Chapter 8

In Search of Happiness

A melodic sounds echoed through the whole apartment telling Aira that it's time for her to start her day. Being the light sleeper that she was, she opened her eyes just seconds after the instrumental music she set as her alarm reached her ears. She rolled towards her bedside table she turned it off and glanced at the time.

"05.30.. I should really get used to waking up early.." She mumbled and pushed her comforter aside.

She walked towards the bathroom with a slight nervous heart, knowing that today was her first day of work as MBLAQ's manager. She didn't know anything about entertainment industry, but Byungki promised to help her and tell her everything she should know. After letting the warm water from the shower fully wake her up, she grabbed her towel to cover her body and headed back to her room.

Her phone was blinking on her bed and she opened a new message from Byungki that came when she was in the shower.

 

I'll be there in fifteen minutes.

 

It's the day of MBLAQ's comeback stage on Inkigayo and yesterday Byungki said he would be picking her up from her apartment. Together, they would drive to the dorm where the guys would be waiting for them. Glancing towards her clock, she realized she didn't really have much time to make herself look good. She put on her usual ripped jeans and a tshirt under her sweater.

She brushed her hair and just let it down to her waist, then putting on her pink lipgloss when she realized how pale she looked, the result of never having contact with the sun. When she heard the door bell rang, she glanced once again at the mirror and smiled.

"Fresh start, Aira. Fighting!"

She grabbed her purse and ran to her door, where her impatient guest kept on abusing the door bell. She opened it wide and greeted by her grinning coworker.

"Morning, Aira. You ready?"

"Nae. You don't have to ring the bell that much, you know." She walked out and locked her door.

"Did you eat breakfast yet?" He asked while they're heading to the elevator.

"Nope, I'm not used at eating this early." She shrugged.

"Well, you can always eat something at the boys' dorm. We usually have our breakfast there." 

Byungki leaded her to the van, which he drove from the company this morning. The drive from Aira's apartment to the dorm only took twenty minutes because the street at this hour was still empty. The moment they stepped inside MBLAQ's dorm, Aira could hear people pacing back and forth inside. 

"Oh you're here, now it's your turn to wake Seungho hyung up, I'm going to hit the shower fast." Cheondung said to the two as he walked past them without his shirt. When he realized that Byungki wasn't alone, he stepped back and turned his head towards Aira with wide eyes, "OH! I forgot that you're our manager too now. I'm sorry noona!" he ran to the bathroom where Byunghee just got out with a towel around his torso, his hair dripping wet.

Aira pretend she didn't see anything and walked inside the kitchen. Kevin, the senior manager, was there preparing breakfast. Or rather, he was putting the breakfast he bought from the restaurant to eight different plates. He looked up from what he was doing and smiled at her.

"You didn't have any chance to eat right? I bought breakfast for you too." He pointed to the plates.

"Ah, thank you, sunbae." She approached him, "Let me help you."

Not long after, Byungki walked into the kitchen with a distressed face, "Aira, you wake him up, I give up."

"Hahahaha, Seungho?" Kevin laughed.

"Nae. Aira, come on." He grabbed the plate Aira was holding and put it on the table, then pulled her hands to exit the kichen with him. He stopped in front of Seungho's room, his door was already opened.  

"Figthing!" Byungki grinned.

"Why me?"

"He always gets irritated when someone woke him up, maybe he won't if it's you."

"As if it would make a difference.." She mumbled.

"Just try, I'll be making sure the others are ready." He left to Mir's room leaving Aira alone in front of Seungho's door. She sighed and walked inside, she found him on his bed with his back facing her. She the light and approached him.

"Seungho, wake up, we have to go soon." She nudged his shoulder. He groaned but continued sleeping, "Seungho, wake up.." she shook his shoulder harder.

Seungho turned his back and slowly opening his eyes, ready to protest to whoever dared to disturb his sleep. He smiled the moment he saw Aira.

Oh, she's our manager now. I could really get used to her waking me up every morning..

"You're here?" He rub his eyes and sat up.

"Come on, get ready." Aira pulled him out of the bed.

Aira's hands were cold and without realizing it he grabbed her palms with his free hand, "Why is it so cold? Is it that cold outside?" he rubbed her palms with his own to make her warmer. 

"Eh? Oh. Nae. It's almost winter, what do you expect." She pulled her palms out from his and stood up, "Now, let's go get ready. Everyone is already done showering."

Aira walked outside the room and he followed, scratcthing his neck with a smile on his face.

Was she nervous? How cute.

"Aigoo..look who's smiling early in the morning. From today onwards, it's your job to wake him up, Aira!" Kevin shouted while putting the plates on the table.

"The food, I'm smiling because of the food!"

 

 

 

♦ ♦ ♦

 

 

 

After a busy morning at the dorm, everyone finally ready to go. Byungki drove the van with Aira on the passenger seat and MBLAQ members on the back. At the SBS building, a lot of fans were waiting despite the early hours. The members came out one by one and greeted them. Byungki and Aira walked behind them and she noticed several fans who shouted his name.

"You got fans?" She raised one of her eyebrows at him.

"Well.." He raised his chin and acted smug, Aira smacked his arms and laughed. The fans were curious about Aira because they never saw her before.

"Oppa, who's that?"

"Oppa, is she MBLAQ's new stylist?"

"Unnie, what's your name? Are you Byungki's oppa girlfriend?" Aira could hear them popping out questions.

"She's pretty right?" Byungki joked with them.

"Yeesss. Is she your girlfriend?" They asked again.

Seungho heard the little commotion behind him and scoffed. Your girlfriend? You wish..

"Well..." Byungki smirked michiveously, making them more excited.

"She's your girlfriend!! What's her name??" Aira pinched his arms to stopped him. She didn't really comfortable with the attention and Byungki just made it worse.

"Ahahahahaha no no, I was kidding. She's MBLAQ's new manager, Shin Aira, please take care of her.." He said and Aira bowed to them with a smile. They walked into the building and headed straight to the dressing room.

"You love the attention, do you?" Aira said to Byungki.

"Hahahaha of course, you'd have fans of your own later." He laughed and grabbed the heavier bag that Aira had and switched it with the lighter one.

"Why?" She asked as they found the dressing room.

"Because I'm good looking, and you... you're pretty. Is that not a good reason?" He said playfully, holding the door for her after everyone got in.

"Stop flirting with her, Byungki. Do you bring the drinks from the car?" Seungho asked from inside the room.

"Aww I forgot. I'll go get them," Byungki ran off outside the room.

Seungho introduced Aira to their stylists and make up artists and told her to sit besides him. They went through the schedule for the day as it was her job to make sure everyone's informed about what they're going to do all day.

 

 

 

♦ ♦ ♦

 

 

 

"Aira?" A familiar voice greeted her when she was buying a cola from the vending machine. She turned around and saw someone she never expect to meet again.

"Seunghoon! What are you doing here?" She asked with wide eyes.

"I'm visiting my brother. What are you doing here?" He laughed.

Ah right, he's Seungho's brother..

"Ah.. Actually, I work with him now.." She smiled awkwardly.

They walked back to the dressing room, where Seunghoon introduced her to his mother who came with him. MBLAQ members were out doing their pre-recording and Aira used her short free time to catch up with him. 

"Soo..you're MBLAQ's manager now, huh?" He said.

"Yeah..kind of. How are you?"

"I'm good. Actually, I'm in a band now. You remember, right? I told you about me and my friends wanting to start a band." He beamed, feeling excited to tell her.

"I remember. It's great! Where do you guys usually play?"

"We're still not having much offers, but we do play at Hongdae sometimes. I'll let you know if we're gonna play." He smiled and asked for Aira's number. She gave it to him and saved his number in her own contact list.

"Sure, I'll come sometimes."

"Great! Anyway, are things okay with you and my brother?" Seunghoon asked, remembering the situation at their first encounter.

"Eh? What do you mean?"

"You know, you and him weren't really... friendly back then." He chuckled, still trying to figure out what's the relationship between his brother and Aira.

"Ahh.. yeah, I guess we're okay now." She smiled awkwardly.

"Well, okay." He noticed the sudden turn of Aira's mood, as if she was hiding something. He decided to change the topic, "Ah, you write songs right? Can I listen to them? Me and my band kind of wanting to play original songs.." 

"I do, but...." Aira hesitated, she didn't really embrace the idea. Her songs were personal and means a lot to her. "Maybe next time.." she finally answered. 

"Okay, but you have to let me listen to them. Promise?" He lifted his pinky. Aira found the gesture somehow childlike and she chuckled, knowing she couldn't get away with this.

"Promise."

 

 

 

 


AN:

I'm sorry for taking longer to update, I hope the next update would be faster than this :)