Chapter 2

In Search of Happiness

Seungho woke up and found himself sleeping on a red couch in a living room he doesn't recognize. He was disoriented for a second but soon realized what happened the night before. He looked around the room and saw no one.

"I guess she's still sleeping.."

He walked to the kitchen and pour himself a glass of water. He looked inside the fridge and found some eggs, there were breads on the counter so he decided to make sandwiches for himself and Aira. He served it on the dining table and contemplating about waking her up or just wait until she get out of her room to offer her breakfast

Apparently, he didn't have to decide because a moment later the bedroom door opened. "I'm sorry to use your kitchen without asking, but I was hungry and didn't want to wake you up," Seungho started talking from the kitchen.

Aira looked at his direction and he could see that she was surprised by the fact that Seungho still hasn't leave yet. Somehow, he noticed something was different about her. Yes, she was still wearing the clothes she had on last night, but her expression wasn't cold and sad like before. She walked to the table and pulled out a chair.

"You made these? Where did you get the eggs?" she asked as she saw two plates with sandwiches on them.

"Err...your fridge?"

"I have eggs on my fridge?" She was looking at Seungho with wide innocent eyes. 'Where did the girl I met last night go?'

"..yy.yeah.." Seungho brought two cups of coffee to the table and pulled out a chair across her. He was taken aback by how different she was, her eyes were pure and innocent, and she talked! The vibe she's giving off right now was similar with a naive little girl with no bad thoughts in her mind at all.

"Oh, I guess I forgot..", she scratched her head and drink her coffee, " I haven't really checked my fridge for anything else besides beers," and then here come the girl he knew from last night.

Seungho's gaze was on Aira the whole time and he could observe the change in her expression. Her eyes slowly turned cold and her way of talking also become bitter. It was as if she woke up as a little girl she once was but then the world suddenly come taking that innocence and throw it out away. It breaks his heart once again as he thought about what kind of life she has to be this bitter and lonely.

They finished breakfast and Seungho knew he had to leave so that he wouldn't be late for his schedule this afternoon. 'But I can't leave her all alone,' he thought as he played the memory of what happened the night before in his head and also the message he found on the bathroom mirror.

She was very serious about killing herself. If she was not in her right mind and much more emotional about ending her life Seungho wouldn't feel this worry because he knows she'd be fine right now. She looks very calm and collected, just like any other girl, but she also did last night when she tried to crash herself onto that car and he bet she did too when she wrote those words.

Seungho doesn't know what would happen because he couldn't read what's on her mind and her face was as blank as a piece of paper.

 

He decided to ask her brother for help. He was the only person he could think of right now. He couldn't say anything to the members because he simply doesn't know how to explain the situation. He pulled out his phone and texted his brother

 

Seunghoon-ah, where are you? Are you busy today? He got a reply a minute later

 

Home. No, why?

 

I need your help. Come here and accompany my friend for a while, I have work this afternoon.

 

You're kidding right? I don't even know your friend.

 

I'm dead serious. Just go out and watch a movie or something so you don't have to talk to her. Just for a couple of hours. I won't be asking if this isn't important. 

 

Seungho knows how ridiculous it might seem to his brother, but he really didn't have any choice

 

Your car is mine for the next two weeks. Give me the address.

 

Seungho was relieved that his brother actually agreed to come. He texted his brother Aira's address that he saw from a mail that was on the kitchen counter. After that he went to the living room and saw her curled up on the couch. Seungho sat on the little space left on the couch and played with his phone. She still acting as if he wasn't there and Seungho didn't mind it at all

 

Time passed and they heard someone's ringing the doorbell. Seungho got up and opened the door, facing his brother who has an annoyed look on his face. They walked into the apartment and Seungho introduced him to Aira.

"I don't need anyone babysitting me, Yang Seungho-ssi." She said with the flat tone she always has when she realized that Seungho had called her brother to watch her. Why does he care anyway?!

"I won't leave you alone, either you like it or not." He gave her a sharp glare to convince her that he was serious. She scoffed and went back to the couch. Seunghoon was confused over what happened, he just thought that she was his brother's new girlfriend and they were fighting over something, but it doesn't explain why he have to babysit her. Well, whatever, I'm free anyway and I get to use his car for two weeks..

Seungho left half an hour later after making sure that he could leave his brother there alone with her. He grabbed a taxi and headed toward his dorm. He still didn't know why he care about Aira, he just did. Maybe out of pity, symphaty, or just because he feels responsible after knowing that she could kill herself anytime if he wasn't there.

Whatever the reason is, he knew that he couldn't just let go.

 

 

 

♦ ♦ ♦

 

 

 

Seunghoon tried to start a conversation with her. He failed twice but she started answering his questions after his third try. Just like his brother, Seunghoon was also taken aback by how cold she was. She seemed to doesn't mind the fact that she was alone with a complete stranger and that made him somehow feels comfortable there.

They sat on the couch the whole morning just watching whatever program was on the television. At noon, she got up and walked to the kitchen. She opened her fridge and for the first time in several years she felt embarassed by the fact that she's got nothing in her fridge.

"What do you want?" She asked Seunghoon out of the blue. He turned his head surprised by the fact that she was actually asked him something first.

"W..w.w.what?" he stuttered

"Lunch. I'm going to order in, what do you want?" She asked him sincerely and he smiled.

"Actually, Seungho hyung told me that we can go out. Do you want to eat out? I kinda have something in mind. I could treat you to movie after if you want." Seunghoon was kind of sure that she would say no, but she surprised him.

"Well... why not? Just let me shower first." She went into her room to grab her clothes and went to shower.

Seunghoon looked around the room for the first time because he feels it was just rude to when she was there. His attention fell to a dirty guitar that was on the corner. He took it and cleaned it up with a cloth he found in the kitchen. He tried to pick the strings and they're still sound great so he played it to kill time.

Ten minutes later the bathroom door opened and Aira was already in her jeans and sweater. Seunghoon immediately feel bad about playing with her guitar and stopped right away, but she said it was okay. She went into her room to grab her bag and then went back to the living room.

"Let's go."

Seunghoon put her guitar down and followed her out of the apartment.

 

They went to eat at a pizza place near the movie theater. They talked a lot on the way here and actually become more comfortable with each other when they know that they're actually were of the same age. Aira hasn't been really talking to anyone for the last few months apart from simple greetings so when Seunghoon try to start a joke or a conversation she found herself liking it.

Down in her heart she hoped she could be friends with him but she knows that's not going to happen. By the end of the day, he would left. Just like everyone else in her life..

"So, you play guitar?" Seunghoon asked as he put the last piece of pizza on his plate.

"Yeah, but that was a long time ago. I haven't touched it for like.. two years."

"Wow, no wonder it was so dirty."

"Well, thanks.." She gave him a sarcastic reply.

"Ah sorry, I didn't mean to offend you." He blamed himself for talking as he pleased.

"I'm not offended, you're just stating the truth afterall." She shrugged.

"Why stopped?"

"Just because..." Her answer was vague but Seunghoon didn't ask any further.

Music was her life back then and she used to filled in a spot as a singer at a cafe in Hongdae several years ago. She stopped playing her guitar after she realized that playing music would only makes her wanted to feel more and more, and she hated that. She was ready to close her heart fully from any emotion and music wouldn't let her do that. She poured her heart into songs she wrote but that doesn't make her feel less lonely so she stopped.

She's better off feeling nothing

"The movie would start soon, should we go now?" Seunghoon asked because somehow he felt as if he keeps on asking the wrong questions at her

"Sure." she smiled slightly and they walked inside the theater.  It doesn't hurt to have fun just for one last time, Aira..