Chapter 13

Kidnap Me Hyung

 

The scene was all too familiar. The street, the people, the dark car speeding towards the person he loved most in the world.

"No!" He yelled, already knowing it was useless. The man in the street turned around, and Onew stopped dead. Something wasn't right here.

The person in the street had black hair, surrounding a round, baby face.

Something wasn't right here.

Kibum didn't have black hair.

Kibum didn't have such round cheeks.

Something wasn't right here.

That wasn't Kibum.

..."Taemin, NO!!"

 

"Onew, Onew, wake up! It's just a dream!" Taemin shook the screaming elder awake, having been woken only moments ago by Onew's cries. What was wrong with his hyung? Onew was crying, whispering something incomprehensible to Taemin. Sobbing and delirious, covered head to toe in a cold sweat, Onew looked as if he'd just been to hell and back. For all Taemin knew, maybe he had.

"Onew, it's okay. Shhh, calm down, it's okay." Taemin didn't know what to do. This wasn't the Onew he knew. He knew a man who smiled no matter what, even if he was a bit cold when they first met. He had never seen the elder so broken down, and it terrified him.

"Tae-Taemin?" Onew asked, sounding like a small child.

"Yes hyung, it's me."

"You're okay." He said, so quietly Taemin strained to hear him. "You're okay!" He said a bit louder, suddenly attacking the dancer with a hug that threw them both off balance and nearly sent them tumbling off the bed.

Shocked and confused, Taemin hugged the elder, figuring that was all he could do in this situation. Onew sobbed into his shoulder, and Taemin whispered soothing words into his ear; eventually, Onew calmed down and pulled away from Taemin, apologies spilling from his lips.

"It's okay hyung." Taemin said quietly, not wanting the barista to stay upset any longer. "Lets just go back to sleep." Taemin saw the relief in Onew's eyes when he didn't ask what had happened, and couldn't help but feel bad.

When will you let me in, hyung?

Onew laid back down and slipped into a much more peaceful sleep, while Taemin was left wondering what he had to do to show the elder that he could trust Taemin.

 

When Taemin woke up the second time, Onew was still asleep, completely wrapped up in the blanket. Taemin realized he woke up from the cold draft that touched his skin, no longer being protected by the blanket thanks to the elder. Taemin couldn't find it in himself to be angry however, finding the sight before him too adorable to be mad at.

Slipping out of bed carefully as to not disturb the sleeping man, Taemin heads towards the kitchen, thinking what he could make the two men (okay, mostly for Onew) for breakfast. He felt bad just staying without contributing in some way, and if breakfast was his only way to not feel so useless, then he was going to make the best breakfast possible.

Searching in the refrigerator and the cupboards, Taemin found all the necessary ingredients for pancakes.

Onew walked in just as Taemin began on the eggs, staring at the boy in wonder. Too busy to notice the entrance of the man, Onew felt a smile creep on his face. In his mind, Onew snuck behind Taemin and wrapped his arms around Taemin's tiny waist. In reality, he was all too aware that he couldn't do that, and instead opted for leaning against the counter beside Taemin.

"You cook?" He asked, biting his lip to hide the smile that automatically formed at the cute sight of a blushing Taemin.

"Not-not much. Just pancakes, eggs, and meat."

"Not ramen?" Onew teased.

"Oh no, not ramen. You wouldn't want to eat my ramen hyung. Jongin nearly threw up last time he tried to eat some."

Onew laughed. "What on earth did you put in it?"

"Nothing strange! Just some milk. And honey." The smile fell off Onew's face as Taemin listed of ingredients.

"You're kidding..."

"No, I thought it would taste good- Onew, are you okay?" Taemin stopped, noticing the sick look on Onew's face.

"I'm fine Taemin. Just...never make me ramen, arasso?"

Taemin laughed. "Okay hyung."   He finished the eggs and placed them and the pancakes on the table in the living room.  Sitting side by side, the two ate in silence, Onew too busy enjoying Taemin's food, and Taemin too busy thinking about how to approach the subject of what happened. Onew finished his food within five minutes and turned to Taemin.

"Is there anything to you want to do today? We can't really go anywhere, in case your parents are looking around this area, but I'm sure we can find something fun here."

Taemin frowned, feeling very much like rapunzel, locked away from the world. Is this really now he had to live now?

"I don't know hyung, maybe you could show me how you make your delicious coffee. wait, don't you have to go down for work?"

Onew shook his head. "Ani, I open later on Sunday."

Taemin was pretty sure that wasn't true, one reason being that it was Monday, but he didn't push it. He guessed Onew was still shaken up from his dream, and didn't blame him for not wanting to go to work quite yet. It wasn't like Taemin was complaining either; it meant more time alone with the elder.

"Awww Tae! Did you make us breakfast? What a wonderful dongsaeng you are!"

Well, almost alone.

"Ah, yes Joon hyung. I made pancakes and eggs. There's some coffee as well, but it's not as good as Onew's."

Joon threw his arms around Taemin, hugging him so tight Taemin worried his ribs might break. Eyes pleading, he turned to Onew.

"Onew, can we keep him? Please!" Onew didn't reply, eyes locked on Joon's arms around the dancer. Joon followed his roommate's gaze and quickly dropped his arms. "I'm just gonna try this food now." He said, sitting down and piling food onto his plate.

At the first bite, Joon threw back his head and moaned. "Ahh this is delicious." Another bite. "Don't you ever leave." Taemin laughed at the blonde man, amused by his over dramatic reaction, while Onew just shook his head.

"You're eating that food, not screwing it." He said, annoyed.

Joon shook his head. "I'm not sure Onew, this is pretty ing ic food. This is amazing Taebaby."

Gritting his teeth at Joon's new nickname for Taemin, he was struck by an idea. "Well... if you think this is good, you should try some of Taemin's ramen some time." Taemin whipped his head to the side to stare at the smirking man in shock, but Joon was still too busy eating to notice.

"Really? I'll have to eat it some time. Tae, will you make it for me?"

"Oh no hyung, you don't really want me to-"

"I insist. Please Taebaby?"

"I...okay hyung." Taemin gave in, hoping the blonde would forget about it quickly.

"You really are the best." Jongin finished off his food, one eye on the two awkward lovebirds across the table the whole time. Rubbing his stomach and letting out a satisfied sigh, Joon stood up and stretched.

"Well, I'm off to work, have fun you two." Joon paused, as if thinking. "Just...not too much fun. I don’t want to have to clean the couch." Taemin and Onew turned twin shades of red at that statement, staring at the closed door long after Joon had gone. Once their faces had both returned to their normal shades, Taemin turned to Onew and smacked him on the shoulder.

"Yah! What did Joon do to you? You and I both know I can't make ramen!"

Onew shrugged his shoulders, still secretly pleased with himself. "We play tricks on each other all the time, it's nothing new." He lied. "Now come on, let's go teach you how to make coffee."

He moved towards the door, but stopped when he realized Taemin wasn't following him, and instead standing there with a strange look on his face.

"What wrong Taemin?"

Taemin laughed and shook his head at the oblivious elder. "Don't you think we should get dressed first hyung?" Onew looked at Taemin, who was still clad in Onew's shirt and a pair of boxers, down to himself, and back again.

"Right."  Onew headed into his room withTaemin close behind and began rifling through his closet.

"Oh, and hyung?" Onew turned around to see Taemin standing there in just his skinny jeans, milky white chest completely bare. Onew felt his cheeks warm at the sight and quickly averted his eyes.

"Yes Taemin?"

"Do you think I could borrow a shirt as well?" Onew nodded and grabbed a shirt from his closet, blindly throwing it to Taemin. A small 'thanks hyung' was heard, but it was nearly silent over the beating of Onew's heart.

How can he so carelessly walk around like that? Onew wondered.

When they were both dressed, they headed out again, this time actually making it out the door and downstairs without any problems.

Behind the counter, Onew immediately began pointing out the different types of coffee, the machines, what each one did, etc.

Taemin watched Onew animatedly explain everything in detail with a wistful smile upon his face, as if they weren't just machines, but a part of him, a part of history. Maybe they were, Taemin couldn't be sure. What he did know was that he could listen to Onew talk about coffee forever. His voice, as always, was warm and soothing, just like the coffee he made. It was an angel's voice, and Taemin found himself wondering if Onew could sing. He'd have to ask...

"Taemin?"

"Hmm?" Taemin realized he was staring, and quickly looked away from the elder's face.

"I was asking, do you want me to show you how to make the coffee now?"

"Oh, yes hyung." Taemin smiled.

"Then come here, I can't teach you if you're halfway across the room." Taemin blushed and moved closer so that they were now side by side.

"Here. First, you have to get the right amount of espresso for the machine. It's not difficult, but you want to make sure it's exactly to the top of the little cup. Not over, not under." Onew began explaining the steps to Taemin.

"Is this right hyung?" Taemin asked, showing Onew. Onew nodded.

"Perfect. Now, you put it in the espresso machine like this..." Onew had Taemin do each step, guiding him along to make sure the dancer did it correctly. The boy caught on fairly quickly, guessing the next step by the time they got to making the design. Onew lightly placed his hand on Taemin's, explaining that for this step, he had to have good control.

Onew held Taemin's slightly shaking hand as he poured in the milk, moving it gently at the top to create the Rosetta design. It was slightly messy, nowhere near Onew's perfect ones, but it wasn't bad for a first time.

"See, I told you that you could do it."

Taemin pouted. "You helped me. It doesn't count."

Onew tapped Taemin on the nose. "All I did was steady your hand. The rest was all you. Stop pouting."

"Make me." Taemin said, sticking his lip out even further. It was killing Onew. He couldn't, knew he shouldn't, but the boy just looked so kissable. All he had to do was lean in a few inches and-

A loud knocking on the door brought Taemin and Onew back to reality, and Taemin quickly went to answer it, blushing profusely. At the door was Jongin, a box that presumably held Taemin's clothes held in his hands.

The appearance of the younger dancer momentarily brought Taemin back to reality, and he remembered why he was staying with Onew in the first place.

"Thank you Jongin." Taemin said, relieving him of the heavy box. "Would you like to stay for a drink?"

Jongin shook his head. "It took a lot of work to get here without being followed, I don't want to stay any longer and chance you being found." Taemin immediately felt guilty for putting the younger through this.

"I'm sor-"

"Don't you finish that sentence hyung. It's fine. What matters is you staying safe and hidden from your parents until after this performance, and if it means a little running around, fine." Jongin smiled. "Besides, it's kind of fun. I feel like a spy in one of those English movies." Jongin struck a pose. "I'm Bond. Jongin Bond." He said in English, his accent making it nearly impossible to understand, but Taemin laughed anyways.

"Arasso, arasso. Well, Agent 007, you best be on your way."

Jongin laughed. "Goodbye Taemin."

"Goodbye Jongin. See you later." Jongin paused, looking at Taemin fearfully.

"Hyung."

"What is it?"

"Dance practice. What if your parents show up there too?"

Taemin hadn't thought of that. "I don't know..."

Jongin snapped his fingers. "I got it. I'll show up earlier, if they're there, I'll text you that it's not safe and tell everyone you couldn't make it."

"And if they show up the following days? I can't just not go to practice!"

"We'll figure it out hyung. Don't worry, it'll all be okay. See you around." Jongin turned and walked downstairs, hands in pockets, while Taemin stared after him.

"I really hope it'll be okay." He turned back to Onew, setting the box on a random table on the way over.

"Is everything okay?" Onew asked worriedly.

"Yeah. Jongin was just dropping off some clothes. I can't wear your clothes forever hyung."

"Ah, alright. Now, where were we?"

"You were trying to convince me I made this coffee all by myself."

"You did! Okay, mostly..." Taemin snickered, worries once again falling away as they did when he was with Onew. "Well I guess there's only one solution."

"And what's that hyung?" Already knowing the answer.

"More coffee!" The two said together, laughing when they did. Throughout the rest of Taemin's lesson, their smiles never disappeared, up until the first customer of the day came in and Taemin was forced out from behind the counter so Onew could work without distraction.

Taemin took his place by the door and sat in peace, his stomach feeling as if it were full of butterflies. He couldn't remember the last time he'd had so much fun.  

Behind the counter, One felt the same, sneaking peaks at the younger whenever he could. Taemin was the second person he'd ever made coffee with before, and for once, the memories didn't make him bitter, but instead, he was happy. Every once in a while, the two would catch each other's eyes, and a smile would grace both their faces before they'd blush and look away.

He wasn't sure why he was acting so relaxed around Taemin right now, but he blamed it on last night's nightmare. It had awoken something in him, and at least for now, he couldn't let the younger man out of his sight.

 

Listen to Joon. Don't ever make me leave hyung.

 

Joon is right. Don't ever leave Taemin.

 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

*sigh* I'm not really happy with this chapter, but I hope it isn't too disappointing. I keep getting distracted by the future of this story, and I'm having trouble connecting now to the end. On the bright side, that means there is an end, and I won't let myself give up on this until I've finsihed it. Which I guess means never giving up on it... Ah well. 

Yay for ert Joon and fluffy Ontae!