Chapter 18

Kidnap Me Hyung

Seoul, 6 years ago

 

"Very good boys. You're both coming along extremely well. Especially you Jinki, your range has grown a lot. And you Jonghyun, I heard you recently auditioned again. How did that go?"

A woman in her mid twenties smiled softly at the two boys.

"I think it went well Ms. Cho. Of course, anything could happen." Ms. Cho nodded, knowing from the past that he'd had failed auditions, and this wouldn't be surprising if it was another.

"They're all deaf if they can't hear your talent. Don't worry Jonghyun, your time will come." She patted his shoulder encouragingly.

She turned to Jinki and crossed her arms.

"What about you? Have you auditioned yet?" Already guessing the answer.

"Well, uh, I was going to but, there was a..."

Ms. Cho sighed. "You have a wonderful voice Jinki. Just audition once! You'll regret it if you never try." Jinki knew it frustrated the woman to no end that he had still yet to audition anywhere.

"Okay Ms. Cho. Next time Jonghyun goes, I  will too."

"You better." She insisted, a small smile on her face.

A small knock on the door drew their attention away from the previous conversation, and it opened slowly to reveal a boy maybe two, three years younger than Jinki.

"Hello?" He said, trying to sound confident, but nervousness clear in his eyes.

His eyes... Jinki was immediately entranced by the feline quality of them; of the feline quality of the whole boy. Everything from his narrow, cat-like eyes, to his sharp cheekbones, to his slender frame, to the raven colored hair with the streak of red, drew Jinki to him.

"Jonghyun? Are you almost done?"

Oh and that voice. It was so deep, completely parallel to the almost feminine exterior. Who was this boy?

"I'm almost done Bummie. We were just packing up."

"Okay, hurry up please, we have to- stop staring at me you weirdo!" 'Bummie' glared at Jinki, looking incredibly self conscious.

Jinki blushed. "I wasn't staring!"

"Whatever. Come on Jjong, let's go home." Jonghyun threw Jinki an apologetic glance and followed after the younger male, leaving Jinki starstruck.

----

"Jonghyun, who was that boy? You know, the one from practice." The two were out eating ice cream, having just finished practice not long before.

"You mean Kibum? He's my brother, why?"

"I was just wondering." Jinki tried to sound nonchalant, but he could tell he wasn't fooling the other singer. "How old is he?"

"We're a year apart. He's 16." Jinki frowned, he had been hoping he wasn't right about the boy's age.

"Oh really? That's cool. So um, is he a singer too?"

"Nah, he's a dancer. He's really good too."

"Do you think...I could meet him sometime?"

"Sure, but why?"

"We've been friends for over a year Jonghyun, shouldn't I get to know your brother?"

"Ah, that's true. Alright, let's all hang out soon."

----

"It's you!" Kibum stared at the nervous elder, who was busy looking anywhere except the beautiful younger.

"Neh...I'm Jinki, Jonghyun's friend."

"Ah, I know. Jonghyun talks about you all the time." Kibum sat beside Jinki, feline eyes piercing the back of Jinki's head. Tilting his head to the side slightly, he stared at Jinki curiously.

"Tell me. Are you really as clumsy as Jjong says?" Jinki turned around quickly in surprise, not realizing how close Kibum had come, and nearly lost his balance and fell of his chair. Kibum laughed at the elder, the sound like bells to Jinki's ears,

"I guess you are."

Jinki took a deep breath, steadying himself before he spoke again. "Ah, Kibum, if you aren't doing anything, want to hang out?" Kibum paused, and after a moment, replied with a chipper 'sure.'

"Ah, great. I know the perfect place. Do you like ice cream Kibum?"

-----

"Oh my god! You like my brother!" Jonghyun pointed an accusing finger at the elder; Jinki paled.

"No, no, it's not like that!" Jinki lied quickly, waving his hand quickly.

"Aish, stop freaking out. It's okay, besides, Kibum likes you too."

Jinki dropped his hands and stared at the shorter man in disbelief. "He does?"

"Yes, so stop being a chicken and confess already!"

"You're okay with it? I mean, with me....liking your brother?"

Jonghyun smiled and patted Jinki's back comfortingly. "Of course it's a little weird-" Jinki's shoulders fell, "-I mean, here I was all this time throwing myself at you and you choose my little brother. Ah, how harsh love is." Jonghyun grasped his chest and pretended to cry, showcasing his terrible acting skills. Jinki shoved the younger man away, rolling his eyes.

"Aish, whatever Jonghyun."

----

"Ki-Kibum?" Jinki stuttered, a bouquet of flowers gripped tightly in his hands.

"Yes Jinki?" Kibum asked expectantly.

"These are for you." Jinki shoved the bouquet at Kibum, startling the younger, who never the less took them.

"Why hyung?" Kibum said, looking hopeful.

"Well you see, the thing is that you, no I mean, that I, but you too I guess, although not exactly, what I mean to say is-"

"Just spit it out hyung!"

"IreallylikeyouKibum." Jinki mumbled, words blurring together. Kibum tried to contain the smile threatening to spread across his face.

"What did you say?"

Jinki took a deep breath, and slower this time said, "I like you Kibum. I've liked you since you stepped into that practice studio a few weeks ago."

Kibum didn't try to hold back the grins anymore, letting it nearly split his face in two.

"Aigoo hyung, why didn't you say something earlier? I like you too."

----

Days faded into weeks, weeks into months, months becoming nearly a year. A year of bliss, dating the beautiful boy named Kim Kibum. Jinki still hadn't a clue how he had been so lucky for a boy like Kibum to fall for him, and everyday he had to remind himself he wasn't dreaming.

---

Jinki waited in the living room of his house nervously, one hand in his pocket, fumbling with a small velvet box. It had been exactly a year, 365 days, since he had confessed to Kibum, and now here he was, as nervous as that first day. Funny how things never changed.

He heard the bathroom door open, and turned to see Kibum walk out, still fixing his hair. Instantly, his heart rate shot up, so much it felt it might beat out of his chest.

"Ki-Kibum?" Jinki stuttered.

"What's wrong Jinki?" Kibum asked, eyes scrunching together in worry.

"I, uh, have to tell you something."

"Well, what is it?"

Jinki bit his lip nervously, his hand wrapped tightly around the small box.

"I know this going to sound insane, and please, whatever happens after I say this, please don't hate me."

"Aish, why would I hate you? Just tell me!"

Jinki took a deep breath and dropped to one knee, opening up the box and looking up at a kibum with passion filled eyes."Kim Kibum, will you marry me?"

Kibum stared at him in shock, totally frozen.

Worries began filling Jinki's mind. This was insane, the most insane thing he'd ever done. What was he thinking, asking Kibum to marry him? They couldn't even get married here, what was the point of a promise he may never fulfill? Freaking out now, he began rambling.

"I know this makes no sense, that it's impossible here, and that I'm being completely insane. But know, this ring isn't just a proposal, but a promise that if you say yes, someday, somehow, I will make you lawfully my husband." Tears filled Kibum's eyes, and he flung himself at Jinki, knocking them both to the ground.

"Yes. Yes, of course yes. How could you be worried I'd say no you pabo?" Kibum kissed Jinki passionately, wrapping his arms around the elder.

"Now." Kibum said, pulling back and smiling lightly. "Lets see that ring."

"Ah yes. Here you go- wait, where did it go?"

"Yah! How could you already lose it?"

"It's not my fault, you jumped me!"

"How did I say yes to a clumsy fool like you?"

"Yah, you can't be rethinking your answer, you already said yes!"

"I could always change my mind."

"Kibum-ah!"

"Aigoo, calm down old man, I'm just kidding."

"I'm only two years older! I'm not old!"

----

"Jinki?" Kibum's voice sounded terrified, and stuffy, as if he'd been crying. Jinki gripped the phone tighter. What had happened?

"What's wrong Bummie? Are you hurt?"

"My parents...they found out. They said that...that we couldn't be together. That they would do anything they had to, to keep me from you."

Jinki in a harsh breath. So this was it then. "What are you going to do Kibum?"

"Can I come over?"

The question left Jinki confused. "But I thought-"

"I'll have Jonghyun help sneak me out. Please Jinki, I need to see you."

"Ara-arasso."

"Thank you Jinki," Kibum said, sounding relieved. "Saranghae." Jinki felt his heart constrict at that one little word.

"Saranghae, Kibum-ah."

----

"I'm scared Jinki."

"I know Bummie, I know. But what are we going to do? Your parents won't change their minds."

Kibum's eyes lit up with an idea.

"Hyung, I know."

"What? What is it Kibummie?"

"Kidnap me hyung." Jinki's eyes widened in surprise.

"Wh-what?"

"Kidnap me, steal me away, take me from here. Lets leave this place and start anew. We can go to America and build a cafe like we always talked about. You'll make some of your delicious coffee, and I'll make my amazing sweets." The sincerity in Kibum's eyes was worrying Jinki. He couldn't really want to do that, could he?

"Kibum..."

"And then, we could finally get married, like we wanted. This ring won't just be a promise, I won't just be your boyfriend."

"Kibum..."

"I don't want to keep it a secret anymore, I can't. I want to be with you without a fear of being hated by everyone. I want to be with you legally. I want to be acknowledged as yours, only yours, to be your yeobo, for real."

"Kibum, I don't think-" Jinki was stopped by a rough kiss on the lips. Kibum placed his hand on Jinki's chest, right over his racing heart. "Stop thinking hyung, and just do. Listen to your heart. The only way we can be together, is if we leave. So please," Kibum leaned in closer, breath ghosting over Jinki's lips, "kidnap me hyung."

----

"Kibum and I are leaving." Jinki yelled at Jonghyun's retreating back. He watched as Jonghyun stopped and turned around slowly, shock written across his face.

"What?"

Steeling himself, Jinki repeated his words. "Kibum and I are leaving. We're going to America."

Jonghyun looked as if he'd been punched in the stomach. "You're...leaving?"

Jinki nodded. "I'm sorry Jonghyun, but Kibum thinks its for the best, and I agree."

Jonghyun shook his head. "It's for the best? Leaving Korea, leaving your lives...leaving me....you think that's for the best?"

Jinki looked away, unable to look at his friend's hurt face.

"What are our lives Jonghyun? We can never live normally, never have a true relationship, as long as we're here, surrounded by people who won't accept us."

"I accept you..." Jonghyun said in a small voice. Jinki looked up, breath catching when he saw the tears freely streaming down Jonghyun's face.

"Jonghyun, I..." Jinki grabbed Jonghyun's shoulders.  "Please understand."

"Hyung, but...how can you just leave?"  Jinki sighed, hating the lost and pained face Jonghyun wore.

"Please, trust me. You know me. I wouldn't do something like this unless I truly believed it was the only way." Jonghyun nodded.

"I believe you." Jinki let out a sigh of relief. "Lee Jinki, I am putting my trust in you to take care of my brother. Protect him always, stay with him always, but most of all, love him always. Promise me that, and I will let you two go."

Jinki stared into Jonghyun's eyes, gaze more strong and determined than Jonghyun had ever seen before.

"Kim Jonghyun. I promise. I will protect Kibum until the end."

----

"I can't believe we're really doing this! We're going to finally live our lives the way we wanted to. Jinki, thank you so much. I love you so much." Kibum kissed Jinki on the lips, not caring who saw; it wasn't like the two were going to be in Korea for much longer.

"Love you too Bummie." Jinki laughed, watching Kibum prance around with his suitcase in hand.

"Don't call me Bummie anymore. We're starting a new life. From now on, I'll be Key!" Kibum declared, using the name he often joked about with Jonghyun.

"Yah, we're going to America. They speak english there. Don't you remember what key is in English?"

"Of course." Kibum scoffed. "And my name makes perfect sense. After all, I have the key to your heart."

Jinki shoved Kibum. "What's with you being so cheesy? It's weird. That's my job."

"I don't know... I'm just so happy hyung. Finally, I can be with you without it being a secret. I've never been this happy."

"Arasso, arasso. Just calm down a bit, or you might just drop dead from over exertion. What would I do without my Bummie?"

"Aish, I'm not that hyper. You're just getting old."

"I am not!"

Kibum laughed and skipped out onto the crosswalk leading to the airport.

"Hurry up old man!" He teased, stopping and turning around momentarily to look back at Jinki.

"I'm coming Kibum, slow down!" Jinki paused at the edge to catch his breath, still shaking with laughter.

"Old man!" Kibum yelled again. Jinki looked up just in time to see the black car racing down the street- and crash right into Kibum.

"No!"

-----

It was a blur of flashing lights and people yelling. Jinki couldn't function at all, staring at the crumpled form of his boyfriend, laying in a pool of blood. It wasn't until the paramedics began moving Kibum onto a stretcher did Jinki reanimate.

"What are you doing?"

"We're taking him to the hospital. He's in critical condition."

"Please, can I come with?" There was short, silent exchange between the two paramedics, before the nodded to the disoriented man.

"Just climb in the back after we get the boy in, okay?"

Jinki nodded.

-----

"I'm sorry Mr. Lee, but your friend wasn't able to pull through. His injuries were too severe. We're terribly sorry."

Too late. He was too late. Jinki felt his whole world crash down around him. This couldn't be happening. It couldn't be happening. This had to be dream. Yes, it was all just one horrible, horrible nightmare.

----

"Tell me it's a lie!" Jonghyun yelled, terror on his face. "Please, hyung, tell me it's not true. They're lying right. This is just a sick joke. Please hyung, tell me it's a joke."

Jinki stood there frozen, tears silently streaming down his face as Jonghyun broke down, sobbing.

----

People had long left the room since the funeral, yet Jinki remained, sobbing as he clung to Kibum's picture like a child clutching a stuffed toy. That was how Jonghyun found him, late into the night, having coming back from comforting his grandmother at home. Jonghyun pulled him into an upright position, wrapping his strong arms around the elder's shaking shoulders.

"Why aren't you mad at me?" Jinki asked quietly.

"What?" Jonghyun frowned at the man beside him.

"I promised I would keep Kibum safe. I failed." Jinki choked on the last sentence, tears once again preventing him from speaking fully. "You should be hitting me, screaming at me, hating me, not sitting here comforting me."

"I..." Jonghyun took a deep breath. "I wanted to be. I really wanted to hate you, but seeing you like this, I couldn't. You loved him, more than anyone else, maybe more than me even. How can I hate someone who gave Kibum so much love?"

"I don't deserve forgiveness Jonghyun."

"Well tough luck, because I'm going to stick by you, whether you like it or not."

----

"What are you going to do?" Jonghyun asked, staring at the blank wall in front of him. Boxes surrounded them, filled with Jinki's belongings.

"I'm going to do what we planned to do once we were in America. I'm going to build a coffee shop. It's the least I can do for him."

Jonghyun nodded. "He'd like that." He said softly.

"And I promise you, I won't let Kibum be forgotten. I swear, I won't love anyone as I loved him. I could never do that. His love was only for me, and in turn, mine will only be for him."

"Hyung." Jonghyun gasped in surprise.

"I know what you're thinking, but it's only right. From this moment on, I will close my heart. Kim Kibum, you will be my last love."

----

"Oh, and one more thing." Jinki said, stopping Jonghyun.

"What is it?"

"Don't call me Jinki anymore. From now on, I'll be Onew."


 

Onew finished his story, tears streaming down his face. This was the first time he'd told his story to anyone, in the four years since the accident. Onew bit his lip worriedly as he waited for Taemin's response. Taemin was silent, staring at Onew with an indecipherable expression.

Still silent, Taemin leaned forward, eyes locked with Onew's, and pressed his lips against Onew's gently. Too shocked to respond, Onew just sat there, eyes wide. Taemin pulled back slightly, his nose brushing against Onew's.

"Whatever happens, I'll stay by your side hyung. I can't replace your Kibum, but please, let me love you." Onew nodded, tears glistening at the edge of his eyes, and this time, when Taemin kissed him, he finally kissed him back.

 

-----------

Do you love me yet? Do ya? This was supposed to be finished and uploaded days go but  long story short, my Onew condition acted up and resulted in the computer screen becoming too painful to look at >< More fluffy ontae coming in the next chapter though, prepare your feels~