Chapter 7

In Search of Happiness

 

Morning, Aira. I think you should wake up now :)

 

Seungho's text greeted Aira the moment she stepped out of her bathroom, drying her hair with her old towel. She sent a short reply right away.

 

Woke up two hours ago

 

She threw back the phone on her bed and opened her wardrobe, scanning through a stack of her clothes to find something decent for her to wear. Well, not that she would have a hard time finding it, because her wardrobe collection just consisted of three pair of jeans that were so old they started to make her embarassed, about ten something tshirts, plain looking sweaters and jackets, and some other boring items. The only thing that was appropriate enough for her to wear today was a navy blazer she bought three years ago.

Before she managed to pull it out of the hanger, her phone beeped again.

 

I thought you're going to sleep in as usual. What's the occassion?

 

Nothing, just the landlord who keeps on ringing my doorbell every five minutes.

 

I see. Oh, you're busy today?

 

Just will be around to look for a job, why?

 

Aira had been looking for a job for a week now, and she still hadn't found one. It's not surprising, she knew it would be hard for her to just count on her high school diploma to get a decent job. Sometimes she regreted that she didn't even try to go to college, but what's done is done, and she had no time to feel down.

No, she won't do that to her anymore. 

She once worked at a local convenience store, but she was fired when she didn't show up for several days without notice as she was deep in her depression, not caring about the world whatsoever. She promised Seungho that she would try to get out of her depression and finding another job was the first on her list.

Aira already slipped on her black skirt and was going to reply to Seungho's text when he called her instead. A deep voice greeted her from the other line.

"Hey, how's the job search going?" He asked, and she heard people talking in the background. He must be already at work.

"Still no luck.." She sighed and she could imagine him nodding in symphaty.

"You've been out everyday, why don't you take a rest just for now. We're having our photoshoot for the album, the guys asked you to come."

"And bring food!!" She heard Mir on the background.

She sat on her bed, thinking about his suggestion. She imagined herself going around the town, coming in and out office buildings just to get indifferent stares and sometimes a look of annoyance from people whom she bothered to ask for any vacancy.

"Maybe you're right. I'd come and bring food, what do you guys want?" 

"Aish, you don't have to listen to Mir. Just come. I'll text the location, okay?" She could hear Seungho shushing Mir.

"Okay.." She hanged up and smiled to herself. It warmed her heart everytime Seungho or the members talked to her like bestfriends.

She got up from her bed and opened her wardrobe once again. She changed her skirt to her ripped blue jeans and grabbed an off-shoulder black sweater. Glancing once to the mirror, she tried to contain her disappointment about her appearance.

I should really buy new clothes..

She grabbed her purse and put her phone inside after checking the address Seungho texted her.

 

Aira stopped by a bakery to buy donuts and breads for the guys, even though Seungho told her she doesn't have to. She didn't know what kind of bread they like so she just bought everything that looks tasty. She also slipped in a chocolate bar for Seungho as she noticed that he always ate every single chocolate bars she had in her room.

No wonder he gets chubbier everytime I see him..

She took a bus and finally got to the location in an hour. There were so many people outside the studio and she didn't know if they would let her in so he texted Seungho. A moment later, Seungho came outside with Cheondung, smiling wide at her.

"You really came! And foods!" Cheondung grabbed the plastic bag from her hands and took a look of what's inside, "Waah there's so many, thank you noona! I'll bring this inside."

"Yah! Don't be rude." Seungho glared at him.

"Haha it's okay." Aira followed them inside where she saw Mir and Joon were doing the photoshoot with a photographer telling them to be more chic. Seungho leaded her to another room where she found Byunghee asleep on the couch. Their manager, Byungki, was also there.

Mir came into the room fifteen minutes later, looking tired. "I can't be chic when I'm hungry..", he shoved a whole donuts into his mouth, earning laughters from everyone.

Soon after, it was the other three's turn to take their pictures. Looking around the room, two girls whom she knew were MBLAQ's stylists greeted her with a nod. On the other side, Byungki was talking in his phone and hanged up after several nods to whoever it was he's talking to as if they could see him from the other line.

"Aira, can I talk to you for a second?" Byungki caught Aira looking at him and asked, she nodded and followed him outside.

"What is it?" Aira asked, but instead of answering her, he pulled out his cigarette and lit it. He took his time to inhale it then blew the smoke out slowly in his effort to relax himself from the hectic morning he went through to make sure everything's ready for MBLAQ's schedule. He opened his cigarette pack and offered her any but she just shook her head and asked one more time, "What is it?"

"I heard you're looking for a job, how's it going?" 

"Nae.. but you know it's not easy.." She shrugged and rested her back against the cold wall, "Honestly, it was really hard, and on a second thought, can I have one?" Aira finally took one of his cigarettes.

"I see.. do you have anything in mind?" He asked her.

"Not really, as long as it's not something shady and I can pay my rent, I'm glad to do any kind of work." She looked at him, "Why? Do you know any opening?"

"Actually, I do.." Byungki rubbed the back of his neck and said in hesitation, "Do you mind to join me as their road manager?"

"Manager? As in MBLAQ's road manager?" She frowned.

"Yeah, they would get busy soon and I need someone to help. Can you?"

"Did Seungho ask you to do this?" She felt a little bit annoyed. It was nice of him to do something like this, but he didn't really have to. Did he ask me to come for this?

"What? No! He didn't know any of this." He said, saying the truth.

"Really?" She asked again still wasn't sure, "Why me of all people?"

"Honestly, I'm a bit worried because Seungho always go to your place every chance he gets. It's not much of a problem now, but what if their schedules are packed? I know Seungho, and he will always make time for you and he won't get enough rest that way."

"I'm sorry.. if that's the case, I will try to keep myself away from him." She said softly.

"Oh! Sorry..that's not what I meant. Really, I'm sorry if it sounded like I blame you. Aish.." He scratched his head trying to find words to say what he meant to say, "I mean that if you become their manager, you will be so much of a help for me and the guys also could see you everytime they want. Aira, just take this as a favor.."

"Will I be helpful if I accept the offer?"

"Very. I'm a little bit overwhelmed right now with the job, partly because I'm the same age with Seungho and Byunghee so they barely listen to me."

"And you're asking me to back you up?"

"Yeah, kind of.." He let out a goofy grin.

"But I'm a girl and younger than them, how could they listen to me when they're not even listening to you?" She said matter-of-factly.

"Believe me, they listen to girls waaay better." Byungki rolled his eyes, making her laughed. She thought about it for a while, but she didn't find any reason to decline the offer. She needed a job and being an idol manager didn't seem bad, especially when she's familiar with them. 

"Okay, then." She nodded.

"Great! I'll deal with the paperwork, you can start next week right?"

"Sure."

"Thanks!" He grinned widely.

"Shouldn't I be the one who said that? Thank you.." She smiled at him.

"Hahahaha whatever you say, but I'm glad though. I'll go talk to Kevin hyung then, you can go back in." 

She walked back in to an empty room because everyone was on the set doing their group photos. She rested her head on the couch and not long after Byungki came again into the room. He told her about the job of a road manager and giving her a general idea of what she would face, "I'll call you later with the details, okay?"

"Who's calling who and why?" Seungho asked frowning his forehead, apparently MBLAQ were done with their photoshoots.

"You're hitting on her, hyung?" Joon open his eyes wide staring at the two who were sitting face to face.

"Aigoo.. I'm just talking about work. Relax.." Byungki stood up and moved to the chair across Aira so Seungho could sat besides her. "Guys, Aira's your manager too starting from next week. Be nice, okay."

"What??" Seungho turned his head to her, confused.

"Yeah, apparently I got a job." She smiled.

"Seriously? That's greaaaaat!" Mir jumped around the room with joy. 

"Don't regret your decision and run away okay?" Byunghee placed his hand on her shoulder, "Especially after seeing Seungho's true self."

"You're talking like I'm a monster or something. You're the one she should be careful with!" Seungho threw his jacket at him playfully. He felt somehow relieved about the news, because he was actually worried when she told him she's going to look for a job. He didn't want to let her walk into the world again alone, where he couldn't watch over her and protect her. 

But now, she's going to work along with him, making it easier for him to be with her all the time.