Chapter 7

Kidnap Me Hyung

 

Jonghyun was using Taemin. He knew it, yet he couldn't help it. Hanging out with the younger was like going back in time and talking with his brother. Their practices reminded him of when he and his brother were teenagers, sneaking out of the house to practice. Taemin's determination to be nothing less than perfect is an exact replica of how Kibum would act, and when Taemin told him about how he and Jongin want to become a famous dance duo, Jonghyun flashbacks to memories of him and Kibum discussing the same thing.

 

"Someday, we'll show them." Jonghyun stated. It was only a couple weeks after the two had left home,and he could tell Kibum was starting to worry that they wouldn't be able to survive on their own.

"You're right." The younger finally agreed. "Someday, we'll be known as the amazing Kim brothers, consisting of heavenly voice Jonghyun and y dancer Key."

Jonghyun laughed. "Key?"

"Of course. I have to have a stage name. Kibum is too ordinary for me. After all, we're anything but ordinary."

 

It had been painful, when Jonghyun  finally got his chance and Kibum didn't. He almost didn't take the opportunity, but his brother wouldn't let him, stating that when he got to the top, Jonghyun could just make him his backup dancer.

Of course, as soon as he got to the top, there was the accident, and his brother never got to stand on stage.

 

Maybe that was why he was so determined to see Taemin go far, why he wanted Taemin to do well in the audition and be able to stand on stage. He failed Kibum, he wouldn't do it again.

I promise you Bummie, I won't let you down this time.

 

"Hey, Taemin. Want to go out and eat somewhere?" Jonghyun asked, interrupting whatever the boy had been talking about. He had lost his listening ability long ago, busy watching the boy's facial features. Taemin didn't mind, he knew he had a tendency to ramble.

"Sure hyung, where to?"  Since Jonghyun's confession about his past the day before, the slight strain between them had completely disappeared, and Taemin was beginning to feel as if the two were becoming good friends.

Jonghyun thought for a moment.

"Well, there's a deokbokki cart just down the street... Wait, I know somewhere even better."

"What is it?"

"A friend of mine has a small coffee shop just a few minutes away from here."

At the word coffee shop, Taemin paled.

"Crap what time is it?"

"It's almost eight, why?"

"Crap I'm late again! I've gotta go hyung, see you tomorrow." Taemin picked up his bag and raced for the door, only to be stopped by Jonghyun's hand in his wrist.

"Why don't we go together?" Taemin bit his lip, looking uncertain.

"I don't know..."

"Aww come on. Why can't I?" Jonghyun gave him the puppy eyes no one could resist.

"Yah, don't do that to me- ugh, fine. You can come. Just...stop." Jonghyun smiled and grabbed his bag as well.

"Let's go."

 

Taemin was late again. It was the third time in a row, and Onew had a bad feeling about it. For weeks, the boy had come everyday at 7pm, but here it was, a quarter past 8, with no Taemin  to be seen. It brought up questions that both scared and confused

Did Taemin not want to see him anymore, so he was slowly drifting away?

Did Taemin  find a boyfriend, and was leaving Onew for him?

Was he secretly sick with cancer and slowly dying, but afraid to tell Onew?

 

Onew shook his head free of the ridiculous thoughts.

I don't care. He told himself defiantly.

Onew heard the tinkling of the  bell and looked towards the door hopefully. A smile graced his face when he saw Taemin walk inside, but it quickly morphed to one of shock when he saw who was being dragged in behind the younger. He noticed the twin look of shock on the shorter man's face, and stopped cold.

"Jonghyun? What are you doing here?"

"Hyung? How do you know Taemin?"

Taemin looked between the two in confusion. "You know each other?"

Onew came to his senses first. "I'll get you two drinks, and then we can explain. Arasso?" The two nodded, and Taemin led Jonghyun over to his usual table.

"So, I guess I don't have to show you my friend's coffee shop anymore." Jonghyun tried joking. "Seeing as you already know it."

Taemin laughed, despite his head still spinning from the sudden turn of events.

"I guess so."

Onew brought the two their drinks- for Taemin, the same as always, for Jonghyun, a hot chocolate- and sat down beside Taemin.

"So, care to explain how you know each other?" Onew asked, trying to sound casual.

"I could ask you the same thing." Jonghyun replied, sounding suspicious.

"Onew hyung and I met on the bus a few months ago." Taemin quickly explained. "And then I stumbled upon his shop one night when it was raining and he let me stay the night when Jongin wouldn't come to pick me up."

Jonghyun couldn't believe it. That sounded nothing like the Onew he knew.

"I think Taemin explained it easy enough. Your turn Jonghyun."

"Remember the dance group I told you about? Taemin is in the group I'm working with. I saw Taemin practicing after everyone was done earlier this week, and he offered to give me some dance tips. We've been working together since then."

"So that's why Taemin's been late." One mumbled.

"What?"

"Nothing."

Jonghyun shrugged. Taemin watched the two and remembered his own question.

"What about you two?" Onew suddenly began fidgeting nervously, while Jonghyun tried to figure out what would be safe to say.

"We've been friends for years, that's about all there is." Onew said simply. Jonghyun nodded along.

Taemin thought for a moment. "So that means you knew Kibum  too, right Onew?" Onew's in a shocked breath and glanced at Jonghyun, asking silently how much he knew. Jonghyun shook his head slightly, and Onew let out a sigh of relief.

"Yes, but not as much as Jonghyun. Kibum was younger than both of us, so we weren't I'm class together."

Taemin nodded, wanting to ask more questions about the two, but Onew didn't let him.

"Why don't you head home now, I'm sure Jongin's waiting for you, and I don't think we want a repeat of last time."

Taemin shuddered at the memory. "You're right, I should get going.  See you later hyungs."

Onew and Jonghyun watched as Taemin left, waiting until he was down the street before they began speaking.

"He reminds you of Bummie too, doesn't he?" Jongyun questioned.

"So much it's painful." Onew replied, not taking his eyes of the boy on the street.

 

"So wait, let me get this straight. You're saying Jonghyun and Onew know each other?" Jongin couldn't hide his shock.

"Yup. They've been friends for years apparently."

"Wow." Jongin leaned back in his chair, watching his elder intently.

"What if they're secretly together?" Taemin asked suddenly, looking worried.

"Nah, I don't think that's it. I think they told you the truth, and they're really just friends."

"Are you sure?"

"Yeah, otherwise, don't you think you would have seen him at the shop by now? You pretty much live there."

"I do not."

"Whatever you say. Anyways, I'd watch out for Jonghyun, I think he likes you." Jongin said, recalling his own conversation with the silver haired elder.

"Wait, what?"

Jongin waved off the question.

"Just forget about it for now hyung. You can work on your love life later, right now we have an audition to prepare for."

Taemin nodded and followed Jongin downstairs, to the practice room where they could work on their routine.

 
----------
 
Sorry, its a shorter chapter >< but just wait, its going to get real interesting in the next couple chapters!