Chapter 14

In Search of Happiness

"So, thanks for today. I have fun.." Aira said to Seunghoon after they got in front of her apartment room. He insisted to walk her upstairs even though it's late. She unlocked the door and left it half opened, intending to go in once the guy besides him left. 

"You're not going to invite me in?" He raised one of his eyebrow.

"You want to come in?" She asked in confusion, "I mean, it's late.. and we don't have anything left to do, do we?" 

"Actually, we do. You still haven't give me your songs.." He grinned.

"Ah.." She nodded. He was serious about that.. she realized "And it can't wait until later?" She asked, hesitant to let him into the apartment. It was her personal space, and so far only Seungho could make her share it with him.

Seunghoon realized her hesitation and laughed, "Are you hiding something in there?"

"No, it's just–" She was cut off when he pushed the door until it was fully opened and walked in, "Yah..." 

 

Why does he and his brother loves to invite themselves in?

 

She followed him until they got into the living room. Seunghoon was already making himself comfortable on the couch, grabbing the guitar on his way. She rolled her eyes knowing that now she couldn't do anything to make him leave. She sighed and put her bag in her room before she walked out to the kitchen to grab something to drink for the both of them.

"You can't stay long, I have to wake up early tomorrow." She said while opening the fridge door.

"Just give me your songs and I'll leave." She heard him said between the guitar sounds filling her apartment, "Well, and maybe after some drinks.."

She threw a canned juice to him and got back inside her room to find those songs he wanted. She reached a box placed at the far corner of her desk and opened it to check whether she still had them inside. She sighed when she saw a pile of papers with lyrics and notes written on them, reminders of what she's been forgetting about herself.

 

Do these songs still even mean something for me?

 

She closed the box again and carried it into the living room, where Seunghoon still enjoying himself with her old guitar that she never even played again. She dropped the box on the floor and sat besides him, "I have neighbours you know." she pointed to the guitar. It's late and she was sure that the family with two kids who live next to her would not appreciate any kind of noise.

He got the message and stopped playing. Aira rested her back on the couch and grabbed the drink she brought for herself. She already have the edge of her canned beer on her lips when Seunghoon scoffed at her.

"Why is it that you can have beer but you gave me this..." He frowned and looked at the canned beverages in his hand, reading what's written on it, "...this 'sweetened mango'? and it's almost past the expiration date!" he exclaimed after he noticed the tiny dates printed on the lid.

She chuckled and shoved her drink into his hand, "Fine, have this." she grabbed the juice and gulped it down. She expected to ease her mind with a little bit of alcohol in her system but it seemed like she would have to give it up. It was the last alcohol she had in her room but she rather gave it to her unusually naggy friend than to hear him gave her another complaint. 

He gave her a wide grin and grabbed the box she brought earlier. He put it on his lap and opened the lid, he pulled out several of the papers and started to read it. He didn't realize a pair of eyes that anxiously glanced at him from time to time to check his reaction. 

"So..." She said slowly after she waited long enough for him to say anything.

"These are..."

"Depressing, I know." She sighed and took another big gulp of her juice.

"No! These are brilliant! Well, some are a bit depressing but I love them! You have to let us play them!" He said excitingly and put the now empty box back on to the floor, and held the papers safe in his hands, "I'm going to bring these with me."

"You sure they're okay?" Aira asked again and she felt a slight satisfaction when Seunghoon nodded in agreement. He immediately grabbed the guitar he put besides him, totally forgot what Aira warned him earlier, and tried to play one of the songs.

She tried to tell him again not to play it too loud but then she heard the doorbell rang in her apartment. She immediately got up and approached the intercom screen to see who visited her at this dead of night. An overwhelmingly familiar voice greeted her once she pressed the button.

"Aira, it's me."

 

 

 

 

"You really can't wait until tomorrow, can you?" G.O nagged at his friend while they're waiting for Aira to unlock the door. Seungho ignored him and pushed the door open after he heard the lock clicked open. Aira's confused face greeted him once he stepped inside and put off his shoes. 

"Why are you here?" She asked, glancing at Seungho and G.O, "Is there something happened?"

"Visiting.." Seungho shrugged and made a beeline towards the living room, curious about the guitar sound he heard the moment he walked past the front door, "You have a guest? Wh–Yah! Seunghoon!"

"Oh, hyung." The younger guy greeted his brother indifferently.

"What's with the 'oh, hyung'? I told you to text me once you got her home safely!" Seungho said in annoyance. Back in the company, he was worried because it was past midnight and he hadn't get any news from either Aira or his brother. The boys were already on their way to go back to the dorm when he decided that he should just check her himself to her apartment.

"Ahhh.. that. I intend to text you once I leave, but I'm still here, so... sorry." He chuckled, enjoying his brother annoyance.

"See? I told you she's fine. You didn't have to drag me here this late just to see whether she's home already." G.O rolled his eyes. 

"You're worried?" Seungho heard Aira's voice from behind him and he turned around in a slight bashfulness.

"Of course I am.. you're not answering my calls or my texts.."

"I'm sorry.. I didn't really check my phone all night." She lied and felt a little bit guilty for not replying his text earlier. She could have just sent him a short message telling him she's fine.

"It's okay.." Seungho rubbed the back of his neck. 

 

Now that I see her, what next?

 

"So this is your aparment, it's nice.." G.O broke the awkward silence and made his way into the kitchen, "Do you have anything to drink?"

"Ah.. there's coffee and chocolate on the shelf." Aira answered and followed him into the kitchen, "Do you want me to make you something?"

"It's okay, I can help myself." G.O smiled and pointed to Seungho with his chin, "You might want to talk to him, he's been worried all night.." He whispered.

 

Why does he worry about me? I'm not doing anything weird..

 

"Aira, I'm leaving now, okay? Thanks for these, I'll text you again later." Seunghoon walked into the kitchen with Aira's song papers in his hand.

"Ah okay. I'll walk you to the door." She answered shortly.

"Bye hyung." Seunghoon waved his hands to G.O and turned around to exit the kitchen with Aira, he didn't realize a couple of papers that slipped out of his hand and landed on to the floor.

"Seunghoon, you dropped something!" G.O shouted but it seemed that the guy he was talking to couldn't hear him. He picked the papers and read them to see whether they were something important. He recognized the curvy and small handwritings as Aira's.

 

Are these.. songs? Did she write these?

 

Without realizing it, he folded the papers and tucked them inside his pocket, intending to take a full attention to them later. It was not enough to try to understand his new manager just by observing her behaviour or listening to what she said. Those songs might be useful for him to understand Aira better.

 

I want to see what's inside her mind..

 

From where he was standing in the kitchen, he saw Aira was back in the living room and took a seat besides Seungho. G.O found the chocolate powder she mentioned earlier and made three cups. He felt his body shivered slightly and he realized that the whole aparment was just too cold for him. He actually felt it since he got inside but he didn't really pay attention to it, but now that he felt the hot water in front of him, the cold temperature of the room made him realize something.

"Aira, did you turn the heater on?" He asked her once he got inside the living room with hot chocolate cups in his hands.

"Now that you mention it, it does feel cold in here." Seungho said in agreement and looked at Aira.

"I did.." She got up from her seat, "Let me check."

She checked the problematic heater and sighed in disappointment when she realized that it didn't do what it supposed to be doing, warming the room.

 

Great. Now I'm going to freeze in my sleep.

 

"I think it's broken.." She said weakly when she sat back on the couch.

"Well, let's just go now then." Seungho finished his drink and got up, "Don't forget to bring your things.." he said to Aira.

"What? What do you mean?"

"You're not intending to spend the night in this cold apartment, right?" Seungho frowned.

"But.. where else should I go?" She asked in confusion.

"Our dorm, of course." He said matter-of-factly. He thought that it was a given for her to go with him, it's not like she had anywhere else to go. He was surprised that she didn't think the same way. He felt a little bit disappointed but decided that he would let it go. Just for once. 

 

He wouldn't let Aira feel as if she was a stranger to him anymore.

 

"Help her pack her bag, Seungho. I'll let Mir know that Aira's coming with us." G.O pulled out his phone and dialed their maknae's number. The line was answered after the second ring and he didn't let the person on the other line to say something first, "Mir, prepare the bed, Aira's going to crash at our place."