her trying to guess what's on her mind. The elevator door opened and they went outside. She entered the lock password and went into the room. She still acts as if Seungho's not there, hoping that he wouldn't follow her inside the room but he did.

She threw her bag to the couch, went to the kitchen and brought a bottle of beer to the veranda with her. Seungho realized that she wasn't going to talk or even acknowledge that he was there, but he's got no intention to leave. He grab a beer for himself and sat besides her on the veranda.

She lit her cigarette and blew the smoke out of her lips towards the sky. A moment later Seungho noticed that his phone was ringing, the caller ID showed Mir's number. He got back inside the room and answered it

"Yeah?"

'"Where the hell are you?" It was G.O talking, sounding a little bit pissed.

"I need to take care of something. Can you tell manager hyung that my family needs me and I'm going to spend the night in my home? I'll make sure to not miss tomorrow's schedule."

"You're in Anyang right now?? How did you get there? You didn't bring your car!"

"..M..My father picked me up earlier." Seungho lied.

"What happened? Is it urgent? Why didn't you tell us before you left?" G.O sounded worried.

"No, it was nothing big and I was kind of in a hurry. So, can you?"

"I'll talk to him. Just don't be late tomorrow."

"Thanks, Byunghee." He hanged up and sighed. He never lie to the members but he doesn't know what else to say. He went back to the veranda and sat, he pulled out one of Aira's cigarettes and lit it.

'What is wrong with you, Seungho? You don't have to stay here and lie to your members!' he asked himself but he knew the answer already. He believed that this girl besides him, who he doesn't even know the name, would try to kill herself the moment he left.

They sat in silence for the next two hours. Seungho realized that she fell asleep with her head resting on her knee, he carried her inside the room. He opened the door that he thought was her bedroom, which turned out to be right, and put her on the bed. He opened the blanket and cover her with it.

 

He sighed, thinking how could he be there in the middle of the night taking care of a girl he doesn't know. He went out of her room and looked around the apartment for the first time. Her apartment was nice and pretty big, but he feels something's missing from it. He looked around and realized that everything was too plain and sad. 

"No pictures of family or friend, huh?", he said to no one in particular. 'She's lonely..' a thought came to his head while he toured the whole apartment. Even the guitar who was on the corner of the living room looks lonely, with spiderwebs around it showing that it hasn't been played for a long time.

He saw a pile of mails and bills on the top of the kitchen counter and take a look at them trying to find any clue of what her name is. He read the name that was on a mail,

"Shin Aira, so that's her name.." He put the mail back and headed across the room. He opened the bathroom door and saw something that made his heart sank. The mirror on top of the sink was scribbled with a red lisptick with words. 

 

'Thank you world, but I have to leave..'