Chapter 34

Kidnap Me Hyung

“Oh sweet ground! I missed you!” Taemin cried, running through the airport happily. He ignored the weird looks thrown his way, and took in a deep breath of air. Onew trailed along behind him,  their bags slung across his shoulders and a smile across his face. Taemin turned and ran back to him, grinning radiantly.

“This is great hyung! Can you believe it? We’re really here! In New York! In America! Wow people look different here.”  Taemin’s eyes were wide and excited as he ran around, checking things out.

The two ventured out into the streets, pushing through the throngs of people cluttering the sidewalk. It was loud, and strange, and foreign, and absolutely wonderful.

“What should we do hyung?” Taemin asked, jumping up and down energetically. Onew didn’t know how the younger could do it, he himself felt dead tired from the 13 hour flight. Just watching the younger was exhausting, not that he’d complain.

Before Onew could answer, Taemin’s stomach rumbled, and Onew laughed. “How about some food?”

“Great. Okay.” Taemin looked around, trying to figure out where food was. “Oh! How about that!” Taemin said, eagerly pointing towards a street vendor selling hot dogs. Onew nodded and the two made their way over to the vendor.

“Two please.” Onew said in english, holding up two fingers. The vendor nodded.

“That’ll be four dollars.” Onew pulled out a few ones and handed them over. A moment later, he held two hot dogs in his hands.

“Thank you.” Onew nodded towards the man and turned to see Taemin blushing, his eyes full of wonder.

“What?” Onew asked, suddenly self-conscious.

“Omo hyung... you sound so y when you speak in English.” Onew laughed, a faint pink dusting his cheeks at the younger’s words.

“Just take your food.” Taemin did, and the two were silent for a moment, focused on consuming the hot dogs. They walked slowly through the city, taking in the lights and sounds that were so similar, yet so different to what the knew back home.

The sky grew darker as night set in, and the two decided it was best to get to their hotel and drop off their bags before continuing their adventures around the city. Taemin waved down a cab and the two slid in quickly. Onew gave the driver the address and leaned back against the worn leather seat, closing his eyes for a moment.

Taemin rested his head in Onew’s shoulder. “Sooo y.” He purred into Onew’s ear. Onew smirked and, without opening his eyes, found Taemin’s hand and wound their fingers together.

“Mmm hyung, say some more stuff in english.”

“How about... you’re beautiful, and funny, and adorable?”

“I don’t know what you said, but it was hot.”

“I love you, Taemin.” Onew said, still in english. Taemin smiled.

“I know that one. I love you too Onew.”

 

At the hotel, Taemin bounced around impatiently while Onew tried to get the key to open the door. Onew sighed in frustration.

“It must be faulty, I’ll go back down and ask for another.”

“Just let me try.” Taemin said, snatching the key from Onew’s hand and sliding it through the lock. The light turned green along with the click of the lock. Taemin threw Onew a smug smile before running into the room.

It was simple but clean, with a double bed, tv, table, chairs, and a small kitchen equipped with a sink, fridge, and microwave. On the counter rested a coffee pot Onew was sure to put in use later

Taemin fell onto the mattress, burrowing his head in the pillows.

“It’s so soft!” He exclaimed happily. Onew laughed and dropped their bags by the edge of the bed. He laid down beside Taemin and wrapped his arms around the boy, pulling him close.

“Forget going anywhere.” Taemin mumbled, nuzzling his head against Onew’s chest. “Let’s just stay here. Call room service or something.”

Onew laughed and ran his fingers through Taemin’s hair. “I thought you said you weren’t tired?” He teased. Taemin smacked him weakly.

“Oh shut up.” He replied, wrapping his arms around Onew’s torso. Onew lifted Taemin’s chin up and kissed him lightly on the nose.

“Whatever you say.” Onew answered smoothly, eyes smoldering. Taemin blushed and lifted himself up.

“Whatever I say?” He questioned, biting his lip.

“Whatever.” With that, Taemin placed his hands on Onew’s shoulders and shoved him down, straddling him.

“How about this?” Taemin asked breathily.

“Perfect.” Onew replied, eyes filled with lust.

And so the two spent their first night in a foreign country together in bed, the blankets tangled around them as they made sweet love to each other, dinner long forgotten.

The next morning, the two headed out early, grabbing a quick breakfast before heading out to look around the city. They spent the day roaming the streets of New York, just taking in everything and not really doing anything.

They stopped in various shops, looking through clothes, shoes, toys, whatever. There weren’t half as many street sellers as there were in Seoul, but that didn’t make it any less fun for them.

They even happened upon an area between Fifth and Sixth Avenue filled with Korean shops. They ate dinner at one of the many shops along that street, surprised to find that the found wasn’t as bad as they expected.

As they walked out, hand in hand, Onew pointed towards a large building in the distance.

“Let’s go to the Empire State Building.” Onew suggested.

Taemin nodded. “Sure hyung!” Before continuing down the street, Onew close behind him.

Onew felt for the box in his pocket, his heart rate increasing. His eyes followed Taemin as the dancer strolled through the streets, a gleeful smile permanently stuck to his face. Oblivious to the fact that in just a few hours, he would be proposed to.

The thought gave Onew shivers, and he wondered if he’d really be able to do this. He clutched the small velvet box tightly, willing his heart to calm down.

You can do this Onew.


 

He couldn’t do this.

The two stood at the edge of the observation deck, in full view of the famous New York skyline. Taemin leaned against the railing, gazing down at the city below them. Onew came up behind him and rested his head on Taemin’s shoulder, inhaling his sweet scent.

On the outside he seemed calm, but on this inside, he was freaking out.He didn’t think it was possible to be more nervous than the first time he’d proposed to someone, but he was wrong. This time was worse, a thousand times worse.

Onew spun Taemin around and took his hands, gazing deeply into Taemin’s wide eyes.

“Taemin, I...” Onew trailed off, fear overtaking his ability to speak. He swallowed and tried again.

“I, ummm...”

“Yes?” Taemin said, looking at him expectantly.

Onew blushed and shook his head, chickening out. “Nevermind, it’s nothing.”

Taemin frowned, but said nothing else on the subject, instead choosing to look away and study the view before them. His eyes were wistful as he took in the sight of the many buildings outlined against the setting sun.

Beside him, Onew was mentally beating himself for being such a wuss. Why was it so hard to ask such a simple question? ‘Taemin will you marry me?’

“What?” Taemin glanced over at Onew, confused. “Did you say something hyung?”

“What? No, I didn’t, you heard, I mean didn’t hear, uhh...” Onew sputtered, cheeks turning red. Taemin shrugged and turned away again, while Onew sighed in relief. Not for long though, as he realized he’d still yet to ask. The moment had already been ruined here obviously, which gave him another to calm down, but also meant another day to freak out.

 

“Where to today?” Taemin asked, slipping his hand into Onew’s easily. They’d been in New York for nearly a week, having stopped by most of the major attractions, such as the Brooklyn bridge, Statue of Liberty, and Bronx Zoo. Each time Onew had tried to propose, and each time had chickened out and pretended nothing happened.

Maybe he wasn’t cut out for this whole proposal thing.

“I was thinking we’d have a picnic in Central Park, and then, how would you feel about going to a botanical garden?” Taemin’s eyes lit up in excitement.

“That sounds great hyung!”

The picnic was simple but sweet, a blanket thrown across the ground and an assortment of pre-made sandwiches and fruit salads from the grocery near their hotel strewn around them. The talked about random things, wondering how their friends and family were doing back in Korea, making bets on the number of men and women Joon had brought back to the apartment since their departure.

It was calming, just sitting there, faces warm from the late summer sun, chatting away. At one point, Taemin rested his head in Onew’s lap and closed his eyes, listening to the birds chirping and cars speeding through the city while Onew ran his hands through the younger’s long hair.

At the garden, the two strolled through a tunnel of roses, red and white intertwined, breathing in the sweet perfume of the flowers. As they did, Taemin chattered away about the different colors and their meanings, while Onew listened intently.

“And the yellow rose signifies friendship and optimism. Although I think I told you that before, back when we first became friends. I brought them as a gift, remember?”

“Ah, neh, I remember.” Onew looked away, eyes falling on the white roses adorning the left side of the tunnel.

“What about the white rose?” Onew asked, pinching the petal of one and rubbing his fingers against gently, revelling in the silky feeling.

“Ah, well those were originally represented as a sign of innocence and purity. Since then, they’ve come to be associated with marriage.

Onew looked back at Taemin, realizing something. “Didn’t you say white roses were your favorite?”

Taemin blushed, surprised that Onew remembered something so trivial. “Neh hyung.”

“What a coincidence.” Onew muttered, hand falling to the box in his pocket.

“What was that?” Taemin asked.

“Oh, nothing.”

The two continued down the tunnel, but nearing the end, Taemin’s felt something cover his face and his eyesight go black.

“Ahh help-”

“Shh Tae, it’s just me.” Onew said, trying to calm the younger while keeping his hand over his eyes.

“Onew? What are you doing?”

“It’s a surprise. Now, start walking, I’ll guide you.”

Taemin frowned. “Doesn’t that seem a bit like the blind leading the blind?”

“How so?”

“Well.... you aren’t the most...graceful person hyung.”

“Yah, it will be fine. Trust me.” With that, Onew began leading Taemin along, one hand remaining pressed against Taemin’s face. Despite his earlier words, the two found themselves tripping every few feet, even if there was nothing to trip on.

Luckily, their journey was short, as a minute later Onew caught sight of a sign declaring what the next garden was. Onew stopped, forgetting that Taemin was blind, and nearly lost his balance when Taemin bumped into him.

“We’re here.” Onew announced, removing his hand from Taemin’s eyes. Taemin blinked at the sudden light, squinting as he tried to regain his sight. The view he encountered once he regained his sight was breathtaking.

Taemin’s jaw dropped, face filled with amazement. The dancer spun around, trying to take in the whole view, in total awe.

The two were in the Japanese Garden, surrounded by flourishing evergreens. Irises, Wisteria, and Azaleas graced the rolling landscape, while cherry blossom trees were scattered throughout.

In the center was a large pond, lily pads floating atop the water and a small waterfall rumbling away in the corner. Coi fish swam through the water lazily, their bright colors standing out against the rocky bottom.

Onew pulled Taemin towards the viewing pavilion, a small wood structure on the edge of the pond. Trees grew around it, some of the branches winding around the poles, the leaves resting along the roof.

Together, they looked across the pond, taking in the beautiful scene. Onew wrapped a strong arm around Taemin’s waist and pulled him into a sweet kiss, their lips pressed together softly. When it ended, Taemin remained in Onew’s embrace, snaking his arms around the elder’s shoulders.

They stayed that way for what felt like forever, just hugging and listening to the birds chirping and their own steady breathing.

“I don’t know how this could get any more perfect.” Taemin sighed, eyes closed.

Onew moved back, gazing around nervously. “Actually...” He started, his hands beginning to shake. He was looking everywhere but at Taemin, who was quickly falling out of the moment. Taemin frowned; what was going on with Onew?

“What’s wrong hyung?” Taemin said softly, placing a hand on Onew’s bicep. Onew chewed on his lip, cheeks flushing red.

“It’s, it’s just...” Onew stuttered, ears tinting pink now as well.

“Aish hyung, just say it already. What’s going on?” Taemin watched the elder with eyes filled with innocence and concern.

"I...I have something to show you." Taemin watched as Onew reached into his pocket shakily and pulled out something Taemin couldn't see. Slowly, Onew opened up his palm and revealed a very crumpled and worn strip of paper. Upon further inspection, he realized it was a fortune.

Taemin took it into his own hands, holding it close to his face so he could read the slightly smudged words printed across it.

'The one you love is closer than you think'.

“The one you love is closer than you think?” Taemin read aloud, brows pulling together in confusion.

"What is this?" He asked, voice curious.

"A little over a year ago, I was eating chinese for lunch. I received this fortune, and laughed at the possibility of such a thing happening. Moments later, while riding a bus back to work, I met a clumsy but adorable boy by the name of Lee Taemin.” Onew took Taemin’s hands into his own and smiled brightly, the words flowing confidently now.

“Four months later, I had nearly forgotten that encounter, when suddenly, there you were again, soaked to the bone in the doorway to my shop. Anyone else, I would have given a towel, a cup of coffee, and sent off, but you... when I first saw you standing there, shivering, it felt like there wasn’t a thing I wouldn’t have done to help you.”

“I was terrified of you. All the years I spent building up a wall fell as soon as you smiled, all my reservations vanished when I heard you laugh. I didn’t want to, but I quickly found myself falling for you. I was stupid, and stubborn, and made you wait for me much longer than you should’ve had to, yet you never left me. Really, how could I not love someone as wonderful as you?”

"Lee Taemin, you appeared before me when I was lost, and showed me I could love even when I thought my heart was stone. That cheap little fortune was nothing but true. God brought me a miracle, and that miracle is you."

"Onew what-" Taemin's eyes widened in shock as he watched Onew get down on one knee. His heart beat against his chest frantically, and he forgot how to breathe, the air caught in his throat. Was this really happening, could this really be happening?

Onew pulled out a small box and opened it up to reveal a simple yet beautiful ring. "Lee Taemin, will you marry me?"

Taemin wasn’t one to cry, he never had been. But in that moment, he could feel the tears begin to drip down his face, hot and wet against his cheeks. The world became a bit blurry as more began to build along the edge of his eyes, catching in his long lashes.

"You." He whispered, voice shaking."What did I tell you about being perfect? It’s not okay. I can’t handle it."

Onew smiled nervously. “Is that a yes?”

“Of course it’s a yes you pabo.” Onew grinned and slipped the ring on his finger.

"Come here." Taemin said, flinging his arms around Onew.

Onew smiled and kissed Taemin.

"I love you Onew." Taemin mumbled, pulling away from the kiss. Onew shook his head and touched their foreheads together, staring deeply into Taemin's eyes.

"Aniyo. Don't call me Onew." Confusion clouded Taemin's eyes. "Call me Jinki." Taemin’s smile, if possible, brightened even more, and he pulled Onew-no, Jinki- flush against him.

"Fine then. I love you Jinki." Taemin whispered in his ear, a thrill going down Jinki's spine at the sound of his name in Taemin's sweet voice.

"I love you too Minnie." Jinki replied.

Their lips met again, melting into each other’s arms as they began the rest of forever.


---------------------

And....scene. 

So, that's it everyone. It's done. That's the end.

I was honestly shocked at how many of you commented saying you were sad this was ending and wished it to continue. I never realized this actually had an affect on some people, and it warms my heart to know you guys liked it that much. Thank you to everyone who has stuck with this, cliffhangers and all. 

Seriously, you guys are the best. I would have never finished this without you, and your comments were always a great pick-me-up after not so great days. 

 

Okay. 

I lied. It's not quite the end. I don't want this to end as much as you do, which is why there's already about 20 pages worth of sequel. BUT, it's not going to come out for awhile. I have school, and work, and I'd rather have you guys wait a couple months for the whole thing than to only get an update once every month. 

THE END! ^-^